Page 150 of 191 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150151152153154160 ... LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,500 of 5705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm ok with Bradley and Gioivnco both on the team as squad rotation players the only thing that could sour it for me is an over pay if it limits us else where. Altidore is a gigantic no for me. He's over stayed his welcome by 2 years and is a major distraction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Really hard to know what to think. On the one hand, he started against Mexico two months ago. On the other, once he isn’t getting regular minutes, his performance will likely degrade fast, at his age. This must be a big discussion topic inside the room for Herdman, too.
    After watching tonight's game vs Honduras I still am not sure how I would feel. He had a solid game tonight in the midfield but Honduras never really showed any signs of being threatening through the middle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@samstejskal

Late night news:

Source tells me that Toronto FC has completed its deal to sign Carlos Salcedo from Tigres. The Mexican center back will be a DP for TFC.

Ex-TFC DP Yeferson Soteldo headed the other way. He leaves Toronto for Tigres after one disappointing season in Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salcedo is a full blown DP. Pozuelo will have to move to accomodate any other non-Insigne DP signings.

Last edited by MikeForbes; 01-28-2022 at 07:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Salcedo is a full blown DP. Pozuelo will have to move to accomodate any other non-Insigne DP signings.

Poor use of DP spot, not even a discussion

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who comes in? Belotti is a fine player but is probably the only player I'd replace Pozuelo with. I don't think any other player would require a DP contract that would improve the team beyond what we'd already have. Destro? Maybe, but Manning knows what his financial restraints are. Criscito? I don't think he's a DP.

And for that matter, who would we put in Pozuelo's place? Osorio? Probably.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post

Two things might be at play here

a) for once we are hearing about both plan A & plan B at the same time - plan B is Salcedo - Plan A was the Italian DP striker discussion (Belloti) with Soteldo going somewhere else

b) The players we are hearing about beyond Belloti were never going to be DP's

I have problems believing they are moving Poz but stranger things have happened.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Poor use of DP spot, not even a discussion
    I have to say, I do not understand it.

Salcedo may be “worth” the $3M or whatever he is being paid, he is a starter at a Tigres, no argument there. I really don’t know, I don’t watch Liga MX.

Also winning teams are strong through the spine, no argument there. This is a way to achieve that. There could be other ways, and there are many good MLS CBs at cheaper prices.

But what is the strategy? Having just put $75M on Insigne, do you really just stop there, and go all “we are all about winning” with the rest of it? Shouldn’t all three DPs be offensive, impact, TV ratings generating players, if you are on the road Manning just said he is on? Plus, what is a prominent Mexican player that costs this much and doesn't produce goals doing in Canada? He should be on the Galaxy or similar, legions there love the guy, whereas nobody beyond the 100 of us here have ever heard of him. This is extremely strange, from a market development POV. Seeing this, this is why I get torqued when I see 5 different CMNT players move, and we are not in on any of it… (There is also significant risk he won’t settle, like most other Latin Americans that have come here… )

Feels to me like Manning did this because he knew Salcedo.

It might work out, but it lacks coherence.

Also, it is kind of hard not to come to the conclusion that Poz is leaving. If not now, in the summer….
    Last edited by ensco; 01-28-2022 at 07:54 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone is forgetting the main thing regarding this news; this is MLS.

There's a new TV deal and I just read an article questioning why so many DPs aren't coming until July. Put 2 + 2 together added to Houston & Dallas suddenly spending large and you can kind of see what's probably happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to say, I do not understand it.

Salcedo may be “worth” the $3M or whatever he is being paid, he is a starter at a Tigres, no argument there. I really don’t know, I don’t watch Liga MX.

Also winning teams are strong through the spine, no argument there. This is a way to achieve that. There could be other ways, and there are many good MLS CBs at cheaper prices.

But what is the strategy? Having just put $75M on Insigne, do you really just stop there, and go all “we are all about winning” with the rest of it? Shouldn’t all three DPs be offensive, impact, TV ratings generating players, if you are on the road Manning just said he is on? Plus, what is a prominent Mexican player that costs this much and doesn't produce goals doing in Canada? He should be on the Galaxy or similar, legions there love the guy, whereas nobody beyond the 100 of us here have ever heard of him. This is extremely strange, from a market development POV. Seeing this, this is why I get torqued when I see 5 different CMNT players move, and we are not in on any of it… (There is also significant risk he won’t settle, like most other Latin Americans that have come here… )

Feels to me like Manning did this because he knew Salcedo.

It might work out, but it lacks coherence.

Also, it is kind of hard not to come to the conclusion that Poz is leaving. If not now, in the summer….
    Part of me feels like this move is being purely driven by a perceived need to ship Soteldo out. Surely if you’re committed to big name Italian DP splash bonanza strategy you’d rather have Romagnoli than Salcedo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Agreed you would have to think Bill Manning and Co. know something. MLS is on the rise so will a DP slot just watch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone has seen rumours about 4th DP slots etc, could they link it?

The CBA runs through 2025 and adding a DP spot is not straightforward.

The MLSPA, whose membership is 98% non-DP, is not just going to allow that. There would have to very significant things included that “float all boats” as part of that.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's no rumors of a 4th DP spot.

