Page 51 of 191 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 5705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m gonna just let myself be a fan here and say holy shit this is unbelievable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^I used to think this, then changed my mind when Bez left and Curtis came in. I thought TFC would become, not Dallas, but not the top spending team.

I guess the reality is we became a team that spent poorly.

I still don’t get how Insigne makes sense at these types of dollars, in terms of building the marketing presence. He is not a Del Piero, a Pirlo, a Baggio, in terms of wattage, not even close. I know others will argue this point, but Giovinco had higher name recognition in 2015 than Insigne has now. Napoli is just not Juve or a Milan team.

I assume Bogers understands the investment side of this better than I do. I guess.
    I would not assume Bodgers does anything well. Both of them rely on market power not innovation and therefore don’t really have to market well.

That said this looks a fantastic signing. So exciting. EDIT “if it happens” (just read JLoome)
    Last edited by MightyDM; 12-28-2021 at 12:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    This city owes that man so much. I hope he never pays for a beer whenever he's here.
    Totally. This kind of thinking is his legacy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    For what it's worth, Twellman says Gio was making more than reported.
    He also hedges his bets by calling it a "belief." In other words, he thinks Giovinco was making more than reported. In other words, he has fucking nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I used to think this, then changed my mind when Bez left and Curtis came in. I thought TFC would become, not Dallas, but not the top spending team.

I guess the reality is we became a team that spent poorly.

I still don’t get how Insigne makes sense at these types of dollars, in terms of building the marketing presence. He is not a Del Piero, a Pirlo, a Baggio, in terms of wattage, not even close. I know others will argue this point, but Giovinco had higher name recognition in 2015 than Insigne has now. Napoli is just not Juve or a Milan team.

But I assume Bogers understands the investment side of this better than I do. I guess.
    I think he's a much bigger name than Giovinco was because of the Euro. This is a huge signing if it's actually over the line.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

insigne is the biggest signing in toronto sports history.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twellman is very connected to MLS FO, if he's making a claim as big as that it's based on something. Is it accurate? Not sure, I don't see MLS/MLSEs incentive to under report the salary, but he isn't pulling it out of his arse and throwing it into the ether for the lols like some random punter who has a blog somewhere - there is at least some basis for the belief

And also, yes, this by far and emphatically the biggest signing in TFC history and maybe only behind Beckham and Ibra for biggest in MLS history (And those two were older, so arguably less effective on field performers at the time of signing - certainly for Beckham, just the prestige factor was huge) IF we pull it off. You cannot compare a 50 cap Italian international, key squad member in a Euro win 6 months ago and 319 Serie A appearances to a player with under half the Serie A appearances, half the caps for Italy when signed and nothing as high profile as a Euro win behind him. Salary could be whatever it is, we've never signed anyone operating at this level
    Last edited by JoesphNdo; 12-28-2021 at 12:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I struggle to think of a player that kept a higher standard of play immediately prior to coming to MLS.

Maybe Zlatan? Although his game was almost tailor made to crush MLS defences who can rarely handle that much size and skill.

We have to round out our team. With a above average supporting cast we can really run over the opposition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No reason to cut corners on that other DP slot. We need to give Insigne a high end number 9 to play with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Toronto FC" is trending on Twitter in Italy. Something I never thought I would say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grain of salt needed on this... But goodbye parity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silly season in full effect now...what's the Italian for bloody big deal!?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I’m gonna just let myself be a fan here and say holy shit this is unbelievable.
    Right on.

If it's true.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post

Rollins said in November TFC had discussions with him, but there wasn't a pathway to a deal. Granted, Rollins's recent track record isn't great.

Either way, let's dream big I'm here for it. Mbappe is also available on a free transfer in June...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Dude, you're getting sucked into the hype. Even if he does end up here, it won't be on anything like the money quoted this morning.

People have to learn that aggregator news sites with minimal staff or mostly freelancers basically just makeup stories and they attempt to be plausible while doing so.

But 90% of these stories turn out to be either bullshit or grossly factually inaccurate.

We had Soteldo in multiple stories for months on a SALARY of $6M a season when he was actually making $1.7M.

If no one comes in for him from another club we'll get him, but bona fide offers and agreements on salary, again, are not legal until he's within the Bosman window.

It's as likely these stories are originating in TFC's offices as anywhere, as it probably stands any offer they HAVE made in good stead to have competitors thinking he's already overpriced for their needs.

Does anyone really think MLS, a single-entity league that has to approve every deal, is going to start paying DPs at the same level as Premiership strikers? Because that's what this alleged offer would do, put him on potentially higher wages than Alexander Lacazette gets at Arsenal.

It's bullshit. They've like quoted him something similar to what Vela gets, in the $7M a season range. Various interested parties are attempting to massage the money northward.

But none of it likely amounts to accurate reporting.
    Yeah the arc of the reporting of Soteldo's salary is worth remembering.

I agree that it's probably more like $7M. But still, say it's a $30M commitment for this player? at this age? with this level of name recognition?.. I mean, holy crap. Did Leiweke come back and nobody noticed?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im waiting for the bonucci rumors...we do need a CB dont we

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck yes, I was literally thinking this a few weeks back when nobody was going after him and he's free after this summer. 🇮🇹

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck parity tbh - let the money flow for the DP spots. Doesn't cost us any more cap space than the next DP.

Any other rumours on the CB front, then? our depth chart's still looking bare there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did Leiweke come back and nobody noticed?
    Manning woke up mid-Armas and thought "If I can't get us back to where we were, I'm fucked," probably. So he's copying the blueprint that worked the last time seat sales were slumping.

To me, it's insane to give a 30-year-old winger $28M or whatever it works out to be. It's asking for Jozy part II. We have one or two great years with him -- and it's not my money, so hey, why not -- and then he spends the last two as an on-again off-again player, because the demands of travel in MLS, the playing surfaces and the rough defending all make it very hard to perform and train without injury.

Plus, Insigne is not a consistent goal scoring machine. He's a massively broadly talented skill player, yes, but he has alternated almost annually between being Napoli's scorer and their playmaker.

While I highly doubt we end up with Soteldo Version 2, and it's more likely we get Seba quality, he's already at the age where he'll be starting to lose speed, and I remember how quickly Giovinco's play declined after year two.

I welcome the talent, obviously, but it doesn't seem like a brilliant signing to me. It seems like we're spending the kind of money that could guarantee us a 20-goal-per-season man on a player who won't do that, in all likelihood.

As for the probability of it all, these same outlets and reporters have been linking us with player in Italy constantly since before the end of the season, and none have gone beyond rumours. I don't expect them to be right this time, either, except that no one else is talking publicly about wanting him as much (or paying him as much).

Inter Milan have inquired about him as well; if Inter thinks it's crazy money, I wonder why TFC think it isn't. And yes, I get that two years of sellouts could result. But $28M is a lot of fucking money. We could build a decent entire roster with that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can argue about Insigne 2022 vs Gio 2015. That is a debate.

But can we not invent some kind of status for Insigne with Azzurri fans that does not exist?

Insigne, Immobile, all the forwards especially, are really identified with a generation of abject failure in WC qualifying and early exits.

I don't know how much the Euro win changes that, some for sure, but since then they coughed it up in WC qualifying. Again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But can we not invent some kind of status for Insigne with Azzurri fans that does not exist?

Insigne, Immobile, all the forwards especially, are really identified with a generation of abject failure in WC qualifying and early exits.

I don't know how much the Euro win changes that, some for sure, but since then they coughed it up in WC qualifying. Again.
    Did you see some of the comments under the Italian stories? Fans saying exactly that. "He's no Baggio, he's no Nesta" etc. Because of his age and recent injury they consider him a marginal to even make the team.

Napoli are offering him half what he makes because Chucky Lozano has taken his spot and is performing for a fraction of the money. He just had an eleven-goal season and cost them more than $40M, so he's going to be starting there anyway. They lose nothing out of this but shedding some salary, basically.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Toronto FC" is trending on Twitter in Italy. Something I never thought I would say.
    That just makes me laugh so hard....love it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It just isn't a debate, at all.

Seba was, from a National perspective, a really really promising youngster who never quite made it to the level he was expected to make it too and remained a bit part player at club and country level. He'll mostly be remembered as a 'what could have been'

Insigne is a key Serie A player and near automatic starter for Napoli and a automatic squad member for Italy who played a decent role in them winning the euros 6 months ago. Again, we're talking over twice the caps and over twice the Serie A appearances

This may be no Nesta, no Del Pierro etc, but he got to levels above where Seba ever got to in the game. I think by my math Insigne has more goals for Napoli than Seba had appearances for Juve.
    Last edited by JoesphNdo; 12-28-2021 at 01:28 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Fuck yes, I was literally thinking this a few weeks back when nobody was going after him and he's free after this summer. 
    I was thinking he would have been a target for Napoli, if they ever lost Insigne.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ re the Gio vs Insigne debate, I get that, that is all correct… but I know for a fact that Italian soccer fans who don’t support Naples (which is most of them) don’t see that team as on a truly elite level from a fan interest POV (notwithstanding recent CL success etc).

I also think that the value of Azzurri players to Italian fans has gone down since 2015. Because of the WC problems. There will be a fair number of them for whom the goal against Belgium last summer in the quarters won’t offset the 15 times he didn’t produce over the last 10 years.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-28-2021 at 01:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if the money is true.yes a overpayment.but who cares.hopefully a soldout stadium.kit sales more adverts,entertainment and hopefully winning futbol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    if the money is true.yes a overpayment.but who cares.hopefully a soldout stadium.kit sales more adverts,entertainment and hopefully winning futbol
    I am a bit torn. On the one hand, right on. One of the top 100 players in the world, yay!

On the other, if this doesn’t work, it's Altidore all over again (as jloome points out) and the question is, what else could or should we have spent $30M on?

My biggest fear is that Insigne, like Soteldo, is a system player, and won’t have Dries Mertens here to absorb the attention of opposing defenders as the primary option. We have to have an elite striker if we do this.

But if we get him, for sure, he becomes probably the best player to wear the jersey. I mean, wow.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-28-2021 at 01:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Insigne to TFC- is almost done

https://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Calci...59700679.shtml

According to the gazzetta is being offered 5 years at 10 million euro a season.

This is a serious signing. Italian media think it is pretty much a done deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Tell that to Siakam. But you're right tho. Who cares? It's about time we flexed our ''fuck you'' money again. With Insigne and hopefully Belotti!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    We got one CB last week

A sub - we don't have a leader yet.