Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MLS v.s. Serie A

I'm not sure if anyone else saw this article from fourfourtwo.com but it is an interesting read to say the least. I would like to see the MLS become one of the giants in world football but to suggest that we are chomping on the heels of Serie A might be a bit much at this point. It does raise a bunch of talking points though. What are all your thoughts?

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/...L4YuL5T9m4vAVA

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone else saw this article from fourfourtwo.com but it is an interesting read to say the least. I would like to see the MLS become one of the giants in world football but to suggest that we are chomping on the heels of Serie A might be a bit much at this point. It does raise a bunch of talking points though. What are all your thoughts?

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/...L4YuL5T9m4vAVA
    Until the salary cap raises to at least the Mexican level, we're chomping on the heels of no major football associations. Of course for how low the league's salary budgets are, the league as a whole is punching over it's weight though. It's all baby steps with MLS but over the past 2 years the quality of play has made another jump up as has the reduction of goonery. It's already better than a lot of lower tier Euro leagues now. Going forward I think two main things are holding the league back from making a huge jump forward; one is obviously the cheap ass salary cap and the other is the cheap ass officiating. Both fairly easy, fixable problems but would take some investment and a break from the baby steps pattern the owners love so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If MLS is closing the gap on Serie A, then it's also closing on the EPL. Because Serie A is about to pass the EPL in the coefficient rankings. Now, of course the gap in quality is closing, but that doesn't mean it isn't still a pretty significant gap

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd argue that in some areas, MLS has surpassed Serie A, especially a lot of things related to business and infrastructure.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sillyness

what kind of player has Serie A evee produced?

Facilities/ infrastructure aside, how can you even make the comparison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys, I'm not sure if you watch games, but the talent level is not even close. It's like when comparing the BPL to the mls the teams are champions level at best. Business wise Serie A has 3 teams in the top 20 of the richest clubs in the world, the smaller teams don't generate as much money but still their TV deal alone is worth more than the MLS and the MLS deal also involves the USMNT which inflates that dollar value of the contract. The only thing the MLS might have is quality of stadiums as the majority are old and not conducive to providing fan enjoyment as they far from the pitch due to having a track around the pitch. But that is starting to change as some clubs have either built their own stadium or in the process of getting approval for them.

So at the end of the day the MLS should be happy where it is and have a plan to grow, comparing to leagues with the history of the top 4-5 in Europe is quite funny as all we can offer is money there is no prestige playing in the MLS. The message from the league that we are going to be a top league by whatever date is just rhetoric. The MLS should just enjoy the growth of the league and let it evolve into what it will evolve to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I'd argue that in some areas, MLS has surpassed Serie A, especially a lot of things related to business and infrastructure.
    lets get close to MX or even CSL first. if this offseason is an indication MX still uses MLS as their farm system

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    lets get close to MX or even CSL first. if this offseason is an indication MX still uses MLS as their farm system
    Overtaking Liga MX should be priority #1. After that they can start talking about it being a worldwide, big player. At the rate they let it grow, it should pass MX in about 10 years or so.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    Liga MX - The Mexican League

CSL? Cause we've talked about on this site is no longer sanctioned by FIFA. Which league are you referencing?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    CSL? Cause we've talked about on this site is no longer sanctioned by FIFA. Which league are you referencing?
    I was wondering this too and if it is that league then how can anyone think MLS isn't up to that level yet? That's about the same gap as MLS has to Serie A.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Liga MX - The Mexican League

I assume chinese league

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    I assume chinese league
    Okay that makes more sense but if you ever watch that league, and no I don't care how they competed in tournaments because the Impact did a run in CCL when they were a USL squad, that league is garbage. I am sure it's getting better but it's terrible as of last season. Really bad. The only thing that league has on MLS is no salary cap restraints.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume chinese league
    Yep. You win.

China Super League.

Apparently.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Okay that makes more sense but if you ever watch that league, and no I don't care how they competed in tournaments because the Impact did a run in CCL when they were a USL squad, that league is garbage. I am sure it's getting better but it's terrible as of last season. Really bad. The only thing that league has on MLS is no salary cap restraints.

I've never watched a game in it to be honest.
    I will probably a little this season though, when you see players like Ramires, Marinez and Texiera signing, it does make it worth a look.I heard one of the teams has bid 38 million quid for Payet at West Ham, so no sign of the big deals slowing down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha check this out, slow news day I guess

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35516612

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never watched a game in it to be honest.
    I will probably a little this season though, when you see players like Ramires, Marinez and Texiera signing, it does make it worth a look.I heard one of the teams has bid 38 million quid for Payet at West Ham, so no sign of the big deals slowing down
    I did because of the last wave of 'stars' they bought with Anelka. Just on the internet and couldn't handle a full match. Just casually browsed it I would say.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me know when a Serie A team makes something like this. This is embarrassing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think at most the Chinese league could end up on a similar level to the Russian league. But even the Russian league has the UCL to compete for, which Chinese clubs don't. And I have a hard time believing that China is a more attractive destination than NA for the majority of players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep you win.

sorry, all the china super league talk isn't in this thread is in another of the active ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no doubt big money is flowing into the Chinese league now (and national teams too I'd assume) but up to now the whole enterprise has been a shambles in terms of credibility and infrastructure - the list goes on. The governmental sports bigwigs are much more involved now, on directive from the Chinese president, who is pushing this drive. It remains to be seen if it will be stable enough to retain these imported players.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the Chinese league follows the examples of the last few decades of command built enterprises, be prepared for big stadiums with few people in them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has the feel of the old NASL.... Spending wads of cash on players

But if I remember correctly Drogba had his contract rescinded as he wasn't getting paid, same with Anelka

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Let me know when a Serie A team makes something like this. This is embarrassing.
    That's terrible on a number of levels - never mind the obvious, but did nobody listen to the lyrics before they decided to use it for a renewal campaign.

Hi, yeah, it's me again. Just wondering if you want to renew. Come on, baby. I said I was sorry. Oh, it doesn't matter? It clearly doesn't tear you apart anymore.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    There is no doubt big money is flowing into the Chinese league now (and national teams too I'd assume) but up to now the whole enterprise has been a shambles in terms of credibility and infrastructure - the list goes on. The governmental sports bigwigs are much more involved now, on directive from the Chinese president, who is pushing this drive. It remains to be seen if it will be stable enough to retain these imported players.
    Lets see what happens when the first mis-speak against the govt occurs by one of the players

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it April 1? Seriously.

Serie A has at least 15 world class stars (ie the better Italian MNT players, plus great Brazilians, Argentines, Uruguayans, Bosnians, Montenegrins and Colombians). MLS has zero (OK maybe one, Giovinco)

Great vets: there are 10-20 "names" in MLS, mostly older. Serie A has as many great vets (Toni, Cassano, Borriello, Klose, Buffon, Palacio come to mind in 30 seconds, without a web search)

Then there are about 150 guys in Serie A that are starters and they are all better than anyone outside of the top 20 or 30 players in MLS. I like Jonathan Osorio, to pick a name, as much as the next guy, but he's not a starter in Serie A. Not even close.

Then Italy have about 25 starlets (MLS has none).

Then, finally, at the end of the bench, you have battle tested professional veterans (even the 21 year olds have 10 years serious competitive experience), and they are all much, much better than the legions of NCAA scrubs filling out MLS rosters.

Then they have 10 more real players per team in training (not with the B squad or the academy, just ready to step in).

This has to be a joke.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-09-2016 at 05:22 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its click bait - picture of Cole and picture of Pirlo and get soccer internet people in the US to click.

About as newsworthy as those "30 people who died early - the 27th will schock you" ads all over websites these days. ( I clicked on that once and felt soooo unclean.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Lets see what happens when the first mis-speak against the govt occurs by one of the players
    I haven't heard about any foreign soccer or basketball players getting in political jams in China. Team administrators though... Probably the bigger danger to players is that top party bigwigs lose interest in the soccer push or Pres. Xi Jinping loses his job and his projects get frowned upon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Is it April 1? Seriously.
    That's what I thought when I saw that the Leafs traded Phaneuf without retaining salary

Serie A has at least 15 world class stars (ie the better Italian MNT players, plus great Brazilians, Argentines, Uruguayans, Bosnians, Montenegrins and Colombians). MLS has zero (OK maybe one, Giovinco)
    I would define a world class star as someone who's a game changer at the highest level. So either for club in the CL, or for country in a major tournament. And as good as Giovinco is, and as much as we all love him, I wouldn't count even him as a world class star.

Great vets: there are 10-20 "names" in MLS, mostly older. Serie A has as many great vets (Toni, Cassano, Borriello, Klose, Buffon, Palacio come to mind in 30 seconds, without a web search)
    It's funny how they point to De Jong, Giovinco, Bradley, Kaka, Pirlo, and Cole as being players who jumped ship and preferred MLS over Serie A. As if De Jong or Cole would be in LA right now if their teams in Italy had been willing to keep them around at full wage. Or Bradley and Giovinco, who were fringe players in Italy, getting paid ungodly amounts of money to come here.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Its click bait - picture of Cole and picture of Pirlo and get soccer internet people in the US to click.

About as newsworthy as those "30 people who died early - the 27th will schock you" ads all over websites these days. ( I clicked on that once and felt soooo unclean.)
    That's why I like the Twitter account @SavedYouAClick - makes me giggle
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you guys watched bottom tier Serie A teams recently? it's not the far off from watching an MLS team. The defending is atrocious and they don't have the high end attacking talent that the better teams in MLS have.