Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 613reppingTFC View Post
    For anyone that did end up going. I realize it wasn't a large crowd but how was getting in with the new requirements of the Vax passport and ID and such?
    I had a photocopy of my vax receipts and DL in hand, took all of 10 seconds for the checker to verify, they had extra staff to do it, checked before getting to the metal detectors, not much of a hassle at all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The weather, mid week & a crap TFC team during Covid.

Take look at the hardest of hard core in the South - 10% of what it was in the last few weeks - people didn't go.

This isn't on management. They could have made the seats $5 each & people still wouldn't have gone.
    People in the south seemed to migrate to 111 in the second half, the roof there works better than the spoiler over the south stand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something is happening here , yes the team is crap but my God 600 people at a TFC game ? Looking at the next home game less than what 1000 tickets sold it seems. This is getting beyond embarrassing and very concerning for the future of this club , forget about all the excuses. These are all excuses I’ve heard all before in my long history of following pro soccer here in Toronto. Excuses I heard before past teams went to that graveyard of pro soccer that many former Toronto pro soccer teams are now resting in that graveyard. Let’s hope I’m wrong and all these excuses are the reason that no one is showing up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For anyone that did end up going. I realize it wasn't a large crowd but how was getting in with the new requirements of the Vax passport and ID and such?
    Didn't really add any time. It just added a third sequential inspection, with extra staff doing it.

So instead of just the ticket check, there's now the ticket check, metal detector, and first the vaxx check. All by different staff.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW - announced crowd was 3651

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't really add any time. It just added a third sequential inspection, with extra staff doing it.

So instead of just the ticket check, there's now the ticket check, metal detector, and first the vaxx check. All by different staff.

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I didn’t go because of the pandemic. Vax passports will help but activities with groups need to be “worth it”. Watching our dreadful last place team isn’t exactly compelling.
    It wasn't a league game. This is a more exciting cup game. Win or go home.

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    People in the south seemed to migrate to 111 in the second half, the roof there works better than the spoiler over the south stand
    First time the roof at the south end has failed so miserable. Depends which way the wind is blowing.

211 was bone dry!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Something is happening here , yes the team is crap but my God 600 people at a TFC game ? Looking at the next home game less than what 1000 tickets sold it seems. This is getting beyond embarrassing and very concerning for the future of this club , forget about all the excuses. These are all excuses I’ve heard all before in my long history of following pro soccer here in Toronto. Excuses I heard before past teams went to that graveyard of pro soccer that many former Toronto pro soccer teams are now resting in that graveyard. Let’s hope I’m wrong and all these excuses are the reason that no one is showing up.
    Our side was competing for the MLS Cup just two years ago, our third trip to the Cup in four years.

The weather was total crap yesterday, with rain coming down all day, and a chill in the air we hadn't felt since spring. Not to mention a lot of hesitancy out there with the pandemic still going on.

We'll be fine. This club ain't goin' nowhere!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    Our side was competing for the MLS Cup just two years ago, our third trip to the Cup in four years.

The weather was total crap yesterday, with rain coming down all day, and a chill in the air we hadn't felt since spring. Not to mention a lot of hesitancy out there with the pandemic still going on.

We'll be fine. This club ain't goin' nowhere!
    We have supported teams that were down but had potential. This current team, no one has faith in management, there's an interim coach that hasn't improved the results plus all the old veteran players keep getting trudged out so not exactly any hope for the future if the young players don't even play.

So whats the point? This management team that has crashed this team will continue to make mistakes while continuing to trot out the veteran lineup. They're not building to anything.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    I had a photocopy of my vax receipts and DL in hand, took all of 10 seconds for the checker to verify, they had extra staff to do it, checked before getting to the metal detectors, not much of a hassle at all

Exactly, same for me, no problem & quick. Only minor issue was they didn't have enough light for the vax checkers when I came in to the main (north) gate, so he had a hard time reading my printed certificate. Hopefully they'll have better lighting for them if/when the crowd is bigger.

I plan to go to all games from now on. I enjoyed it last night, the weather made it an adventure. We were moving around the west side to stay dry as the wind shifted.

In terms of not going because of the pandemic, and activities with groups needing to be worth it: you're not going to find a better physically-distanced event! You could pick any seat you want, and sit 30 metres away from anyone else if you wanted to!

RE why don't we have anything useful for vax certificates yet, Ogthedim nailed it: they had something ready for that in January, part of the vaccine booking portal, but they killed it. Oh and concerning needing a "made in Ontario" solution, that's a new thing. For the vaccine booking portal they could have had a much better system, literally made in Ontario by an Ontario company. Nova Scotia used it and it was great. Instead Ontario opted for a crap system from the US which totally failed under load, was missing a ton of important features, and was bypassed by a significant portion of the Ontario vaccine bookings (pharmacies; hospitals; some public health units, etc.) leading to an uncoordinated mess.

Ottawa-designed vaccine system praised in N.S., envied in Ontario | Ottawa Citizen
    https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...haotic-ontario
    Last edited by Auzzy; 09-23-2021 at 11:41 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say this - based on my experience with Ontario provincial bureaucracies over the last 20 years, the decision to say "no thank you, we will create our own" to an offered solution is endemic to the public service. They simply do not believe anything can be good unless they set the variables & protocols & guidelines for creation first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say this - based on my experience with Ontario provincial bureaucracies over the last 20 years, the decision to say "no thank you, we will create our own" to an offered solution is endemic to the public service. They simply do not believe anything can be good unless they set the variables & protocols & guidelines for creation first.
    I spent most of my pandemic days in Nova Scotia. I province I lived for most of my life before locating to Ontario.

For context, the healthcare system on the East Coast is paper thin and the government historically has been beyond myopic, budget strapped, unable to change, and beholden to a few wealthy families that dominate the region.

I am shocked how much better the NS government handled this whole process vs. Ontario. I could book my vaccine appointment online or over the phone through a single, centrally run database. I had full disclosure about which vaccine I would get and getting to a local location was very achievable. There were basically zero hiccups with booking and it didn’t take a lot of time or energy to do so. My vaccine record is available online and very easy to obtain.

How does Ontario, a much wealthier province, screw things up so royally? I can’t get over how disorganized it is here, now that I’ve moved back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A big part of it is the rules around external procurement. You can't simply say, company XX already designed a great product, let's go with it. That would be an untendered contract, and other companies (often the public and opposition parties too) would go nuts. Basically any external contract has to go out for bids except in very very rare circumstances that are extremely difficult to justify. All the scrutiny on government spending from the last 20 years has, somewhat ironically, hamstrung governments from being able to make quick (and sensible) decisions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My experience has shown the same, plus add in some nepotism and personal gain.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    A big part of it is the rules around external procurement. You can't simply say, company XX already designed a great product, let's go with it. That would be an untendered contract, and other companies (often the public and opposition parties too) would go nuts. Basically any external contract has to go out for bids except in very very rare circumstances that are extremely difficult to justify. All the scrutiny on government spending from the last 20 years has, somewhat ironically, hamstrung governments from being able to make quick (and sensible) decisions.
    I know something about federal procurement (not provincial). The feds have solved for this easily by having accelerated RFP processes and evaluation systems that give high marks to solutions that are already implemented in other jurisdictions.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Exactly, same for me, no problem & quick. Only minor issue was they didn't have enough light for the vax checkers when I came in to the main (north) gate, so he had a hard time reading my printed certificate. Hopefully they'll have better lighting for them if/when the crowd is bigger.

I plan to go to all games from now on. I enjoyed it last night, the weather made it an adventure. We were moving around the west side to stay dry as the wind shifted.

In terms of not going because of the pandemic, and activities with groups needing to be worth it: you're not going to find a better physically-distanced event! You could pick any seat you want, and sit 30 metres away from anyone else if you wanted to!

RE why don't we have anything useful for vax certificates yet, Ogthedim nailed it: they had something ready for that in January, part of the vaccine booking portal, but they killed it. Oh and concerning needing a "made in Ontario" solution, that's a new thing. For the vaccine booking portal they could have had a much better system, literally made in Ontario by an Ontario company. Nova Scotia used it and it was great. Instead Ontario opted for a crap system from the US which totally failed under load, was missing a ton of important features, and was bypassed by a significant portion of the Ontario vaccine bookings (pharmacies; hospitals; some public health units, etc.) leading to an uncoordinated mess.

