Page 10 of 191 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    "Able to fire" is a weird choice of words. MLSE fired Babcock when he was the highest paid coach in the league and fired Dwayne Casey after he won coach of the year. If they want to do something they can do it.
    Honestly, that was just poor wording on my part. I should have simply said MLSE is not going to fire Curtis. Manning has a lot of faith in him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fully expecting Bob Bradley to be announced next week. Hopefully the guys can send Perez off with a trophy for the CV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Honestly, that was just poor wording on my part. I should have simply said MLSE is not going to fire Curtis. Manning has a lot of faith in him.
    I got a feeling Curtis is losing a lot of his sway with Bradley coming in. Bradley isn't gonna come in to be a yes man like Chris Armas, he'll want some say in the roster.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I got a feeling Curtis is losing a lot of his sway with Bradley coming in. Bradley isn't gonna come in to be a yes man like Chris Armas, he'll want some say in the roster.
    Exactly, I can't imagine Bob Bradley having any patience for Curtis and 2 weeks * ∞

Maybe Curtis really will be put on coffee duty.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob Bradley runs the show. Period. Curtis will do paperwork and track the cap.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if its faith in him or just they really do believe covid caused most of their problems & Armas alone was responsible for making it worse.

BTW, given what's going on in Europe right now, the idea all will be back to normal by March covid wise is premature.

&

If what I heard from my sources in the transportation industry today is true, the Vancouver situation is about to drive a stake through the economy.

My point being if management thinks a "normal" season is possible in 2022, I have my doubts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

If bob is running the show that's not a good thing he just needs to be the coach and that's it. Bob traded away Zimmerman and now look where LAFC are might be the worst trade in the last decade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    If bob is running the show that's not a good thing he just needs to be the coach and that's it. Bob traded away Zimmerman and now look where LAFC are might be the worst trade in the last decade.
    They didn't have enough cap space to re-sign Zimmerman. They traded him for $900k-$1.1M in TAM. That's a lot! Same thing with the Kaye deal. They knew they wouldn't have enough budget space to keep him long term, so they flipped him for a lot of TAM/GAM. If they didn't trade these players they'd lose them for nothing a year later. You can certainly declare LAFC the loser of both of these trades, but I can understand the merits and reasoning behind it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They traded Zimmerman for the players they used his cap space and the GAM on.

Looking at the list of guys they added in 2020 and 2021, that seems very dumb.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    They traded Zimmerman for the players they used his cap space and the GAM on.

Looking at the list of guys they added in 2020 and 2021, that seems very dumb.
    It was dumb but Thorrington is the Ali Curtis of LAFC. Bradley may or may not have had a say but Thorrington is the GM and he definitely was pushing to appease their fanbase by adding more flash and less balance. Much like the Gals in that regard. Not sure why Bradley gets all the blame for their moves by everyone. It's like blaming Vanney for Curtis botching things in 2018/19.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually think Manning runs the show. It's why Bez left, it's why he keeps Ali around, and why he won't hire a coach from Europe. He likes to be in control.

He's never hired a coach who wasn't American. In all his years at Real Salt Lake and Toronto, he's only ever hired American coaches in order to maintain control.
    Last edited by TFC/Everton; 11-19-2021 at 10:12 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can’t assume this without knowing the details. It’s not a slam dunk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually think Manning runs the show. It's why Bez left, it's why he keeps Ali around, and why he won't hire a coach from Europe. He likes to be in control.

He's never hired a coach who wasn't American. In all his years at Real Salt Lake and Toronto, he's only ever hired American coaches in order to maintain control.
    I don't think he was really running the show here for a while. I get the impression he drifted off to focus on trying to salvage the heap that is the Argos and other MLSE ventures but had to come back in because his boob hire Curtis ballsed up everything.

