Page 186 of 191 FirstFirst ... 86136176182183184185186187188189190 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,580 of 5705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Bit of that for sure.

Jay Chapman and Jordan Hamilton we’re too polite to have successful careers in the league. The guys who made it from that generation had to be chippy.
    Jordan Hamilton lacked talent and all jokes aside, Mullins brought more to the team outside of that passport. Chapman had some ability, but his best position was as a 10, which is a DP position in MLS. His workrate and defensive ability was never enough to take Delgado or Bradley out of the lineup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Jordan Hamilton lacked talent and all jokes aside, Mullins brought more to the team outside of that passport. Chapman had some ability, but his best position was as a 10, which is a DP position in MLS. His workrate and defensive ability was never enough to take Delgado or Bradley out of the lineup.
    Hamilton had obvious talent and was denied the ability to move when Jozy (and the nepotistic Spencer signing) stalled his development. I agree on Chapman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Hamilton had obvious talent and was denied the ability to move when Jozy (and the nepotistic Spencer signing) stalled his development. I agree on Chapman.
    Hamilton had talent. I think they gave up on him too quickly. He had 11 goals in 58 games, or something like that. But if you look at his goal per minute it was more impressive as he was usually coming in late.

He seemed to me to have intensity issues -- he looked pretty laid-back at all times -- and blew a few finishes with poor concentration. But he was very young when we let him go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re.: Criscito To TFC

By my assessment, and some accounts, Criscito and Destro were likely the first pieces in this puzzle, then followed by Insigne. IMO, a lead- gift born and strengthened from that engagement. I don't know about an Insigne/Criscito real estate connect to TO but IIRC there may have been a Di Cuollo connect via MLS/NY between him and a Ciro Immobile and Insigne real estate venture in that city according to his agent.

I do not have a sense from preseason what BB is doing with formation/s.
    Recent history at LAFC suggests in game morphs from starts predominantly involving a 4-3-3 or 3-1-4-2.
    In an interview he has telegraphed a respect for Mancini tactics; lots of pundit analytical breakdowns on Mancini, but for me simply at start a 4-4-3 with elite game morphs into a mid press 2-5-3 and an attack of 2-3-5.

For now, IMO there is a sense by some that BB will be about implementing 'Possession, Pressing & Personnel Football' at TFC. This description seems correct and best to me. It would explain most of the context for the current TFC on-goings. I really enjoyed this 'in the weeds' article by Kieran Doyle-Davis at American Soccer Analysis which offers support for the position and really encapsulates the premise. By the way, IIRC, within this article he provides an assessment with analytics argument that Westberg was/is still better than Bono; ouch!

https://www.americansocceranalysis.c...-and-personnel

IMO, Criscito, for the first 18 months will be more active/participatory than not and then, depending, will transition out with more platooning. IIRC he does play Centre-Back but in a three and always as a Centre-Back Left, I cannot recall if he has recently played the Centre Centre-Back in a three or in a two or four the Centre-Back Left. Otherwise, in a four at back he plays Left-Back. I think Left-Back is his current preferred position. I agree his addition is puzzling because Mavinga is here; perhaps, or eventually, rotation with or depth for Mavinga. However, if BB goes with a Back-Three I do not see Criscito or Mavinga playing Centre-Back Right; nor do I see Solcedo there. Solcedo in a Centre-Back Three should be at the Centre. Accordingly, there may be a greater likelihood that BB goes with a hybrid 4-3-3 with in game morphing to a Mancini press and attack with Criscito at Left-Back. In this set-up Solcedo should be Centre-Back Right and Mavinga at Centre-Back Left.

With Criscito as the Left-Back, in that formation, in a mid press and with Insigne typically dropping deep defensively on that side, any link up between the two would be easy. It seems to me this is what those two players may desire; the chance to often play/interact on the pitch with one another. There must be an agreement by TFC or at least an accommodation in principle by BB to try it. I do not believe Criscito is coming just to be a role model leader but ride the bench; even if he is old and getting out of Dodge- SeriaA (Genoa) like Insigne.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 02-20-2022 at 03:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Lots of us are on that one. He showed plenty of passing and tackling talent when younger but the word was he was a hothead, which was sort of the word on Raheem as well. Our production line was a total shitshow back then.
    I can remember the year Kaye started playing for the senior academy side. I use to go to those matches at Downsview. He played as a forward, both out wide and centrally. He definitely stood out on that team. Then when TFC2 was formed, we all got to see him play at leftback, which just didn’t work. I wasn’t surprised to see him have a pro career but definitely surprised by the type of player he turned into.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disagree on Hamilton. That kid could actually finish. The issue was he never worked enough to round out his game.

Chapman, I think could have legit turned into something special but as you point out, didn’t put the work defensively so that took away his option of being a box-to-box player. Leaving that aside, he sat around waiting for his chance too long. To me, that’s primarily what ruined his career. After that one standout season he had with limited minutes, he should have been forcing the issue with management. Instead he floated through key years without a real opportunity, which would kill any career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least Hamilton scored goals for us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Houston Dynamo 2 signed Talen Maples. Was our 2021 draft pick, played with TFC2 last year, and was in TFC's pre-season camp this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully both Hamilton and Chapman find success this year.

I got some news to share though...

It is friggin' game week!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mikeforbes View Post
    hopefully both hamilton and chapman find success this year.

I got some news to share though...

It is friggin' game week!

finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched the second half of Genoa’s game today. They are awful. Criscito didn’t play - I assume he’s still out injured. Destro made some good runs and was in good positions, but the rest of the team just could not get him the ball. Based on watching them for 45 minutes I can’t see them staying up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    I watched the second half of Genoa’s game today. They are awful. Criscito didn’t play - I assume he’s still out injured. Destro made some good runs and was in good positions, but the rest of the team just could not get him the ball. Based on watching them for 45 minutes I can’t see them staying up.
    There was a piece in one of the Italian papers a couple of weeks ago saying Destro's certain to go because they're certain to go down, and even with some injury history, he's too good for Serie B wages.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think two things can both true at the same time with TFC and many of the young (especially Cdn) players that have come through:

1) TFC have often been really bad at developing young players, easing them in, letting them grow gradually. Then they may suddenly get thrown to the wolves when all of TFC's over-played regulars are out injured or otherwise absent -- with much too much expected all at once from the young guys. Their confidence is shot, and most of us decide that they suck.

2) Many young Cdn players on TFC have acted like something is owed to them. They don't always put in the effort or grit that you would expect from a hungry young player trying to fight for a spot in the first team. I'll always remember: I had a seat for one game much closer to the pitch than normal, near the SW corner of BMO field. Cheyrou absolutely tore a strip off Hamilton. They were obviously supposed to high press, and Jordan did a slow jog "look at me I'm gonna pretend like I'm trying" towards the opposing keeper. I think Cheyrou was captain that day as Bradley was away, and Cheyrou was fairly far forward and certainly doing his part in the high press.

I can think of many other young Canadians who acted similar on TFC. I always felt it was the result of them previously being medium-sized fish in the tiny pond of Cdn soccer.

Oh and 1) may be related to 2) if TFC isn't helping them to develop the mindset that they need for success.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 02-20-2022 at 09:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spoke to someone with connections to the Insigne family, and they were almost certain that Belotti will be here as well come summer. Apparently Toronto’s offer isn’t being matched elsewhere and it’s too good of an offer to turn down. Take that with a grain of salt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Karpf View Post
    Spoke to someone with connections to the Insigne family, and they were almost certain that Belotti will be here as well come summer. Apparently Toronto’s offer isn’t being matched elsewhere and it’s too good of an offer to turn down. Take that with a grain of salt.
    Some rumors of AC Milan being his prefered destination. However, if they are offering 3 million for him to backup Giroud or Zlatan and we are offering the reported 10 million to come here and bang goals with Insigne, I think we gotta be considered the favorites. He can always retire to Serie A afterwards.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Houston Dynamo 2 signed Talen Maples. Was our 2021 draft pick, played with TFC2 last year, and was in TFC's pre-season camp this year.
    Not surprising, American/int draft picks may get a year or two TFC II but typically are never allowed to block a Canadian kid coming up from the academy. I feel with Talen he was going to get an opportunity to grab one of the last few spots on the first team even if it was long shot, otherwise he would be moving on.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was a piece in one of the Italian papers a couple of weeks ago saying Destro's certain to go because they're certain to go down, and even with some injury history, he's too good for Serie B wages.
    Is Italy like England where dropping down to the second division would cause a huge drop in revenue? Would they maybe keep him at his wages with a eye towards moving back up quick?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Is Italy like England where dropping down to the second division would cause a huge drop in revenue? Would they maybe keep him at his wages with a eye towards moving back up quick?
    Yes, it's a massive drop. On average, Serie B teams have half the revenue of EFL Championship teams, and only about 12 percent of the revenue of Serie A teams. So, yes, wages are much lower in Serie B. Similar to the Premiership, relegated teams do receive a parachute payment. Regardless, Destro is out of contract on June 30. So it's hard to imagine Genoa will be able to compete for his signature this summer.

Here are the data:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ues_by_revenue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogon View Post
    Yes, it's a massive drop. On average, Serie B teams have half the revenue of EFL Championship teams, and only about 12 percent of the revenue of Serie A teams. So, yes, wages are much lower in Serie B. Similar to the Premiership, relegated teams do receive a parachute payment. Regardless, Destro is out of contract on June 30. So it's hard to imagine Genoa will be able to compete for his signature this summer.

Here are the data:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ues_by_revenue
    Wow. Shocking how high MLS revenues are compared to other leagues. That's salary control for you, I guess....

Way ahead of Liga MX, the Championship, Serie B

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this will forbes?

In all seriousness, really hope this is true.
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 02-21-2022 at 02:56 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good thing is if MLSE are willing to spend that amount, even if Belotti turns Manning down, there will be another target worth spending that amount on in the summer.

We are back to being the kings of go big DP's in MLS. If we win in 2023 with this strategy, a lot of owners in this league are going to be very pissed off. Its really only us, Miami & LAG going down this path right now.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. Shocking how high MLS revenues are compared to other leagues. That's salary control for you, I guess....

Way ahead of Liga MX, the Championship, Serie B
    Must admit I am surprised how high MLS revenue it compared to other leagues, but not sure how it ties to salary control... Having more teams than other leagues also likely adds to revenue (but I think per team average is still higher)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Good thing is if MLSE are willing to spend that amount, even if Belotti turns Manning down, there will be another target worth spending that amount on in the summer.

We are back to being the kings of go big DP's in MLS. If we win in 2023 with this strategy, a lot of owners in this league are going to be very pissed off. Its really only us, Miami & LAG going down this path right now.
    I would put Atlanta in that group too considering all the money they have spent on transfer? How many low end DPs are there , many below 1-2!million ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This notion is in keeping with my assessment of some of the internet information out there.
    Belotti's childhood dream, playing for AC Milan whom now needs to spread him some more of that Nutella.
    Problems are Zlatan (40) and Giroud (35); transition status and plans for them both by the team and their own plans for themselves.
    Zlatan seems to be on a year by year contract but as long as fit demands to be starting.
    Not sure about Giroud. I believe he is the de facto second fiddle to Zlatan, will he accept being second fiddle to Belotti?
    I suspect the tell tale sign should be the status of Destro. TFC action or inaction with respect to him.
    I am worried about 'For The Want Of A Nail' we offend and / or lose Destro.
    Do not get me wrong, I would really love, very much so, Belotti in Red.
    However, IMO, Destro is Moneyball, by an account already committed to TFC, has a real connect to MB, but to now cast him aside is a risk.
    My understanding is Manning has returned from Italy and is / or was in Texas with the team.
    While there are very recent rumours out there about Criscito's pending status, the Destro front has gone and remained very quiet.
    We will see which signs will tell the tale.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 02-22-2022 at 01:22 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As of today there are 23 players on the TFC roster not including Insigne. With a resolution yet to come with Kemar Lawrence and a potential loan for Luke Signh, are we expecting at least a few home grown, young player type signings this week ahead of the season opener? It has been report that Chung will be signed, plus it appears that Kobe Franklin is still around, so how much of the roster do we expect to be filled out over the next couple days? They could do some fringe type signings to fill a hole for the short term and see how it goes, where in a month or so they are simply released if it did not work out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    As of today there are 23 players on the TFC roster not including Insigne. With a resolution yet to come with Kemar Lawrence and a potential loan for Luke Signh, are we expecting at least a few home grown, young player type signings this week ahead of the season opener? It has been report that Chung will be signed, plus it appears that Kobe Franklin is still around, so how much of the roster do we expect to be filled out over the next couple days? They could do some fringe type signings to fill a hole for the short term and see how it goes, where in a month or so they are simply released if it did not work out?
    I'd be a little disappointed if they didn't sign Walkes. He's looked up for it in the preseason games, very active, great work rate, no huge gaffes. Viader didn't feature much but looked okay when he was out there. I imagine Hugo will go back to TFCII even with the goal, as he needs minutes and can always be called up if we're short a striker behind Jiminez, Akinola and Peruzza.

I suspect like most people I see the obvious need as being more experience at fullback/wingback and more speed on the right side.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finding it real weird that nobody at all is discussing Priso - not pundits - not journos - not Bradley. People list the young people at TFC & Priso isn't mentionned.

Either he's had a bad camp or he is still injured or something else is going on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought he was still out for a few months

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    I thought he was still out for a few months
    No, pretty sure he in a few of the preseason games. Maybe it's just that the established three are Osorio, Bradley and Pozuelo so not much attention is being paid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Finding it real weird that nobody at all is discussing Priso - not pundits - not journos - not Bradley. People list the young people at TFC & Priso isn't mentionned.

Either he's had a bad camp or he is still injured or something else is going on.
    He hasn’t recovered from injury enough to be feature and therefore isn’t relevant to those discussing the first part of the seaspns