Page 32 of 191 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would a DP be put off by a buy out? That's a selling feature, not a problem. They're here for the money - all of them, don't be deluded otherwise. So the fact that we'll potentially give you the money just to have you not play and be a free agent capable of negotiating another contract elsewhere? That's only a plus, it's only an upside to your earning potential

Imagine applying for a job and getting a huge offer, way more than you are currently on. Imagine the company promises to keep you for four years and that's as long as you'd want to stay there anyway, and then you hear that sometimes they may let people go after 3 but they pay them in full for their fourth year anyway. Is that off putting to you? It wouldn't be to me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Insigne would be a mistake. He is luxury player with the current squad we have.

We desperately need a proper striker, defense and more reinforcement in the midfield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Why would a DP be put off by a buy out? That's a selling feature, not a problem. They're here for the money - all of them, don't be deluded otherwise. So the fact that we'll potentially give you the money just to have you not play and be a free agent capable of negotiating another contract elsewhere? That's only a plus, it's only an upside to your earning potential

Imagine applying for a job and getting a huge offer, way more than you are currently on. Imagine the company promises to keep you for four years and that's as long as you'd want to stay there anyway, and then you hear that sometimes they may let people go after 3 but they pay them in full for their fourth year anyway. Is that off putting to you? It wouldn't be to me
    Exactly. Plus Jozy can go somewhere else and add another million or so dollars to the 3.6 million or whatever he would get from his buyout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Mike Munoz (TFC II manager) might be leaving for LA Galaxy.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/sou...NJnoL2oTyuModZ

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I think Jozy has checked out of TFC. His head is always elsewhere. Now that could be because he is always injured and has the time to daydream to other parts of the world. When he gets injured he plays this game of "I'm a wanted commodity". I feel like that card has run out for him.

I just wonder how much his pride and ego will get in the way of his next contract.
    It's pretty simple, he wants to be with his fiancee and she lives in Florida.

Buy him out and let him go to Orlando.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It's pretty simple, he wants to be with his fiancee and she lives in Florida.

Buy him out and let him go to Orlando.
    ya his head is 100% in the US. Nothing wrong with that. But he ain't here with us. Buy him out and let him go where he's happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm okay with waiting for the summer for Insigne, but the striker issue needs to be addressed. Buying out Jozy without a replacement and Akinola out until probably May leaves us with Peruzza and Dwyer. It might be worth it to keep him. At least until summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From everything I’ve been told and speaking with inside people at the club, I think this deal is getting done. Lorenzo Insigne will be Toronto FC player. The main question is does he come this winter or in the Summer? Toronto doesn’t want to pay a transfer fee or obviously.

https://twitter.com/TransfersMLS/sta...56184802660355

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I think Insigne would be a mistake. He is luxury player with the current squad we have.

We desperately need a proper striker, defense and more reinforcement in the midfield.
    Yeah, but he'll fill the stadium ...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was in the nosebleed seats on the east side upper tier once & it was amazing how many people left after Seba got subbed out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Yeah, but he'll fill the stadium ...
    I think this comment is spot on. TFC plans to expand BMO Field in the next few years for the World Cup and they need fans to be interested in the product. Insigne would be the biggest star to ever to come TFC. Yes, bigger than Defoe!

They need fan interest. I'm talking playoffs, MLS Cup, champions league, and sold out games. Remember those crazy friday nights down at BMO in 2016 and 2017? God, those were the days! This club needs to make a bang to get the casual fan back.

I'm all for it! Let's go!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not sure Insigne would have the same marketing impact Giovinco did.

This isn’t my area of expertise in life, but it seems to me Seba was quite unusual, the Italian thing was only part of it, and not the biggest part. All that creativity, the free kicks. Style. A little guy. He sort of broke through. Kids just absolutely loved and identified with Seba.

Having watched the Netflix doc on the Italian Euro champion team, I don’t think Insigne is that guy. Although he is likeable and he could be “packaged up” nicely by All for One etc…He looks serious, but he is a prankster who was constantly pulling stunts on Immobile. He has a kind of offbeat sense of humour, he made his team listen over and over to a ridiculous Neapolitan song as their training anthem, which the team wound up adopting. Frankly I think he would be a massive hit on these boards (but maybe a bigger hit with the hardcores than the casuals)

Re the Italian thing, Insigne is a Napoli lifer. That's just different than someone from Juve. Plus his rap in Italy is of being part of a generation of failure in WC (got punched out in Group stage by Costa Rica in 2014, did not qualify in 2018, in big trouble for 2022). Forwards on that team just cannot score goals. The recent Euro success may have helped, I dunno.

You want to fill the stadium, bring Gio back with Insigne. And Gio knows it.

(Still don’t believe Insigne is coming, but have come to believe it's possible.)
    Last edited by ensco; 12-09-2021 at 08:46 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe we have interest and have made an offer. I just cant see him accepting no matter what is said. Maybe if Tim L was here id believe more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

This isn’t my area of expertise in life, but it seems to me Seba was quite unusual, the Italian thing was only part of it, and not the biggest part. All that creativity, the free kicks. Style. A little guy. He sort of broke through. Kids just absolutely loved and identified with Seba.

Having watched the Netflix doc on the Italian Euro champion team, I don’t think Insigne is that guy. Although he is likeable and he could be “packaged up” nicely by All for One etc…He looks serious, but he is a prankster who was constantly pulling stunts on Immobile. He has a kind of offbeat sense of humour, he made his team listen over and over to a ridiculous Neapolitan song as their training anthem, which the team wound up adopting. Frankly I think he would be a massive hit on these boards (but maybe a bigger hit with the hardcores than the casuals)

Re the Italian thing, Insigne is a Napoli lifer. That's just different than someone from Juve. Plus his rap in Italy is of being part of a generation of failure in WC (got punched out in Group stage by Costa Rica in 2014, did not qualify in 2018, in big trouble for 2022). Forwards on that team just cannot score goals. The recent Euro success may have helped, I dunno.

You want to fill the stadium, bring Gio back with Insigne. And Gio knows it.

(Still don’t believe Insigne is coming, but have come to believe it's possible.)
    that's exactly how I would describe Insigne.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Insigne you have a player most football fans or casual watchers of the Euros/WC Qualifiers know vs. Giovinco that only people who follow Serie A & moreso Juve knew. I had no idea who Giovinco was when we were rumored for him because I don't follow Serie A that much. Insigne I have seen play multiple times and I know what we're getting; a player good enough to start on the Italian NT now, not an infrequent bench call up.

Comparing Giovinco to Insigne is like comparing Keane to Beckham in LA. Sure they grew to love Keane after they saw him play and play well but Ol' Becky had them lining for tickets before he even landed in LA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I believe we have interest and have made an offer. I just cant see him accepting no matter what is said. Maybe if Tim L was here id believe more
    Yeah. It is literally too good to be true.

This is a drop everything, build your team around this guy type signing. Talent like this just doesn’t come to MLS often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    With Insigne you have a player most football fans or casual watchers of the Euros/WC Qualifiers know vs. Giovinco that only people who follow Serie A & moreso Juve knew. I had no idea who Giovinco was when we were rumored for him because I don't follow Serie A that much. Insigne I have seen play multiple times and I know what we're getting; a player good enough to start on the Italian NT now, not an infrequent bench call up.

Comparing Giovinco to Insigne is like comparing Keane to Beckham in LA. Sure they grew to love Keane after they saw him play and play well but Ol' Becky had them lining for tickets before he even landed in LA.
    He was in my Euro fantasy team. That's how good he is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insigne is willing to shoot from just about anywhere, I would love to see someone like that at BMO for a change. What is the Italian equivalent to a double decker?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    that's exactly how I would describe Insigne.
    I'll defer to people who know him. He has never shown much of that in Italian MNT games. He did do a nice jump step move to score in the Euros against Belgium.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll defer to people who know him. He has never shown much of that in Italian MNT games. He did do a nice jump step move to score in the Euros against Belgium.
    hasn't done too bad in fairness to him, 10 goals in 53 games for a winger. Man of the match v Belgium, many people's pre tournament favourite, 2 goals in tournament. Most solo runs by any player in the whole tournament. If the claim was he has struggled up to that point, possibly, but he sure paid them back in that one.We are judging him as if we are talking about him joining Man City or Bayern, it's mls, he'd be a class above.
    Will it happen, I'm not so sure. People genuinely have concerns about it, totally legit, but I've watched enough of him, where i feel he'd be a star for us.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    Will it happen, I'm not so sure. People genuinely have concerns about it, totally legit, but I've watched enough of him, where i feel he'd be a star for us.
    I am a long time Napoli fan so watched a lot of him over the years. I have no doubt he could have an impact and I think his ability is not a concern for most of us. He just needs to be ok mentally with coming here for the project of rebuilding this team and fully understand that MLS has a salary cap and all that so not all supporting cast will be of his quality. If he is good with that then I think he will be fine and could really be something for us if he does come. If he doesn't fully understand what he is getting into and just signing for the paycheck alone then that is where my only concern is. Giovinco knew when coming they were trying to build something and he would be a key part of it and I think he understood that going in aside from liking the paycheck. It is all about mentality. Some DP's struggle in MLS, some don't and it is usually all the mental part of it I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I am a long time Napoli fan so watched a lot of him over the years. I have no doubt he could have an impact and I think his ability is not a concern for most of us. He just needs to be ok mentally with coming here for the project of rebuilding this team and fully understand that MLS has a salary cap and all that so not all supporting cast will be of his quality. If he is good with that then I think he will be fine and could really be something for us if he does come. If he doesn't fully understand what he is getting into and just signing for the paycheck alone then that is where my only concern is. Giovinco knew when coming they were trying to build something and he would be a key part of it and I think he understood that going in aside from liking the paycheck. It is all about mentality. Some DP's struggle in MLS, some don't and it is usually all the mental part of it I think.
    agree 100%.
    Make no mistake though, Giovinco came here for the money. Difference was he came and he bought into the project we were setting up, not all DP's do. You'll recall Napoli being linked with Gio, but they weren't offering anything close to what we were.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact that we are even discussing a player at Insigne's level is cool. Imagine being a Montreal fan and only having to discuss who they can get on loan from Bologna.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waking the Red with some original reporting: https://www.wakingthered.com/2021/12...-is-heating-up

Waking The Red can confirm that Toronto FC have swooped in and made an offer for Insigne, one that would see the Italian international become the highest-paid player in club history. Multiple sources have indicated to Waking The Red that a deal between Insigne and Toronto is near the finish line, although, there’s some obstacles still to overcome before the move can be finalized.

Waking The Red has been told that it’s very unlikely Soteldo, who was purchased from Brazilian side Santos FC in April, returns to Toronto after just one season with the club.

Here we go! This is the first time we've had any original reporting on this from a Toronto based reporter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Waking the Red with some original reporting: https://www.wakingthered.com/2021/12...-is-heating-up

Waking The Red can confirm that Toronto FC have swooped in and made an offer for Insigne, one that would see the Italian international become the highest-paid player in club history. Multiple sources have indicated to Waking The Red that a deal between Insigne and Toronto is near the finish line, although, there’s some obstacles still to overcome before the move can be finalized.

Waking The Red has been told that it’s very unlikely Soteldo, who was purchased from Brazilian side Santos FC in April, returns to Toronto after just one season with the club.

Here we go! This is the first time we've had any original reporting on this from a Toronto based reporter.
    This all just mirrors what was being reported by the Italian MLS guy a few days.

There's nothing new in it, no sources quoted. It's highly unlikely anyone at Waking the Red has the kind of sources to get anything solid and new, and since there is nothing new in this, that fits. Very few sports guys in TO have that kind of access, and I guarantee part-timers at a fan site don't.

It's just not how the business works. There has to be some degree of sustained trust between a source and a writer, unless it's a trial balloon leak, in which case the guys with the widest-read, largest outlets still get it first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    This all just mirrors what was being reported by the Italian MLS guy a few days.

There's nothing new in it, no sources quoted. It's highly unlikely anyone at Waking the Red has the kind of sources to get anything solid and new, and since there is nothing new in this, that fits. Very few sports guys in TO have that kind of access, and I guarantee part-timers at a fan site don't.

It's just not how the business works. There has to be some degree of sustained trust between a source and a writer, unless it's a trial balloon leak, in which case the guys with the widest-read, largest outlets still get it first.
    Michael Singh is a legit reporter and has worked for MLSSoccer.com as well. He's giving more than Buffery had by just referring to news reports out of Europe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

calling it original reporting is a stretch,there is nobody in this city that breaks stories,waiting for fab or the american mls writers or maybe rollins lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Michael Singh is a legit reporter and has worked for MLSSoccer.com as well. He's giving more than Buffery had by just referring to news reports out of Europe.
    There's no such thing as a "legit" reporter, as there is no official body that decides who is and isn't. But generally, working full-time as a reporter is part of the job. Freelancing can legitimize someone, and he's done some, but it doesn't teach the person the source-building and beat-covering skills you learn at a large news organization.

Also, Mlssoccer.com is not a legitimate news source. It's owned and censored by the league, and much of the freelancing it accepts is brutally substandard.

I hired reporters for nearly ten years at a large chain. Someone with his relatively small amount of experience would not have been considered a pro or experienced enough for the job in the era when getting it right -- and breaking stories instead of just copying rumours -- actually mattered.

He has reported nothing Will Forbes hasn't already reported and Buffery, who is at the very least connected, has reported Forbes' comments already.

If he had a decent sources, he would have something to add to the story. He might know someone well enough at the club to get a "they're not wrong" -- I doubt it, most of these clubs have strict rules about leaks and the only people who get away with it are high-ranking, and don't deal on a primary basis with small fan sites. But even if he'd had that, it offers nothing new and is still just piggybacking on the Italian reporting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If there is something happening one of the Athletic guys, goff or Bogert will report it soon enough

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gave up on Waking the Red a long time ago. If it's more than an aggregator, I missed it.