As for his Americanism, oh he has that in spades but I don't think it's a control thing. I think it's a familiarity thing. Less risk, know what you're getting thing. He goes for what he knows and as he was part of the earlier USMNT/MLS set up, he sticks with that. It's true all his hires and aims are American and that is clearly what he would prefer in player signings but I bet it's because he hits up his roladex and calls around to all his former buddies still involved in the game and gets references and suggestions. Too bad he didn't do that with Armas but that's what happens when you put your trust in your #2 and he ends up being a meathead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm stoked about Bradley. He's without question the top coaching candidate available with an extensive MLS pedigree. It might be awkward coaching his son but otherwise, I see no downside with this move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS Expansion draft for Charlotte is December 14

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I'm stoked about Bradley. He's without question the top coaching candidate available with an extensive MLS pedigree. It might be awkward coaching his son but otherwise, I see no downside with this move.
    If this happens, do we keep Perez?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    If this happens, do we keep Perez?
    I thinking keeping Perez as an assistant to Bradley would be a great for TFC long term. It gives you a natural replacement a few years down the line(I know I'm being optimistic).

Perez has potential to be an MLS coach in my opinion, I think a few years of learning from Bradley would ready him for a full time move to head coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    The question is whether the chuckle brothers can suck up their egos enough to give him the control he wants. It's entirely possible he won't come without having the power to decide player acquisitions. If they reject that or any level of managerial control, he'll probably turn them down. He already turned around one national team with Egypt, he has millions in the bank, he doesn't need to do this unless it's on his terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I thinking keeping Perez as an assistant to Bradley would be a great for TFC long term. It gives you a natural replacement a few years down the line(I know I'm being optimistic).

Perez has potential to be an MLS coach in my opinion, I think a few years of learning from Bradley would ready him for a full time move to head coach.
    Agreed, entirely. The small feedback from players publicly has been that he stabilized the room. With our collection of soaring narcissists that can't have been easy. (And I call them that because we have talent, we just play like a bunch of arrogant individuals who see everything as someone else's fault.)
    Last edited by jloome; 11-20-2021 at 02:10 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    MLS Expansion draft for Charlotte is December 14
    Not too worried about them taking someone key from TFC. If they want an aging injury-prone American former international, however, I think I can make a suggestion.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Bradly doesn't come in, fully expect next big rumour to be Frank Lampard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Latest in the Bor... Insigne transfer speculation suggests we've offered so much that it's making Napoli's offer seem insulting, basically.

https://www.eurosport.it/calcio/calc...30/story.shtml

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    The Latest in the Bor... Insigne transfer speculation suggests we've offered so much that it's making Napoli's offer seem insulting, basically.

https://www.eurosport.it/calcio/calc...30/story.shtml
    We are offering 10 million a year? If that is true, I legit think we have a real shot at Insigne. I was thinking our offer was in the 7 million a year range.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just as an FYI

Highest paid salary ever was Zlatan @ $7.2 million

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are offering 10 million a year? If that is true, I legit think we have a real shot at Insigne. I was thinking our offer was in the 7 million a year range.
    No way an MLS team is putting out that kind of money unless its a Beckham 2.0 type deal. There have been bigger players coming in for way less.
    Last edited by SirBobSaget; 11-21-2021 at 08:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, but he's not worth 10 million.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    Come on there is no way an MLS team is putting out that kind of money unless its a Beckman 2.0 type deal. There have been bigger players coming in for way less.
    This!
    One must be a bigger name on the global football scale than Insigne, to get that kind of money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    Sorry, but he's not worth 10 million.
    It isn't my money. Or your money. It counts the same against the cap as someone who makes 3 million. Why does it matter if he isn't worth 10 million a year?
    Last edited by MikeForbes; 11-21-2021 at 08:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He may not be worth 10 mil but that's what it will take for him to come over and play for TFC. Same thing happened with Gio.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Just as an FYI

Highest paid salary ever was Zlatan @ $7.2 million
    There is some uncertainty about what is in the DP salaries as reported. Personal services type stuff isn’t in there. Pirlo got reported as signing for $8M a year but then the MLS salary guide showed $6M and change. I remember an NYCFC blogger saying at the time the difference was a fancy NY apartment they rented for him and private jet flights for his family multiple times a year.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    There is some uncertainty about what is in the DP salaries as reported. Personal services type stuff isn’t in there. Pirlo got reported as signing for $8M a year but then the MLS salary guide showed $6M and change. I remember an NYCFC blogger saying at the time the difference was a fancy NY apartment they rented for him and private jet flights for his family multiple times a year.
    Good point.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto