Page 137 of 191 FirstFirst ... 3787127133134135136137138139140141147187 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,110 of 5705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The club is likely going to have three U-22 slots this year and a TAM level DP (Salcedo). Saying this because Akinola is U-22 and they had a deal for that U-22 South African winger fall through this week as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An absolutely unreal use of the U-22 slot would be if they ponied up for Alexandro Bernabei at Lanus to replace Kemar Lawrence. It’ll never happen because they would never drop a multi-million dollar transfer fee on a left back, but damn would I love to see Bernabei and Insigne on the same wing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post

Newest TFC video.

Kobe Franklin is visible at the 9 second mark, so his signing should be announced any day now. Anyone catch any other players/potential trialists?

If I am not mistaken, 'I Believe' that's Roy Kent at the 22nd to 26th second marks.
    He's here! He's there! He's every-fcuking-where!

ensco
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-21-2022 at 07:38 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    If I am not mistaken, 'I Believe' that's Roy Kent at the 22nd to 26th second marks.
    He's here! He's there! He's every-fcuking-where!

ensco
    Yes excellent. I am calling him Roy Kent from now on.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How’s that Salcedo/Soteldo deal coming along? Seems quiet in the metaverse all of a sudden..
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Interesting point. I wonder who else fits in that category. Zavaleta was definitely one. Bono would have to be one as well.
    There was a crew of them who couldn't let that championship go:

Chapman; Bono; Hagglund; Hamilton; Zavaleta

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    The club is likely going to have three U-22 slots this year and a TAM level DP (Salcedo). Saying this because Akinola is U-22 and they had a deal for that U-22 South African winger fall through this week as well.
    in this video https://www.torontofc.ca/news/touchl...lub-connection
    Bob says the LAFC management had talks about losing the balance between youth and experience aroung the 21 minute mark. It doen't sound to me like he'sa guy who's likely to go with a whole lot of U22 inititiative players.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djking2 View Post
    in this video https://www.torontofc.ca/news/touchl...lub-connection
    Bob says the LAFC management had talks about losing the balance between youth and experience aroung the 21 minute mark. It doen't sound to me like he'sa guy who's likely to go with a whole lot of U22 inititiative players.
    Sometimes when teams rebuild with a lot of youth the games get quite exciting. I mean, there is value in experienced veteran players, but the energy and excitement of youth playing translates to the game and to the crowd. It won't give you a championship either usually right away as I think you do need that balance with the experience, but the road to get there can be fun if your core of young players stick together year and year and grow. Have seen several European teams do that approach when needing a new direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salcedo will not play in Tigres next game. Looks like things are moving along.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting there’s no mention of a Homegrown contract, unlike Petrasso earlier. Must not have spent enough time in the academy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    There was a crew of them who couldn't let that championship go:

Chapman; Bono; Hagglund; Hamilton; Zavaleta
    It won't be a popular opinion but I had Osorio in that mix too.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Interesting there’s no mention of a Homegrown contract, unlike Petrasso earlier. Must not have spent enough time in the academy.
    If he was not home grown he would have had to go through the draft and having been a underclassman signed to a Generation Adidas deal.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS Press Release says he is a homegrown signing
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/toron...e%20University.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No idea if he is good or not, but it is a warm body.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Yes excellent. I am calling him Roy Kent from now on.
    Sat next to him on a plane 25 years ago. He was a quite genial young man. Had just signed his first professional contract, to which I tactlessly commented "we have professional football in Canada?"

He had a momentarily hurt/irritated expression. We did not speak further.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Signing Deandre Kerr as a depth forward is exactly the sort of the signing that should happen when considering a young cheap Canadian depth player vs an overpaid terrible American journeyman like Dom Dwyer and Patrick Mullins.

In the same vain that most of us are probably going to be fine with Lukas McNaughton taking the place of Eriq Zavaleta.

Where all things are pretty much equal, take the Canadian.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Sat next to him on a plane 25 years ago. He was a quite genial young man. Had just signed his first professional contract, to which I tactlessly commented "we have professional football in Canada?"