Ottawa-designed vaccine system praised in N.S., envied in Ontario | Ottawa Citizen
    https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...haotic-ontario
    Love the sentiment Auzzy. I think that spirit is what we all have felt at BMO. And if we are back to “we only win in the rain” so be it.

I’m still missing out of an aubandance of caution but regret it for exactly that reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Add in that when you have an erratic premier like we do, the public service will do everything absolutely by the book so it doesn’t get hung out to dry in the event of a problem - they know they would be blamed and on the front page of the Sun, not him, if they find a way around the rules and something goes wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know something about federal procurement (not provincial). The feds have solved for this easily by having accelerated RFP processes and evaluation systems that give high marks to solutions that are already implemented in other jurisdictions.
    There are accelerated processes provincially as well. And something implemented in another jurisdiction is a common part of all evaluation. That alone wouldn't be enough to go to a sole source contract. I saw one where the technology was so specialized only one supplier in North America had ever produced it, it was working well in one jurisdiction, and the government still wouldn't go to a sole source contract.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The crowd issues this year are simply due to Toronto not socially recovering from Covid. Until the Leafs show up, no events are really in huge demand.
    Remember, MLSE is charging full price for a team that arrived here in last place. The social aspect.of the pre game beers is not there. Some fans arent eager to jump on the TTC yet. And this game was midweek, vs a CCL club, in a downpour.
    If renewals really drop off, then there will be cause for concern. But we also had seasons where we couldnt give tix away. As supporters, even we have not been engaged this season. Aside from gameday threads there's not much life on here. We didnt bother with a members scarf. This isn't a criticism, just naturally people are going to find it hard to be excited in the last 2 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    The crowd issues this year are simply due to Toronto not socially recovering from Covid. Until the Leafs show up, no events are really in huge demand.
    Remember, MLSE is charging full price for a team that arrived here in last place. The social aspect.of the pre game beers is not there. Some fans arent eager to jump on the TTC yet. And this game was midweek, vs a CCL club, in a downpour.
    If renewals really drop off, then there will be cause for concern. But we also had seasons where we couldnt give tix away. As supporters, even we have not been engaged this season. Aside from gameday threads there's not much life on here. We didnt bother with a members scarf. This isn't a criticism, just naturally people are going to find it hard to be excited in the last 2 years.
    Uhhh.....the Jays???

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    I partially agree, the Canada v Panama game on the 13th is mid week and will be full, rain or shine. Capacity originally 15,000 and now 21,000, if the Reds were playing mildly competitive, more would have attended.

Back to the Canada game, which i actually have an issue with. With the new Vax status access rules, I got 8 seats for people i know well and are all double vaxed. I chose a spot that was somewhat distanced, no one to our left and no one behind in 118.

Adding the 6,000 additional people concerns me in that it wasn’t part of the things to consider when i bought my seats.

I am actually OK with expanding the capacity and still may have gone but dammit, they have to stop changing the rules in mid process.

You can’t teach stupid…

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a good point about the higher demand for Canada games (and about changing rules mid process).

RE poor TFC attendance, in addition to many of the issues mentioned here (crap weather; crap team; mid-week extra game against unknown team; not everyone feeling comfortable going out)...

I think pricing is a major issue. I picked up a single ticket from TicketMaster shortly before the York United game, after other options fell through, then went in and sat with friends. I thought $30 for the upper west corner (section 219) for a single one-off ticket was OK but not great.

But where my friends were sitting (Section 121 dark grey) was $122 a ticket, even shortly before the game, and a ton were available. I mean, come on, that's ridiculous.

Actually I also have a question: for a season ticket holder who left their credit on their account, how much would they be paying per seat if they pick up tickets to a game via their account, take the dark grey for example? I'm hoping they wouldn't be paying the same as one-off purchases directly from Ticketmaster?

