Page 189 of 191 FirstFirst ... 89139179185186187188189190191 LastLast
Results 5,641 to 5,670 of 5705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    One factor for JMR - getting a work permit in the UK isn’t automatic.
    I cant remember how the percentages work for # of minutes to get the UK permit, but getting called into the CMNT program for the Gold Cup this summer might help? If he's playing well in that position, we can surely use the help and give some of the WCQ starters a break?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    I cant remember how the percentages work for # of minutes to get the UK permit, but getting called into the CMNT program for the Gold Cup this summer might help? If he's playing well in that position, we can surely use the help and give some of the WCQ starters a break?
    https://worldfootballindex.com/2020/...-libertadores/
    He would need to play 70%+ of Canada's minutes to auto qualify. Would be tough for him to get a work permit at this stage, so would probably be loaned out at some point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Let’s say in theory our target for a new striker this summer is either Belotti or Destro.

No doubt both are great players. As a matter of discussion, do we think for the money we’d pay these are the best options?

I think they may well be when you consider fit with the team but it’s worth the debate.
    It is a good debate. I think you’re framing it as an either/or, not both.They really are very different options with different knock-on ramifications.

Belotti is the superior, younger, and significantly more expensive player. He’s out of contract in June, but he clearly has options and there is demand for his services. Obviously he would come at a significant price. But, for supporters, all that matters really is that he would be a DP. Whether he’s paid $1 above the DP threshold or $10 million above the DP threshold, makes no difference to us. If MLSE is willing to write the cheque, then he takes up a DP slot, and his cap budget charge is $612,500 (unless bought down with further with GAM). As a talent, I think we can all agree he would be a coup. He’s a core member of the National Team and in his prime. He would be a notch above Ruidiaz and Castellanos (as in, the best striker in MLS). Bring it on. Now, is there another 28 year old striker playing in a top league and turning out for a top national team, who wants a new challenge, is available, and would like to come to Toronto and MLS? I have no idea. But the jungle drums seem pretty efficient in this industry so I’ll guess no. All that to say, if MLSE is willing to write the cheque, it’s awfully hard to imagine a better outcome.

Destro is a whole other matter. Fine player to be sure. But nothing close to the pedigree of Belotti. He had a brief look-in with the Azzurri way back, but hasn't had a sniff since 2014. Destro is basically looking for work. His contract ends in June. His team is getting relegated. They won’t be making him an offer. He’s well known in Serie A. If he already had something lined up for next year then the rumours would be silent on him. According to Salary Sport, his current salary is already below the MLS DP threshold. So he can be had on a TAM deal. His agent is D’Amico, so maybe there is even a slight discount to be had. He’s a good player and would probably do well.

So maybe the debate could get reframed to ask, would you rather have (1) Belotti + a TBD TAM player, or (2) Destro + a TBD DP player, or (3) something else all together?

Personally, I think Belotti + another TAM player would be something akin to nirvana for this team. But, I could be persuaded otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    https://worldfootballindex.com/2020/...-libertadores/
    He would need to play 70%+ of Canada's minutes to auto qualify. Would be tough for him to get a work permit at this stage, so would probably be loaned out at some point.
    I think Liverpool could easily lobby for an exception as an exceptional talent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    I think Liverpool could easily lobby for an exception as an exceptional talent.
    Yeah, I think regardless of what is said on paper, the practicality of a work permit will be “we missed out on Davies because of this stupid rule, don’t you dare stand in our way now”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let’s say in theory our target for a new striker this summer is either Belotti or Destro.

No doubt both are great players. As a matter of discussion, do we think for the money we’d pay these are the best options?

I think they may well be when you consider fit with the team but it’s worth the debate.
    If we're looking just at free agents this year, Belotti is clearly top 5. Transfermarkt has him as the 4th highest valued free agent forward. Sometimes you just take the best player available and figure it out later.
    That said, maybe a top right winger would be ideal. We can then run Jimenez/Ayo down the middle, and let wingers put it on a platter for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogon View Post
    It is a good debate. I think you’re framing it as an either/or, not both.They really are very different options with different knock-on ramifications.

Belotti is the superior, younger, and significantly more expensive player. He’s out of contract in June, but he clearly has options and there is demand for his services. Obviously he would come at a significant price. But, for supporters, all that matters really is that he would be a DP. Whether he’s paid $1 above the DP threshold or $10 million above the DP threshold, makes no difference to us. If MLSE is willing to write the cheque, then he takes up a DP slot, and his cap budget charge is $612,500 (unless bought down with further with GAM). As a talent, I think we can all agree he would be a coup. He’s a core member of the National Team and in his prime. He would be a notch above Ruidiaz and Castellanos (as in, the best striker in MLS). Bring it on. Now, is there another 28 year old striker playing in a top league and turning out for a top national team, who wants a new challenge, is available, and would like to come to Toronto and MLS? I have no idea. But the jungle drums seem pretty efficient in this industry so I’ll guess no. All that to say, if MLSE is willing to write the cheque, it’s awfully hard to imagine a better outcome.

Destro is a whole other matter. Fine player to be sure. But nothing close to the pedigree of Belotti. He had a brief look-in with the Azzurri way back, but hasn't had a sniff since 2014. Destro is basically looking for work. His contract ends in June. His team is getting relegated. They won’t be making him an offer. He’s well known in Serie A. If he already had something lined up for next year then the rumours would be silent on him. According to Salary Sport, his current salary is already below the MLS DP threshold. So he can be had on a TAM deal. His agent is D’Amico, so maybe there is even a slight discount to be had. He’s a good player and would probably do well.