He had a momentarily hurt/irritated expression. We did not speak further.
    I would have said the same. I lived in NY when MLS started. I could have cared less. I don't even remember them signing Donadoni, I only know that now. I did care about the Blizzard, when I was younger, but when that died I thought it was over. At the beginning MLS seemed totally utterly fake to me, every team playing on plastic pitches with NFL markings. Seemed like the worse of NASL, without the good players. (We had had Bettiga and Lorimer, and they were still big names, even if they weren't in the top 10 names in NASL at the time. I wasn’t buying whatever early MLS were selling.)

I got into Canada MNT games when I got back in the late 90s (probably first saw Stalts then) but only watched Europe until 2007. I vividly remember watching Stalts at Bremen - Telelatino! had Bundesliga sometimes -and just being gobsmacked that a guy from here could have made it all the way there.

The first months of this board in late 2006 were really about 25 or 50 people who knew England, Italy, UEFA CL, all trying to figure out what the heck MLS was. None of us rated domestics, nobody understood anything, so when we brought in all kinds of hopeless Canadians (Miggie Canizalez, Adam Braz, I could go on….) we all thought, of course, they must also be MLS players too…

It was an annual thing to have a thread on signing Stalts but looking back, he would have seen through Mo, Preki etc from a mile away, and so he aged out in Germany…. In some childlike way I am super thrilled he is involved here at TFC, at long last. He was Dichio before Dichio (but a heck of a lot bigger name! In his club career) for CMNT fans around 2000-2008…
    Last edited by ensco; 01-21-2022 at 12:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I'm going to assume once the Soteldo and Salcedo swap goes through Jozy is bought out shortly after.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So I'm going to assume once the Soteldo and Salcedo swap goes through Jozy is bought out shortly after.
    The thing is, he has no reason to negotiate. They have to be compliant before the first game, which means if they haven't reached a deal by Feb. 25, he's getting the whole contract if they want to buy him out.

As long as one side has a hard deadline, the other side doesn't have to do squat.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    Signing Deandre Kerr as a depth forward is exactly the sort of the signing that should happen when considering a young cheap Canadian depth player vs an overpaid terrible American journeyman like Dom Dwyer and Patrick Mullins.

In the same vain that most of us are probably going to be fine with Lukas McNaughton taking the place of Eriq Zavaleta.

Where all things are pretty much equal, take the Canadian.
    Pretty pleased to see that actually. With American coaches and GMs we've tended to pick mostly Americans. Hopefully this is a sign that under Bradley we're going to have an improvement in this area.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We signed Greg.... I'll learn to spell his last name later. He's a keeper.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has Bono shown up for camp yet?

If not maybe there's something to the Portland rumor. Hope so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Has Bono shown up for camp yet?

If not maybe there's something to the Portland rumor. Hope so.
    He was there in the pictures yesterday with that ridiculously strong hairline of his.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    MLS Press Release says he is a homegrown signing
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/toron...e%20University.
    That makes total sense being a home grown because the only other way for him to have played in MLS in 2022 was to sign a GA deal and enter the draft.

For instance Jay Chapman was a home grown player and after his senior year at Michigan State he had the choice of signing with Toronto or entering the draft. I do not know the rules of maintaining a players home grown status one they have gone to college ? I wonder if Omar had a choice and chose the draft , did the Reds express interest.

The last TFC academy player I believe to play a season of college and leave early to sign a home grown deal was Matt Stinson who went to Winthrop.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    We signed Greg.... I'll learn to spell his last name later. He's a keeper.
    Interesting, I have a feeling they will want Luka Gavran who they drafted in the second round this year to play everyday with TFC II rather than be the third for the first team. It has been suggested Luka with his 6’6 frame was a steal in the second round. It’s not like he can not train with the first team if needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess this confirms that Borjan is not going to be a TFC signing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Interesting, I have a feeling they will want Luka Gavran who they drafted in the second round this year to play everyday with TFC II rather than be the third for the first team. It has been suggested Luka with his 6’6 frame was a steal in the second round. It’s not like he can not train with the first team if needed.
    Ranjitsingh is pretty well regarded in the league. He was the pool goalie they used for that Philly playoff game where most of the first team was out.

Interesting signing. Maybe designed to push Westberg and Bono to compete more for their positions, or just acknowledgement Q is 35 and can't last much longer, while Bono is shakesville, let's face it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chris Mavinga is still in Toronto but was at the TFC training ground. Maybe he picked up a small injury and needed to stay behind or he's dealing something personal.