But even if those SSH prices are lower, that points to another massive issue: the fact that SSH aren't required to take tickets to every game, and just pick up and pay for seats from game to game. That removes most of the base SSH demand from a game, as people have to opt in. They will be more affected by all the other negative factors mentioned here than if they had already paid for the game anyway via their season seat. And that won't change until next season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^This is core to why I voted that Manning will be gone at year end.

There is no way he can present a credible plan that doesn’t involve massive losses for 2022 and beyond. He either has to cut prices massively or see big SSH losses. (This is what ultimately got Anselmi in 2012 too btw.)

Manning may have been a “Moneyball” guy at the beginning but now he is the custodian of a high spend strategy that completely falls apart with this level of ineptitude.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post

But even if those SSH prices are lower, that points to another massive issue: the fact that SSH aren't required to take tickets to every game, and just pick up and pay for seats from game to game. That removes most of the base SSH demand from a game, as people have to opt in. They will be more affected by all the other negative factors mentioned here than if they had already paid for the game anyway via their season seat. And that won't change until next season.
    Maybe I'm not following what you are saying.

Are you saying TFC should've forced X number of tickets on to SSH's this season? I guess if the SSH didn't accept, they would lose their SSH status?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no way he can present a credible plan that doesn’t involve massive losses for 2022 and beyond. He either has to cut prices massively or see big SSH losses. (This is what ultimately got Anselmi in 2012 too btw.)
    Or he could do what we did in years past; sign big names to sell memberships instead of selling them by winning. Giovinco was step one in seat selling without concern for whatever we plan on doing next season because he will sell seats no matter what. Next would be a manager like Pirlo. Some big name that looks good in promo material without any thought on how and if it would work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning may have been a “Moneyball” guy at the beginning but now he is the custodian of a high spend strategy that completely falls apart with this level of ineptitude.
    But does the board buy into a “pandemic” excuse enough to save his position?

He’s going to say he won everything in 2017 (not his work), went to MLS cup finals in 2019, and was in the supporters shield race in 2020 (i have never seen a team look so unimpressive and win so consistently).

Personally, I would say: look at Seattle, look at our team, you have an even larger budget and nowhere near the same results, get out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Or he could do what we did in years past; sign big names to sell memberships instead of selling them by winning. Giovinco was step one in seat selling without concern for whatever we plan on doing next season because he will sell seats no matter what. Next would be a manager like Pirlo. Some big name that looks good in promo material without any thought on how and if it would work.
    The name I have always wondered about returning in a much bigger position is Benoit Cheyrou.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The name I have always wondered about returning in a much bigger position is Benoit Cheyrou.
    But that one is sensible and not as big a splash maker in the mainstream. I bet they're all about PR regarding all upcoming moves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately it seems as though that ship has sailed. He took a job to return home to France after already accepting a job with TFC. I doubt he returns here unless he doesn’t have any other options.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Unfortunately it seems as though that ship has sailed. He took a job to return home to France after already accepting a job with TFC. I doubt he returns here unless he doesn’t have any other options.
    Not exactly. Cheyrou made millions, he doesn’t need options.

He always struck me as a future manager in terms of temperament, intellect etc.

TFC gave him a chance to work his way up from the bottom as an academy coach.

Cheyrou instead went back to France and became an occasional TV commentator there - that recently became a regular national gig on Amazon Prime, who broadcast Ligue 1 there.

If you think TV is a pathway to management, Benoit is doing it on a heck of a bigger stage than Caldwell or whomever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not exactly. Cheyrou made millions, he doesn’t need options.

He always struck me as a future manager in terms of temperament, intellect etc.

TFC gave him a chance to work his way up from the bottom as an academy coach.

Cheyrou instead went back to France and became an occasional TV commentator there - that recently became a regular national gig on Amazon Prime, who broadcast Ligue 1 there.

If you think TV is a pathway to management, Benoit is doing it on a heck of a bigger stage than Caldwell or whomever.
    I wasn’t saying anything disparaging about Cheyrou, or the path he chose. My point was that I don’t think he wants to be in Toronto, and frankly I can’t blame him, I’d choose anywhere in France too, especially as a millionaire.