Page 135 of 191 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139145185 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,050 of 5705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I could be wrong, my wife says it happens a lot, but I think the max he can be paid and still considered a u-22 player is 612k. We basically just freed that up by trading Delgado and his 580k.
    My understanding of the rule (having no "capologist" credentials) is that an U22 can be paid $200k above the max (so, he can be paid $812k) and regardless, his cap hit will only be $200k. Furthermore, there is no allowable application of xAM to either reduce the $200k to the minimum $150k, nor to pay him more than $812k.

As such, my guess is he is being paid $812k, his cap hit is $200k, and we still have all our xAM.

Obviously MLSE doesn't care about the actual cash wages they pay (which is ideal for supporters), they care about managing/optimizing cap space.

So, this signing strikes me as really smart and a great use of the U22 slot. I would think the only criticism could be in the form of there being a better player than Ayo available for the slot. Of that I have no idea. But for sure he has a good agent, and for sure he would have had options. So I don't believe TFC was ever looking at being able to sign him for less than the U22 max of $812k. In the absence of a better player, this looks pretty good.

So net net, I love the deal. A bird in the hand....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Is this the most active TFC off-season ever; roster wise?
    Hell, I don't know anymore... Mission Impossible... these lineups will self destruct by the time you read this...
    Maybe... with the expectation Salcedo is actually acquired...
    If Mavinga goes... Auro---Salcedo---O'Neill---Shaffelburg...
    If Mavinga stays... Auro---Salcedo---Mavinga---O'Neill...
    If Criscito comes... Auro/O'Neill...Salcedo---Criscito---Mavinga/Shaffelburg...
    ????????? I give up!
    Who knows at this point what we're going to look like. They still have more than a month until game one; we could sign five new players by then.

I will say all this TAM/GAM shit is annoying; it's clearly an attempt to avoid salary escalation, because if they just said "the cap is $25M for all players", squads would be built with much more balance, but the baseline and average salaries would rise considerably faster.

MLS is like CPL on speed; neither league's owners have figured out yet that football is very much a spend-money-to-make-money sort of venture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I have no problem with it. If he stays healthy then he is a somewhat known commodity and should be good for 7-12 goals. The alternative could be Gallardo #2.
    Yup. Agreed. TFC's track record is shite and LAFCs South American scouting is all done through Juan Pablo Angel. So unless Bob snuck a few files out with him...

Regardless, if they went out and paid $6M for some Argie kid or something. Others would be moaning about not spending that cash on a *Insert Euro Free Agent DP*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I would have said Miami is a good landing spot for Soteldo too (and I wouldn't rule that out yet, until this Salcedo thing is done, it isn't done).

The number of Venezuelans down there is in the hundreds of thousands.
    Hey Ensco how long have you been saying that someone in the midfield needs to move and it will be Marky? Nice of you not to gloat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogon View Post
    My understanding of the rule (having no "capologist" credentials) is that an U22 can be paid $200k above the max (so, he can be paid $812k) and regardless, his cap hit will only be $200k. Furthermore, there is no allowable application of xAM to either reduce the $200k to the minimum $150k, nor to pay him more than $812k.

As such, my guess is he is being paid $812k, his cap hit is $200k, and we still have all our xAM.

Obviously MLSE doesn't care about the actual cash wages they pay (which is ideal for supporters), they care about managing/optimizing cap space.

So, this signing strikes me as really smart and a great use of the U22 slot. I would think the only criticism could be in the form of there being a better player than Ayo available for the slot. Of that I have no idea. But for sure he has a good agent, and for sure he would have had options. So I don't believe TFC was ever looking at being able to sign him for less than the U22 max of $812k. In the absence of a better player, this looks pretty good.

So net net, I love the deal. A bird in the hand....
    These rules are so unbelievably contrived. If that is true, it is a bit better, but still doesn't fill me with joy. I still would rather pay Ayo as a GAM player for the year or two he stays here and spend the u-22 on getting someone else in. I guess we are just left to wait and see what we actually do with this cap space and imaginary money.

Obviously, what I want is not important in the grand scheme of things when it comes to the running of the franchise and I don't know any better than anyone else. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by MikeForbes; 01-20-2022 at 12:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we get Salcedo around what has been rumoured that would open up all three under 22 slots.

And yeah, the MLS rules are absolutely ridiculous.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogon View Post
    Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you think he is getting the maximum? He could be making less and it would still make sense to designate him under the U22 player status. For example, he could be making $500k.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    If we get Salcedo around what has been rumoured that would open up all three under 22 slots.

And yeah, the MLS rules are absolutely ridiculous.
    That will open up another can of worms though. If Salcedo is a player who makes 1.6 million, do you buy him down with GAM and open up that DP spot again for another proven player or do you go for those additional two u-22 spots?

MLS is the most confusing league in the world. I think some of these contrived rules stop people from being anything more than casual fans of the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    That will open up another can of worms though. If Salcedo is a player who makes 1.6 million, do you buy him down with GAM and open up that DP spot again for another proven player or do you go for those additional two u-22 spots?

