Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    We're so bad that we've reached the point where making mistakes that go unpunished and mediocre performances can start to impress (in terms of the players and coaching/management). Everyone should bear that in mind when evaluating the last bit of the season.

I've been contemplating this. I think the approach of 3 mobile attackers cutting lanes can be successful in MLS up to a certain point. What we see in Shaff, Soteldo & Achara is a pretty standard attacking approach in this league. Where it breaks down is when people can't get the ball to that front 3 or teams can't get the counter attacks started.

Nobody is saying we are seeing a Toronto version of the Liverpool attack quality here. What we are seeing is MLS standard attack quality. Can work - doesn't always.

I would say that Shaffs movement has significantly improved & Soteldo quick passing is making a difference & Achara is taking up space he hasn't always occupied causing defences to have to think a bit.

Its good for 2022 but its not "keep Perez" time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I've been contemplating this. I think the approach of 3 mobile attackers cutting lanes can be successful in MLS up to a certain point. What we see in Shaff, Soteldo & Achara is a pretty standard attacking approach in this league. Where it breaks down is when people can't get the ball to that front 3 or teams can't get the counter attacks started.

Nobody is saying we are seeing a Toronto version of the Liverpool attack quality here. What we are seeing is MLS standard attack quality. Can work - doesn't always.

I would say that Shaffs movement has significantly improved & Soteldo quick passing is making a difference & Achara is taking up space he hasn't always occupied causing defences to have to think a bit.

Its good for 2022 but its not "keep Perez" time.
    I think there are a few different ways we could build / improve on this. 1) we absolutely have to find a striker who scores in buckets. Minimally gets us to 10 goals a year but has a chance to be one of the best in MLS and bag 15 plus. 2) make sure there is competition for spots up top and squad rotation 3) make sure the midfield is solid and don’t be afraid to upgrade that area of the roster if performance slips. Bradley, Delgado, or Osorio are all looking a little less dominant than they used to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also remember that Akinola has to come back and will likely start up top

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's not ready to be our number one striker.

We should be looking for someone who can challenge for scoring titles. With a great player like Poz setting him up, he's probabyl a 10-15 a year guy now, which is basically what we got out of Altidore most years. But if we end up buying out Jozy or Poz, or even have high TAM from Omar leaving or being downgraded, we need to get a guy who's lethal from a speed, positioning and finishing perspective.

We should look to Mexico and Colombia. Both have guys we could land in TAM area that would be good for 15-20. Brazil's money situation is dire and there are guys in the local city leagues and second division that could score 20 in MLS.

Also, Eastern Europe and the Balkan. Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland... there are a lot of leagues around the same quality as MLS where the pay isn't as good or consistent. There are usually one or two cheap players a year in Finland worth looking at.

We've always had a connection-based track record of transfers, guys who know guys. We miss out on players from the broader football world, and yet other MLS clubs seem to have at least started figuring this out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would make him the sub option. Given his injury history and other factors I wouldn’t hang out on this bring our goal scoring threat

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I would make him the sub option. Given his injury history and other factors I wouldn’t hang out on this bring our goal scoring threat

Agreed. I see a DP striker as our first option - with Ayo and Achara being the subs off the bench. (no more Mullins or Dwyer)
    If either Ayo or Achara start to show big time promise, change the formation to allow 2 strikers on the field.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see Achara as more of a winger that gets into the box. In fact, last year I was hoping to see him on the left side of Jozy. (that got shattered) I am just glad he is being effective on the right, but keep in mind our last game was against a bottom feeder. We definitely will need a first team Striker. But it is at least good seeing some chemistry in the final 3rd and Shaf gaining confidence.
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 10-02-2021 at 07:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Agreed. I see a DP striker as our first option - with Ayo and Achara being the subs off the bench. (no more Mullins or Dwyer)
    If either Ayo or Achara start to show big time promise, change the formation to allow 2 strikers on the field.
    Strongly disagree. TAM is the right way to go here. We do not need another player that feels obligated to start at the behest of a good young player (see: Jozy vs Ayo, 2020). There needs to be competition and a decent TAM guy will net 10-15 easy (which is what Jozy did for us in his best years).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strongly disagree. TAM is the right way to go here. We do not need another player that feels obligated to start at the behest of a good young player (see: Jozy vs Ayo, 2020). There needs to be competition and a decent TAM guy will net 10-15 easy (which is what Jozy did for us in his best years).
    i would say we don’t need another coach / management team that cannot tell players the truth about their performances and the right place on the roster based on actual form. Or heck, makes signings that underperform where these issues crop up in the first place. Nobody every questioned Giovinco’s place in the lineup.

While there are budget options in this league that score goals they are still pretty hard to come by. Your DP slot is still the safest bet. I would guess when someone raises MLS cup this year, it’s going to be behind a high priced strike force and not one of the teams who is getting a lot of value out of a lower paid option as their primary goal scorer.

Now all that said, there should still be room for Ayo to show what he’s got. There’s enough fixture congestion now where a 2nd choice striker should still be getting significant minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What we need is someone to score goals when we absolutely must have them, as Gio and Jozy did in 2016 - 2018. That’s quite a different thing to a 15 goal a year player.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So what do you do with your other DP slot?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Transfer fee + wages isn't going to net you a 10-15 goal scorer buying from outside MLS at TAM level (unless your scouting network is really really good at finding hidden gems)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano