Page 120 of 191 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120121122123124130170 ... LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,600 of 5705
  1. #3571
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Let's get this all figured out.
    It's much funner to speculate and jump to conclusions though

  2. #3572
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    beautiful downtown bolton
    Posts
    3,944
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    jozy has hamstrung this club for 2 and a half seasons,can we move on.

  3. #3573
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    18,860
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Maybe ...just maybe...MLS should be hiring more outstanding DP level CB's & DM's instead of focusing on attackers so much.

    MLS should be focusing on difference makers rather then on "HE SCORES! Worth every penny of his contract."

    Which is also a reminder - we had a DM DP (now TAM) player hanging around since 2014

  4. #3574
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I have no trouble believing that Salcedo has to be a DP. We paid Omar $1.2M and he was a reserve at Atlas, Salcedo is a starter at Tigres and started in Mexico's 1-0 win over Germany in 2018. He is a whole level up from 2019 Omar.

    They were talking about a $3M transfer fee for him.

    I don’t think Yefe can play with Poz, so we have little choice.

    Salcedo as a DP in MLS actually makes sense to me. Salcedo in Toronto makes less long-term sense, and I wonder if he might wind up elsewhere soon enough.
    i agree, insigne is still using toronto to get a better offer in europe, and we are singing a mexican international CB at age 28 to sell him to dortmund when he's 32.

  5. #3575
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    wait til the details come out for the deal, will be lots of moving parts.

    fact is, we conceded 66 goals last season, and salcedo and o'neill for omar and zavaleta is incredible business, even as a DP (which i don't believe he will be for the entire contract).

    salcedo is a ball playing CB who can help us launch attacks, as well as a powerful defender. he also scores a decent amount.

  6. #3576
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    12,679
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Maybe ...just maybe...MLS should be hiring more outstanding DP level CB's & DM's instead of focusing on attackers so much.

    MLS should be focusing on difference makers rather then on "HE SCORES! Worth every penny of his contract."

    Which is also a reminder - we had a DM DP (now TAM) player hanging around since 2014
    Hey, we practically invented the DP DM with Deguzman, Frings and Laba.

  7. #3577
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    salcedo is a ball playing CB who can help us launch attacks, as well as a powerful defender. he also scores a decent amount.
    Just watching the highlight video that was posted, Salcedo can take on a lot of the ball playing role that MB had been assuming. That can really open things up for the team.

    My first hope is that Salcedo ends up being TAM once Insigne joins. If that isn't the case, I hope he's at the DP level that lets us open up all U22 spots and we use them to the fullest.

    The team is better than we were at the end of the season, but still lots to do.

  8. #3578
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    15,864
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    wait til the details come out for the deal, will be lots of moving parts.
    So, how about you explain to all us poor lost idiots why/how you know these things?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  9. #3579
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    113 survivor
    Posts
    2,145
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'd be fine with Salcedo as a DP. Aside from the fact that this move seemingly solves the Soteldo dilemma, nothing in football is more frustrating for me to watch than conceding bad goals. Granted, this issue won't go away until Bono does, but this would be a significant step. If it's TAM, even better, if it's DP, hey, kudos to TFC for solving two problems.
    Last edited by Bobo; 01-15-2022 at 01:02 AM.

  10. #3580
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    15,864
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    i agree, insigne is still using toronto to get a better offer in europe, and we are singing a mexican international CB at age 28 to sell him to dortmund when he's 32.
    I made it pretty clear I was talking about other MLS teams . You want to argue the fact about how many tickets a Mexican international might sell in the US vs Canada, knock yourself out
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  11. #3581
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    13,262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    With Mavinga (if he recovers form) and Salcedo, you have two CB’s that can step into space. That will help the midfielders a lot.

  12. #3582
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    So, how about you explain to all us poor lost idiots why/how you know these things?
    because we have one fit striker for the start of the season and he's had about 130 MLS mins in total?

    doesn't take a genius to realize there's lots more to come.

    not looking for an argument, just think we'll be able to analyze how good/ bad this acquisition is when we learn the details of the contract and who else we bring in.
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 01-14-2022 at 11:11 PM.

  13. #3583
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    5,616
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I don't. I think he's a complicated individual and sometimes guys like that morph into square pegs in round holes.

    I have never doubted Michael Bradley's commitment to being here; the man gave up $10M in guaranteed compensation to make TFC more competitive. I don't know how much more committed he could be. Buy part of the team?

    My gut, which is probably wrong, says I would like Jozy to finish his last unoptioned year with us and then be released as a guy who helped us win a title and almost another. He clearly can't stay fit enough to be a starter.

    If, however, he is a cancer in the locker room or a constant distraction because of being outspoken, they have to release him.

    Here's the rub: WE HAVE NO IDEA if that's true. We suspect it, because of the general pessimism that pervaded the roster over the last three seasons. But it's equally possible that we have multiple guys who've lost sight of what it means to think for the team and not themselves.

    I've seen Mark Delgado bitch more on the field than anyone, and his play has degraded drastically over the last two years. But nobody's calling him a cancer because he's fit and plays most games.

    We have zero specific knowledge of ANY bustups other than Altidore insulting Chris Armas over his decision to use one striker. That's it, basically.

    Bradley referring to Altidore as being not fit could have quite specifically been referring to repeated injuries, not general conditioning. Again, if the personal narrative someone has decided on is that he's a troublemaking jerk with glass feet, then they're going to assume it's the latter. If they seem him as a club hero from our best years, they might well assume the former.

    But we don't know.

    The one point in this thread I'll contend is that he was EVER a mediocre striker by MLS standards. Jesus H, the guy scored 39 goals in two seasons in the Eredivisie while fans screamed "monkey" at him and threw bananas on the pitch. And he refused to even engage them; he showed utter class. He has 62 goals for us in 139 appearances.

    And he DOES have a history of coming back from injury. He was out for most of 2018 and only scored seven in 13, but then had 11 in 22 appearances the following year.

    So he's basically a consistent 1-in-2 striker, which is top tier in any league.

    If he stayed and there was no sign of locker room issues, even as a backup, I'd be perfectly happy with that. Treat our biggest players right at the end of their careers and more of them will want to stay, rather than go to Saudi or China. It may not be the best for business, but it is good for a club, and its reputation as a club, to honor its heroes. Football is about the culture more than it is about winning, always has been, and so it should stay.
    I love you Jeremy Loome

  14. #3584
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    5,616
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    If Salcedo is as good as we hope, this might not be a terrible move. But I would go out and get at least one striker on TAM money to complete with Akinola for the starters role and otherwise have a way to convert this from DP money to TAM at some point.


    My Bill Manning scouting report says this guy checks out.
    Corrected

  15. #3585
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    12,679
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I love you Jeremy Loome
    My wife thinks you're a mad fool.

  16. #3586
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northwest Territories (Section 226)
    Posts
    8,076
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Before a few others came back on here and continue the banter, do we maybe want to start a separate "Jozy" thread? Might be about as popular as the famous "Dero to Celtic" thread. I think some pretty one-sided things have been said about the whole Jozy & TFC situation but it's not worth getting into, at least on this thread which is about all the roster changes (all players and coaches). There seem to be some pretty set opinions about Jozy, and it's derailing this thread.

  17. #3587
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,989
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Before a few others came back on here and continue the banter, do we maybe want to start a separate "Jozy" thread? Might be about as popular as the famous "Dero to Celtic" thread. I think some pretty one-sided things have been said about the whole Jozy & TFC situation but it's not worth getting into, at least on this thread which is about all the roster changes (all players and coaches). There seem to be some pretty set opinions about Jozy, and it's derailing this thread.
    I think that would be a good idea. I missed like a day of logging in here, came and there was like five pages (with several long posts) of just Jozy banter

  18. #3588
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,989
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In non-Jozy banter, I saw this on reddit (I don't have an Athletic subscription, so I can't read it) but apparently MLS Next Pro will have no salary cap, the teams will actually own the player contracts (unlike MLS) and intra-club transfers will be cash-based (so basically a Euro style league just without pro-reg). Also, CanPL fans are worried that this will mean Toronto and Vancouver can just buy all the top Canadian prospects by just paying them more money than CPL teams could with their under 1million salary cap.

    https://theathletic.com/3071305/2022/01/14/mls-next-pro-to-have-no-salary-cap-other-key-differences-from-mls-structure-sources-say/

  19. #3589
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    722
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    In non-Jozy banter, I saw this on reddit (I don't have an Athletic subscription, so I can't read it) but apparently MLS Next Pro will have no salary cap, the teams will actually own the player contracts (unlike MLS) and intra-club transfers will be cash-based (so basically a Euro style league just without pro-reg). Also, CanPL fans are worried that this will mean Toronto and Vancouver can just buy all the top Canadian prospects by just paying them more money than CPL teams could with their under 1million salary cap.