So maybe the debate could get reframed to ask, would you rather have (1) Belotti + a TBD TAM player, or (2) Destro + a TBD DP player, or (3) something else all together?

Personally, I think Belotti + another TAM player would be something akin to nirvana for this team. But, I could be persuaded otherwise.
    Nice everyone, well framed Gogon.

Well, Destro is Moneyball, so it's Destro + TBD DP player for me, so Destro & Jimenez as platooning strikers and of course K. Mbappe at right wing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insigne will be going from scoring penalties versus FC Barcelona to FC Cincinnati in 2022 - if he's so lucky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So there's another option for DP striker/winger come July...
    Last edited by noxx98; 02-24-2022 at 05:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Insigne will be going from scoring penalties versus FC Barcelona to FC Cincinnati in 2022 - if he's so lucky.
    Ha! Hopefully the game against FC Cincinnati will go better than this one with Barca.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So there's another option for DP striker/winger come July...
    His wife is Spanish. She wants to go back to Europe apparently.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Ha! Hopefully the game against FC Cincinnati will go better than this one with Barca.

Well he ain't coming here until after we have already played Cinci twice so....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting stats analysis, including a salary chart (that seems off)

Seems to have been an article written 10 days ago but neat to see.

https://www.americansocceranalysis.c...axy-toronto-fc

Of note

The press is even more on this year then last year

Vanney can't coach defence

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Then 6 points it is!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting stats analysis, including a salary chart (that seems off)

Seems to have been an article written 10 days ago but neat to see.

https://www.americansocceranalysis.c...axy-toronto-fc

Of note

The press is even more on this year then last year

Vanney can't coach defence
    Great find and highlight. Agree about the press; especially Kieran Doyle-Davis's caveat of unless or until it doesn't work.
    Enjoy his and others 'in the weeds' articles at American Soccer Analysis.
    Another of his write-ups on TFC- 'Bob Bradley: Possession, Pressing, and Personnel' is also interesting; includes Westberg still > Bono!
    https://www.americansocceranalysis.c...-and-personnel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Great find and highlight. Agree about the press; especially Kieran Doyle-Davis's caveat of unless or until it doesn't work.
    Enjoy his and others 'in the weeds' articles at American Soccer Analysis.
    Another of his write-ups on TFC- 'Bob Bradley: Possession, Pressing, and Personnel' is also interesting; includes Westberg still > Bono!
    https://www.americansocceranalysis.c...-and-personnel
    Not sure about this one. Written before TFC ousted more than half our players, and how is it that a poor LAFC season becomes decidedly good through the highly abstract lens of “advanced metrics” (if that’s what they are)? Writing about actual football as if it were fantasy football produces, for me, a level of abstraction that is difficult to sympathize with. I’ve more often than not, liked watching LAFC but they were not really good last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I meant in the playoffs, obviously. (I knew someone would call that out if they didn't face each other in the back half.) Let's go with Charlotte then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Not sure about this one. Written before TFC ousted more than half our players, and how is it that a poor LAFC season becomes decidedly good through the highly abstract lens of “advanced metrics” (if that’s what they are)? Writing about actual football as if it were fantasy football produces, for me, a level of abstraction that is difficult to sympathize with. I’ve more often than not, liked watching LAFC but they were not really good last year.
    Yes! 'In the weeds' can = 'advanced metrics', which can = 'abstraction' and then does = the Zzzzzz.
    Still, a totality of perspectives allows for a best informed understanding and decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano

Italian left back Domenico Criscito will sign his contract as new Toronto FC player in the next few days. He’s gonna fly to Canada in March - while Insigne will join in July. 🇨🇦🤝 #MLS

Genoa decided to change their project and that’s why Criscito is now leaving the club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This guy has been pretty spot on this offseason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe he comes on here for his info ��

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

destro will not be a DP, at least not this season.

this is going to be some team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favourite part of all this was the tweets that our various Italian signings were interested in moving to Toronto in part to pursue real estate investments.

Even our football club hinges on the housing market.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    You nailed both of those guys, man. Thank you for helping us transfer fiends out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favourite part of all this was the tweets that our various Italian signings were interested in moving to Toronto in part to pursue real estate investments.

Even our football club hinges on the housing market.
    Good thing MLSE is also real estate company. Offer some nice deals and housing to attract players.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any more inside info to impart? ����

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2020 1st round Draft pick Nyal Higgins who played with TFCII last year (before getting loaned to Ottawa in CPL) signs with Edmonton
    Last edited by rydermike; 02-25-2022 at 04:46 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4-2-2-2???

Jimenez is starting calibre, I can't imagine he came to Canada to ride the bench for Destro...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    You nailed both of those guys, man. Thank you for helping us transfer fiends out.
    Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    Any more inside info to impart? ����
    TheGoodson, AKA Carnac The Magnificent!

If we ever should meet... it's Boxes of Cubans and Cases of Aces for you!
    Well... a beer... domestic... on tap , maybe a pitcher if the convo goes good!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    4-2-2-2???

Jimenez is starting calibre, I can't imagine he came to Canada to ride the bench for Destro...
    Agree that Jimenez should be starting calibre.
    IMO, Jimenez is likely striker alternate / depth.
    Has played and suspect will play RW when Insigne and Destro arrive in a BBradley 4-3-3.
    With the Mid 3 in Single or Double Pivot Form; depending.