Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So am I - for all those years when TFC were basement dwellers, there was always Arsenal to lift my spirits, and then when Arsenal started to slip a bit TFC had its stellar seasons. But this year there just doesn’t seem to be any reprieve!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TearsForCheers View Post
    So am I - for all those years when TFC were basement dwellers, there was always Arsenal to lift my spirits, and then when Arsenal started to slip a bit TFC had its stellar seasons. But this year there just doesn’t seem to be any reprieve!
    Same for me, except there has been a different beacon of hope this year and that is the CMNT.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TearsForCheers View Post

Woohoo West Ham just signed Vlasic and Král.... it is always fun to kick a Gunner when they are down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    We are now the Arsenal of MLS
    As bad as they are at least they are mid-table. Jokes aside they aren't going to be in a relegation battle.....

Nah, TFC is more like Sunderland. Just bad on every level these days.

I blame MLS for not having relegation. We'd never of had to endure 10 years of incompetence after the first relegation. The stain of that would be on the record of MLSE for all eternity. Who knows maybe MLSE would have scrapped the whole soccer experiment in TFC with their management, lmao.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    As bad as they are at least they are mid-table. Jokes aside they aren't going to be in a relegation battle.....

I blame MLS for not having relegation. We'd never of had to endure 10 years of incompetence after the first relegation. The stain of that would be on the record of MLSE for all eternity. Who knows maybe MLSE would have scrapped the whole soccer experiment in TFC with their management, lmao.
    I was thinking more along the lines of a once proud club, previously in contention for doubles and trebles, now sitting at the bottom and looking like it will be a long road back to the top if the people running the club can accidentally find their way. A club run by a sports conglomerate that will splash cash but can’t find the right people to make day to day decisions. A club that struggles to find a manager to replace the one that led them through the glory times, who thinks that some mention of Pep is qualification to run a squad. A club that struggles with fitness issues. A club that awards contracts to big names, past their prime players who then handcuff the payroll going forward. A team that brings in players without addressing positions of need. A team that should have a top academy but can’t seem to bleed a top homegrown player. A team in need of a defender and brings in Omar/Luiz. A club whose fanbase now has to look at shit rivals and momentarily think “shit they look like a better run club”. A club that talks about trophies without meaning the league title.

That is why Arsenal came to mind. I’m not a gooner but have a soft spot for the gunners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of a once proud club, previously in contention for doubles and trebles, now sitting at the bottom and looking like it will be a long road back to the top if the people running the club can accidentally find their way. A club run by a sports conglomerate that will splash cash but can’t find the right people to make day to day decisions. A club that struggles to find a manager to replace the one that led them through the glory times, who thinks that some mention of Pep is qualification to run a squad. A club that struggles with fitness issues. A club that awards contracts to big names, past their prime players who then handcuff the payroll going forward. A team that brings in players without addressing positions of need. A team that should have a top academy but can’t seem to bleed a top homegrown player. A team in need of a defender and brings in Omar/Luiz. A club whose fanbase now has to look at shit rivals and momentarily think “shit they look like a better run club”. A club that talks about trophies without meaning the league title.

That is why Arsenal came to mind. I’m not a gooner but have a soft spot for the gunners.
    Yeah I see the comparison although Arsenal had a much longer period of sustained success.

Vanney really should have been our Wenger. MLSE should have done more to keep him, whether that's money or promoting, everyone has a price. Look at how they pulled all the stops to keep Massai at the Raptors. Same should have happened here.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I see the comparison although Arsenal had a much longer period of sustained success.

Vanney really should have been our Wenger. MLSE should have done more to keep him, whether that's money or promoting, everyone has a price. Look at how they pulled all the stops to keep Massai at the Raptors. Same should have happened here.
    I think they tried to keep him, but if the "price" is family -- there's a significant portion of people for whom that's the ultimate deciding factor.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I think they tried to keep him, but if the "price" is family -- there's a significant portion of people for whom that's the ultimate deciding factor.
    It would have been hard to keep him away from LA. But I think the best chance of retaining him would have involved having Curtis and Manning out of the picture.

Look at the path these guys have sent us down. Having Chris Armas come in and try to play an entirely foreign style not suited for our roster. You can’t tell me Vanney didn’t hear similarly hair-brained ideas in his time as coach and think “get me out of here!”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Masai isn't a coach or manager though. I see the point in holding on to a great President or GM that has a plan, connections, and vision but usually managers wear out their welcome or the message gets stale. I get Vanney wanted to be closer to home and that happens but sometimes it's better to refresh the on field voice every 5 to 10 years or else you end up like Arsenal; winning nothing of consequence forever.

Bigger issue here was letting Bez go, although he may prove to be a short term guy who leaves a cap mess behind, he still had a vision. Bigger problem was Manning catastrophically selecting Curtis as the next guy to lead the ship. Curtis & Armas have been like the iceberg in Titanic for us but in the end it might be for the best. This will probably sever the last strings of nostalgia towards the 2017 season so we can fully rebuild.

Unless Manning selects another guy like Curtis as GM and we get somebody like Olsen in as manager.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Masai isn't a coach or manager though. I see the point in holding on to a great President or GM that has a plan, connections, and vision but usually managers wear out their welcome or the message gets stale. I get Vanney wanted to be closer to home and that happens but sometimes it's better to refresh the on field voice every 5 to 10 years or else you end up like Arsenal; winning nothing of consequence forever.

Bigger issue here was letting Bez go, although he may prove to be a short term guy who leaves a cap mess behind, he still had a vision. Bigger problem was Manning catastrophically selecting Curtis as the next guy to lead the ship. Curtis & Armas have been like the iceberg in Titanic for us but in the end it might be for the best. This will probably sever the last strings of nostalgia towards the 2017 season so we can fully rebuild.

Unless Manning selects another guy like Curtis as GM and we get somebody like Olsen in as manager.
    Hindsight is 20/20. I would have promoted Vanney to GM/Manager or whatever combo he wanted, and get Ali to work the cap. Was that attempted? Probably not.

All I know is Manning went on autopilot and Ali sank the ship. We're literally the Titanic now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bez made mistakes but seemed to have the awareness to recognize and fix mistakes Ali doesn't seem to be aware that a problem exists.

Losing Vanney should not be the issue, managers move on all the time even good ones but clearly there is no one above with a vision or plan to find the next manager, the next gm. I see no reason for hope until Ali and Manning are gone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arsenal is dead last. Just as we were under Armas.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    Same for me, except there has been a different beacon of hope this year and that is the CMNT.

Ummm.....(OK, its half time but still...that team has not been playing well either)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Arsenal is dead last. Just as we were under Armas.
    I'm grabbing my popcorn if they are genuinely battling relegation near season end. The entertainment would be off the charts!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Ok, now I'm getting angry

Time to EFF these guys

An update

Team took this seriously.

MLS took it seriously.

Impact FINALLY forced to take it seriously.

Supporter group involved banned. No away support allocation for Montreal game here in Toronto.

https://en.cfmontreal.com/news/commu...section-132-en

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm grabbing my popcorn if they are genuinely battling relegation near season end. The entertainment would be off the charts!
    Oh yes totally!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    An update

Team took this seriously.

MLS took it seriously.

Impact FINALLY forced to take it seriously.

Supporter group involved banned. No away support allocation for Montreal game here in Toronto.

https://en.cfmontreal.com/news/commu...section-132-en
    Good. The Montréal away fans tend to cause some trouble at BMO Field, anyways, so this was overdue, IMO.