    https://theathletic.com/3071305/2022...e-sources-say/
    I don’t think anyone needs to worry about Vancouver buying all of anything 🤣🤣🤣

  20. #3590
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    3,430
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    In non-Jozy banter, I saw this on reddit (I don't have an Athletic subscription, so I can't read it) but apparently MLS Next Pro will have no salary cap, the teams will actually own the player contracts (unlike MLS) and intra-club transfers will be cash-based (so basically a Euro style league just without pro-reg). Also, CanPL fans are worried that this will mean Toronto and Vancouver can just buy all the top Canadian prospects by just paying them more money than CPL teams could with their under 1million salary cap.

    https://theathletic.com/3071305/2022...e-sources-say/
    I dislike a good chunk of the die hard CPL fans I have seen on Twitter. Let's just go offer all their best players 70k a year to play for our farm team.

  21. #3591
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    15,864
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Before a few others came back on here and continue the banter, do we maybe want to start a separate "Jozy" thread? Might be about as popular as the famous "Dero to Celtic" thread. I think some pretty one-sided things have been said about the whole Jozy & TFC situation but it's not worth getting into, at least on this thread which is about all the roster changes (all players and coaches). There seem to be some pretty set opinions about Jozy, and it's derailing this thread.
    I have a couple of suggestions here, depending on your "Jozy persuasion":

    http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...=1#post1857235

    http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...light=altidore
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  22. #3592
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    13,262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    In non-Jozy banter, I saw this on reddit (I don't have an Athletic subscription, so I can't read it) but apparently MLS Next Pro will have no salary cap, the teams will actually own the player contracts (unlike MLS) and intra-club transfers will be cash-based (so basically a Euro style league just without pro-reg). Also, CanPL fans are worried that this will mean Toronto and Vancouver can just buy all the top Canadian prospects by just paying them more money than CPL teams could with their under 1million salary cap.

    https://theathletic.com/3071305/2022...e-sources-say/
    One, I wouldn’t worry about anything that is being run by Ali Curtis.

    Two, I think the incentive for MLS to keep a player as opposed to sell-on leaves the opportunity for CPL / USL to still exist. Thanks to the MLSPU, young players in this league have terrible contract rights and I think for a top prospect they’d rather develop outside the reach of this league and get to Europe.

    BUT

    CANPL has to make some breakthroughs in terms of selling players, get more youth development focused, and move away from journey men players in their late 20’s. Basically, stop being the AHL, and start being major junior.

  23. #3593
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    5,616
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    My wife thinks you're a mad fool.

    In hindsight "great post jloome" might have been sufficient...

  24. #3594
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    5,616
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I have a couple of suggestions here, depending on your "Jozy persuasion":

    http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...=1#post1857235

    http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...light=altidore
    The first one is a fantastic compilation of goals. Fantastic. What a player. Sadly, they also show how far off the pace we are at the moment.

  25. #3595
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    5,744
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    One, I wouldn’t worry about anything that is being run by Ali Curtis.
    Because of this fact I am shocked there's news about it already.

  26. #3596
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    12,679
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Because of this fact I am shocked there's news about it already.
    Well, unless it ended "... swerved into the ditch, its hulking frame engulfed in flames." That would make sense.

  27. #3597
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,328
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Because of this fact I am shocked there's news about it already.

    No, no... absolutely part of the 200 page plan. Tell everyone what the dream is, and then reference it every time you say 2 weeks. Then screw it up completely. He needs to sell the dream, we are only in Phase 1.

  28. #3598
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    13,262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    No, no... absolutely part of the 200 page plan. Tell everyone what the dream is, and then reference it every time you say 2 weeks. Then screw it up completely. He needs to sell the dream, we are only in Phase 1.
    Then, when people suspect you are full of shit, dogmatically repeat “at Red Bull we did it this way” as if that means something

  29. #3599
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    When you think about it the club has been planning for this season since September and has only made two legit signings. Ali Curtis not looking like the only slow mover at the moment. I hope they’ve not overestimated the squad yet again.

  30. #3600
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    When you think about it the club has been planning for this season since September and has only made two legit signings. Ali Curtis not looking like the only slow mover at the moment. I hope they’ve not overestimated the squad yet again.
    When did Bob the Builder arrive?? wasnt in September pretty sure of that, Bob gets final say, not Manning

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •