Page 42 of 191 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 5705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    TFC is close to getting Ayo re-signed per Buffery on Twitter.
    This is excellent news! Ayo has a big future ahead of him and I hope he takes the next step this year. Maybe playing along side Insigne (God willing) and a healthy Poz will bring out the best in him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    We needed a playmaker and a goal scorer.
    We had Poz and we had Jozy

Jozy was a bust. That was the fuck up.
    The Fuck up wasn't "not replacing Specific player A to the exactly the same thing"

We changed the way we played. We didn't need to replace both Seba and Victor to do exactly the same things they did because we weren't going to play that same system. We adapted how we played and we went to a final and then 2nd overall in the league by adapting.

Jozy was the fuck up.
    I think Poz is excellent and am happy we have him, although am worried about his mentality at the moment given personal life.

But please don’t misstate my point. We lost VV and Seba, a playmaker and a scorer, in about two weeks. Maybe three. We then got Poz. He is a replacement to VV (and an upgrade perhaps) but we have never brought in another scorer to replace Seba. Maybe we changed the way we played, but we had two DP caliber players on VV and Seba and replaced them with one, Poz. It left us with one scorer, Jozy. That’s self evident and twisting things cannot change that fact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Your comparisons aren't taking into account the change in shape that Vanney wanted prior to 2019. He openly wanted to switch to 4-3-3 so the replacements can't be like for like because it wasn't a 2 FW set up. With his set up that responsibility and more of the ball thus opportunities were to go to Jozy and our signings were to be complimentary wide players. So it went:

VV (M), Jozy (CF), Giovinco (FW)

to

Poz (M), Jozy (CF), Benezet then Piatti (WF) <---we should have gotten another wide FW on the other side both years though

Were those last two perfect like for like to Giovinco? No but they were wide players. If 2019 was different and we re-signed Giovinco either Vanney would have had to dump his 4-3-3 idea or else shoehorn Giovinco out there he would have not produced like he (and we) were used to and then would have pouted and whined until he was out the door. Or at least until Jozy got hurt and then he would have been CF.

I think a lot of people lose sight of the fact that Vanney wanted to change our shape and style in 2019 and thusly it affected roster decisions. Curtis gets all the blame and for sure he is an idiot but he went and got pieces that fit into what Vanney wanted and Benezet & Piatti were Vanney hook ups. I think if Vanney wanted to keep the status quo and wanted Giovinco he would have been re-signed. As it went, we didn't need two outright goalscorers as we only had one spot up top avialable (in theory barring the inevitable injuries).
    Sure. But please don’t misstate my point, intentionally or not. I did not say we had to replace Seba with Seba. We did have to replace him with a scorer, from the wing in the 4-3-3 or the midfield or even the goal keeper. We never did and we still haven’t. We went from two scorers to one. In that sense, Seba has never been replaced.

And please, Poz plus Benezet is not even close. Let’s not be ridiculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    I would agree with this, except Gio, or his advisors let greed take hold, he is to blame as well (he has said as much). I just don't get the Jozy haters, he played through real injuries in 17. I wouldn't listen to that clown Armas either and I don't begrudge him his contract, Manning gave it to him. The guy bleeds Red and is a legend, he may be broken down but play him to what he can do or buy him out but slagging him makes no sense.
    Totally agree

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Your comparisons aren't taking into account the change in shape that Vanney wanted prior to 2019. He openly wanted to switch to 4-3-3 so the replacements can't be like for like because it wasn't a 2 FW set up. With his set up that responsibility and more of the ball thus opportunities were to go to Jozy and our signings were to be complimentary wide players. So it went:

VV (M), Jozy (CF), Giovinco (FW)

to

Poz (M), Jozy (CF), Benezet then Piatti (WF) <---we should have gotten another wide FW on the other side both years though

Were those last two perfect like for like to Giovinco? No but they were wide players. If 2019 was different and we re-signed Giovinco either Vanney would have had to dump his 4-3-3 idea or else shoehorn Giovinco out there he would have not produced like he (and we) were used to and then would have pouted and whined until he was out the door. Or at least until Jozy got hurt and then he would have been CF.

