Page 119 of 191 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129169 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,570 of 5705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowm1 View Post
    What is interesting from the article is the Jozy Altidore is holding out for a buyout of the entire amount due to him.
    His agent likely knows MLS regs well and has told him that if they want to buy out a deal they have to pay for the option year as well.

If so, he'd be insane to take anything less than full payment. There's no guarantee he'll get another chance to play elsewhere, so why give up his last big payday? It's not like it's anything but a rounding error to MLSE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if they are front loading Salcedo's deal to make him a DP in the first year and buy downable in the following years. Very worried about the striker position now though. Can we get Destro as a TAM player? Is there maybe a u-22 target?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bet you Ayo's new deal is under the U22 scheme...

Salcedo better be buydown able

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I wonder if they are front loading Salcedo's deal to make him a DP in the first year and buy downable in the following years. Very worried about the striker position now though. Can we get Destro as a TAM player? Is there maybe a u-22 target?
    A good manager can find as a good non DP striker in an equivalent league, like Sweden, or League One in England, or the Greek league. These leagues all pay similar money to MLS already, not always a ton more.

He's done it before. I get the sentiment about Salcedo and generally agree but it doesn't fill me with dread, as BB has proven in the past he can find real value.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I bet you Ayo's new deal is under the U22 scheme...

Salcedo better be buydown able
    I can't see any reason to give Ayo that u-22 slot when he is coming off a torn ACL. The whole value of that u-22 slot is being able to spend whatever you want on a transfer fee without it touching your cap. Giving Ayo 600k and using a small amount of TAM to buy him down makes a lot of sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    A good manager can find as a good non DP striker in an equivalent league, like Sweden, or League One in England, or the Greek league. These leagues all pay similar money to MLS already, not always a ton more.

He's done it before. I get the sentiment about Salcedo and generally agree but it doesn't fill me with dread, as BB has proven in the past he can find real value.
    True on them being able to find a good striker on a budget, but the risk becomes much greater to grab someone from a smaller league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't see any reason to give Ayo that u-22 slot when he is coming off a torn ACL. The whole value of that u-22 slot is being able to spend whatever you want on a transfer fee without it touching your cap. Giving Ayo 600k and using a small amount of TAM to buy him down makes a lot of sense.
    The reason is a potential future transfer fee.

He's injured yes but he could simply do rehab and sit out till the summer and sign with someone in Europe for free. He's got leverage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, Salcedo put a video on Instagram earlier or him listening to a song in his car which title translates to "Franchise Player" which is what Mexicans seem to call our designated players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    The reason is a potential future transfer fee.

He's injured yes but he could simply do rehab and sit out till the summer and sign with someone in Europe for free. He's got leverage
    The potential transfer fee is why Dallas, Houston or Vancouver see it as value. For a team like Atlanta or TFC, they likely see it as a way to get another DP level player in that they maybe can sell later.

If you are right and Ayo is that guy, that is awful roster construction. We'll be at the bottom of the league by the time he gets healthy and Insigne comes in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he's U22 he's what, 150k against the cap? That'll come in handy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have a hard time believing reports that Salcedo is a DP. I think it’s more assumption than facts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no trouble believing that Salcedo has to be a DP. We paid Omar $1.2M and he was a reserve at Atlas, Salcedo is a starter at Tigres and started in Mexico's 1-0 win over Germany in 2018. He is a whole level up from 2019 Omar.

They were talking about a $3M transfer fee for him.

I don’t think Yefe can play with Poz, so we have little choice.

Salcedo as a DP in MLS actually makes sense to me. Salcedo in Toronto makes less long-term sense, and I wonder if he might wind up elsewhere soon enough.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-14-2022 at 06:55 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Salcedo as a DP in MLS actually makes sense to me. Salcedo in Toronto makes less long-term sense, and I wonder if he might wind up elsewhere soon enough.
    I suspect you're right and they're thinking ahead. If he's already considered good enough for Wolves and two Turkish clubs to come in, then they might have been told by the player that he still wants to play in Europe and be looking two years down the line, to when they have to try and get the biggest fee for him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^He would make a lot of sense in at least 10 different US cities that have big Mexican populations.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be more upset over Ayo as an u-22 player than Salcedo as a DP. He would likely be the best CB in the league immediately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^He would make a lot of sense in at least 10 different US cities that have big Mexican populations.
    According to this MSN piece he has a $10M release clause. So we're probably offering both Soteldo and money for him.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/foot...ent/ar-AASMaIh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    According to this MSN piece he has a $10M release clause. So we're probably offering both Soteldo and money for him.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/foot...ent/ar-AASMaIh
    The Athletic article says it is a straight swap. Salcedo made it known to Tigres he would not re-up when his contract expires.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Athletic article says it is a straight swap. Salcedo made it known to Tigres he would not re-up when his contract expires.
    Then we might have gotten lucky; the $10M clause is probably why the other clubs expressing interest hadn't bid. We have something to offer that means they get value now (and they deal with Brazil a lot, so Soteldo might not even stay there) and we get our player now, rather than them losing him on a free.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From a straight soccer POV Salcedo might make more sense than a Belotti anyway. The need at the back is more desperate. I can see how other solutions might work at the 9, and indeed Ayo or Perruzza or whoever might get the job done there. But it’s impossible to “Macgyver” a solution at CB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From a straight soccer POV Salcedo might make more sense than a Belotti anyway. The need at the back is more desperate. I can see how other solutions might work at the 9, and indeed Ayo or Perruzza or whoever might get the job done there. But it’s impossible to “Macgyver” a solution at CB.
    Yeah, I'm totally fine with this. We need a DP level CB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a 612 cap hit for a top cb is ok with me.i think you can get a pretty good max tam #9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on how garbage our defence was, this is bang on. Give us a DP CB if it means we go back to near the top of the league in GA vs. one of the worst.

Plus if we keep Poz and have Insigne, then Andrea Lombardo would get 20 goals with those two just ricocheting it off of him in the 18 yard box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillos View Post
    Based on how garbage our defence was, this is bang on. Give us a DP CB if it means we go back to near the top of the league in GA vs. one of the worst.

Plus if we keep Poz and have Insigne, then Andrea Lombardo would get 20 goals with those two just ricocheting it off of him in the 18 yard box.
    We really gotta hope 2020 Poz shows up. If 2021 Pozuelo is here, Insigne will have 2 or 3 defenders permanently attached to him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Salcedo is as good as we hope, this might not be a terrible move. But I would go out and get at least one striker on TAM money to complete with Akinola for the starters role and otherwise have a way to convert this from DP money to TAM at some point.

My Paul Mariner scouting report says this guy checks out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salcedo is on 1.1M/year at Tigres. There’s every potential for this to be a TAM signing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extremely poor move for Salcedo to be a DP. He better be able to be bought down. I agree with Ensco and mentioned further back that we’re likely better off with a DP CB than striker, but there are MUCH better CBs out there than Salcedo atm. I give this move a C-.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    Salcedo is on 1.1M/year at Tigres. There’s every potential for this to be a TAM signing.
    The fact that he’s on 1.1 makes it look like Manning got bent over if he pays over TAM for Salcedo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s weird as hell watching this club pinch pennies with respect to Soteldo and Jozy, when it just dropped insane money for Insigne like it was nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    The fact that he’s on 1.1 makes it look like Manning got bent over if he pays over TAM for Salcedo
    I guarantee you that with that many bigger teams interested, he was looking for a substantial raise. He's a Mexico international and was one of the most solid centre backs in the league his first time around.

It doesn't seem a huge stretch to assume he's making closer to $1.5-2M this time around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's get this all figured out.