Page 85 of 191 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135185 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,550 of 5705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He's allegedly two-footed; can play with both. Does seem much stronger on the left to me, though, although maybe that's just because we haven't seen him on the right.

Good defender most of the time for a forward, gets caught too tight sometimes.

He's a wingback or a winger, really. Bradley likes modern formations so I have a sneaking suspicion we'll see him as a wingback backup and a wing backup.

Belotti seems unlikely unless we again double what he'd get in England. He has had suitors for several seasons. Numerous premiership teams inquiring, including new-money Newcastle.

Then again, that seemed true of Insigne at one point.

It would be a dream lineup, but something like

----------------Borjan------------------
    ----Salcedo--Mavinga--Criscito----
    Auro-----------------------------Lawrence
    ---------Delgado-----Osorio----
    ---Pozuelo---------------Insigne------
    --------------Belotti-----------------

That lineup would some serious damage in MLS.

It'll probably end up more like
    ------------Westburg--------------
    Auro--Mavinga--Criscito--Lawrence
    ----Delgado--Bradley--Osorio--
    -------Pozuelo-----Insigne---------
    ----Akinola/New Striker/Peruzza
    Maitre'D... Sir... first course only, please!... you can substitute the Destro for the Belotti if you must.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The middle defender in a back-three requires much more composure (think Moor) than Mavinga has. I think he and Criscito would split duties in a back-four.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe this is nothing but aren’t Mavinga and Criscito both left footed? Feels like there should be a natural right footed CB in that pairing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Maybe this is nothing but aren’t Mavinga and Criscito both left footed? Feels like there should be a natural right footed CB in that pairing.
    They are. Ideally, you have Salcedo and O'Neill competing for RCB and Mavinga and Criscito competing on the left. (Criscito wins.) Solid depth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Makes me think that rumour is real. Or, at the very least, we’ll be bringing in a startling quality right side CB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our new boy Lorenzo Insigne starts and captains Napoli against Juventus right now. Free trial available for FuboTV for anyone who wants to watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC gets a mention in this Serie A matchup a minute in. Maybe we are a "big club".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    They are. Ideally, you have Salcedo and O'Neill competing for RCB and Mavinga and Criscito competing on the left. (Criscito wins.) Solid depth.
    Or, maybe in the 4231, even...

-------------Borjan---------------
    O'Neill--Salcedo--Criscito--Mavinga
    -----Delgado----------Osorio-----
    Destro-------Pozuelo-------Insigne
    --------Akinola/Perruzza----------
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-06-2022 at 03:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    TFC gets a mention in this Serie A matchup a minute in. Maybe we are a "big club".
    Quite a few references to Insigne leaving Napoli have been made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insigne with a little flick into the box leads to a Dries Mertens (who has been linked to Montreal in the past) goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Or, maybe in the 4231, even...

-------------Borjan---------------
    O'Neill--Salcedo--Criscito--Mavinga
    -----Delgado----------Osorio-----
    Destro-------Pozuelo-------Insigne
    --------Akinola/Perruzza----------
    Destro is a classic center-forward. If anything, Akinola would go out wide, but he hasn't shown much in that position IMO. Given how poor Mavinga was at center-back last season, I guess a move to left-back isn't out of the question, but I'd rather TFC just try to preserve his glass legs by keeping him as a backup CB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insigne looks so good vs Juve. We got a special one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depending on what TFC has planned for their DP spots, this could be a guy to pair with Ayo at the striker position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The NASL was the best thing that it could be for that time, and many of its investors put in serious money for acquiring players. It wasn't like the Harlem Globetrotters for basketball, despite the crazy gimmicks and things they did to raise interest in a "foreign" game. The Metros-Croatia (later known as the Blizzard), who Eusebio played for, was one of the model franchises and was a professionally managed club. The NASL doesn't compare to the professionalism that MLS has today, but MLS wouldn't exist if it weren't for the NASL. If you check, apart from ethnic youth teams, most youth soccer clubs in the GTA and in the US date from the heyday of the NASL in the 1970's or later. It literally gave birth to the youth soccer movement that provided many of the players that make up the bulk of MLS teams. It also gave a lot of lessons on how not to do things, but hindsight is 20/20.
    I agree with all that you're saying, and you say yourself that the MLS is on a completely different level now. That's all I meant. It's not to slight the past, it's simply to put into perspective the magnitude of the Insigne signing in 2022. But yes, we're enjoying our football today because of the scene that came before it and that deserves respect of course -- even if it was a little cartoonish and the overall look of the football and league was strange especially from a European standpoint (where I grew up).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s interesting how far back Insigne drops, he is regularly in a MF winger position. Does anyone who watches Serie A know how typical that is for him?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I agree with all that you're saying, and you say yourself that the MLS is on a completely different level now. That's all I meant. It's not to slight the past, it's simply to put into perspective the magnitude of the Insigne signing in 2022. But yes, we're enjoying our football today because of the scene that came before it and that deserves respect of course -- even if it was a little cartoonish and the overall look of the football and league was strange especially from a European standpoint (where I grew up).
    You don’t have to go back to the NASL days to see the transition of the game in North America. The MLS has improved dramatically since it was kickstarted with the ‘94 World Cup.

