Page 147 of 185 FirstFirst ... 4797137143144145146147148149150151157 ... LastLast
Results 4,381 to 4,410 of 5705

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fraser was pretty wonky, I thought. Him picking passes has never been an issue for him though. What a beauty to David there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salcedo in as dp and soteldo gone

Late night news:Source tells me that Toronto FC has completed its deal to sign Carlos Salcedo from Tigres. The Mexican center back will be a DP for TFC.Ex-TFC DP Yeferson Soteldo headed the other way. He leaves Toronto for Tigres after one disappointing season in Canada.

https://twitter.com/samstejskal/status/1486936360904794112?s=20&t=tFVQ2PVyefJ53b6AbU8Z1Q

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    Salcedo in as dp and soteldo gone

Late night news:Source tells me that Toronto FC has completed its deal to sign Carlos Salcedo from Tigres. The Mexican center back will be a DP for TFC.Ex-TFC DP Yeferson Soteldo headed the other way. He leaves Toronto for Tigres after one disappointing season in Canada.

https://twitter.com/samstejskal/status/1486936360904794112?s=20&t=tFVQ2PVyefJ53b6AbU8Z1Q
    If he's a DP that either means no new DP striker or Poz is gone.

I actually don't think Salcedo is going to be a DP. I think he'll just have his salary bought down with a lot of GAM.
    Last edited by James17930; 01-28-2022 at 04:49 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post

I actually don't think Salcedo isn't going to be a DP. I think he'll just have his salary bought down with a lot of GAM.
    Maybe it helps here that Insigne is coming in July. Salcedo as DP for 6 months, then bought down.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post

I actually don't think Salcedo isn't going to be a DP. I think he'll just have his salary bought down with a lot of GAM.
    That’s not necessarily true though, is it? My understanding is that it depends on how much he would be making as a DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm ok with Bradley and Gioivnco both on the team as squad rotation players the only thing that could sour it for me is an over pay if it limits us else where. Altidore is a gigantic no for me. He's over stayed his welcome by 2 years and is a major distraction.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know what to think about Giovinco coming back, but if he's fit in training, and if Bob Bradley sees a good spot for him, then this must make sense.

The salary will not actually be an issue, and that recent interview with Giovinco was surprising. Perhaps Manning and Co had a chance to speak with him in quiet in the meantime and explain some things.

With Giovinco planning to stay in Toronto anyway, the pay is in fact a gimme. I mean look at the roles of Dero, Jason Hernandez and Justin Morrow with TFC after retiring as players. There were other ex-TFC players that hung around Toronto at least for a while and had somewhat plausible post-player careers. Then there were the real laughers, like Cheyrou, Frings, and others I can't remember, where post-playing-career roles with TFC were announced, yet they barely stayed in Toronto after retiring as players, and were never heard from again in any TFC context. Common thread among all the above: low salaries in their last 1-2 years playing for TFC. Or in the case of Frings' retirement, probably some kind of insurance payout, plus a retirement payout or buyout of his remaining salary, which was also disguised as a bogus job. The wording at the time: "Frings ... will continue to serve TFC in what amounts to a consulting role in Europe" -- LOL. Cheyrou is also a funny story that I remember: supposedly hired as a TFC Academy coach in late Dec. 2017 after playing for peanuts in his final year with TFC, yet I don't know if he ever did anything with the Academy. And in August of 2018 he was already back in France. Probably earned more in the first 7 months of 2018 than he did in his last two years playing at TFC.

With Seba it would be so much easier, since he will continue living in Toronto anyway. Pay him $500k or so for 1-2 years as a player, perhaps plus some performance-based bonuses. (Although then he would get upset if he doesn't get enough playing time.) After that he gets a 5- or 10-year staff contract with TFC. I mean, Hernandez is the "Manager for Player Engagement with Toronto FC." So Seba is then the "Manager for Italian Player Engagement" as he works to keep Insigne and others after him happy in Toronto. Seba's role also includes schmoozing with the folks from Vaughan and their friends in the TFC Premium, Club and Box seats; and other "Ambassador" roles in that community, similar to Dero.

Seba just has to accept that on paper he won't be paid much as a player. Probably that conversation has happened in the meantime, and it remains for Bob Bradley and assistants to confirm that Seba won't pully a hammy in his first game off the bench at TFC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I don't know what to think about Giovinco coming back, but if he's fit in training, and if Bob Bradley sees a good spot for him, then this must make sense.......

