Page 17 of 191 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You dont sign a player to try him at a position...Fraser has played in the midfield and at cb...they know what he brings so either they want him or they dont...at 100k it would be interesting to have him as a backup and occasional starter...though some youngsters looked as or more interesting...he wasnt a starter on another team that missed playoffs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    You dont sign a player to try him at a position...Fraser has played in the midfield and at cb...they know what he brings so either they want him or they dont...at 100k it would be interesting to have him as a backup and occasional starter...though some youngsters looked as or more interesting...he wasnt a starter on another team that missed playoffs
    I would consider him for the Zavaleta spot on the CB depth chart and that's about it for now. He hasn't earned more than that at this point. If he was good with that then sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Curtis was relieved of his duties in June. It just wasn't announced until yesterday.

I hope MLSE is learning something about the dysfunctionality of these President/GM setups and this gets resolved now.
    Oh I hear you, he was a dead man walking. But keep in mind he was also out there in the press providing quotes.

He might of had no power but still very much had the ability to confuse people with his messaging (which he did)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    That announcement sounds like he is no longer with the organization as well..
    He forced their hand to remove the interim tag by saying he publicly that he was treating it as if it was to the end of the year. I thought when he did it that it was ballsy, but also that Manning might remember it and take offense to being dictated to.

Having said that, it may also have just been complete housecleaning. His contract was probably year-to-year, he has a great resume. I imagine he’ll bounce back fairly quickly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He forced their hand to remove the interim tag by saying he publicly that he was treating it as if it was to the end of the year. I thought when he did it that it was ballsy, but also that Manning might remember it and take offense to being dictated to.

Having said that, it may also have just been complete housecleaning. His contract was probably year-to-year, he has a great resume. I imagine he’ll bounce back fairly quickly.
    It was weird Perez wasn’t announced in that strange firing Armas press conference until, was it Molinaro? asked toward the end ‘so who is the manager?’ and Perez was mentioned with neither interim nor not interim as if they hadn’t had time to think of it. Later, when asked if he was interim, Perez said something like ‘I’ll coach until I’m told otherwise’. Which made sense if he wasn’t given a job title. Botched by the club very much, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    There was little chance of him staying.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully Dwyer is also gone, as is Zavaleta, Gallardo, Omar, Mullinho: that is almost 2 mil right there that could be spent more judiciouslly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Omar is 1,000,000; Zavaleta 100,000. I know which is value for money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I have no issue with keeping Zavaleta. He is what he is and occasionally holds it together. We can’t turnover every player on the roster and Dunn, Singh, and Romeo all seem nowhere near ready.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luanda View Post
    Hopefully Dwyer is also gone, as is Zavaleta, Gallardo, Omar, Mullinho: that is almost 2 mil right there that could be spent more judiciouslly.
    agree 100% and not just for the cap space they take. The spots and the minutes they play only takes valuable development minutes away from the academy kids coming through. They fill a role but for the life of me I don't understand how a Dwyer or Mullins offer anything that Peruzza or Nelson don't? Even if the latter don't score any goals, there's upside with them that the other two don't have. Stop signing guys like that. Either sign someone better or play the kids. Shaffelburg was the same and eventually broke through. Same with Osorio. It's the same thing with Marshall-Rutty, Priso, Okello and Dunne too. If they all get minutes at least one of them will become a decent starter ...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    So this isn’t number one on my list of things that were obviously screwed up in 2021, just because the list is long, but …

Why on earth wasn’t DeLeon traded mid season to a US playoff team? Even if it was just for a bag of balls. Or released.

Keeping a decent veteran, who is an anti vaxxer!, around, to ride the pines! On a last place team, has to be one of the dumbest things I have seen in years.

(EDIT: I am not even going to fix the grammar in that sentence - I am just gobsmacked when I think about this)

Was anyone doing anything in the FO after Armas and Curtis were pushed out? Or were they just too busy chasing rainbows and unicorns in Italy?
    Last edited by ensco; 11-23-2021 at 07:09 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait

Deleon had an interview & there hasn't been a locker room clean out interview day yet?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Wait

Deleon had an interview & there hasn't been a locker room clean out interview day yet?

It’s called “AMF Day”

(if you don’t know the phrase I will spot you “Adios”)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way they treated DeLeon was mean. He has been a good servant to the club, and while I profoundly disagree over the vaccination - it is to protect others, thats why we vaccinate - he should have been allowed to go to a USA based team particularly when we didn't play him, as he clearly wanted. If the locker room knew he was being treated this badly they would have been very angry indeed - a sense of solidarity takes over when management mistreats someone this way. JLoome for a long time has been saying the club was arrogant - this certainly speaks of arrogant management I have the power so screw you". A great and well run club would have found a way to treat him better and to accommodate his desire to be with his family in the USA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, Zavs has found another gear and finally seems serviceable and at 100k? not the worst in the world. He's captaining El Salvador, he seems to actually be getting some confidence under him... let's keep Nephew around.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Oh I hear you, he was a dead man walking. But keep in mind he was also out there in the press providing quotes.

He might of had no power but still very much had the ability to confuse people with his messaging (which he did)
    This is the problem with working notice. It’s good in that it preserves dignity for the employee, but bad in that “dead man walking “ employees can do weird stuff, especially around things like messaging, during the notice period.

Sometimes it’s just better to walk the guy out the door the same day you make the call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=MightyDM;1947965]The way they treated DeLeon was mean. He has been a good servant to the club, and while I profoundly disagree over the vaccination - it is to protect others, thats why we vaccinate - he should have been allowed to go to a USA based team particularly when we didn't play him, as he clearly wanted. If the locker room knew he was being treated this badly they would have been very angry indeed - a sense of solidarity takes over when management mistreats someone this way. JLoome for a long time has been saying the club was arrogant - this certainly speaks of arrogant management I have the power so screw you". A great and well run club would have found a way to treat him better and to accommodate his desire to be with his family in the USA.[/QUOTE

MLS was talking proudly about being 95% vaxxed as early as mid summer. It might not have been possible for any MLS GM to bring in a not vaxxed, anti vax player. And if they released him he’d be without pay. Not sure he’d go for that.

It will be interesting to see where he lands, if anywhere.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 11-24-2021 at 01:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that Deleon was quite good often when called upon. It surprised me a bit, but then Vanney knew him well and had a set and effective way of playing him. Rarely as a right back as he had been used in DC.

I had the feeling at the time that a signing like Dwyer was pure lunacy based on reputation and no real knowledge of him. A weird abstraction going on in the front office that probably had to do somewhat with the way Curtis worked.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot house thinking was what led to Curtis hiring Armas & signing Dwyer & possibly Soteldo (although he was on the radar for a couple of years).

When you are stuck for months away from scrutiny & away from the ability to get away, people can make poor decisions. Its hard to relate to because most of us during covid experienced the exact opposite situation - work life balance went the other way for us.

I think TFC still hasn't fully adjusted because Toronto hasn't fully gotten out of the bunker down because of covid mindset yet.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    The way they treated DeLeon was mean.
    We have no idea what went down. For all we know Curtis could have been trying to trade him to a US team and nobody wanted to pick up his salary. Everything you are reading on this board is pure speculation, nobody, including DeLeon has said anything, and DeLeon has not complained about how he was treated, he only said that his family had moved (which a lot of families did to deal with the pandemic).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soteldo, Gallardo and Auro already on the way back to South America. Westberg already back in France. I'm guessing Poz may have already hightailed it back to Seville. Could be a sparse media day today.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    We have no idea what went down. For all we know Curtis could have been trying to trade him to a US team and nobody wanted to pick up his salary. Everything you are reading on this board is pure speculation, nobody, including DeLeon has said anything, and DeLeon has not complained about how he was treated, he only said that his family had moved (which a lot of families did to deal with the pandemic).
    Deleon clearly did complain about how he was treated. He just refused to be more specific than talking about reduced playing time and the anti vaxxer stuff (which I thought Davidson allowed to stand with too much implied sympathy).

They didn’t need another party, they could have just cut him. Which I expected long ago, frankly. This is just really basic stuff.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-24-2021 at 08:56 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal managed to trade away Hurtado to Columbus after he said he didn't want to get vaxxed, so i'm sure there would have been a team in the league that would have thought about taking DeLeon too.

Anyways it's a shame, I thought he was a pretty hard worker. Got a few nice goals and filled a bit of a role. Don't agree with the not being vaxxed but it's his choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot house thinking was what led to Curtis hiring Armas & signing Dwyer & possibly Soteldo (although he was on the radar for a couple of years).

When you are stuck for months away from scrutiny & away from the ability to get away, people can make poor decisions. Its hard to relate to because most of us during covid experienced the exact opposite situation - work life balance went the other way for us.

I think TFC still hasn't fully adjusted because Toronto hasn't fully gotten out of the bunker down because of covid mindset yet.
    I don’t think Curtis has every faced scrutiny in a major way prior to arriving here. Which is part of why I think he was such a bad fit for this market.

Strikes me as the type of guy who is generally right about the details but misses the bigger picture and otherwise drives people mad by not communicating and being too cagey.

I think about the Lawrence signing and Solteldo. Both good players, both also didn’t address the biggest needs the team had in attack and defence. It’s like he didn’t understand what he was building and was stuck in the weeds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really hope the Soteldo stuff works itself out so he can stay. The dude is dead passionate and in the right set up could put up 20 assists a season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very interesting take and maybe true about TFC. But there seems to me - also in New Jersey - to have always been something hothouse about Curtis’ thinking. But I was wrong about the physical distance. Forgot that Dwyer trained with TFC in March 2021... so Curtis and Armas both had a good look at him post injury. Might make that signing even stranger. Boyd too had the hothouse feel. A kind of blindness to what’s actually happening, perhaps.

It’s possible that Dwyer was promised a contract before he arrived to train. They had to clear a roster spot before he could sign.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 11-24-2021 at 09:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just had a flashback that scares me a little... Remember prior to the "Bloody Big Deal" we had a turnover that was almost 100% of the team from year to year.

I hope with jettisoning so many players we aren't making a return to the "Churn and Burn" method of roster building....