Page 178 of 191 FirstFirst ... 78128168174175176177178179180181182188 ... LastLast
Results 5,311 to 5,340 of 5705
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post

'You kid op but TFC actually did this for their inaugural season. Invited fans to come down, pay $200 I believe and try out.'

'I think it was $125. Looking back that was such a predatory thing for the team to do.'
    I don't know about the other things you posted, but this was true. TFC (and columbus crew the following year) held open tryouts at BMO field.
    I don't remember the cost - but both of those numbers above seem familiar. I think it was was closer to $125 though.

I had a few friends go and try out who were pretty familiar with the provincial soccer landscape at the time. They said it was Nepotism at its worst.
    MoJo and Co already had a couple players lined up (players known to associates and contacts of people within the club).
    I'm told the sessions were insulting, it was almost a "Thanks for your money, now we'll run you through some random sessions and you can go home after that" feeling. Felt like they were already cut before even starting the day.

It was a way to get local talent to come to them (cos you know actual scouting would have cut into MoJo's drinking time) and generate some easy revenue. (i think that last past was really the driver)

I know Columbus did the same thing a year later - not sure if they got the idea from TFC or if the league was pushing it?

Regardless - It was slimy as fuck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Jozy has posted his goodbye to Toronto on Instagram. Doesn't seem like there is much bad blood.

well he's getting all his money and gets to play for another team... (cake and eat it too?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post

@ESPNFC

Man United’s players are frustrated with Ralf Rangnick’s squad selection methods, with some believing his training sessions are “old fashioned”.Players have also jokingly likened assistant Chris Armas to fictional football coach Ted Lasso, sources have told ESPN.

Manning should be fired alone for hiring Curtis lol and in turn bringing this guy near our club.SMH

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, the PTSD from Curtis/Armas is going to be as bad as that from Mo.

First game 2 weeks tomorrow. Still wondering. who the keeper is going to be.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Man, the PTSD from Curtis/Armas is going to be as bad as that from Mo.

Still not comparable. Curtis/Armas were just incompetent. Mo set the club on a path of dysfunctional and unethical behaviour that stayed until Leiweke cleaned house.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogon View Post
    That's such an interesting article. Thank you. You can see how a mid-table Premier League team is really up against it when it comes to recruiting. That's rarified air they're competing in, and the capital outlays are not just significant, but usually get bid up. So clearly the non-arms-length relationship with Mendes has served them well, but as the article points out, it's a deal with the devil and can go pear-shaped. Would I turn a blind eye if it were Mendes we were talking about here? Surely the weighing up pros and cons would be different and it would be a fun ride !
    Just read the article. Doesn't it make the whole MLS thing to buy young players and sell on to European clubs look hopelessly naive?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Still not comparable. Curtis/Armas were just incompetent. Mo set the club on a path of dysfunctional and unethical behaviour that stayed until Leiweke cleaned house.
    I mean this is a “who dug the bottom” harder conversation but i generally agree with your opinion.

There have never been stories of Curtis relying on one agency or arm-twisting academy players to sign with a preferred agency or all the other shady shit that supposedly went on during other times …

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Just read the article. Doesn't it make the whole MLS thing to buy young players and sell on to European clubs look hopelessly naive?
    Couldn’t agree more. The pipe dream of MLS being some sort of finishing school for mid priced talent burns eternal in the minds of cheap owners.

I don’t think they appreciate how hard this is and the knock-on implications.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    Manning should be fired alone for hiring Curtis lol and in turn bringing this guy near our club.SMH

From the Guardian today:

Despite having a wealth of attacking options at his disposal, Rangnick has been unable to get his team scoring. In their last three games – against Burnley, Middlesbrough and West Ham – United have scored just three goals from 70 shots. They created seven clear-cut chances in 90 minutes against Boro and missed them all.
    Rangnick has been in charge for 12 matches and United have only scored more than one goal in three of them. Even in Solskjær’s last 12 games – when the wheels were truly coming off – they managed to score more than once on six occasions. And that was already a massive decline on last season, when they scored 1.9 goals per game in the league – second only to Manchester City. They are at least creating chances and will surely start to take more of them in time. The problem is that Rangnick does not have time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not convinced MLS teams want to become a finishing school for Europe to a point where they can operate transfers at a profit, I think that's a general supporters misinterpretation of what's happening and I agree it'd be nearly impossible to do.

I think the goal for some clubs is just spend big money on players with resale value (as opposed to aging European players with limited resale value) so that they can make enough money on it to justify higher transfer expenses which means more money invested and raising the standard of the teams/league. It doesn't have to be profitable to make sense, the idea is focusing on players with resale value gives us more flexibility if things go wrong which derisks the signings significantly. Soteldo is the perfect example, guy did not work out but we weren't saddled with a contract and were able to leverage him to bring in another hopefully top level player. You wouldn't be able to do that if a top aging European player on a mega money contract didn't work as nobody else would want the contract never mind give you a transfer fee (or player equivalent) to take it

It's not about profit, but just about more options. Sign a player with resale value and if it works out incredibly well you make a huge profit (this is an outlier, and not the goal, it's a bonus if it happens). If he flops, you can offload the contract easily at worst and at best actually get some money back. Middling outcomes are you get a great MLS player for a long time (as they're younger) or they do okay and you either recoup the transfer fee, or most of it, or potentially swap them for someone else. Even beyond that you can get a few good years and some money back

The outcomes for the aging star are much lower. Best case scenario the guys a megastar for a few years (this, again, is an outlier) and then leaves on a free/retires after a huge investment. Middling scenario is the guys very good, justifies the expense and sells tickets before moving on likely on a free. Worst case is a disaster, though, you've an unhappy player and you've a contract nobody will touch which you either eat or you pay them several million dollars just to not play for you

Both have merits. I'm not complaining about TFC, as a fan I'll take Insigne over any signing in league history frankly, but I think people need to see the nuace of the re-sale value approach. It's not 'turn a profit or it has failed'
    Last edited by JoesphNdo; 02-11-2022 at 02:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The teams that have predominantly won MLS cup over the past decade have done so with high-priced talent in its prime or early golden years.

These clubs that are taking flyers on early stage talent, they can’t compete as consistently. I think that’s pretty well accepted.

For every time we see an Atlanta (or arguably NYCFC last year with a young striker up front), you could point to a LA, Toronto, or Seattle, 3-4x over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC II leading scorer last year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auro has posted his Insta goodbye

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off topic posts have been deleted. This thread is about the roster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Expect a lot of losing to start.

Oh I'd hate to break from tradition Lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So... I thought Manning's trip to eataly was more meet and greet than press the flesh.
    More than Insigne or Criscito and Destro whom both appeared to be locked-in.
    Hopefully someone else at another position perhaps; Bill can you say ter-zi-no des-tro?
    But... I am starting to suspect he may have some damage control to do with Destro.
    A bit of jilted love after apparently pursuing Belotti hard.
    I just hope it doesn't cost the team more than what it could have.
    From the various salary information available I've seen about Destro...
    like this... https://www.calciomercato.com/news/g...tipendio-60489
    Others most welcomed to comment and verify please.
    He may have been originally borderline DP/Tam similar to Salcedo.
    That sort of flexibility; of which I would think would have been interesting for the team.

Sidebar...

Criscito was always more in the DP range, but given his age, being on the descend...
    As well as some of the various salary information available I've seen about him...
    like this... https://www.calcioefinanza.it/2020/0...anto-guadagna/
    He too may be borderline DP/Tam similar to Salcedo; if the Dark Arts of MLS accounting can be maxed?
    Again, others most welcomed to comment and verify please.
    Also, some of this information indicates his contract was up in Y22 and not Y23.
    So relegation may have no impact on his contract.
    And he is actually available on a free; which I originally thought he was not.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 02-12-2022 at 01:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insigne scores on a PK in the early stages of Napoli's match vs. Inter Milan.

And it was mentioned on the broadcast (Fubo TV) that he will be leaving after this season for Toronto!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    Insigne scores on a PK in the early stages of Napoli's match vs. Inter Milan.

And it was mentioned on the broadcast (Fubo TV) that he will be leaving after this season for Toronto!
    Just surpassed Maradona.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Just surpassed Maradona.

Marek Hamsik is one of the most underrated players of the 2010's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Impressed with JMR at RB today and Nelson has looked good on the left side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it’s speculative to look into preseason form but the team is looking well organized

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jimenez is a good player, dangerous. Scored a nice one then almost created another with an excellent no-look pass.

EDIT: His timing to beat Chicago's backline on the break has been impeccable twice, as well.
    Last edited by jloome; 02-12-2022 at 02:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What formation did TFC run today? 4231? If BB is only going to play with one striker, I wonder if the club continues to pursue other significant striker targets or instead signs an MLS journeyman on the cheap to back up Jimenez until Akinola returns in the spring. Maybe they're considering loading up on Italian defenders instead, which wouldn't be a bad idea.
    Last edited by Bobo; 02-12-2022 at 05:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    What formation did TFC run today? 4231? If BB is only going to play with one striker, I wonder if the club continues to pursue other significant striker targets or instead signs an MLS journeyman on the cheap to back up Jimenez until Akinola returns in the spring. Maybe they're considering loading up on Italian defenders instead, which wouldn't be a bad idea.
    4-3-3, lone striker and two wingers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    4-3-3, lone striker and two wingers.

anyone find any highlights to see jimenez from today?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SneijderOranje View Post
    anyone find any highlights to see jimenez from today?
    https://twitter.com/Total_TFC/status...82033717186563

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to see the boys string some wins together. It's only preseason, but it's important to cultivate a positive collective mindset.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jiminez is in mid season form & should have a decent first few months. I fully expect him to be the most effective non-DP forward we have had ever (which given the bar is Robert Earnshaw, shouldn't be too difficult).

As with all signings from Europe, the issue will be load management once the summer hits to get him successful through until November. Only Poz has managed to have a stellar full season coming in straight from Europe (Seba wasn't a full starter with Juve) - and I think he paid the price in 2020.

Handled properly, 2023 is when we will see any Euro signings done this season be at their best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The lone benefit to guys like Insigne and Criscito coming in July is that the Serie A season ends May 22nd, so that should allow them to have a two or three week break before ramping the training back up.