With Seba it would be so much easier, since he will continue living in Toronto anyway. Pay him $500k or so for 1-2 years as a player, perhaps plus some performance-based bonuses. (Although then he would get upset if he doesn't get enough playing time.) After that he gets a 5- or 10-year staff contract with TFC. I mean, Hernandez is the "Manager for Player Engagement with Toronto FC." So Seba is then the "Manager for Italian Player Engagement" as he works to keep Insigne and others after him happy in Toronto. Seba's role also includes schmoozing with the folks from Vaughan and their friends in the TFC Premium, Club and Box seats; and other "Ambassador" roles in that community, similar to Dero.

Seba just has to accept that on paper he won't be paid much as a player.

^Not going to repost the whole thing but Auzzy, exactly this. And this is MLSE's style.... bring back a Legend. For Seba especially if we spend on the team to making cup runs real. He will make more money in the long run. The only problem is that his agent might not, so take our advice Gio ....LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@samstejskal

Late night news:

Source tells me that Toronto FC has completed its deal to sign Carlos Salcedo from Tigres. The Mexican center back will be a DP for TFC.

Ex-TFC DP Yeferson Soteldo headed the other way. He leaves Toronto for Tigres after one disappointing season in Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salcedo is a full blown DP. Pozuelo will have to move to accomodate any other non-Insigne DP signings.

Last edited by MikeForbes; 01-28-2022 at 07:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Salcedo is a full blown DP. Pozuelo will have to move to accomodate any other non-Insigne DP signings.

Poor use of DP spot, not even a discussion

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Poor use of DP spot, not even a discussion
    I have to say, I do not understand it.

Salcedo may be “worth” the $3M or whatever he is being paid, he is a starter at a Tigres, no argument there. I really don’t know, I don’t watch Liga MX.

Also winning teams are strong through the spine, no argument there. This is a way to achieve that. There could be other ways, and there are many good MLS CBs at cheaper prices.

But what is the strategy? Having just put $75M on Insigne, do you really just stop there, and go all “we are all about winning” with the rest of it? Shouldn’t all three DPs be offensive, impact, TV ratings generating players, if you are on the road Manning just said he is on? Plus, what is a prominent Mexican player that costs this much and doesn't produce goals doing in Canada? He should be on the Galaxy or similar, legions there love the guy, whereas nobody beyond the 100 of us here have ever heard of him. This is extremely strange, from a market development POV. Seeing this, this is why I get torqued when I see 5 different CMNT players move, and we are not in on any of it… (There is also significant risk he won’t settle, like most other Latin Americans that have come here… )

Feels to me like Manning did this because he knew Salcedo.

It might work out, but it lacks coherence.

Also, it is kind of hard not to come to the conclusion that Poz is leaving. If not now, in the summer….
    Last edited by ensco; 01-28-2022 at 07:54 AM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I have to say, I do not understand it.

Salcedo may be “worth” the $3M or whatever he is being paid, he is a starter at a Tigres, no argument there. I really don’t know, I don’t watch Liga MX.

Also winning teams are strong through the spine, no argument there. This is a way to achieve that. There could be other ways, and there are many good MLS CBs at cheaper prices.

But what is the strategy? Having just put $75M on Insigne, do you really just stop there, and go all “we are all about winning” with the rest of it? Shouldn’t all three DPs be offensive, impact, TV ratings generating players, if you are on the road Manning just said he is on? Plus, what is a prominent Mexican player that costs this much and doesn't produce goals doing in Canada? He should be on the Galaxy or similar, legions there love the guy, whereas nobody beyond the 100 of us here have ever heard of him. This is extremely strange, from a market development POV. Seeing this, this is why I get torqued when I see 5 different CMNT players move, and we are not in on any of it… (There is also significant risk he won’t settle, like most other Latin Americans that have come here… )

Feels to me like Manning did this because he knew Salcedo.

It might work out, but it lacks coherence.

Also, it is kind of hard not to come to the conclusion that Poz is leaving. If not now, in the summer….
    Part of me feels like this move is being purely driven by a perceived need to ship Soteldo out. Surely if you’re committed to big name Italian DP splash bonanza strategy you’d rather have Romagnoli than Salcedo.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post

Two things might be at play here

a) for once we are hearing about both plan A & plan B at the same time - plan B is Salcedo - Plan A was the Italian DP striker discussion (Belloti) with Soteldo going somewhere else

b) The players we are hearing about beyond Belloti were never going to be DP's

I have problems believing they are moving Poz but stranger things have happened.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who comes in? Belotti is a fine player but is probably the only player I'd replace Pozuelo with. I don't think any other player would require a DP contract that would improve the team beyond what we'd already have. Destro? Maybe, but Manning knows what his financial restraints are. Criscito? I don't think he's a DP.

And for that matter, who would we put in Pozuelo's place? Osorio? Probably.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone is forgetting the main thing regarding this news; this is MLS.

There's a new TV deal and I just read an article questioning why so many DPs aren't coming until July. Put 2 + 2 together added to Houston & Dallas suddenly spending large and you can kind of see what's probably happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Agreed you would have to think Bill Manning and Co. know something. MLS is on the rise so will a DP slot just watch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone has seen rumours about 4th DP slots etc, could they link it?

The CBA runs through 2025 and adding a DP spot is not straightforward.

The MLSPA, whose membership is 98% non-DP, is not just going to allow that. There would have to very significant things included that “float all boats” as part of that.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The CBA runs through 2025 and adding a DP spot is not straightforward.

The MLSPA, whose membership is 98% non-DP, is not just going to allow that. There would have to very significant things included that “float all boats” as part of that.
    This is true, however they could keep 3 DP spots but change the thresholds.

For example; MLS threshold from $612K to say $800K, TAM level from $801K to say $2.5M, DPs above that. And at the same time raise the basement from $63K to $85K or something like that. They have a clause to negotiate changes that benefit the players so this is all easy to accomplish.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    This is true, however they could keep 3 DP spots but change the thresholds.

For example; MLS threshold from $612K to say $800K, TAM level from $801K to say $2.5M, DPs above that. And at the same time raise the basement from $63K to $85K or something like that. They have a clause to negotiate changes that benefit the players so this is all easy to accomplish.
    I don’t see that happening, or least, not only that.

Based on history, the players will want increases in other things that are available to the other 98% that are not DPs.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-28-2022 at 10:46 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on history, the players will want increases in other things that are available to the other 98% that are not DPs.
    This is exactly what I mentioned by raising the league minimum and the "TAM" threshold. This is why Delgado is gone to a degree and Bono will be soon as well. The raises players get annually is fine but after some time they will hit the TAM threshold and then a team has to decide whether they're worth the allocation $$ to buy down. I don't think that was the sole reason for Delgado moving but eventually it will be the downfall of Bono. That is helping the 98% and isn't doing anything for the DPs, they're unchanged. Only difference would be to DPs that were around $1.6 to $2.49M as they would be re-classed as whatever "TAM" level guys are now. Doing this would in effect raise pay across the board and allow domestics to reach a higher pay bracket before requiring allocation buy downs.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 01-28-2022 at 11:05 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    This is exactly what I mentioned by raising the league minimum and the "TAM" threshold. This is why Delgado is gone to a degree and Bono will be soon as well. The raises players get annually is fine but after some time they will hit the TAM threshold and then a team has to decide whether they're worth the allocation $$ to buy down. I don't think that was the sole reason for Delgado moving but eventually it will be the downfall of Bono. That is helping the 98% and isn't doing anything for the DPs, they're unchanged. Only difference would be to DPs that were around $1.6 to $2.49M as they would be re-classed as whatever "TAM" level guys are now. Doing this would in effect raise pay across the board and allow domestics to reach a higher pay bracket before requiring allocation buy downs.
    OK I see what you are arguing. Could be. Probably need to raise the league minimum too.

But it's really a whole new CBA if they go that far, not a tinker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's no rumors of a 4th DP spot.

There is an escalator built in to the new CBA where if there are new/increased media revenues the league can increase player budgets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    There's no rumors of a 4th DP spot.
    Does there have to be? There is consiglieri Lino 'The Fixer' Di Cuollo. I am sure he knows where and how a few MLS bodies are buried.

That DD business may have been all him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If MLS adds a 4th DP spot they will make it have some ridiculous caveats. The 4th DP must be between 26-28 and any transfer fees must be matched and sent to Dan Hunt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salcedo as a DP is disappointing on the surface, but perhaps his salary range will allow us to buy 3 U22 players? Silver lining?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salcedo as a DP adter signing Insigne is a real feeling of whip lash. As others have said, the strategy here is completely incoherent. There has to be more to this than meets the eye, either with some kind of future buying down shenanigans or, as people have speculated, the new TV team changing the salary cap structure to enable something. Because as this stands it's a really, really weird DP to pair with your insanely highly paid hype generating statement DP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Salcedo as a DP adter signing Insigne is a real feeling of whip lash. As others have said, the strategy here is completely incoherent. There has to be more to this than meets the eye, either with some kind of future buying down shenanigans or, as people have speculated, the new TV team changing the salary cap structure to enable something. Because as this stands it's a really, really weird DP to pair with your insanely highly paid hype generating statement DP
    I think it's got to be to unlock the 3 under 22 slots. But seems a big waste of a DP slot, and pretty much precludes Belotti I would think. Would be much better used for a pure striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I’m going to wildly speculate, there’s no way he can be bought down right now. But maybe if we get a cheque for JMR in the summer or other things fall into place that allow that to change.

Otherwise it’s a bit of a baffling move. You can get serviceable CB’s on non-DP money, but it’s tough to fill out some of these attacking positions without use of the spot