Page 140 of 191 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150190 ... LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,200 of 5705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    “Raul Ruidiaz would score a ton of goals in Serie A “ LMFAO
    Why are you LMFAO? If you want me to respect your view of my opinion, it might help to provide one of your own.

You find that laughable? Why? He scored a goal every 1.8 games in Liga MX, which is generally regarded as a very tough league.

People seem to think the distance between the top leagues and those below them is a chasm. It isn't. Clint Dempsey scored 17 goals in his last Premier League season with Fulham, and Raul Ruidiaz is a better striker than Clint Dempsey ever was.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Raul Ruidiaz would score a ton of goals in Serie A “ LMFAO
    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Why are you LMFAO? If you want me to respect your view of my opinion, it might help to provide one of your own.

You find that laughable? Why? He scored a goal every 1.8 games in Liga MX, which is generally regarded as a very tough league.

People seem to think the distance between the top leagues and those below them is a chasm. It isn't. Clint Dempsey scored 17 goals in his last Premier League season with Fulham, and Raul Ruidiaz is a better striker than Clint Dempsey ever was.
    OK, let's not let this get into a fight now. Do we really need to go down this path? I'd rather see both of you contributing to the discussion. It's much better not to have to use this...

Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-22-2022 at 02:18 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, if this Belotti rumor is true that must mean Salcedo is coming in with the ability to be bought down.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don’t want any kind of confrontation here, but please, just because a guy fills the net in MLS do not believe he will have the same success in Serie A. Don’t confuse with what you are watching here in North America to what’s happening in one of the top four leagues in the world. If you want a good comparison , our man Seba ripped this league apart, Juventus had no use for him. I am detecting a bit of English arrogance when you bring down Serie A that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    So, if this Belotti rumor is true that must mean Salcedo is coming in with the ability to be bought down.
    I am not sure, but I believe the MLS BCR Consultancy Group (Budgetary-Capologist-Rules) that is secretly advising Bob and Bill on these such matters may be able to comment...

Will anyone from the firm of Nox, Web, Gog, Ami & Associates care to comment?

By the way, if this activity was a responsibility and key strength of both Bezbatchenko and Curtis, who at TFC might that be now?
    I understand Bob and Bill would be knowledgeable through experience, I just don't think they would be fully immersed in the intricacies.
    Does MLS- Head Office provide the service? Maybe Lino Di Cuollo?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

League superstar Josef Martinez managed a grand total of seven goals in three years in Serie . Don’t kind yourself there is a huge difference between MLS and Serie A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

League superstar Josef Martinez managed a grand total of seven goals in three years in Serie . Don’t kind yourself there is a huge difference between MLS and Serie A
    Martinez did play as a winger rather than striker in Serie A, so that probably didn’t help him. That said, agreed with the sentiment that Serie A is well ahead of MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don’t want any kind of confrontation here, but please, just because a guy fills the net in MLS do not believe he will have the same success in Serie A. Don’t confuse with what you are watching here in North America to what’s happening in one of the top four leagues in the world. If you want a good comparison , our man Seba ripped this league apart, Juventus had no use for him. I am detecting a bit of English arrogance when you bring down Serie A that way.
    seba went on loan to Parma and scored 15 goals. The fact that he came here in no way
    means he wasn’t good enough for Serie A.

not cracking Juventus is somewhat irrelevant when he proved his capabilities at a weaker team in the same league. He still got national team Call ups as well.

And as noted above, Martinez played as both a winger and wingback in Italy. He was never given a shot at striker.

additionally, I’m surprised you detected English arrogance when the example I used was Clint Dempsey playing in the premiership.

Players around the world often end out playing at lower levels to get more money. Ruidiqz was one of the most consistent strikers in liga Mx…. A better league than MLS.
    Last edited by jloome; 01-22-2022 at 05:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    OK, let's not let this get into a fight now. Do we really need to go down this path? I'd rather see both of you contributing to the discussion. It's much better not to have to use this...

im not sure how saying I want a position to debate rather than an offhand mockery is starting a fight, OT. I’m just asking for a discussion rather than a drive-by dismissal. That’s entirely reasonable, isn’t it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Jloome that Ruidiaz could do a job for a midtable team like Torino or Bologna.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im not sure how saying I want a position to debate rather than an offhand mockery is starting a fight, OT. I’m just asking for a discussion rather than a drive-by dismissal. That’s entirely reasonable, isn’t it?
    It's reasonable to want an intelligent discussion. The tone of both posts were problematic. Yes, "tone" is hard to read online. Just wanted to give a reminder before things escalated too far. That's all.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It's reasonable to want an intelligent discussion. The tone of both posts were problematic. Yes, "tone" is hard to read online. Just wanted to give a reminder before things escalated too far. That's all.
    Cheers, fair enough. I have a pretty direct tone sometimes, although it's usually only when I'm trying to get a debate to a place that's polite and mutually respectful.

One of the reasons I always use my real name online is that I don't want anonymity, I want people to know that I stand by what I say, and that if I'm saying something problematic, they know who they're dealing with. The problem with online conversations in general is that they free people to say whatever they like without considering tone, rudeness, civility etc.

One of the reasons I've been coming back to this board since the Area 53 days (and was 32nd to sign up for a new group called "The Red Patch Boys" in 2006) is because the conversations in this group are usually polite and respectful, and to the point.

But you're right, it can sometimes come off as harsh to call out flippancy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Jloome that Ruidiaz could do a job for a midtable team like Torino or Bologna.
    That's another fair consideration; Serie 'A' is across the board, obviously, stronger than MLS or any other secondary or tertiary league. But not all teams in Serie 'A' are equal. They still call Michael Bradley "The General" in Chievo and consider him one of their most effective midfielders ever. But at Roma, he had to fight week in and out for his position; the jump from a small Serie 'A' team to a giant was considerable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Miguel Herrera no longer considers Carlos Salcedo a part of the Tigres squad according to his quotes today. Just a matter of time now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Miguel Herrera no longer considers Carlos Salcedo a part of the Tigres squad according to his quotes today. Just a matter of time now.
    Some outlets in Mexico reported he was having a physical Friday or Saturday to complete the move. I imagine they'll want to start the new week with a bang....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm surprised it took this long for him to get to a higher level; he's 26! But he played the full four years at Uni and until the CPL came along, he'd have had very few options. Most USL teams would have to treat him as an international, so that might be why.

There was a story in one of the B.C. papers that Pa Modou Kah recommended him to the Canadian MLS teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lukas MacNaughton would probably be the most handsome member of our team.
    https://www.sutherlandmodels.com/men...s-macnaughton/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

born in new york

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm surprised it took this long for him to get to a higher level; he's 26! But he played the full four years at Uni and until the CPL came along, he'd have had very few options. Most USL teams would have to treat him as an international, so that might be why.

There was a story in one of the B.C. papers that Pa Modou Kah recommended him to the Canadian MLS teams.
    He was born in the US and raised in Belgium. His mother was born in Austria and father Canada. He would have had choices on both side of the pond I believe.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good call on having him train with the team first. It would be one thing to sign him outright if he was a free agent, but he will require a transfer fee to Pacific beforehand. No reason to waste that GAM on a 4th choice CB if he looks bad in training and exhibition games. If he looks good, sign him up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The transfer fee that Montreal paid for Joel Waterman a few years ago was $100k. That's probably around what it might take for MacNaughton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Yep. At this stage the CPL is just trying to prove they can sell players on to other leagues. No major successes but a few guys doing okay.

Shouldn’t be pricey.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good call on having him train with the team first. It would be one thing to sign him outright if he was a free agent, but he will require a transfer fee to Pacific beforehand. No reason to waste that GAM on a 4th choice CB if he looks bad in training and exhibition games. If he looks good, sign him up.
    Normally when you sign a player to an off budget deal ie spots 21-30 there money initially is not guaranteed out of the gate. You can release them without much of hit other than the paychecks they have already received. Guys like that in the past would be Johan Brunnel, Taylor Morgan, Ashton Bennett etc. If there is a transfer fee involved its a different story. I think the only player in the past the Reds actually paid a transfer fee for to a lower division North American team was for Mark Bloom. Transfer fees were not all the common is the USL because typically players were signed to one year deals. The CPL teams to do multi year ones more often.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some outlets in Mexico reported he was having a physical Friday or Saturday to complete the move. I imagine they'll want to start the new week with a bang....
    Carlos 'El Titan' Salcedo > Omar 'El Tule' Gonzalez.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope Salcedo really wants to be here, and is open minded about the different life we offer here.

We have had repeated misfires with Latin Americans (going all the way back to Pablo Vitti, also Aceval, Gilberto, Gallardo, right up to Soteldo). Nobody ever seems to fit in (the only exception I can think of is Amado Guevara, and he was pretty short lived)

I hope Salcedo breaks the mold.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    He was born in the US and raised in Belgium. His mother was born in Austria and father Canada. He would have had choices on both side of the pond I believe.
    Plus he has represented Canada at the World University Games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I hope Salcedo really wants to be here, and is open minded about the different life we offer here.

We have had repeated misfires with Latin Americans (going all the way back to Pablo Vitti, also Aceval, Gilberto, Gallardo, right up to Soteldo). Nobody ever seems to fit in (the only exception I can think of is Amado Guevara, and he was pretty short lived)

I hope Salcedo breaks the mold.
    Gut tells me he is a wanderer... vibrant Latin community in TO... hopefully... full term of contract.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Plus he has represented Canada at the World University Games.
    Are those teams actual international football, selected the CSA?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Lukas MacNaughton would probably be the most handsome member of our team.
    https://www.sutherlandmodels.com/men...s-macnaughton/
    Thanks, I just showed my wife. Might get her to go to a few more games at BMO if they sign Lukas.