Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 181 to 186 of 186
  1. #181
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    834
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Fish? LOL. That's the sign of a team with major problems at CB and at striker, bringing a real lack of stability. Plus lots of problems with motivation, tactics and fitness at certain times. Despite all the misery on the field for TFC this year, there's a ton of parity in the league. TFC is MUCH closer to NE in quality than is the case for Norwich / Man City; plus TFC actually has the higher salary budget. Any team can beat any other team in MLS on a given night; lots of players and coaches that came to MLS from Europe and elsewhere around the world have commented on that.
    You donít know it but you have contradicted yourself
    If there is such parity we should not be 38 points away from first place and 18 points away from the middle of the pack
    Statistically not possible

  2. #182
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    FWIW

    xG time stamps

    This looks extremely even overall!

  3. #183
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northwest Territories (Section 226)
    Posts
    7,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    You don’t know it but you have contradicted yourself
    If there is such parity we should not be 38 points away from first place and 18 points away from the middle of the pack
    Statistically not possible
    Are you seriously questioning whether there is more parity in MLS than in the Premier League? Many experts have commented that anyone can beat anyone on a given day in MLS. Surely there are lots of stats about that. Also about the stronger home-team effect in MLS. Plus TFC is extremely inconsistent these days, with Perez trying all kinds things and seeing what sticks. Last two games something worked. In addition the motivation, effort and focus of the TFC players has varied massively between games this season. TFC also beat first-place New England at Gillette Stadium in July. Finally Nashville is bad away from home this year: despite being 2nd in the conference, their away record is 2-3-5.

  4. #184
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    834
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Are you seriously questioning whether there is more parity in MLS than in the Premier League? Many experts have commented that anyone can beat anyone on a given day in MLS. Surely there are lots of stats about that. Also about the stronger home-team effect in MLS. Plus TFC is extremely inconsistent these days, with Perez trying all kinds things and seeing what sticks. Last two games something worked. In addition the motivation, effort and focus of the TFC players has varied massively between games this season. TFC also beat first-place New England at Gillette Stadium in July. Finally Nashville is bad away from home this year: despite being 2nd in the conference, their away record is 2-3-5.
    Using a binomial probability applet calculator
    Tfc has played 25 games in a parity league
    So I used 50% chance to win or lose any given game in a parity league ( your words)
    Tfc has 18 pts. 18 pts equals 6 wins (6x3)

    N=25
    X=6
    P=0.5

    What you get is this
    Iím a parity league the probability of one team only having 6 wins is 5/1000

    Still donít think itís fishy?


    https://homepage.divms.uiowa.edu/~mb...plets/bin.html

  5. #185
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Kingston
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    Using a binomial probability applet calculator
    Tfc has played 25 games in a parity league
    So I used 50% chance to win or lose any given game in a parity league ( your words)
    Tfc has 18 pts. 18 pts equals 6 wins (6x3)

    N=25
    X=6
    P=0.5

    What you get is this
    I’m a parity league the probability of one team only having 6 wins is 5/1000

    Still don’t think it’s fishy?


    https://homepage.divms.uiowa.edu/~mb...plets/bin.html
    chances of getting hit by lightning aren't great, but that still happens too. Just means we are one of those unlucky 5 this time around. It doesn't help if you decide to do silly things during those storms like go out and play golf therefore increasing your odds of getting hit (or in our case hire a manager that wants to try and press at the beginning of the season with a team that isn't suited for that). Or maybe increase the odds further by standing under the tallest tree outside (or again in our case playing half our season away from home in another country, in another team's stadium. and start the season with 9 games in 9 different stadiums).

    I'm not saying your point isn't valid, for sure it's fishy that we have such decent players and we are this low in the table...but also saying that it's a possibility.

  6. #186
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    834
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 613reppingTFC View Post
    chances of getting hit by lightning aren't great, but that still happens too. Just means we are one of those unlucky 5 this time around. It doesn't help if you decide to do silly things during those storms like go out and play golf therefore increasing your odds of getting hit (or in our case hire a manager that wants to try and press at the beginning of the season with a team that isn't suited for that). Or maybe increase the odds further by standing under the tallest tree outside (or again in our case playing half our season away from home in another country, in another team's stadium. and start the season with 9 games in 9 different stadiums).

    I'm not saying your point isn't valid, for sure it's fishy that we have such decent players and we are this low in the table...but also saying that it's a possibility.
    A few other observations

    Looking at the standings it is clear and obvious that this is a parity league
    Iím 2020 we were in the third standard deviation on the right of the curve and in 2021 we are 3 standard deviations on the left of the curve with essentially the same players
    New England is 3 standard deviations to the right on the curve and Nashville has just barely made it to 2 standard deviations on the right of the curve and somehow a team 3 standard deviations (tfc) to the left on the curve manages to beat those two teams

    Also as a footnote the 2020 MLS MVP and arguably an Ironman in 2020 barely plays in 2021

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •