Page 106 of 191 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116156 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,180 of 5705
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    We shouldn't imagine that Manning was spending all his time taking in Raptors games and fine dining with MLSE executives while Curtis screwed everything up.

For some odd reason MLSE saw fit to make him the rescuer of the Argos, and that blazing tire fire of a situation has to have been pulling an inordinate amount of his attention. If someone he trusted (wrongly it turned out) was in charge of TFC, it's quite natural that he would leave it in his hands so he could put his full attention on how to save the Argos.

So the root problem is the disfunctional MLSE structure. Who splits someone's job between two sports? It's crazy.
    There is truth to this. But it's only part of what happened. I think he is genuinely smart, has integrity etc. But Manning has been brutally way out over his skis when it comes to a number of things he is responsible for (not all). It has been true for years. He just doesn’t have sufficient mastery of the things he is supposed to be a world class expert in.

When things settle will elaborate in the Manning thread.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-10-2022 at 11:15 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This story from this afternoon suggests Sao Paolo is cooling on the deal as his second-year salary requirements are too high. In other words, another escalating or divided contract.

https://www.radaresportes.ig.com.br/...cidas-10012022

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There has been to much back and forth. At some point Sao Paolo will cut their losses and move on, I fear were nearing the point where if this doesn't get resolved very soon its going to collapse and were stuck with Soteldo.

This is looking like one big clusterf***.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So take a stand and make Soteldo play RW all year, suck it up… first half Shaf plays LW, second half convert to a wingback. Not ideal but dont let any player hold you hostage. Get a TAM striker and a TAM CB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    So take a stand and make Soteldo play RW all year, suck it up… first half Shaf plays LW, second half convert to a wingback. Not ideal but dont let any player hold you hostage. Get a TAM striker and a TAM CB.
    Oldschool, hardcore, imposing, enough already; adapt with what you got or die. Me likes. Not against this short-term strategy, I think BBradley has the cajones to implement. Except there has been speculation that Soteldo was one of the cancers in the dressing room and maybe didn't get along with Pozuelo; amongst others. I never got any inclination of that on the pitch from the stands.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-11-2022 at 04:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So with all the 'shedding' at striker; most recently Dwyer. With Altidore likely gone, with Akinola's likely return- pending...
    Achara and Perruzza are all that is left IIUC?
    With Belotti the primary target?
    Just spitballin', could this mean some sort of stop gap incoming; until July?
    Maybe either from MLS, somewhere else or even Destro coming somehow as a non DP before the SerieA season is over; with an agreement- even loan by their Winter Transfer Window of 31JAN22? I know Genoa is in relegation so this seems very unlikely but...
    Could it be possible we get Destro and Belotti in the end or are they mutually exclusive?
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-11-2022 at 04:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Soteldo stuff is frustrating because he is clearly talented and I do not buy any spin that he ‘underperformed’ for us. Obviously none of us know what exactly happened behind the scenes, but given he never received a Jozy level banishment, can it be that bad? On the pitch, it looked like he was one of the few players that cared that we were getting fucked every week.

I would be very happy to see Soteldo and Insigne on the wings next year and I think the club should seriously consider that option if they struggle to move him. 5 goals and 10 assists on a team that sucked is a good return, I’d like to see him play with a legit striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    No idea. But it doesn’t really matter. Curtis was young, a relative newbie, there is no excuse for not keeping an eye on him.

In fact, it doesn’t matter that he was young and inexperienced. Even for BB or Bruce Arena, there has to be oversight, a structure to review material decisions. Anyone in finance knows what I am talking about, there is always an Investment Committee or Credit Committee, no matter how good the investor is.

Anything that can cause an outcome like this is material, and needs multiple sets of eyes.
    Yea, the League office approve. MLSE don't pay for Dwyer's contract it's from the league paid salary budget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    So with all the 'shedding' at striker; most recently Dwyer. With Altidore likely gone, with Akinola's likely return- pending...
    Achara and Perruzza are all that is left IIUC?
    With Belotti the primary target?
    Just spitballin', could this mean some sort of stop gap incoming; until July?
    Maybe either from MLS, somewhere else or even Destro coming somehow as a non DP before the SerieA season is over; with an agreement- even loan by their Winter Transfer Window of 31JAN22? I know Genoa is in relegation so this seems very unlikely but...
    Could it be possible we get Destro and Belotti in the end or are they mutually exclusive?
    There was that Spanish forward playing in Poland that we were linked with. That feels more likely than both Destro and Belotti.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning and BB are just gonna end up sending Soteldo on loan for the year to someone willing to pay his full wages. They'll bring him back and attempt to sell him again next year or he'll slide into Poz's (if he isn't extended) DP spot and they can see if he has grown up any.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get his agent to start calling clubs in the middle east

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    The Soteldo stuff is frustrating because he is clearly talented and I do not buy any spin that he ‘underperformed’ for us. Obviously none of us know what exactly happened behind the scenes, but given he never received a Jozy level banishment, can it be that bad? On the pitch, it looked like he was one of the few players that cared that we were getting fucked every week.

I would be very happy to see Soteldo and Insigne on the wings next year and I think the club should seriously consider that option if they struggle to move him. 5 goals and 10 assists on a team that sucked is a good return, I’d like to see him play with a legit striker.
    I don't agree. He looked like a one trick pony last year. Great dribbling ability, no finishing, terrible passer. Add locker room cancer to the mix and I don't think he's worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I honestly think we haven't pulled the trigger on Jozy for exactly this reason.... We're going to wind up using our buyout on Jefe and use Jozy as a #1 striker for the first half of the season. With luck, Jozy will then agree to retire just before Insigne arrives (as with Danny D).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woolly View Post
    I honestly think we haven't pulled the trigger on Jozy for exactly this reason.... We're going to wind up using our buyout on Jefe and use Jozy as a #1 striker for the first half of the season. With luck, Jozy will then agree to retire just before Insigne arrives (as with Danny D).
    yefe has 4 years left on his deal, we will not be buying him out.

they'll probably just end up sending him on loan and hope someone can buy him next winter when teams finances are a bit better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    yefe has 4 years left on his deal, we will not be buying him out.

they'll probably just end up sending him on loan and hope someone can buy him next winter when teams finances are a bit better.
    They would be crazy not to unload him now and take a small loss (if necessary). If Solteldo goes out on loan and legitimately starts to suck, we are screwed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, but you can buy him out next year. This year Jozy, next year Jefe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah best case scenario is a transfer, hopefully not too bad a loss. There seems to at least be a market for him which there isn't for Jozy. Seems likely something gets done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R.O. View Post
    Yeah, but you can buy him out next year. This year Jozy, next year Jefe.
    But next year is potentially prohibitively expensive, if he sucks. Right now, basically we have to make up the difference between his gringo salary bonus and what he’d otherwise earn in SA… not much else, if we transfer him out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC sign homegrown player Luca Petrasso

https://www.torontofc.ca/news/toront...-luca-petrasso

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Manning and BB are just gonna end up sending Soteldo on loan for the year to someone willing to pay his full wages. They'll bring him back and attempt to sell him again next year or he'll slide into Poz's (if he isn't extended) DP spot and they can see if he has grown up any.
    This is pretty much exactly how it played with Gilberto. We never recovered the transfer fee for Gilberto btw. He just went on waivers to Chicago, after spending a year on loan in Brazil.

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    They would be crazy not to unload him now and take a small loss (if necessary). If Solteldo goes out on loan and legitimately starts to suck, we are screwed.
    I think we are looking at a big loss. I bet we would recover very little of that transfer fee. But it'll just get worse over time, like you say, and hey, so what, not my money....
    Last edited by ensco; 01-11-2022 at 10:46 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is pretty much exactly how it played with Gilberto. We never recovered the transfer fee for Gilberto btw. He just went on waivers to Chicago, after spending a year on loan in Brazil.

I think we are looking at a big loss. I bet we would recover very little of that transfer fee. But it'll just get worse over time, like you say, and hey, so what, not my money....
    I think this is what is going to happen. It payed off the first time, we won a cup and made it to a CCL final and Gilberto (and Laba for that matter) were long forgotten. Time will tell if it pays off again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they do it this year, they can lay the blame on Curtis... In all honesty, that might be the deciding factor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Petrasso homegrown deal today, Franklin's will likely be announced tomorrow.

They did this in 2020, one per day, they signed Rocco Romeo one day, the next day they announced Jayden Nelson, and the day after they announced Jahkeele MarshllRutty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, you’re not getting much of that transfer fee back. My hope was no additional cash out of TFC’s pocket in terms of go-forward salary costs.

Hard to tell at what stage this constitutes a buy-out for the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, you’re not getting much of that transfer fee back. My hope was no additional cash out of TFC’s pocket in terms of go-forward salary costs.

Hard to tell at what stage this constitutes a buy-out for the team.
    I think if we lose money on the Solteldo transfer fee or even paying more money out of MLSEs pocket which it free up a DP spot for another striker signing with the quality of Belotti its worth every penny.

I also think that interview Bill had a TSN and his comments about players on the Canada national team. To me after that interview its not just Borjan coming but even another one or two players from the national team. Eustaquio ? Adekugbe ?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

went to transfermarkt on both Italian and US servers - is there a reason why Belotti is 23% in the US but Italy has the rumour at 40%? Is there just better news out there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, did I miss anything in the last 24 hours? I'm excited to see who we get with that number 3 pick in the draft today!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    So, did I miss anything in the last 24 hours? I'm excited to see who we get with that number 3 pick in the draft today!!
    Eh....You being sarcastic or sincere here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Eh....You being sarcastic or sincere here?
    Lol. Definitely sarcastic.