I think a lot of people lose sight of the fact that Vanney wanted to change our shape and style in 2019 and thusly it affected roster decisions. Curtis gets all the blame and for sure he is an idiot but he went and got pieces that fit into what Vanney wanted and Benezet & Piatti were Vanney hook ups. I think if Vanney wanted to keep the status quo and wanted Giovinco he would have been re-signed. As it went, we didn't need two outright goalscorers as we only had one spot up top avialable (in theory barring the inevitable injuries).
    I half agree with this, I believe Vanney was looking to get more wide players to create the opportunity to play 4-3-3, not exclusively play 4-3-3. He knew that with Gio and Jozy, we had to play 4-4-2 but if/when one of them was unavailable, we didn't have the wide players to go 4-3-3 or a true back up to link up with either at the top of the 4-4-2.

If anything Vanney was about optionality in his formation choices vs. being dead set on playing one or the other. It is/was his strength as a coach to be able to field a different formation one week to the next with the same players and they knew how to play in it. It was clear that shortly after Curtis showed up, the signings were not happening with open communication to Vanney like they were with Bez.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've had 2 decent speed wingers/ FB's in the last 5 years - Shaff & Laryea.

I would be very surprised if there is not at least one right sided speed demon brought in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    We've had 2 decent speed wingers/ FB's in the last 5 years - Shaff & Laryea.

I would be very surprised if there is not at least one right sided speed demon brought in.
    My bet is they showcase Rutty for four months and then look for the summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Milan Borjan has asked Red Star to terminate his contract:
    https://www.mozzartsport.com/fudbal/...zvezdom/407336

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we don't end out signing Insigne and he stays in a bigger league, this'll still probably be excellent mutual business by the front office and his agent; we get every free agent and possible trade signing weighing the possibility of playing with Insigne, his agent get to keep quoting ridiculous salary offers we couldn't possibly have made yet, as his contract doesn't hit the six month window until January.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe was unable to have a contract offer until January.

They took pictures in December

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Defoe was unable to have a contract offer until January.

They took pictures in December
    I’ll never understand people not getting that the transfer windows are only the times when a player can officially register for a new club. Discussions are constant. Agreements are made all year round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I’ll never understand people not getting that the transfer windows are only the times when a player can officially register for a new club. Discussions are constant. Agreements are made all year round.
    Under FIFA regulations, they can’t offer terms until there is six months remaining in a deal. And they have a history of enforcing it with fines. His contract doesn’t end until June, so he can’t have signed an agreement prior to January.

I’m sure both sides have talked enough to know what’s going to happen, barring anyone else coming in with a better offer. But anyone who thinks a deal is in the bag doesn’t have much future as an agent.

If you represented him, would you ignore both FIFA regs and a chance to entertain better offers from bigger clubs?
    Last edited by jloome; 12-18-2021 at 10:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Under FIFA regulations, they can’t offer terms until there is six months remaining in a deal. And they have a history of enforcing it with fines. His contract doesn’t end until June, so he can’t have signed an agreement prior to January.

I’m sure both sides have talked enough to know what’s going to happen, barring anyone else coming in with a better offer. But anyone who thinks a deal is in the bag doesn’t have much future as an agent.

If you represented him, would you ignore both FIFA regs and a chance to entertain better offers from bigger clubs?
    What actually happens and what I would do are very different things haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An interesting rumor cropping up in Brazil is that we have been negotiating with Sao Paulo a swap deal that would send Soteldo to them and we would get Rodrigo Nestor back in return. Looks to be a defensive midfielder. 21 years old.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/rodrigo...spieler/468304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An interesting rumor cropping up in Brazil is that we have been negotiating with Sao Paulo a swap deal that would send Soteldo to them and we would get Rodrigo Nestor back in return. Looks to be a defensive midfielder. 21 years old.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/rodrigo...spieler/468304
    On the face of it a very solid acquisition, but given his age, supposed value and the fact that he played 55 games in his FIRST year with the first team, he's almost certainly a DP quality player.

So we have to ask ourselves if it's likely an MLS club spends a DP salary on a pivot, on a team that already has four players who can fill that spot.

If he's coming on TAM salary because his relative age and inexperience (and the lower Brazil salaries) allow it, I could definitely see it. But he's probably more highly regarded than that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the face of it a very solid acquisition, but given his age, supposed value and the fact that he played 55 games in his FIRST year with the first team, he's almost certainly a DP quality player.

