Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MLS Match Day 27 - Cinci @ TFC Wednesday Sept 29 7:08pm - I don't know the meaning of

much

I don't know the right expressions
    I don't have too much intuition
    Or too many credentials

Yup, its the 2 worst teams in the league....again

Have at It People

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mad at myself because this was a better choice that I didn't think of until I saw a tweet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jaap Stam was relieved of his duties as CFC's manager this morning. Cinci could have that new manager bump for Wednesday.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this game actually happening, TFC at this point feels so dead. We are in store another empty BMO Field. Lots of people I know are bailing, even the dedicated. Plus there is a pretty big baseball game going on that night too, not that far down on the road ( :

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Is this game actually happening, TFC at this point feels so dead. We are in store another empty BMO Field. Lots of people I know are bailing, even the dedicated. Plus there is a pretty big baseball game going on that night too, not that far down on the road ( :
    I'll be there woohoo!!!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Jaap Stam was relieved of his duties as CFC's manager this morning. Cinci could have that new manager bump for Wednesday.
    I don't think Tyrone Marshall will be giving that roster much bumping.

They're going to steal our wooden spoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it just me, or does Cinci thus far remind you of TFC circa 2007-2012?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I don't think Tyrone Marshall will be giving that roster much bumping.

They're going to steal our wooden spoon.
    Interestingly, Vanney's Galaxy are sorta collapsing. Seven games without a win, shutout multiple times including 2-0 to Austin.

Sort of reminds me what happened to us last year around this time. Is he getting tactically figured out? They have a weak defense and have relied on offense and ball possession for wins. Might be you can't play a possession game with a weak back line against pressing teams.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Sort of reminds me what happened to us last year around this time. Is he getting tactically figured out? They have a weak defense and have relied on offense and ball possession for wins. Might be you can't play a possession game with a weak back line against pressing teams.
    This is a big part of it for sure. We even had problems with good pressing teams in 2017 (NYRB). I think another part is that the team, at least ours back in his time, got lost in pointless possession and now it seems they're doing it too. I swear there's at least double the sideways and backwards passes compared to forward.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is a big part of it for sure. We even had problems with good pressing teams in 2017 (NYRB). I think another part is that the team, at least ours back in his time, got lost in pointless possession and now it seems they're doing it too. I swear there's at least double the sideways and backwards passes compared to forward.

Vanney's build up was great, but his TFC team had no clue what to do in the final 18.

I wish Javier had more time and a full lineup to show what he can do - Although I don't think he's an ideal manager, I do think he has a deep tactical arsenal that he can deploy.

The last two games I've seen what the pieces we have are capable of and what we are missing.
    Whereas most of the season, we've just seen everything play like garbage.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 09-28-2021 at 08:58 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Vanney's build up was great, but his TFC team had no clue what to do in the final 18.

I wish Javier had more time and a full lineup to show what he can do - Although I don't think he's an ideal manager, I do think he has a deep tactical arsenal that he can deploy.

The last two games I've seen what the pieces we have are capable of and what we are missing.
    Whereas most of the season, we've just seen everything play like garbage.
    I think if we hire an estabished MLS manager like Bradley then he is done. But I think if we go the Pirlo-type route I could see Manning try to convince him to stay as top assistant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think if we hire an estabished MLS manager like Bradley then he is done. But I think if we go the Pirlo-type route I could see Manning try to convince him to stay as top assistant.
    Yeah, I'm not sure they -- or any of us really -- have enough faith to take a risk on the guy full-time. But I think Jabbronies might be right, we might be missing out on a good one if we don't give him a shot. Some of the stuff he's tried when things were dire was just really, really clever.

I mean, for Nashville, he obviously studied the shit out of their press, realized it relied on their midfield choking our midfield by having a higher-than-normal defensive line for a pressing team. Then we just... bypassed the midfield, completely, making it a speed game, with our forwards faster than theirs.

I called him cowardly against Colorado, but it was probably just pragmatic. They're good all over the pitch and have a balanced attack with some buildup. So he played a heavily defensive game, at altitude, and tried to steal a point late.

And he's made Omar look not completely inept, too. When Mavinga went out, he had two extra men dropping back into the line so we were basically defending with six at the back, and they had no answer but to try and ping crosses to 5-foot-fuck-all Michael Barrios.

He seems clever and he seems to have their heads straight. Given a proper depth of lineup to work with, a top striker, a solid line leader? I think he might make us very hard to beat.

But that's all "maybe, maybe, maybe" and the front office is going to be terrified into doing something like offering Bob Bradley a shit ton. I'm not sure he's all he's cracked up to be. He traded away multiple key components when they had the league's best depth and now they're using Raheem Edwards as an emergency forward. He let Walker Zimmerman, one of the best center halfs in the league, go to Nashville. He let Mark Anthony Kaye, one of the best defensive midfielders, go to Colorado. These were moves that reek of not liking the personality fit, despite the fact that his teams were winning.

I'm sure he'd turn us into a decent team, but I'm not sure we're ever be great again if Bradley came in.

Maybe if Bruce Arena wins in New England -- where he has proven, without a doubt, that he is one of the best MLS-style coaches ever, maybe the best, we should just throw the kitchen sink at him, break the million mark.

