Page 24 of 191 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    On the Insigne thing, which I continue to not believe…. I did just notice something interesting. I got curious whether BB ever previously interacted with Insigne. That I couldn’t find any evidence for but…

Insigne was a key part of Pescara's miracle season in Serie B in 2011-12. The manager there was Zdenek Zeman, a well known character in the trenches of Italian football. That Pescara team, which also had Ciro Immobile and Marco Vergati as teenagers, is quite famous in Italy, it came out of nowhere and was promoted in dramatic fashion, scoring 90 goals, a record which still stands..

Zeman's reward was his one and only big job, at Roma. Guess who his first signing was?

https://www.chiesaditotti.com/2012/7...ichael-bradley
    Love this post!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Oso just likes to show off his massively oversized winter jackets.
    I can't remember now, but I'd be shocked if Oso wore team gear to the End of Season pressers in the past. I feel like these are his moments to show off his style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zeman had other big jobs...lazio and roma in the 90s are two quick ones

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, what am i missing?… Insigne is primarily an attacking LW, which means change of position or no playing time for Shaff and still here Soteldo. Article from yesterday that Everton are still tracking him, https://www.footballfancast.com/ever...s-rafa-benitez and he was out of yesterdays game because he has a knee injury.

Not saying i wouldn’t want him but so many things dont make sense. We need a reliable striker to finish plays, we have the playmakers, we also need a Keeper and young, fast and solid CB.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Ok, what am i missing?… Insigne is primarily an attacking LW, which means change of position or no playing time for Shaff and still here Soteldo. Article from yesterday that Everton are still tracking him, https://www.footballfancast.com/ever...s-rafa-benitez and he was out of yesterdays game because he has a knee injury.

Not saying i wouldn’t want him but so many things dont make sense. We need a reliable striker to finish plays, we have the playmakers, we also need a Keeper and young, fast and solid CB.
    Totally agree.

I would take that money they're offering him and dump a bunch of it at Cruz Azul's feet for Jonathan Rodriguez since there's apparently some MLS interest in him and use the remainder to grab a CB & GK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure Insigne would be used in a very similar way to Giovinco. He'd free roam from a more central position and be used beside a guy just like Jonathan Rodriguez.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure Insigne would be used in a very similar way to Giovinco. He'd free roam from a more central position and be used beside a guy just like Jonathan Rodriguez.
    But we're supposed to have him too. Not sure, no matter his age or anything else, if he is the sitting on the bench and not causing problems kind of guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    But we're supposed to have him too. Not sure, no matter his age or anything else, if he is the sitting on the bench and not causing problems kind of guy.
    In my fun, imaginary world we say no to shameless nostalgia. I also agree with you on the fact that Giovinco would probably kick up a fuss about being benched unless he has matured a ton since he last played here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my fun, imaginary world we say no to shameless nostalgia. I also agree with you on the fact that Giovinco would probably kick up a fuss about being benched unless he has matured a ton since he last played here.
    I'm part of this world too but it seems like nostalgia (or season membership sales) are important again so I expect him here unless he really hasn;t changed at all and wants $7M a season or something equally ridiculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure season seat sales is always a goal but Manning said in the press conference yesterday that poor attendance this year was attributed to season seat holders being given the option to use their tickets this year or bank the cash for next season. Paraphrasing his words, he was saying it sucked this year but on the upside, 85% of season seat holders banked the money so they already have that cash in the bank. He was alluding to the fact that they want to make a splash but selling season seats isn't as big a deal this year as it usually is.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buddies View Post
    I'm sure season seat sales is always a goal but Manning said in the press conference yesterday that poor attendance this year was attributed to season seat holders being given the option to use their tickets this year or bank the cash for next season. Paraphrasing his words, he was saying it sucked this year but on the upside, 85% of season seat holders banked the money so they already have that cash in the bank. He was alluding to the fact that they want to make a splash but selling season seats isn't as big a deal this year as it usually is.
    Until there is an actual renewal campaign we have not idea how many will renew for 2022 or not. Yes someone leaving their money in their account is a good indicator of their intent, they could always take their money back based on how they feel about the team.

I do commend MLSE for allowing people to opt in to tickets or not in 2021. They could have just easily turned on everyones tickets once the stadium was back to fully capacity for the final 5 games as Montreal did.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buddies View Post

Yeh, that was my take.

They want to build a winning team, not a splashy one.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    There were 3 or 4 journos present in person. I think thats the first time since COVID that any of the press have been with the team in person.

Yes, and it showed.

The questions were better, pointed & nobody was blowing smoke up anybody's butt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, Giovinco was also mainly a left winger and was hardly prolific before he came over. Worked out pretty well.

Inter are reportedly trying to sign Insigne on a free transfer to convert him into a second striker. I'm not convinced he can cut it as a striker at that level, and I wouldn't be thrilled if he came here to play up front on his own, but next to another guy he'd certainly be a force in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giovinco’s agent flew back to Europe today.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    FWIW, Giovinco was also mainly a left winger and was hardly prolific before he came over. Worked out pretty well.

