Page 34 of 191 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 5705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    Maybe we can rent a couple of gondolas from Venice
    Real talk, if they sign Insigne and aren’t pumping out unreal marketing then they should fire the marketing department

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Re: Akinola

Maybe we're just interpreting this too negatively? I mean, all these guys view moving to Europe (no matter where in Europe) as a step-up from MLS (rightly or wrongly), so maybe Ayo just meant 'hey, congrats, you're the first of us to move to Europe,' but not in a 'Toronto sucks' way.

But I have no idea what Noble meant.
    is it a bad thing for players to want to go to Europe? Even from the club’s standpoint, it opens the gates for more young players to use us as a stepping stone to go to Belgium or Portugal. It’s not about being cheap, but accepting the reality of our league’s place on the world stage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every time I see his name I hear in my mind “Iowa Canola”

Also… “I want to come back. A MB sized gondola for me too please”… can't say I can recall a free agent in any sport being this specific in negotiations in the press before

https://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2...oronto-fc.html
    Last edited by ensco; 12-10-2021 at 09:00 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I struggle to believe anyone can blame our kids for wanting to get out of here. We don’t develop them and we don’t play them. We consistently pass them over for MLS vets and injured or fading DPs. The best thing for all these guys - bar maybe Priso - is to leave this club. If I was their agent I don’t know under what pretenses I’d advise them to stay.
    I'm mostly with you here, with the one exception being that the move will also put you in that exact position. Juan Agudelo to Stoke for example...

It's about leaving for the right opportunity more so than leaving for any opportunity to go to Europe. (not saying you disagree with this btw)

Dunn will almost certainly play regularly for HamKam so seems like a safe move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://besthinditech.com/i-want-to-...to-toronto-fc/

Seba is out of his mind. He's not a DP anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Every time I see his name I hear in my mind “Iowa Canola”

Also… “I want to come back. A MB sized gondola for me too please”… can't say I can recall a free agent in any sport being this specific in negotiations in the press before

https://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2...oronto-fc.html
    I think at this point I'd take him back as long as he 'closes an eye,' as he said.

But yeah, not as a DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giovinco said he would expect to be the best player on the field if he did return to TFC, believing his talent is worthy of a designated player tag.
    That's a no from me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    https://besthinditech.com/i-want-to-...to-toronto-fc/

Seba is out of his mind. He's not a DP anymore.

"Today, Giovinco says the breakdown in talks with the Reds in 2019 was “my mistake.” He fired his previous agent, Andrea D’Amico, in 2019, though he would not elaborate on the circumstances surrounding the dismissal."

​Wow - interesting that he blames himself

I'm so torn on this - I'm a Seba fan for sure. I Would take him on a Bradley type deal.

Last edited by jabbronies; 12-10-2021 at 10:03 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post

"Today, Giovinco says the breakdown in talks with the Reds in 2019 was “my mistake.” He fired his previous agent, Andrea D’Amico, in 2019, though he would not elaborate on the circumstances surrounding the dismissal."

Sort of but not really. He still points the finger at the people he listens to while the article insinuates that it was his former agent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    That's a no from me.
    Agreed. He's not a DP anymore. If we can sign him to a TAM contract, then I am all for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Every player at that level of excellence (and frankly Julian Dunn right now is better then 99% of the people in Canada his age who are playing, so ya, compared to most people, he's an excellent athlete) is an alpha male who thinks if they just (insert verb here) they would be at a big club in Europe.

This is the nature of the players we discuss.

I take anything they say about a lack of success with a grain of salt.
    Yep, definitely a bit of this.

On the other hand, we’d be crazy to say TFC has been good at managing youth development. And maybe these guys are starting to feel more push to move on if the club doesn’t provide clear pathways.

I actually don’t think that means we are doing anything wrong. Even in MLS, I would say youth development + trophies don’t necessarily mix.

As a further observation, Canada is really producing a lob sided amount of players in certain positions (wingers, forwards, fullbacks) and other areas of the field haven’t really caught up. Sort of makes sense when you think about the tactical acumen that’s required in some places and for the most part the coaching not being there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Yep, definitely a bit of this.

On the other hand, we’d be crazy to say TFC has been good at managing youth development. And maybe these guys are starting to feel more push to move on if the club doesn’t provide clear pathways.

I actually don’t think that means we are doing anything wrong. Even in MLS, I would say youth development + trophies don’t necessarily mix.

As a further observation, Canada is really producing a lob sided amount of players in certain positions (wingers, forwards, fullbacks) and other areas of the field haven’t really caught up. Sort of makes sense when you think about the tactical acumen that’s required in some places and for the most part the coaching not being there.
    I agree with this. We want TFC to be good at bringing youth through, and winning cups every year. I don't think the two are very compatible. I mean, Dallas is great at bringing through youth...We might need to accept that good young players will need to play elsewhere to develop, not at TFC. The odd one will, but that'll be the exception.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post

I'm so torn on this - I'm a Seba fan for sure. I Would take him on a Bradley type deal.