Even since the awarding of Toronto FC, the mls has changed… who would have thought franchises would be competing to sign starters from big European clubs and regularly selling players to those aforementioned clubs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    I think he can handle it well. I remember the game where Perez pulled Bradley and Jozy at half time. Bradley was right back on the bench, really into the game and encouraging his teammates.
    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Let’s hope so but to be fair that was a one game occurrence. With Priso’s subsequent injury and other fixture congestion that never really stuck as a trend.

It really needs to change now. He can’t be the first choice starter.
    I think he knows he is no longer the player he was; TFC's main man.
    He is a thinker, likely prepared to transition out within the next two seasons.
    Let me be clear, pure speculation on my part, but...
    I believed, more than a coach, into President of TFC.
    Similar to MLSE/ML's Brendan Shanahan.
    With Bradley's father Bob possibly acting as a senior advisor, similar to Cliff Fletcher or Lou Lamoriello.
    Exploiting both of their connects and knowledge. Of course with Bobs hiring...
    Bill Manning would have been pushed to focus on the Argos, as well as the project of BMO upgrades for WC26.
    With Nick Eves hiring from Woodbine Entertainment Group- Race Track a few years back...
    With his exposure to the early planning of that expansion project...
    This outcome became way less probable IMO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is impossible to compare football in 1976 to football 45 years later.

But I feel there is little debate that a 33 year old Eusebio was/would be a much bigger player on the world stage, than Insigne.

Eusebio was, for a time (ie late 60s) the best player in the world, the equal in his time of Ronaldo today. Imagine TFC with Ronaldo in 2018…
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It’s interesting how far back Insigne drops, he is regularly in a MF winger position. Does anyone who watches Serie A know how typical that is for him?
    Not a big Serie A watcher myself (I find the league to play at an extremely slow pace) I noticed him helping out his LB a ton for Italy in the Euros though. It is refreshing to see a potential DP not just shrugging his shoulders and completely ignoring his defensive duties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a big Serie A watcher myself (I find the league to play at an extremely slow pace) I noticed him helping out his LB a ton for Italy in the Euros though. It is refreshing to see a potential DP not just shrugging his shoulders and completely ignoring his defensive duties.
    I saw his heat map at one point and it seems to reflect this.

I was a bit surprised at his touches in the box. Seems to be centred more around the outer left edge of the 18, where someone like Salah on the other side gets in deeper. Probably because he's a good shooter of the ball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I saw his heat map at one point and it seems to reflect this.

I was a bit surprised at his touches in the box. Seems to be centred more around the outer left edge of the 18, where someone like Salah on the other side gets in deeper. Probably because he's a good shooter of the ball.
    I wonder if Bradley will ask him to stay forward a lot more? He is gonna burden so much of the offensive burden here in Toronto and I think BB will be asking him to play in the free floating role he gave Carlos Vela at LAFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, from the times I have watched his team or national play, it is not uncommon; he is engaging when he engages in those movements- runs.
    What I would like to see in person is a few of those outside of the opponents box cut ins with ground hugging shots into goal; skimming the post's inside edge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is impossible to compare football in 1976 to football 45 years later.

But I feel there is little debate that a 33 year old Eusebio was/would be a much bigger player on the world stage, than Insigne.

Eusebio was, for a time (ie late 60s) the best player in the world, the equal in his time of Ronaldo today. Imagine TFC with Ronaldo in 2018…
    Finally! ensco... we disagree substantively in opinion. Messi is the best player in the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don’t know much about him, but this would be a good way for us to build out the back end of the roster with some affordable and higher upside players. As the 5th/6th CB on the roster, I’m sure there’s some adequate CPL defenders we can bring on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fabrizio Romano just live on the La LigA rap up, says Insignes people are saying 11 mil but he figures the numbers will be closer to 7 mil

net

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Finally! ensco... we disagree substantively in opinion. Messi is the best player in the world.
    Oh we don't disagree at all. I simply don't think Eusebio at his best could be compared to Messi. So I picked the next best player....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forest are playing Arsenal in the FA Cup on Sunday….

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Forest are playing Arsenal in the FA Cup on Sunday….
    I doubt he gets his work permit and registered with the FA in time. I think everything would have to be wrapped up by tomorrow morning for him to play in this weekends fixtures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luca Petrasso and Kobe Franklin are apparently signing homegrown deals

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

insigne looked amazing, but the way he plays highlights the need to sign a great strike to complement him