Page 43 of 191 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 5705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Rodrigo Nestor looks like a very good passer with HUGE upside. Hope this happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQvgXXR5I8w
    Dude is a baller!
    It looks like he has a lot better vision on the field, and more maturity, more a team player than Soteldo.
    But of course not as flashy as Soteldo.

At the end of the day for TFC he can add more "useful value" than Soteldo added.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 12-20-2021 at 03:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    Dude is a baller!
    It looks like he has a lot better vision on the field, and more maturity, more a team player than Soteldo.
    But of course not as flashy as Soteldo.

At the end of the day for TFC he can add more "useful value" than Soteldo added.
    Glurghh...double no. 10s with Pozuelo... I'm having a homer-with-a-porkchop moment at the prospect.

What a talent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably not us, but

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Probably not us, but

That's not ideal for Canada. Looks like he won't be playing leading into the next IB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    That's not ideal for Canada. Looks like he won't be playing leading into the next IB.
    The Serbian league is on a winter break from now through Feb 12, so he wouldn't have been playing anyways

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Probably not us, but

Why not us?

I don't read that much into our having protected Bono and Q.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

would love to have Borjan in Toronto. Would also cut the amount of international travel he has to do for the CMNT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Why not us?

I don't read that much into our having protected Bono and Q.
    Bono only has a year left so if they feel he's unsalvageable, they might well just choose to eat that salary hit and bring another goalie in. I doubt Serbian football is paying him a ton, so it's unlikely we'd be looking at a TAM or DP situation.

Plus, if they've accepted they might eat his salary for a year without him playing, they might try and loan him out, give him a chance to sell himself elsewhere before his deal expires.

Having said all that, Montreal seems more likely. Pantemis isn't a starting quality keeper, I don't think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rodrigo Nestor looks like a very good passer with HUGE upside. Hope this happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQvgXXR5I8w
    Dude seems to have quite a bit of skill for a box-to-box/pivot midfielder. Definitely intriguing...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Dude seems to have quite a bit of skill for a box-to-box/pivot midfielder. Definitely intriguing...
    So apparently we made an offer sans Soteldo, probably as an u22 DM. Sao Paolo want $10M for him, but they're allegedly discussing a Soteldo swap where we eat some of Yefe's salary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watched some of the same highlights of Nestor I am sure you guys did and... Yes, please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can really pick a pass, and good in the tackle too. Only one goal in the highlight reel, so have to assume he doesn't score much, if ever. Interesting choice of music too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, DP or U22, I am 100% in on Nestor.

1. If he is a young DP (U23), then he will only count as $200,000 against the cap + we can sign 3 U22 players. I like Bob Bradley's ability to identify these types of young players.

2. If he is a U22 signing, then we still have a DP slot open, as long as Jozy leaves.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, DP or U22, I am 100% in on Nestor.

1. If he is a young DP (U23), then he will only count as $200,000 against the cap + we can sign 3 U22 players. I like Bob Bradley's ability to identify these types of young players.

2. If he is a U22 signing, then we still have a DP slot open, as long as Jozy leaves.
    not quite. depends on who your 3rd DP is

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/2021-...nd-regulations
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    not quite. depends on who your 3rd DP is

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/2021-...nd-regulations
    Explain...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    So apparently we made an offer sans Soteldo, probably as an u22 DM. Sao Paolo want $10M for him, but they're allegedly discussing a Soteldo swap where we eat some of Yefe's salary.
    Yeah this makes a lot more sense. Any 21 year old getting featured like this by a São Paulo is worth a lot of money.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't get too excited by Nestor. 21 year old's in that position with potential are not a long way from Europe.

If we do get him its going to be a short period before they are sold off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Don't get too excited by Nestor. 21 year old's in that position with potential are not a long way from Europe.

How is that a that a negative? If he becomes so high in demand then TFC gets to flip him at a really good profit gaining a lot of GAM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    How is that a that a negative? If he becomes so high in demand then TFC gets to flip him at a really good profit gaining a lot of GAM.
    You cant build a stable core if your assets are constantly leaving before you can benefit from them. With homegrowns it's understandable, however with foreign transfers it's avoidable.

Not saying we shouldn't be going after these prospects but there has to be some longevity to them. Can we win championships in less than 3 years? This would be ideal if we already had a solid core, but right now we have a lot of holes that need filling for the next 5 years.

MLS has made it clear they want clubs to become perpetual buyers/flippers for profit which I don't support, it's unsustainable and foolish.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS has made it clear they want clubs to become perpetual buyers/flippers for profit which I don't support, it's unsustainable and foolish.
    All because of Almiron & Davies.