I wonder why the interview?
    Maybe Seba sees it as a way to have his fans pressure TFC into doing a deal. However, I think we've moved on.
    Still I agree, a TAM deal would make sense, but I think he feels he's still a top-level DP, which he isn't, just like MB has lost a step.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I wonder why the interview?
    Maybe Seba sees it as a way to have his fans pressure TFC into doing a deal. However, I think we've moved on.
    Still I agree, a TAM deal would make sense, but I think he feels he's still a top-level DP, which he isn't, just like MB has lost a step.
    Total PR move to try to get fan pressure to sway management into a DP move or else a high TAM move. Either way I say no. The fact that he is doing this and what he says in the interview show that he isn't going to be happy with anything less than HIGH DP money because he's the 'best player on the pitch'. Enough with the attitudes already. Strip it down and rebuild with team players who want to win (plus Insigne I guess).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's some crazy PR from Gio. At this point it seems like he needs TFC more than TFC needs him, he is winding down his career and wants to get paid to play football close to his family understandably but there is no way in hell he is worth a DP contract, and it's arguable he's even worth high TAM. Why he doesn't just take the sweetheart deal to be close to his family and play for a team he has good memories of is beyond me, this whole thing got that Mitch Marner contract negotiation vibe around it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will have a hissy fit on here if we bring Giovinco back as a DP. I am confident that BB isn't gonna give in to the nostalgia factor and Gio will either have to settle for a TAM deal or go play in Qatar to collect one last big cheque.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I will have a hissy fit on here if we bring Giovinco back as a DP. I am confident that BB isn't gonna give in to the nostalgia factor and Gio will either have to settle for a TAM deal or go play in Qatar to collect one last big cheque.
    I think for the money he would like to get he is effectively retired. Nobody paying him that much anywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spin, Spin, Spin.

Nothing but PR spin to put pressure on TFC.

As expected Gio still has the ego and super competitive mindset. Sorry but your legs are gone, not a central player, and have lost the goal scoring touch. He would be a super sub at this point.

What is it with athletes lack of self awareness? Simple facts should point out that your just not at the level you think you're at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seba at this point is probably not even worth top TAM money, so he's absolutely flying off the deep end if he thinks he can get DP money. I'd want him back on the De Ro deal or not at all and sounds like it's a not at all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I struggle to believe anyone can blame our kids for wanting to get out of here.
    That's not what people are complaining about.

You air your dirty laundry in private, you don't shit on the club -- and by extension the fans -- that gave you a shot in the first place. It's the NORM for youth not to play for the team they came up with, to have to move.

But celebrating leaving in front of said fans is in poor taste, at best.

As for Seba, he averaged three goals and four assists in each of the last two seasons. I'm aware they won the Asian Champions League and he had a key assist. It doesn't change the fact that at a level below MLS, he had mediocre production.

If they give him a TAM deal, they're idiots. And now that BB is in, I don't think they're blowing that sort of dough on a farewell lap.
    Last edited by jloome; 12-10-2021 at 12:58 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I struggle to believe anyone can blame our kids for wanting to get out of here. We don’t develop them and we don’t play them. We consistently pass them over for MLS vets and injured or fading DPs. The best thing for all these guys - bar maybe Priso - is to leave this club. If I was their agent I don’t know under what pretenses I’d advise them to stay.
    Okello and priso got ample playing time last season.

Even JMR and Nelson were getting minutes in the last 3rd of season.

Dunn is pretty obviously not good enough, same with singh.

Not every youth prospect us going to be good enough, and it's a good move for Dunn to join a lower league where he's more likely to receive playing time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly I think Gio is making himself look really bad here in that piece. If you love the club so much be reasonable and come back on a friendly deal. I'm sure he could still get some sort of sponsorships with the Italian fanbase that is in Toronto.

So if we are getting Insigne then what better player to have on your team to help him acclimatize? I think that's Gio true bargaining chip, he has done it all in MLS and knows that he can be an asset in that regard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DP is not on the table. Seba said as much himself in that story.

The problem with high TAM money is that it means we can’t bring in someone else on high TAM money. But in terms of bums in seats, he’s probably worth it.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with high TAM money is that it means we can’t bring in someone else on high TAM money. But in terms of bums in seats, he’s probably worth it.
    if the insigne signing happens, doubt bums on seats will be an issue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, maybe his point about playing as a midfield playmaker lowering his scoring is valid too.

I'm not averse to him returning for a normal wage. But this is an industry where contract flexibility is considerable because of allowable bonuses.

So offer him a decent non-TAM, non DP wage, then top it up with bonuses for goals scored.

Seems simple enough. If he doesn't produce, he doesn't get paid like a producer.

The problem is, he's probably not willing to "prove" his worth when he's saying things like:

“It’s not nice to be the best player on the field and not be designated player but I close one eye for TFC,” he said. “But just for TFC.”

Give the guy the cap max hit, then stick a $50,000 goal bonus on top of it and make it an annual option. If he scores ten, he makes the equivalent to a decent TAM salary just shy of a million. For a 34-year-old in this league (and most, really) that's pretty good. If he's burying goals left right and centre, he takes home a much bigger cheque.

But maybe MLS doesn't allow that with the way its contracts are structured.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Low TAM deal and then after retiring, he is well paid as TFC employee/ambassador for X number of years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob Bradley reading that has probably already said to himself ''I dont want anything to do with this guy''...he wont take bad attitude from anyone and will easily bench older players when he feels its right...he benched wright-phillips when he was one of the best of the team and vela in a must win game...probably realised he was wrong in both cases but he wouldnt be able to tolerate this attitude and kind of thinking from giovinco...any player that comes in would have to accept any role and playing time given and doesnt seem to be the case with him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Never seen much in Nelson. Hopefully we can get a nice offer and use some of that sweet, sweet GAM on defenders.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Never seen much in Nelson. Hopefully we can get a nice offer and use some of that sweet, sweet GAM on defenders.
    He Canadian Men's Youth International Player of the Year, had some real upside. See a good future with the Reds. Not sure if its a trial or a training opportunity.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!