But if we're rebuilding half the roster anyway, it sort of makes sense to try Perez when first-year expectations will be tempered by having a new team and the need for them to gel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But if we're rebuilding half the roster anyway, it sort of makes sense to try Perez when first-year expectations will be tempered by having a new team and the need for them to gel.
    I'm not sold that this is happening. I think we're re-tooling instead solely based on the Giovinco rumor and the heat Manning felt this season. I expect some expiring contracted players to be re-signed, possibly even Gonzalez. I say we run it back one more time.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think if we hire an estabished MLS manager like Bradley then he is done.
    That ain't happening. An Established manager coming to TFC would have to be someone who knows how to run a big club and a proven winner - Bradley, Arena; Schmetzer.

I just don't see them leaving their current clubs.

But I think if we go the Pirlo-type route I could see Manning try to convince him to stay as top assistant.

Urrgghh I really hope we don't go down the Pirlo route. Have we not learned anything from every other former Euro Star turned MLS coach failure?

Winter; Stam; Viera; Henry; Gullit; De Boer; Heinze; Neville...

They either don't want to be here or they are just shit managers who can't adapt to MLS
    Last edited by jabbronies; 09-28-2021 at 03:37 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah, I'm not sure they -- or any of us really -- have enough faith to take a risk on the guy full-time. But I think Jabbronies might be right, we might be missing out on a good one if we don't give him a shot. Some of the stuff he's tried when things were dire was just really, really clever.
    Let's not forget our Gregfather was a nobody when he took the job. But he had the right head for the job. I think Javier might be of similar stock. Just a very tactical guy who can manage his way through anything.

The last few games, I've been impressed. We are essentially seeing what we have put to good use - the missing pieces are obvious, but the things we do have are working.

Yes we are shit in the attack, but that obvious - look at who we have as striker options. and our Defense is garbage - with that being said he's getting the good pieces we have doing positive things. Our mids filling as much of the holes as they can and we come away with a clean sheet, this after a midweek match where our best pieces were playing.

Our attack is shit, but our build up isn't always terrible. We get these one off chances from decent plays and runs.

Let's see how he manages the rest of the season with even less. I won't be surprised if he's back next year - especially considering there are no better managers on the market.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only way Bob Bradley comes to TFC, and I see this as exactly what will happen, is as President/GM, replacing Manning, with Michael Bradley as manager.

You pull the next wunderkid out of the league office, like Bez in 2013, to be the capologist, and presto… “Bob's your Uncle”.

I wish there was a way to bet on this.
    Last edited by ensco; 09-28-2021 at 04:08 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The only way Bob Bradley comes to TFC, and I see this as exactly what will happen, is as President/GM, replacing Manning, with Michael Bradley as manager.

I wish there was a way to bet on this.

This is a 4-5 year bet lol

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    That ain't happening. An Established manager coming to TFC would have to be someone who knows how to run a big club and a proven winner - Bradley, Arena; Schmetzer.

I just don't see them leaving their current clubs.

Bradley's contract is done at the end of this season
    &

Vela is leaving

&

they are treading water in terms of quality

I think Bradley might be available. Whether he is the right choice (somebody like the one DCU has would be better in my mind) is another thing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW

Cinci flew in this afternoon

My Dog is not impressed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So it appears both Maving and Zavaleta are out. I'm guessing we'll either see a 433 with Gonzalez and Lawrence at centre half, or a three man back with Lawrence, Gonzalez, Auro, Richie on one flank, Shaff on the other.

But given our lack of bench depth probably the former.

Achara and Soteldo up top or Shaff/Soteldo/Achara if it's a 433.

As I pointed out in another thread, Soteldo's goal-to-shot ratio is .05% (2 goals on 38 shots), which if you go by the EPL as a marker would make him the worst striker in the league. That's despite an S-O-T of 37%, which is average-to-good for most leagues. So he makes terrible shot choices, or can't pick a corner to save his life.

How it compares in MLS I'm not sure, as they don't have combined stats anywhere that I can find.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    FWIW

Cinci flew in this afternoon

My Dog is not impressed

Your dog looks slightly more impressed this week.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what is the over/under on attendance Wednesday night? The Jays had 28,768 on Tuesday night and will have the pretty much the same Wednesday. I will be the BMO though.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what is the over/under on attendance Wednesday night? The Jays had 28,768 on Tuesday night and will have the pretty much the same Wednesday. I will be the BMO though.

i will be surprised if it is anything over 8,000

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

&

Vela is leaving

&

I think Bradley might be available. Whether he is the right choice (somebody like the one DCU has would be better in my mind) is another thing.
    Bradley will be available. If LAFC intended to keep him they would have extended him with 3 months to go on his contract. He is done there. At the moment he is rumored to go to either TFC or the Fire and only a crazy person would chose the Fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is done there. At the moment he is rumored to go to either TFC or the Fire and only a crazy person would chose the Fire.
    Sources?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apropos of nothing much…

Anybody else still haunted by the sound of Tyrone Marshall breaking Kenny Cooper's leg?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

under 1000 fans for sure. my guess is about....648

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

&
    Vela is leaving
    &

The thing that concerns me with Bradley is I feel like he would be a 1 run guy. and if we got into trouble, would he jump ship.

I mean, why leave LA? i thought they were a well run club?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    Sources?
    The Athletic have speculated that IF he leaves LAFC, TFC and the Fire are the frontrunners for him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    Sources?
    Brian Dunseth Tweeted that a few days ago but said TFC is the favorite.