Page 3 of 191 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "offseason like no other" or whatever appears like it will happen this year instead of last year. I am trying not to get too excited by the thought of Insigne... And failing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anything short of Curtis being unceremoniously dumped on his ass is unacceptable. He’s shown no ability to build a team and the more we see of his choices, the stranger they are.

Get him out of there and stop leaking press clippings while begging people to renew their seats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two weeks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok I just can’t see Insigne coming to TFC at least not now . I’m a big Napoli fan and Insigne born and raised in Napoli is not leaving Napoli still in his prime to come to the MLS not yet . Insigne is not Giovinco , Giovinco was not a star for Juventus or a starter , was not a star for the Italian national team and was not picked much for the national team. Insigne is a starter for the national team and one of it's better players . I do want to say that Giovinco should have played more for Juventus and the national team but for whatever reason he did not . I think he was talented enough and should have played more . Therefore, when TFC purchased Giovinco they got a very underrated player and he showed how good he was when he came here. However, Insigne is a notch above Giovinco and still very wanted by Napoli and if not Napoli then one of the bigger teams in Europe will definitely be interested . Getting a guy like Insigne right now just can’t see it happening .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    I believe he and Seba share the same agent, so might just be related to the ongoing discussions about him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hes turning 31 next year with his contract ending and with Napoli this year hes getting subbed out almost every game and most of the time around 70 minutes so signing mls is not impossible

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I believe he and Seba share the same agent, so might just be related to the ongoing discussions about him.
    I can't find any info on who represents Giovinco now, but Insigne's agent has these clients listed.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/g-e-v-s...a/berater/3827

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    There is no way you keep Solteldo and Insigne. If Insigne is coming in Soteldo is gone. But we still need defenders and a new goalie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I can't find any info on who represents Giovinco now, but Insigne's agent has these clients listed.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/g-e-v-s...a/berater/3827
    Seba switched to this crowd from D'Amico over the summer

https://www.transfermarkt.us/ac-spor...a/berater/5070

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, just gaming this out.

What does a player like Insigne need around him?

A playmaker?

A supportive bombing down the back WB?

A hold up forward?

What do you get if you have that player in your squad to make sure he succeeds?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They were apparently wining and dining a possible new DP this week, and he is apparently Italian, so Insigne might be who was here touring the city.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buffery, who has actually been the best journalist for attempting to get quotes and comments from the team, has this new article.

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer...e-coach-player

Interesting tidbit on Soteldo who is quoted as being "a challenge" in the locker room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto and our Borré rivals, Palmeiras appear to be close to a Soteldo transfer according to ESPN Brazil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob Bradley deal already done to be next TFC Coach...

https://twitter.com/TransfersMLS/sta...81870730645511

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Ok, just gaming this out.

What does a player like Insigne need around him?

A playmaker?

A supportive bombing down the back WB?

A hold up forward?

What do you get if you have that player in your squad to make sure he succeeds?
    He is used to playing on the left side of a front 3 and works well with a hold up forward in the middle to play off of as well as a LB that gets forward to interchange down the wing. He can play a more central role at times for Napoli but not his thing really. He likes to play down the left then cut in to shoot on his right. He is the Napoli captain and plays with a lot of passion. They definitely needs the right pieces around him to be successful and that is not Dwyer or Mullinho in the middle of the park we can be sure of that. Definitely need to find an Altidore type of player but one that can actually play most games. Insigne is rarely injured or missing from a lineup so he is durable still at his age which is good. He doesn't do all the flashy stepovers and all that stuff to take defenders on but would rather do the 1-2 passing around defenders to get in on goal so he does need the supporting cast. Is Shaff ready to give up his number though? Insigne has his number 24 at Napoli and tattooed on his leg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding Insigne and Bob, only one of those can be true. How can you look for a new DP without the new coaches input?

The talks with Insigne must have started before Bob supposedly signed for us.

I am inclined to believe we are getting Bob. The whole Insigne thing is just TFC being used as a pawn(willingly) to drive his price up for the Jan window. We must be doing a favor for the Italians.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Regarding Insigne and Bob, only one of those can be true. How can you look for a new DP without the new coaches input?

They're saying Bob's been basically done for "weeks" so he could have had input. His son could have dropped a "so what do you think about Insigne on TFC next year?" during a phone call, who knows?

It did seem like he checked out of LAFC a while ago though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am inclined to believe we are getting Bob. The whole Insigne thing is just TFC being used as a pawn(willingly) to drive his price up for the Jan window. We must be doing a favor for the Italians.
    Yeah. Just like with Vanney last year there are likely some back channel dealings going on. Vanney almost definitely knew the LAG gig was his before he announced he wasn't returning to Toronto. I also can't see many managers getting upset that they could be coaching one of the biggest names to ever come to MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Anything short of Curtis being unceremoniously dumped on his ass is unacceptable. He’s shown no ability to build a team and the more we see of his choices, the stranger they are.

Get him out of there and stop leaking press clippings while begging people to renew their seats.
    Ali Curtis WILL NOT be fired. He deserves to be, but it simply won't happen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Ali Curtis WILL NOT be fired. He deserves to be, but it simply won't happen.
    I think he will because I think that's the role Bob will have along with manager.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insigne is the type of player that any coach in MLS would take. If they say "no, I'd rather someone else", they're lying and should be fired. Coaches should always be able to be somewhat flexible in the system they'd like to play in order to integrate great players.

That said - totally agree with you that Insigne could just be us doing a favour to Italian agents, plus it helps raise TFC's profile globally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A challenge for recruitment of any international DP will be the timing of the World Cup at the end of 2022. If we're looking at players that are in competition for their international team and the team is a potential World Cup competitor, they may hesitate to join TFC and come to MLS all together. Thinking about European based players specifically. A player in competition to play for an Italy/Spain/etc. would likely prefer to stay in Europe in what's viewed as a "top" league. Even the transatlantic flights for international windows would be a lot to add on to players.

We may be better off looking for players that are outside of the national team picture. Still lots of good players in that range - Pozuelo and prime Vazquez are perfect examples of a really good player who had no chance on the national team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Let’s be honest, the management team that runs our club is likely to see it as a net positive. They say they’ve signed player X but he’s on loan and won’t report until after the WC.

The team sucks and they use the excuse their best player hasn’t arrived yet, buying them another year.

Straight out of the Mo Johnston school of extending your tenor (while accomplishing nothing).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I dont think I want Bob Bradley here. Let him go to Cinci or Chicago.
    Who do we get then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just remember Bob was the same guy who traded away Zimmerman for nothing and since that trade LA has been going downhill. I would also prefer we don't sign him but already looks like a done deal...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not gonna post it here because it isn't worth it, but if anyone wants a good laugh go check out Rollins on Twitter trying to pretend he knows who TFC's DP targets are. He can't tell us, but he definitely knows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Who do we get then?
    Depends. Are they gonna try and re-tool on the fly or do a proper re-build?

Bradley might suit if they try a quick re-tool and squeeze another year or two out of the majority of the roster with an addition or two. Given LAFC have similar resources to TFC and LAFC fans cant wait to see the back of him I'm apprehensive.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On LAFC fans not liking Bradley anymore

They don't know what they have had. Wait until they get some person who really can't do the job but looks good to the media. Maybe not Armas bad but I'm thinking a guy like Almeyda who is promising but never quite there.

I'm not sold on Bradley because of the Zimmerman trade but LAFC people have about as much institutional knowledge as ATL 2 years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On LAFC, the Zimmerman trade didn't work out, but they did get $950k-$1.1M in GAM. It's not like they let him walk for nothing. He was also due for a raise and received a TAM deal the following year. Similarly, they sold Kaye for $1M in GAM with one year left on his contract. Colorado is going to need to give Kaye a big extension.
    They did a good job of cashing out on players while they could. They just didn't necessarily re-invest that money properly.