There is an escalator built in to the new CBA where if there are new/increased media revenues the league can increase player budgets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If MLS adds a 4th DP spot they will make it have some ridiculous caveats. The 4th DP must be between 26-28 and any transfer fees must be matched and sent to Dan Hunt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salcedo as a DP is disappointing on the surface, but perhaps his salary range will allow us to buy 3 U22 players? Silver lining?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    I thought Borjan looked off tonight, especially the first half, misread some of the balls in the air and a bit tentative on some of the balls he came for but he sure came up huge when needed.
    I saw that as well, but he was commanding his line (which i thought look out of sorts at times) and distributing the ball so cleanly. I will give him a bit of a break on a couple of punches. I tell you what, i would rather have him and develop a protege. Although to be fair, even KJ was saying it looks like this is some of the best football he has played in 10 years.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I don't know what to think about Giovinco coming back, but if he's fit in training, and if Bob Bradley sees a good spot for him, then this must make sense.......

With Seba it would be so much easier, since he will continue living in Toronto anyway. Pay him $500k or so for 1-2 years as a player, perhaps plus some performance-based bonuses. (Although then he would get upset if he doesn't get enough playing time.) After that he gets a 5- or 10-year staff contract with TFC. I mean, Hernandez is the "Manager for Player Engagement with Toronto FC." So Seba is then the "Manager for Italian Player Engagement" as he works to keep Insigne and others after him happy in Toronto. Seba's role also includes schmoozing with the folks from Vaughan and their friends in the TFC Premium, Club and Box seats; and other "Ambassador" roles in that community, similar to Dero.

Seba just has to accept that on paper he won't be paid much as a player.

^Not going to repost the whole thing but Auzzy, exactly this. And this is MLSE's style.... bring back a Legend. For Seba especially if we spend on the team to making cup runs real. He will make more money in the long run. The only problem is that his agent might not, so take our advice Gio ....LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salcedo as a DP adter signing Insigne is a real feeling of whip lash. As others have said, the strategy here is completely incoherent. There has to be more to this than meets the eye, either with some kind of future buying down shenanigans or, as people have speculated, the new TV team changing the salary cap structure to enable something. Because as this stands it's a really, really weird DP to pair with your insanely highly paid hype generating statement DP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Salcedo as a DP adter signing Insigne is a real feeling of whip lash. As others have said, the strategy here is completely incoherent. There has to be more to this than meets the eye, either with some kind of future buying down shenanigans or, as people have speculated, the new TV team changing the salary cap structure to enable something. Because as this stands it's a really, really weird DP to pair with your insanely highly paid hype generating statement DP
    I think it's got to be to unlock the 3 under 22 slots. But seems a big waste of a DP slot, and pretty much precludes Belotti I would think. Would be much better used for a pure striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I’m going to wildly speculate, there’s no way he can be bought down right now. But maybe if we get a cheque for JMR in the summer or other things fall into place that allow that to change.

Otherwise it’s a bit of a baffling move. You can get serviceable CB’s on non-DP money, but it’s tough to fill out some of these attacking positions without use of the spot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I'm not against the use of a DP slot on a CB, I don't think this is who I'd use it on. AFAIK Salcedo was on $1.1M USD @ Tigers...If we couldn't get him to an amount that would allow for buying down (~$1.6M?) then I would have walked from this deal full stop. Nothing against the player at all, but as many have said there are some MLS alternatives that we could have thrown Graber bucks at and kept the DP slot open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's also the getting rid of Soteldo piece. That probably has had a big influence on this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still not sure he cannot be bought down, otherwise why bother waiting for the transaction with Soteldo going the other way.

If Salcedo is an bona fide DP we would have announced him already since he's reportedly agreed to the terms and later negotiate the Soteldo transfer as a separate transaction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basically the only way the Salcedo thing makes sense is if his contract is heavily front loaded and he becomes buy downable in year 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have needed a quality CB for years. If the DP tag is necessary to get Salcedo and at the same time be the mechanism to move on from Soteldo I think I am okay with it. Salcedo is quality, he looked really good when he first got to Germany. It's not a sexy signing but it is one we really need.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone has seen rumours about 4th DP slots etc, could they link it?

The CBA runs through 2025 and adding a DP spot is not straightforward.

The MLSPA, whose membership is 98% non-DP, is not just going to allow that. There would have to very significant things included that “float all boats” as part of that.
    This is true, however they could keep 3 DP spots but change the thresholds.

For example; MLS threshold from $612K to say $800K, TAM level from $801K to say $2.5M, DPs above that. And at the same time raise the basement from $63K to $85K or something like that. They have a clause to negotiate changes that benefit the players so this is all easy to accomplish.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets wait to see the official announcement and terms before calling this one way or the other. You win championships on defense, let's hope he can command the line and learn to speak Italian for the summer..

As an aside does our back line speak English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese or French...LOL

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    We have needed a quality CB for years. If the DP tag is necessary to get Salcedo and at the same time be the mechanism to move on from Soteldo I think I am okay with it. Salcedo is quality, he looked really good when he first got to Germany. It's not a sexy signing but it is one we really need.
    Im with you on this. I don't believe a DP needs to be a goal scorer.

A DP needs to be a game changer - and we have seen that a quality/capable CB leader is a game changer.

I don't know if Salcedo is quality, I don't watch LMX - but he's a starter on a prominent team and he's only 28, so I can only assume he's worth the $$