Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post

'You kid op but TFC actually did this for their inaugural season. Invited fans to come down, pay $200 I believe and try out.'

'I think it was $125. Looking back that was such a predatory thing for the team to do.'
I don't know about the other things you posted, but this was true. TFC (and columbus crew the following year) held open tryouts at BMO field.
I don't remember the cost - but both of those numbers above seem familiar. I think it was was closer to $125 though.

I had a few friends go and try out who were pretty familiar with the provincial soccer landscape at the time. They said it was Nepotism at its worst.
MoJo and Co already had a couple players lined up (players known to associates and contacts of people within the club).
I'm told the sessions were insulting, it was almost a "Thanks for your money, now we'll run you through some random sessions and you can go home after that" feeling. Felt like they were already cut before even starting the day.

It was a way to get local talent to come to them (cos you know actual scouting would have cut into MoJo's drinking time) and generate some easy revenue. (i think that last past was really the driver)

I know Columbus did the same thing a year later - not sure if they got the idea from TFC or if the league was pushing it?

Regardless - It was slimy as fuck.