Page 117 of 191 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118119120121127167 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,510 of 5705
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One other thing: it is obvious that there was a rift between Jozy and TFC on the medical side. None of us know the facts, but boy, many have shared his suspicion, that TFC just haven’t been good enough on the medical/training side. If that is part of his stance now, I can’t say I blame him.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I’d rather see Jozy sorted somehow, possibly even play out his final year, and use the buy-out on Bono(unless he can be moved). If I remember correctly, isn’t Bono on 482k?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Personally, I’d rather see Jozy sorted somehow, possibly even play out his final year, and use the buy-out on Bono(unless he can be moved). If I remember correctly, isn’t Bono on 482k?
    Buying out Jozy opens up more budget space compared to Bono ($612k vs. 482k). Bono also has value in the league, maybe not at his current price though. If you want to clear Bono, it opens up more budget space to buyout Jozy then trade Bono with like $100k GAM to another team. After that you still need to sign a 2nd keeper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting XI to start 2022 as of now:

Bono/Westberg; Lawrence, Mavinga, Salcedo, Auro; Bradley, Oso, Poz; Shaffelburg, Perruzza, Achara

This is worse than last year^. They need to sign players for right now immediately. A striker plus a winger at least and a back-up fullback, and a 4th centre back.

This team is going to get *fucked* as it stands. Camp opens next week and we look like shit. Signing Insigne and Salcedo is cool but we need players ASAP. They’re polishing a turd at the moment.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    One other thing: it is obvious that there was a rift between Jozy and TFC on the medical side. None of us know the facts, but boy, many have shared his suspicion, that TFC just haven’t been good enough on the medical/training side. If that is part of his stance now, I can’t say I blame him.
    We've had 3 different medical staffs here during his time and the results and complaints were the same with all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post

Bono/Westberg; Lawrence, Mavinga, Salcedo, Auro; Bradley, Oso, Poz; Shaffelburg, Perruzza, Achara

This is worse than last year^. They need to sign players for right now immediately. A striker plus a winger at least and a back-up fullback, and a 4th centre back.

This team is going to get *fucked* as it stands. Camp opens next week and we look like shit. Signing Insigne and Salcedo is cool but we need players ASAP. They’re polishing a turd at the moment.

This is the injection of reality that the team needs right now. Couldn't agree more. Hopefully some of these "irons in the fire" are for ASAP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

QUOTE=noxx98;1951706]Buying out Jozy opens up more budget space compared to Bono ($612k vs. 482k). Bono also has value in the league, maybe not at his current price though. If you want to clear Bono, it opens up more budget space to buyout Jozy then trade Bono with like $100k GAM to another team. After that you still need to sign a 2nd keeper.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I understand the cap hit. In my opinion, Bono is near useless, and hurts the team more . I doubt anyone would trade 50k in gam for him, let alone 100k. He steadily gets worse each year, at least Jozy showed a glimmer at the end of last year.
    Last edited by Kamp Berg; 01-14-2022 at 09:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you guys under estimate just how much everyone seems to love Alex Bono in the organization.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah. We are gonna have such a hard time scoring goals with that lineup.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, what I think is “established” is that he played with injuries in 2017 and 2018 CCL when maybe he shouldn’t have, and without that we do not win the Cup or go to CCL final. He also wasn’t “pretty good” in 2016-2018 CCL, he established a record of clutch playoff dominance that the league has never come close to seeing, before or since. Year after year top teams fail in the playoffs because their strikers get closed down (and Columbus came damn close to doing it to us in 2017). Breaking through that, over and over, like Jozy did, it was not just elite. It was unreal.

Then he starting breaking down. Who knows why? You saying he wasn’t in shape, that really is just speculation, and kind of denies pretty obvious evidence of a “warrior” personality. My speculation is that it was just bad luck, and maybe a consequence of playing injured earlier. Also he has been plagued by injuries since before his time at TFC.

In retrospect to re-up in 2019 was a mistake, in particular that amount of term was a serious error by Manning, but wow, your take is pretty mean spirited towards Jozy. To me, anyway.
    Couldn't agree more.

It's easy to let his recent play dominate our thinking, but he was one of the top strikers in the league for a time.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW, I do think it highly likely that Jozy is gone, despite painting some potential situations where he might stay.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-14-2022 at 09:38 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then he starting breaking down. Who knows why? You saying he wasn’t in shape, that really is just speculation, and kind of denies pretty obvious evidence of a “warrior” personality. My speculation is that it was just bad luck, and maybe a consequence of playing injured earlier. Also he has been plagued by injuries since before his time at TFC.
    When a guy like Bob Bradley who has worked with Jozy for the USMNT and has known him for years says Jozy hasn't being doing enough with his fitness it means something.

It also isn't speculation that he came to camp out of shape and overweight after the lockdown, which he admitted. It's also not speculation that every time he has an injury it takes him 6 weeks to get back to full fitness which implies he wasn't doing the cardio part of the program as intended. Look the guy was good and clutch but his time is over. Maybe the injuries earlier derailed him but he had a history of hamstring pulls long before we got him here so that's all speculation as is implying he is a warrior. He could also be like Sturridge who medical staffs from various teams questioned his injury absences as in their opinion the injuries were very minor. This we don't know so let's go with what we do; he can't play more than 1/3 a season, he can't produce much more than an average domestic MLS striker by numbers over the past 3-4 seasons, but he will score a few clutch goals. Add on top the 'cloud' reference and it equals something we shouldn't bother with anymore.

There comes a time to move on and that time has come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, what I think is “established” is that he played with injuries in 2017 and 2018 CCL when maybe he shouldn’t have, and without that we do not win the Cup or go to CCL final. He also wasn’t “pretty good” in 2016-2018 CCL, he established a record of clutch playoff dominance that the league has never come close to seeing, before or since. Year after year top teams fail in the playoffs because their strikers get closed down (and Columbus came damn close to doing it to us in 2017). Breaking through that, over and over, like Jozy did, it was not just elite. It was unreal.

In retrospect to re-up in 2019 was a mistake, in particular that amount of term was a serious error by Manning, but wow, your take is pretty mean spirited towards Jozy. To me, anyway.
    What do you mean it's speculation that he wasn't in shape? There's video of him watching his wife workout. What more do you need?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rapids trade Acosta to LAFC. This likely means Kaye is staying in Colorado. I know there was some discussions that he could be a target given the Bob Bradley connection and Manning saying they were looking at CANMNT players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    And once we try to add 2nd or 3rd choices for that line-up, there are a lot of blank spots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In terms of what is going on with Jozy, I think it's pretty safe now, post the DDT (“Dwyer Debacle Trade”), to say Jozy is almost certainly being bought out, and whether TFC is handling it “correctly” is impossible to judge from the outside, we don’t know what the communications or negotiations really might be.

Suspect there is some sort of potential opportunity for creativity somewhere before Feb 26 that depends on Jozy finding a new home, and whether he is at camp or not is a small piece of the puzzle. Honestly, he cannot afford to get hurt now, if he is looking for a spot, and it may be as simple as him not wanting to take even a small risk of pulling his hamstring or adductor doing wind sprints.
    That actually makes some sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But let’s be realistic… there are additional players coming this window.

My question is how good of a DP striker can we land and otherwise, can the midfielders / fullbacks do the job?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A report out of Italy this morning says Portland is trying to sign Seba.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    But let’s be realistic… there are additional players coming this window.

My question is how good of a DP striker can we land and otherwise, can the midfielders / fullbacks do the job?
    It is very hard to find a striker who can really score, consistently. They are clearly there - Bradley Wright Phillips is a great example of a diamond in the rough - but its not easy to find ones you can be sure about. At the time, we took a bit of a flier on Jozy given his scoring record at Sunderland and it worked out incredible; part of that was we had two strikers with him and Seba who complimented each other very well; part of that was Jozy's history in other leagues; part of that was luck. Danny K and DeRo are really the only others that we have had and if you think of some who have come through our roster - Robbie Earnshaw comes to mind - decent track record before TFC but here, nowhere near the level of a Jozy DeRo or BWP as a threat, game in game out. And it is not just us. Look at Newcastle! All the money in the world, literally, and they get Chris Wood - an honest player who chips in now and then but no Ibra.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you guys under estimate just how much everyone seems to love Alex Bono in the organization.
    I’m sure I do, but I can’t fathom why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m sure I do, but I can’t fathom why.
    Have you seen how tall and handsome he is?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yep, I understand the cap hit. In my opinion, Bono is near useless, and hurts the team more . I doubt anyone would trade 50k in gam for him, let alone 100k. He steadily gets worse each year, at least Jozy showed a glimmer at the end of last year.
    Bono was good when he had Drew Moor in front of him telling him what to do and where to be. I'm curious to see how he fairs when Salcedo is there doing the same.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 01-14-2022 at 11:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono was good when he had Drew Moor in front of him telling him what to do and where to be. I'm curious to see how he fairs when Salcedo is there doing the same.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Moor made everyone around him better.
    Bono’s stats last year were abysmal, MLS may be too much for him now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post

