Page 14 of 191 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    For the record, given the already inflamed tensions and poor disposition of this locker room, I don’t see a scenario where hiring Michael Bradley’s dad does not unnecessarily alienate certain members of the squad.
    Who? Who could possibly be alienated by hiring a successful coach with a proven track record? Because whoever it is would clearly be so emotionally immature that we’d be well to be rid of them.

I’ll be entirely happy if some of our petulant dead weight gets jettisoned as a result.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the record, given the already inflamed tensions and poor disposition of this locker room, I don’t see a scenario where hiring Michael Bradley’s dad does not unnecessarily alienate certain members of the squad.
    Firstly I hope a lot of members of our current squad are gone so that should alleviate some tensions. Secondly, after the way they played and behaved they deserve to be alienated and frankly brought back down to Earth. I feel the reason Perez failed was because he wasn't respected at all, Armas wasn't either but he was also shit. This has been coming for a while from Vanney allowing players like Jozy to loaf during training apart from the team to this season allowing the same with Solteldo to some degree. This team, whoever remains after the purge, need to deal with a hard personality who demands respect and asks a lot. While not my first choice, BB does fit that bill.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    Ali Curtis + Toronto FC are parting ways, per sources. Curtis was TFC GM for 3 years. Made MLS Cup in 2019, 2nd-best record in 2020, wheels fell off in 2021.Curtis in talks to join MLS' new lower-division league.
    Sam Stejskal

@samstejskal

Interesting that Ali is in talks with MLS for another job already. It's like he's been told he's getting fired and start to look for a new job weeks ago.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Interesting that Ali is in talks with MLS for another job already. It's like he's been told he's getting fired and start to look for a new job weeks ago.
    He probably knew he was done after that press conference where they announced Armas was fired. He still has MLS HQ connections so it was probably an easy get to be an executive in the lower league. If anything I can say about Curtis it's that he is definitely a lower league kind of executive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The guy who reported the Jozy buyout is a respected Sky reporter who gets lots of transfer tips from ranking guys. I wonder if Curtis decided to stick the knife in by announcing the buyout, knowing he was about to me turfed. Given that he and Armas were tight, and he had to fire Armas despite earlier letting him suspend Altidore, I wonder whether that’s really a done deal or whether he was trying to force someone’s hand knowing he wouldn’t be there to stick the knife in himself.

I mean, it’s not stupid business; Jozy has 36 games in three seasons, or 12 a year. He’s obviously continually injured or so disruptive that he’s announced as such regularly. I can kind of see it being a bit of both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Who? Who could possibly be alienated by hiring a successful coach with a proven track record? Because whoever it is would clearly be so emotionally immature that we’d be well to be rid of them.

I’ll be entirely happy if some of our petulant dead weight gets jettisoned as a result.
    Without knowing the actual issues within that locker room it’s hard to make an accurate assessment about how justified players might be in feeling uneasy about this hire. Regardless, it would be fair to say that it will alienate some.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is why he wouldn’t criticize Pro… if you think they didn’t like us before, wait until he is running them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume Bradley and Manning will split up the GM role and maybe have an assistant GM who excels in the cap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m not sure if Bradley contributes to the locker room issues or not (sounds like we have plenty of them)

BUT

At face value it seems like we’ve reached a juncture where Bradley should play a lesser role and having his dad as coach under that scenario is… awkward

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without knowing the actual issues within that locker room it’s hard to make an accurate assessment about how justified players might be in feeling uneasy about this hire. Regardless, it would be fair to say that it will alienate some.
    Agree with this. I say it in jest sometimes, but Michael Bradley does seem like the most powerful man in the organization.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This would likely involve MLSE in 3-way negotiations. As Curtis was under contract so far, MLSE would likely approve or even initiate the conversation to find him another job within the league. That could also reduce the amount of severance MLSE has to pay.

On a separate note, it really concerns me when people or organizations display nostalgia towards a player and automatically think he'll become a great coach. Michael Bradley was a great player, but let him get his badges if that's the direction he wants to go, gain some experience in youth coaching or in lower leagues, see if he's any good at that. Don't start him coaching under his dad. I know that some on here are just seeing that a possibility (or as inevitable) without actually liking the idea. But that's the thing that worries me.

I hope somebody in TFC has a good understanding of where the disagreements between the players were, which players might have been locker room cancers, and how to move forward.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    It is why he wouldn’t criticize Pro… if you think they didn’t like us before, wait until he is running them.
    Why Pro? Do you mean Ali Curtis? The Athletic reports that Curtis is in talks with MLS to take an executive position in its lower-division league that will begin play next year. Maybe he can cause problems for TFC in the lower league, but it doesn't sound like he'll have anything to do with officiating.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing about M. Bradley is that he works hard and is professional. Yes, he is getting older and has lost a bunch of steps but he is no floater. I am sure some players resent his hard personality in the locker room and his demands but in the end, he is a professional and he is trying to win. Having his Dad, who has had success at this level and is probably more demanding than Michael, step in should only alienate the type of players that we don't want around anyway.

Now if we had the father of a floater in then I could see that upsetting a lot of players.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 11-22-2021 at 03:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want to hear "Bradley's at the wheel" unless it's Bob........

Love Michael, but he should go far away, very far, and earn you're stripes. Once you got experience I will welcome him back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And its officially official.

Now get on with announcing the options and Bob

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bet Bob announced by weeks end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    One thing about M. Bradley is that he works hard and is professional. Yes, he is getting older and has lost a bunch of steps but he is no floater. I am sure some players resent his hard personality in the locker room and his demands but in the end, he is a professional and he is trying to win. Having his Dad, who has had success at this level and is probably more demanding than Michael, step in should only alienate the type of players that we don't want around anyway.

Now if we had the father of a floater in then I could see that upsetting a lot of players.
    But the issue is that hard-ass message was previously underpinned by an extremely high level of performance, like practically beyond reproach. Guys listen cause it’s coming from someone leading by example.

Now, the player who is being targeted on corners and occasionally blown by in midfield is barking instructions. That doesn’t go well.

His role has to change here. If he cannot evolve he’s got to go, hate to say it, but it’s true. We can’t do any more Bradley-always-starts, always plays 90 minutes stuff. That can’t stick.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the conclusion of the 2021 season, Toronto FC announced today that the club and General Manager and Senior Vice President of Soccer Operations Ali Curtis have mutually parted ways as Curtis pursues a new opportunity.

“I began discussing my future with the club in September," Curtis said in a statement. "During the pandemic, my family moved back to the United States. After three years with Toronto FC, I am looking forward to reuniting with my wife and kids, and I am excited to take on a new professional challenge. Toronto is a beautiful city, and I am immensely grateful for the opportunity to work at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, as I believe it to be among the best sports organizations in the world. There are many great people to thank at TFC and in the community. Those relationships transcend the workplace. Next year, there is a lot to be excited about with TFC. It has exceptional people and it is moving in an exciting direction. I wish the team, the staff, MLSE and TFC fans the very best.”

Curtis was appointed General Manager of TFC in January 2019 in a season that saw the club win the Eastern Conference Championship and advance to MLS Cup. Last year, in a season disrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic, and the club forced to play the majority of the season in the United States, Toronto FC finished with the second best record during the MLS regular season, before dropping its playoff match to Nashville SC. Despite the loss on Sunday, Toronto FC advanced to the Canadian Championship final in every season of Curtis’ tenure.

“The entire organization thanks Ali for his many contributions to the club and our community in his three seasons with Toronto FC,” said Toronto FC President Bill Manning. “Ali is a good man and we wish him all the best in the future as he pursues a new opportunity.”
    https://www.torontofc.ca/news/toront...-departs-club-

He knew in September he was done.

They say nice things, he says how "excited" he is to be moving from a major league to a minor league and we move on.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 11-22-2021 at 04:12 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

24 hours after the last game and we already have news of Curtis and Altidore leaving. This is break neck speed. It is obvious Ali is gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    https://www.torontofc.ca/news/toront...-departs-club-

He knew in September he was done.

They say nice things, he says how "excited" he is to be moving from the major league to the minor league and we move on.
    I think he knew when Manning fired Armas. He was dead man walking from that point on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    His role has to change here. If he cannot evolve he’s got to go, hate to say it, but it’s true. We can’t do any more Bradley-always-starts, always plays 90 minutes stuff. That can’t stick.
    Well that should have been done this season but it is what it is. His time of being the 90 minute, 34+ matches guy is gone.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    But the issue is that hard-ass message was previously underpinned by an extremely high level of performance, like practically beyond reproach. Guys listen cause it’s coming from someone leading by example.

Now, the player who is being targeted on corners and occasionally blown by in midfield is barking instructions. That doesn’t go well.

Yes, thank you, that's exactly what I've been thinking.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I think he knew when Manning fired Armas. He was dead man walking from that point on.
    Waiting until September could be his usual delaying... you know, "two weeks."
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So happy to see Ali Curtis gone

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so we're all pretty sure that it's bob bradley at this point, yeah?

him and manning split GM work and he's the coach too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best TFC news in 2 years, Curtis should go back to finance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe it! Amazing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The peak of Curtis' time here

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hallelujah!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is what I don’t think people are internalizing. Bob Bradley has options. Like, lots of options.

He is not coming here to just do what he has already done. He has won MLS Cup, won the Supporters Shield, managed two national teams, managed an EPL team. Our manager job, alone? That would really really surprise me. There has to be something “more”.

The obvious is the dual Manager/GM role. I could see that. That is where the odds lie. But think that through… do you think he would be here to manage MB out? That is what the job is, or would be, with anyone else….

So what, then? I think would really float his boat is the opportunity to do this project with Michael (those will be his words, “project” is how he talks about his jobs).

All those of you who think the idea of MB as an MLS manager as ridiculous are being overwrought. Don’t tell me he couldn’t get hired somewhere, even without experience , because I think he probably could. MB is a longtime USMNT captain and there is a ton of respect for him in MLS. More round the league than in Toronto, which is interesting and weird. It is a fact that guys like this get chances in world football without paying their dues.

Have a look at the list of new MLS managers the last couple of years. Hardly any cause you to salivate. Mostly non entities plus Heinze and Neville (let me beat you to the punch -those two sucked, and I don’t think “name” newbies work either). But my point is, hardly any new MLS managers ever look “great” or inspire anything. The Ronny Deila's of the world don't ever excite anyone, nobody knows how they will do. Vanney sure didn’t inspire a thing at the start here.

I don’t think it's the right answer either but what do you think TFC's options are right now? I can see how Bob Bradley, if he had sufficient leverage, which he might have (we suck right now, who else of any stature is coming here, really?) could get this done.

It's not as crazy as most of you seem to think, and if BB comes, there will be something significant in it for MB. Maybe some kind of player/co-manager hybrid thing with Bob? Otherwise BB would go elsewhere.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-22-2021 at 07:33 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”