MLS is the most confusing league in the world. I think some of these contrived rules stop people from being anything more than casual fans of the league.
    Yeah that’s an issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just an FYI

• Each club can have up to three U22 slots (so long as they don’t have three senior DPs over the max budget charge)
    • A player must be 22 years old or younger in the first calendar year he joins to be eligible for a U22 slot
    • A player can continue to occupy that slot until he turns 25
    • A player cannot exceed the maximum salary budget charge to be eligible
    • U22 players will hit the cap at $200,000 between ages 21-23 or $150,000 for ages 20 and younger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    just an FYI

• Each club can have up to three U22 slots (so long as they don’t have three senior DPs over the max budget charge)
    • A player must be 22 years old or younger in the first calendar year he joins to be eligible for a U22 slot
    • U22 players will hit the cap at $200,000 between ages 21-23 or $150,000 for ages 20 and younger
    Ah, didn't know that part.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Hey Ensco how long have you been saying that someone in the midfield needs to move and it will be Marky? Nice of you not to gloat
    Mostly because I am not that happy about it. I guess I understand it and a lot depends on how the money is used.

Feels like having an old friend moving away. He was such an important player in most of our really big games.

But a lesson of the last two years is to get ahead of the curve, change is inevitable, and we have to say goodbye at some point.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just an FYI

Small note on bullet four. If it's a homegrown player (as Ayo is) they can exceed the max budget charge by $200k. I think this provides some parity with transfers from out of MLS since the transfer fee is not applied to the cap hit for U22 players.

That said, I doubt Ayo is at the max hit. I imagine the team would want some flexibility to take him off the U22 slot if we have a potential international target in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, didn't know that part.
    it sucks cause I liked the Foden idea

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Is this the most active TFC off-season ever; roster wise?
    Not even close.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Largely because whether he makes $400k or $812k, there is zero impact on the cap hit if he's a designated U22. MLSE has never been frugal with wages. Quite the opposite really. And they would pay more if the rules allowed it. And Ayo would have had options. My guess is money was never an issue in negotiations. The challenge would have been convincing him to commit to another 4 years. I suspect there is a gentleman's agreement to allow him to leave if a meaningful European offer were to come in, and that would have sealed the deal. But of course, I'm speculating

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The league should really have nothing to do with Homegrowns beyond designating them as such. They shouldn't count towards the cap for the entirety of their careers and should be entitled to whatever pay their club can demonstrate itself to the league as capable of paying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a random thought. Is there a direct ccorrelation between a players salary and their transfer worth? This was talked about in a Que Golazo podcast (Conrad, Heath and Dero as guest).

The though being that the more you pay your young kids appropriate compensation and reward them the more you’ll be able to charge if there is interest from abroad. This would be a win win situation. Young players are valued and rewarded and then the team could make more off of them later. Assuming that is true, I’m all for paying our young players more and have no issues with them taking up a u22 slot.

If I recall correctly, when Davies transferred to Bayern he signed a contract at that time. Shortly thereafter they agreed to a new long term contract that probably also increased his wages as they could see the talent they had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal Impact B joins the PLSQ (Quebec's L1O)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doneil Henry is on trial at Real Salt Lake. So he's off the list of the potential CMNT player Manning mentioned (Garrett McLaughlin from TFC2 is also on trial there)
    https://www.rslsoapbox.com/2022/1/20...-invitees?s=09

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Amateur Instagram sleuthing:

Players confirmed at camp: Westberg, O'Neill, Petrasso, Auro, Bradley, Osorio, Okello, Pozuelo, Priso, Shaff, Achara, Perruzza, JMR, Akinola, Nelson, Bono, Franklin

Players not in Cali photos (yet): Singh, Mavinga, Lawrence*, Delgado*, Altidore*, Soteldo*

*Rumoured/Expected to leave team
    "Bold=new additions from my last post"

Newest TFC video.

Kobe Franklin is visible at the 9 second mark, so his signing should be announced any day now. Anyone catch any other players/potential trialists?
    Last edited by rydermike; 01-20-2022 at 06:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it sucks cause I liked the Foden idea
    Yeah it’s a real bummer we can’t get him because of these obscure rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Mostly because I am not that happy about it. I guess I understand it and a lot depends on how the money is used.

Feels like having an old friend moving away. He was such an important player in most of our really big games.

But a lesson of the last two years is to get ahead of the curve, change is inevitable, and we have to say goodbye at some point.
    Agreed about his importance to the team on the pitch. But one or two of Marky Oso and Poz really had to go. Its the practical reality as hey are all proven starters. Must be banking on Priso too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

U-22 aka the FC Dallas rule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone somehow figured out that DeAndre Kerr is in camp with TFC. Former TFC academy guy from what I gather.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post

Newest TFC video.

Kobe Franklin is visible at the 9 second mark, so his signing should be announced any day now. Anyone catch any other players/potential trialists?
    someone mentioned on another site that Deandre Kerr may be at camp.he may be another homegrown or on a trial

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah it’s a real bummer we can’t get him because of these obscure rules.
    We need an O 38 classification so we can go after Ronaldo or Messi in due course. Barcelona just resigned Alves at age 38, so I figure it can work in MLS.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salcedo pulled himself out of training due to "discomfort" today for Tigres.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kerr has only been at Syracuse for two years and was in the TFC academy prior.

https://cuse.com/sports/mens-soccer/...re--kerr/20718
    Last edited by Red CB Toronto; 01-20-2022 at 03:59 PM.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!