Inter are reportedly trying to sign Insigne on a free transfer to convert him into a second striker. I'm not convinced he can cut it as a striker at that level, and I wouldn't be thrilled if he came here to play up front on his own, but next to another guy he'd certainly be a force in MLS.
    Insigne plays extremely similar to Giovinco for Napoli in terms of being mostly on the left but cutting in and shooting or combining with more central players to cause havoc and is a reliable spot and penalty kick taker. I know he has a knock right now but is usually a very durable player which is good and doesn't sit out with injury much in recent years. He is the Napoli captain so must be a good leader. I just worry that he won't be happy here if he did come without the right supporting cast around him so they would have to get that right. He is not at his strongest anytime he played as a second striker for Napoli so not sure why Inter would want to play him out of position if true. He would do ok just not his strongest position at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Insigne plays extremely similar to Giovinco for Napoli in terms of being mostly on the left but cutting in and shooting or combining with more central players to cause havoc and is a reliable spot and penalty kick taker. I know he has a knock right now but is usually a very durable player which is good and doesn't sit out with injury much in recent years. He is the Napoli captain so must be a good leader. I just worry that he won't be happy here if he did come without the right supporting cast around him so they would have to get that right. He is not at his strongest anytime he played as a second striker for Napoli so not sure why Inter would want to play him out of position if true. He would do ok just not his strongest position at all.
    Inter is also looking at Jonathan David who plays quite well as a second striker. We'll seed what happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Inter is also looking at Jonathan David who plays quite well as a second striker. We'll seed what happens.
    I hope David doesn’t go to Inter. He would never get in. Serie A is not the environment for a Canadian striker to emerge on a big team.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope David doesn’t go to Inter. He would never get in. Serie A is not the environment for a Canadian striker to emerge on a big team.
    Until a few years ago, neither was any team in Europe!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He should go to a better league than Serie A but not the EPL because it will do him no good to sit. Hopefully a solid German team comes calling.

He can think about Serie A or MLS when he is close to retirement and the EPL after another step up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dortmund to replace Haaland is the best place for David next year.

Back on topic, options are due to be picked up or declined by the 30th of this month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m not sure why the auto-assumption is that he won’t play at Inter.

Osimhen preceded David and plays at Napoli.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David to Inter makes sense only if they are selling Lautaro Martinez imo. Both from a financial and playing time perspective

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    David to Inter makes sense only if they are selling Lautaro Martinez imo. Both from a financial and playing time perspective
    Yep this was what I was thinking. Nationality has nothing to do with it, but the somewhat likely scenario of Martinez going will open up a starting spot for him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soteldo was appearently offered to Palmeiras:

Via Twitter - Thiago Fernandes
    @thirfernandes:

Soteldo é oferecido, mas Palmeiras vê ex-Santos 'muito caro' para ser reforço hojeAtacante tem salário de US$ 1,7 milhão no Toronto FC e foi adquirido por US$ 6 milhões.Valores são elevados para o futebol brasileiro.

Google Translate:
    Soteldo is offered, but Palmeiras sees ex-Santos 'too expensive' to be a backup today. Forward earns $1.7 million at Toronto FC and was acquired for $6 million
    . Values are high for Brazilian football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post

Via Twitter - Thiago Fernandes
    @thirfernandes:

Soteldo é oferecido, mas Palmeiras vê ex-Santos 'muito caro' para ser reforço hojeAtacante tem salário de US$ 1,7 milhão no Toronto FC e foi adquirido por US$ 6 milhões.Valores são elevados para o futebol brasileiro.

Google Translate:
    Soteldo is offered, but Palmeiras sees ex-Santos 'too expensive' to be a backup today. Forward earns $1.7 million at Toronto FC and was acquired for $6 million

NOT "BACKUP" but reinforcement!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds more like

"Hey, if we buy, would you sell?"

"Maybe"

"How much?"

"This"

"Uh....maybe not"

i.e. not an offer as much as a kicking of the tires

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post

Google Translate:
    Right now this dude won't get anywhere in the world more than 1.2 million per season IMO, except some Arab countries, where of course makes no sense for him to go. After this year at TFC his value should have gone down a bit, though I dunno, I was lazy to check it at transfermarkt.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 11-27-2021 at 07:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t think his value has gone down per say but it continues to be a situation where his value is highest to MLS, Arab, or other similar leagues.

MLS really needs to wipe the visions of Miguel Almiron out of their heads. This league is not a finishing school for mid range talent and it’s a long way away from being one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I don’t think his value has gone down per say but it continues to be a situation where his value is highest to MLS, Arab, or other similar leagues.

MLS really needs to wipe the visions of Miguel Almiron out of their heads. This league is not a finishing school for mid range talent and it’s a long way away from being one.
    Yes. Even Atlanta has moved away from that model. They have lost more on Barco and others than they made on Almiron.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”