So we have to ask ourselves if it's likely an MLS club spends a DP salary on a pivot, on a team that already has four players who can fill that spot.

If he's coming on TAM salary because his relative age and inexperience (and the lower Brazil salaries) allow it, I could definitely see it. But he's probably more highly regarded than that.
    I suspect he could fit using the U22 rule, no?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This depends on what BB thinks/wants and possible movement. Michael's days as an every match player are done, Osorio might move on and Delgado as well. If these things happen then it makes sense to use a young DP spot on a pivot like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    I suspect he could fit using the U22 rule, no?
    Sound like it.

https://broadwaysportsmedia.com/mls-...22-initiative/

These slots will be part of the club’s senior roster (slots 1-20). Teams can have up to three U22 Initiative players, but this depends on the number of Designated Players they have.

• If a club has an open DP slot, the club will have three available U22 spots
    • If a club signs a third DP, their U22 slots will be impacted as follows:
    • If the third DP is a Young DP (23 and under), the club will have all three U22 slots
    • If the third DP is 24 or older, but is at or below the maximum TAM amount ($1,612,500), the club will have all three U22 slots
    • If the third DP is 24 or older, and is above the maximum TAM amount, that club will only have on U22 slot

If a club sells a U22 player, they’re able to keep 100% of the transfer fee and convert a percentage of that fee to GAM.
    Last edited by RealG-TFC; 12-19-2021 at 01:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Every year, this league's rules seem more arcane and more like a home-designed strategy game of some sort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every year, this league's rules seem more arcane and more like a home-designed strategy game of some sort.
    *TFC rolls a natural 20*

All DP costs have been eliminated, no roster restrictions, and all teams are forces to pay their DP budget to TFC for the season.

Lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rodrigo Nestor looks like a very good passer with HUGE upside. Hope this happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQvgXXR5I8w

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nobody’s checked Jozy’s liked tweets for a while eh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair, although depending on his quality… maybe we don’t have similar options. I think about Joao Paolo on Seattle, he’s like a more-modern 2017 Bradley. Does all the defensive stuff but can also play like splitting passes from deep. That’s very much worth it if that’s what we get.

Although, in my estimation, Ralph Priso has been pretty f’n good and I’d be sort of pissed if we blocked our own player with a more expensive import.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 12-19-2021 at 05:58 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this is true, I bet Nestor would be a loan to us, or a lot of money is going back the other way. Soteldo doesn’t have sell on value, but this kid still might.

I don’t see it happening at all really. Only Almiron pulled this off, no one else has executed the South America to MLS to Europe move profitably. I don't see a major Brazilian team moving a player like this for the equivalent of a couple of million bucks.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-19-2021 at 06:08 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Nobody’s checked Jozy’s liked tweets for a while eh
    These boards are well monitored the tweet is already unliked. Jozy liked the tweet linked below commenting that he would be accepted at Corinthians following leaving TFC. Already have screenshots, so not sure what good unliking the tweet does lol.

https://twitter.com/samusccp/status/...917153283?s=21

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yefe has a higher value than nestor at the moment.i think it would be a trade of some sort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Sao Paulo would rather send a player as opposed to paying a fee to Toronto. A lot of Brazilian teams are in a ton of financial trouble right now. God knows if it is legit or not, but Nestor definitely would be a great use of that u-22 slot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, based on a poll among Sao Paulo fans it looks like the majority are on board with sending Nestor for Soteldo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Sao Paulo would rather send a player as opposed to paying a fee to Toronto. A lot of Brazilian teams are in a ton of financial trouble right now. God knows if it is legit or not, but Nestor definitely would be a great use of that u-22 slot.
    Maybe this is our “way out” of sorts. Similar to plugging Jozy for Defoe. The appearance of a trade hides the reality of the transaction.

In this case, nobody in South America is going to pay Solteldo what we pay him. But we throw in a player coming back and pay some sort of fee … it gets less obvious we are paying down his salary or something of the sort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soteldo is routinely referred to as “one of the most important players in South America” in the Brazilian press.

I guess he had a great goal that knocked Boca out of the Copa America that cemented his legend there.