There was an Athletic article about this a couple of weeks ago where Stejskal basically said the league is being largely run by a number of owners who's priorities are team valuations & reducing expenditures. Quality of play matters little to these people - Dallas & Vancouver ownership are the big drivers here. Being a selling league is inevitable for anybody but the top 4 teams in the world. But the quality of play is suffering because the emphasis is on spending $ on individual pieces that are saleable over spending it on the whole team.

https://theathletic.com/3009792/2021...-top-priority/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not too excited because I don’t think it will happen.

We are paying $10M for a U22 DP and going full Atlanta under Tata? I very much doubt it.

If we spend real money, it's to win and/or put bums in seats.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-21-2021 at 08:00 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    All because of Almiron & Davies.

There was an Athletic article about this a couple of weeks ago where Stejskal basically said the league is being largely run by a number of owners who's priorities are team valuations & reducing expenditures. Quality of play matters little to these people - Dallas & Vancouver ownership are the big drivers here. Being a selling league is inevitable for anybody but the top 4 teams in the world. But the quality of play is suffering because the emphasis is on spending $ on individual pieces that are saleable over spending it on the whole team.

https://theathletic.com/3009792/2021...-top-priority/
    Sure, Almiron was wonderful for everyone (Davies not relevant, he was just a bluebird from heaven, no transfer paid)… but what about Barco, Kaku (that was a true dumpster fire), Brenner hasn’t done much… LAFC was talking a big game with Rossi but has only loaned him out. What about Soteldo himself?

Pretty sobering outcomes up here, on balance. It’s really not the case that these South American starlets improve their game or value in MLS and if I were a player I would really not be excited about going that route.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-21-2021 at 08:03 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Explain...

U22 Initiative Roster Slots

Number of Slots:

Each MLS team will have up to three U22 Initiative Slots that will each occupy one of the 20 existing Senior Roster Slots. The number of U22 Initiative Slots available to each team will be based on that team’s use of its third Designated Player slot.

If a Club has a vacant third Designated Player slot, the Club will have available three U22 Initiative Slots.

If a Club elects to sign a third Designated Player, the number of U22 Initiative Slots would be impacted in the following way:

• If the third Designated Player is a Young Designated Player, the club will have all three U22 Initiative Slots.
    • If the third Designated Player is age 24 or older, yet is at, or below, Maximum Targeted Allocation Money Amount ($1,612,500), the club will have all three U22 Initiative Slots.
    • If the third Designated Player is age 24 or older and is above Maximum Targeted Allocation Money Amount ($1,612,500), the club will have one U22 Initiative Slot.

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure, Almiron was wonderful for everyone (Davies not relevant, he was just a bluebird from heaven, no transfer paid)… but what about Barco, Kaku (that was a true dumpster fire), Brenner hasn’t done much… LAFC was talking a big game with Rossi but has only loaned him out. What about Soteldo himself?

Pretty sobering outcomes up here, on balance. It’s really not the case that these South American starlets improve their game or value in MLS and if I were a player I would really not be excited about going that route.
    Yep. Being a finishing school for elite talent is far more nuanced than MLS believes it is.

Overall though, I find it hard to complain. This league has gone from barely watchable to something that has actual entertainment value. But they have to solve problems like squad depth / balance to continue to improve.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Oh yeah, I am not complaining. I love the Nestor idea. I just don’t really get why the TFC suits or Nestor himself might like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Yep. Being a finishing school for elite talent is far more nuanced than MLS believes it is.

Overall though, I find it hard to complain. This league has gone from barely watchable to something that has actual entertainment value. But they have to solve problems like squad depth / balance to continue to improve.
    Another issue is that no good player from South America goes undetected to the big European clubs. If he's available to MLS he's most likely been passed over by the big clubs already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Another issue is that no good player from South America goes undetected to the big European clubs. If he's available to MLS he's most likely been passed over by the big clubs already.
    Sure!
    You guys can bet that this is/was very true for example for Soteldo too.

Big enough European clubs have seen that he has truckloads of flashiness, but for all that there is not enough final output/impact for the teams he's playing on. At least no yet, maybe he's not ripe enough, maybe he'll never be, who knows...

All big Euro clubs have zero need for players to put bums in the seats, because all those seats are filled forever, and if they spend the big dough they want to be sure that the spend will reflect fully on the team's strength.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 12-21-2021 at 09:45 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not too excited because I don’t think it will happen.

We are paying $10M for a U22 DP and going full Atlanta under Tata? I very much doubt it.

If we spend real money, it's to win and/or put bums in seats.
    Here is my biggest problem with SA acquisitions, do the players really want to be here? I think Soteldo with Poz and a healthy finisher would be exciting but does he want to be here (can't tell with the rumors and Covid last year, he hasn't seen Toronto)

What was brilliant about MB, Gio & Jozy... they wanted to be here, they wanted to win and Toronto was rocking. Find players that want to win and want to build and grow. MLSE doesn't need to be the Europe transit station (others do). They need quality content, bums in seats and championships for their broadcast networks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Being a selling league is inevitable for anybody but the top 4 teams in the world.
    Come on, make that number at least 10.