Rapids trade Acosta to LAFC. This likely means Kaye is staying in Colorado. I know there was some discussions that he could be a target given the Bob Bradley connection and Manning saying they were looking at CANMNT players.
    Yeah that was my speculation. It was obvious something had to happen there.
    Dammit.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    What do you mean it's speculation that he wasn't in shape? There's video of him watching his wife workout. What more do you need?
    Also what about these videos showing him eating cake on new years day? The guy is not serious about nutrition.

https://people.com/sports/sloane-ste...tidore-photos/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah, Moor made everyone around him better.
    Bono’s stats last year were abysmal, MLS may be too much for him now.
    I'm not a bono fan. I think he's more of a Joe Bendik than he is a Stefan Frei. Bottom of the league goalie.
    He's getting starter wages, which IMO he doesn't deserve.

With that being said, I wouldn't worry too much about moving him or Westburg right now. There are other fish to fry with our lineup.
    He's an expensive piece, but it's not a piece we need to stress about right now if our backline is solid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy is likely leaving and if so it will be time to say thank you.

What I am fighting back on is the spurious trashing of his reputation by making up facts from bits and pieces. Why cant we simply acknowledge that he might be leaving? It's nasty, disrespectful, and false to create a non factual narrative that trashes the reputation of a legend.

It simply isn't true that the club or anyone else has ever said that his injuries in the past came from being out of shape - in fact the ankle surgery he had last year might well have been made necessary by the injury he had suffered years earlier (one which he played through the pain to score a critical goal for us in the playoffs), and might be an example of Ensco's point - he actually made the problem worse by playing through injuries. We don't know.

Something we do know: what Vanney said about him in 2020 at training camp:

Of note, the Reds’ head coach was particularly keen on Jozy Altidore coming into training camp in great shape after struggling with injuries in past offseasons.

“His fitness always plays a big role just because he’s such a unique player in his strength, his size, and his soccer capabilities...,” said Vanney. “For Jozy, he’s come in and he looks different than he did last year. He looks slim. As a starting point, he looks fit and ready to go.
    “I think he did a great job, whatever he did in the offseason, he looks fantastic, and we’ll try to build off of that.” (source: https://www.wakingthered.com/2020/1/...mp-says-vanney)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    When a guy like Bob Bradley who has worked with Jozy for the USMNT and has known him for years says Jozy hasn't being doing enough with his fitness it means something.
    What Bob said, right after being announced in November, was: “I don’t think (Altidore) is as committed to the team as he used to be. It shows in just the pure number of minutes. It shows in his fitness level.” It's true, that supports your point.

When Bob said that, I was shocked, given that Jozy had publicly said Michael's ankle issues after 2019 were botched by the team. Which made the whole thing weird. MB kind of ducked that whole issue at the time. (Bob's Jozy comments never really blew up on twitter or on the board here the way I thought they might at the time.)

I thought it might be some kind of mind-trick motivation tactic on Bob's part to see if Jozy wanted to prove him wrong, but as time passes, the most likely conclusion now is that Bob meant every word of it and/or that TFC may be seeking an insurance/injury settlement on the money owed Jozy in the buyout. I remember the whole Frings departure being kind of drawn out and mysterious, with nobody saying anything coherent, because of that process.

I am personally in wait and see mode on this whole fitness question, as this is a dark part of the pro sports world. You have to see where Jozy lands and what he does to see to have an opinion.

Back to BB's comment: I assume Jozy will have something to say about that comment after he is gone. I expect him to rip the team at some point. I will be surprised if he doesn't.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-14-2022 at 12:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

medicals start tomorrow...why are tfc not announcing the ayo,perruzza,franklin signings,whats going on with fraser.they are slow off the mark,hopefully some news today

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Bono was good when he had Drew Moor in front of him telling him what to do and where to be. I'm curious to see how he fairs when Salcedo is there doing the same.
    I still say he was good and had potential to improve but we probably didn't have a a good GK coach to improve him. His play declined just like Westberg's has and Irwin's did. There is a chance he could improve with a really good GK coach. Hopefully we get one.