Page 5 of 191 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I believed the Defoe and Gio rumours.

I don't believe the Insigne one whatsoever. That player has legitimate options in Europe. He isn't facing going to Bournemouth or Parma or similar…
    Agree this isn’t convincing.

The Bradley rumours, though, make sense.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I don't think a guy of that calibre with those options is coming here.

&

Talk about "never" or "fake" is just as fake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I honestly don't remember the Giovinco rumors at all. I remember Defoe and Bradley's rumors and Defoe leaving TFC for Jozy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I honestly don't remember the Giovinco rumors at all. I remember Defoe and Bradley's rumors and Defoe leaving TFC for Jozy.
    There was a solid two-week period or so before they met with him in Italy where I think most of us wrote of Giovinco as a pipe dream.

Insigne seems more unlikely as he's been the subject of interest from multiple Prem teams already. But there was a report in Italy last week that Qatari football types had approached him. Most likely his agent is just ratcheting the pressure up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really tend to think we should focus our efforts at the back. A DP CB. We actually have pretty decent depth in the midfield and forward (Ayo, Acharya, Shaff). Okay, we probably need 1 striker.

And whoever said trying to get St. Clair from MIN, great idea.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    There was a solid two-week period or so before they met with him in Italy where I think most of us wrote of Giovinco as a pipe dream.

Insigne seems more unlikely as he's been the subject of interest from multiple Prem teams already. But there was a report in Italy last week that Qatari football types had approached him. Most likely his agent is just ratcheting the pressure up.
    That isn’t the way it was. I went back and looked, it was actually kind of interesting. See the 10-15 pages starting page 71 here…
    http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...hlight=2014-15

There were a couple of people saying it couldn’t be true but, mostly, people thought, if the money was really $7M, Gio would come, because he didn’t have serious options in Europe (sounds like there was maybe a Monaco rumour, but they would have paid him, say, $2-3M for a couple of years)

Insigne, he has to be looking at a lot more. Cavani is on $15M a year at Man Utd, so Insigne is probably worth half that at West Ham or wherever. A good club will give him 2 years and $15M, plus maybe Champions League.

There is a world of difference in elite Europe between a 5 foot 5 inch player that can’t get in at a big club (which was Gio's situation) vs a classic plug and play striker/winger coming off 19 goals in 35 games at an almost as big club.

We would have to pay $30M, like we did to Gio, to seriously try to get him, and even then, if I were him, I would say no. If Insigne wants MLS, he can do it in two years, more like Gonzalo Higuain did after going to Inter.

Plus Leiweke is long gone, nobody is offering $30M anymore to a guy like this that has no resale value.

It doesn’t add up. He isn’t coming.

I think it's very possible they have talked about 2024, and Manning is doing Insigne's agent a solid in the meantime by leaking this, as a gesture of goodwill.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-11-2021 at 07:50 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    They knew Vanney was leaving last year and still took forever to finally get Armas named at the start of training camp if I recall. If they pull that crap again how is the manager going to have time to make any player decisions before the season starts.....they better get it right this time. Another failed coaching appointment in terms of selection or timing would be brutal. But to be honest I would not be surprised by anything these days.
    I mean this, IMO, is Curtis' biggest downfall. He's slow AF to make moves. If he was to move faster, I don't think he would be all that bad.

He needs to learn how to Fail fast and move on.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 11-11-2021 at 09:54 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure TFC would be the last option for a player of this caliber to consider.
    When TFC are considered serious contenders for this type of player, It probably means all of the players better European options didn't pan out for him.
    And the player getting to this this stage of their search doesn't happen this early. It's usually super last minute (1 month out max of it actually happening)

My Hot Take
    Insigne isn't happening and him being our target is not the thing you should be taking away from all this rumour.
    The thing we should be focusing on is that their search has started in Italy. Seems like a Serie A player is their focus.

TFC are probably playing the Insigne game as a favour to the agent to show that the player is being sought after in leagues that will spend $$$. So if a team wants him, they'll need to spend a bit more, not MLS level more, but a little bit more. In return the agent helps TFC to get a player, at the very least puts in a good word for them.

I personally expect at the end of this an Italian player of some sort coming to TFC. Someone who can compliment Poz and help bring him back to MVP form.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 11-11-2021 at 01:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The full list of MLS players with options and out of contract players. If we bring back Gonzalez at his price tag...

TFC players with options are Mullinho, Osorio, Omar and Zavs.

Out of contract players are Endoh and DeLeon.

https://mlsplayers.org/news/free-agency-list-released
    Last edited by MikeForbes; 11-11-2021 at 10:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The full list of MLS players with options and out of contract players. If we bring back Gonzalez at his price tag...

https://mlsplayers.org/news/free-agency-list-released
    Players with options: OG, Osorio, Zav, Mullins
    Players out of contract and free agents: Endoh, DeLeon

I think Oso is a shoe in to return. Zav may be back if his option salary is similar to what he made this year. At the very least we could flip him to another MLS team. MAYBE OG comes back if he's willing to take a significant pay cut. The team should move on from the others.

EDIT: I think this list only covers players who would be free agents. I think there are a few other players who we hold options for that would not be eligible for free agency.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of the players with options, TFC should be keeping their eye on what happens with (I know, I know) the Red Bulls and Aaron Long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Players with options: OG, Osorio, Zav, Mullins
    Players out of contract and free agents: Endoh, DeLeon

I think Oso is a shoe in to return. Zav may be back if his option salary is similar to what he made this year. At the very least we could flip him to another MLS team. MAYBE OG comes back if he's willing to take a significant pay cut. The team should move on from the others.

EDIT: I think this list only covers players who would be free agents. I think there are a few other players who we hold options for that would not be eligible for free agency.
    The only player that should return out of all those is Oso. Anyone else comes back and they demonstrate they aren't committed to the rebuild.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=MikeForbes;1947280]Of the players with options, TFC should be keeping their eye on what happens with (I know, I know) the Red Bulls and Aaron Long.[/QUOTE

Closet Curtis supporter alert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of the players with options, TFC should be keeping their eye on what happens with (I know, I know) the Red Bulls and Aaron Long.
    I also wouldn't mind seeing Tesho in Toronto and move on from Mullins and Dwyer

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post

This is a good point. This list is from the union, and includes only the free agents. Younger players, and/or players less than 5 years in MLS, would not be on this list even if they're on an option year OR out of contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    That isn’t the way it was. I went back and looked, it was actually kind of interesting. See the 10-15 pages starting page 71 here…
    http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...hlight=2014-15

There were a couple of people saying it couldn’t be true but, mostly, people thought, if the money was really $7M, Gio would come, because he didn’t have serious options in Europe (sounds like there was maybe a Monaco rumour, but they would have paid him, say, $2-3M for a couple of years).
    I do tend to recall things more cynically than they were, rather unfortunate trait. It's a little disturbing how much busier the board was back then in the Bez-Leiweke optimism period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of reports coming out of Italy today that we offered Insigne a "massive contract". They go on to say he does not appear tempted to go to MLS.

Last edited by MikeForbes; 11-11-2021 at 01:05 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A lot of reports coming out of Italy today that we offered Insigne a "massive contract". They go on to say he does not appear tempted to go to MLS.

Forget Insigne. That's not the play.

What this does for TFC is it sends a message to other agents/players out there who may be interested that we are looking to make a splash. It hopefully sends people to us as oppose to us turning over every rock to find something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post

What this does for TFC is it sends a message to other agents/players out there who may be interested that we are looking to make a splash. It hopefully sends people to us as oppose to us turning over every rock to find something.
    It also tells anyone in Europe in the market for Insigne that they'll have to pay through the nose. It's a win-win, message wise, which is probably why they cooked it up. If all else fails and no one there will pay what we offered, he still has us as a backdoor.

There was a story in Italy yesterday that Napoli have offered to front-load a new deal, so that he gets most of it in two years but there's an option for the last two. That way they can claim the overall deal is one amount but pay him twice that effectively, and then the market is still open to him at 32 if he wants to go then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post

That is what I am thinking. Especially with this stuff coming out from big named Italian media members. You gotta think agents are gonna see this and say "hey, me and my client want to be filthy rich, maybe we can get in on that".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aaa..the old "we don't have an offer so this isn't real" bit of tomfoolery.

Likely what is happening?

Discussions useful to both sides for various reasons.

Outcome?

Player gets leverage with potential teams in leagues he prefers

Team shows committed fanbase management is interested in going big - if by some miracle it happens, then its a moonshot - if it doesn't nothing really lost but a bit of management time in November.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 11-11-2021 at 08:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is TFC legally allowed to give Insigne a concrete offer before January?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do tend to recall things more cynically than they were, rather unfortunate trait. It's a little disturbing how much busier the board was back then in the Bez-Leiweke optimism period.
    Part of that definitely felt down to the amount of leaks and (the necessary) increase in investment to the team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is TFC legally allowed to give Insigne a concrete offer before January?
    I'm not totally sure on the rule for this so someone can correct me. But I would assume they can offer whatever they want and whenever they want, stating whatever the contract would perhaps be, he probably just can't sign said contract until they open the trade window?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 613reppingTFC View Post
    I'm not totally sure on the rule for this so someone can correct me. But I would assume they can offer whatever they want and whenever they want, stating whatever the contract would perhaps be, he probably just can't sign said contract until they open the trade window?
    Legally, my understanding is we could only start negotiation with a player without their clubs consent 6 months from the expiration of their contract (And sign them after it expires), otherwise we need to negotiate with the club first before talking to the player

In reality, that isn't how transfer deals are done so if there's any truth to these rumours whatsoever (And I don't see it) we're almost certainly in contact with the player today even if it's only at a 'throwing some numbers at the agent to see if this is worth pursuing at all' stage
    Last edited by JoesphNdo; 11-12-2021 at 09:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A list of players (using Insigne as a reference point) with contracts expiring in 2022 that could replicate Defoe/Giovinco level buzz:

Player/Club (Age) Profile Note
    Perisic/Inter Milan (32) WC Question
    Suarez/Atletico Madrid (34) Playing regularly; knee problems; WC selection non-issue (see: Lodeiro)
    Cavani/Manchester United (34) Playing intermittently; WC selection non-issue (see: Lodeiro)
    Kramaric/Hoffenheim (30) Loyal to club; top European club likely to try and sign if possible
    Lacazette/Arsenal (30) Could move to top club, but likely wouldn't start; Retired from France; USD$ 11M Price Tag
    Mkhitaryan/Roma (32) Unhappy at Roma, wants more attacking freedom; Roma reportedly willing to part in January
    Isco/Real Madrid (29) Frozen out completely at Real; Sevilla front-runner; Agent/Father states "he wants to try another league"; Spain aspirations?
    Januzaj/Real Sociedad (26) Napoli in the running; Sociedad won't improve contract; WC question (pre. Ciman called up from MLS, Carrasco called up from China)
    Bernardeschi/Juventus (27) Juventus trying to cut wage; Juventus willing to swap in January (Soteldo?); BIG WC question mark (played 10 matches in 2021 for Italy)
    Jesus Corona/FC Porto (28) Calibre of clubs in for him likely not to pay him a ransom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Januzaj makes the most sense to me out of that crew. Giving Suarez a huge deal for two years would generate the most buzz though, I think.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'd love a younger Cavani to play here, but the travel alone would kill him. Add the fact some MLS teams still play on Turf. AND the fact that he isn't a 90 minute player right now. We'd probably see him play about 25% of the season and be injured for the rest.

Suarez would be a dressing room cancer. Too big of a personality for MLS and especially TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be in on Lacazette, he's good friends with Mavinga, not seeing many minutes this season for Arsenal, out of his national team picture and obviously talented enough to be a difference-maker here.