Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I also saw that right after ag futbol’s comment. A couple of TFC players were literally walking in the middle of the field as Achara was all alone up front.
    Much of this season mirrors what we saw in 2018, except in 2018, the team was more stable and had more quality. I think we'll see this same squad perform much better if they're fully fit.

I'm hoping to see a Perruzza appearance in the weekend fixture. Mullins offers little to no goalscoring threat up front.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone screen grab at 81:05-15. That photo is an abysmal representation of our season. Disaster.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Achara's speed & willingness to go for stuff. That & nobody is going to move him off the ball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is anyone going to trot out the “but we can still technically make playoffs” after this game?

This team isn’t making playoffs. And maybe a third of that is talent but the other two thirds is not caring and looking at the guy next to you to do the job.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allan Kelly - 3 minutes of extra time no matter what happens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact that the score's still 1-0 should give TFC more hope, but for the most part, the players just look less willing to get a result as time passes. I'd have thought that letting go of Armas and coming back to Toronto would give the team a new lease of life until the end of the season, but alas, that isn't the case. Maybe the injuries have killed off the remaining hope, or maybe this team is already looking ahead to next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why did Delgado even make that pass? He had open field ahead of him. They don’t even think sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone needs to answer for this in more than platitudes. Hint: His name is Bill Manning.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stop with the stupid effin weak passes Pozuelo!

Man is this frustrating.

So many subs & only 3 minutes extra. But we probably wouldn’t score if we had an extra 30 anyway.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had chances - more then they did truth be told.

Playing on turf is crud

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Is anyone going to trot out the “but we can still technically make playoffs” after this game?

This team isn’t making playoffs. And maybe a third of that is talent but the other two thirds is not caring and looking at the guy next to you to do the job.
    So can we stop playing fucking Mullins and Dwyer? Like hello? Perruzza's been sitting on the bench for like 4 or 5 games now, what the hell, give him some minutes at this point. Why are we starting nobodies when we have a kid with at least some kind of future right there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    We play so arrogantly. No one ever takes the simple option.
    I think its mentally lazy. A lack of focus and concentration - like that Marky pass in the 90th minute. We are playing just well enough to lose. And that seems to be what the players are settling for - slightly understandable given how much worse it was under Armas. But unacceptable.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 08-18-2021 at 08:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol a total disgrace they won a MLS Cup and think they did enough, hopefully, season ticket holders don’t renew , pure garbage. Look at Seattle they haven’t stopped being a top team since they came into the league , when was the last time Seattle didn’t make the playoffs? This is an MLSE thing more than a TFC problem, garbage organization !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well,this was pretty dreadful.

Too many chiefs. Not sure what positives they’re talking about.

Richie overplaying or over hitting everything, Poz and Soteldo unable to create space around the box. Bradley played okay but still lacks legs. Okello was ineffective.

Taking off Shaff amd Osorio was a mistake, they were playing pretty well. Zavaleta… I mean, what’s the point? Really? Clearly not good enough for MLS even as depth.

Pozuelo and Soteldo aren’t effective enough on their own as goal threats; Poz has been off all year. Soteldo is a fine winger but that’s all.

Pretty fucking dire boys. Don’t think Perez’s choices did much good Tonight.

with as few scoring threats as we have, I have to question if a flat two upfront creating space for each other might not make more sense. Always trying to serve wide speed through Richie and Soteldo is getting us nowhere.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laryea. Missing that little bit of cutting edge that made him so much more dangerous on attack.

This Atlanta team is basically another version of current TFC. While it's never easy playing away and on turf, but I thought TFC could have had at least a draw

Michael Bradley plays so much better when he's rested.

Soteldo is figured out by the rest of MLS

Achara is a wide forward, not a centre forward. But built like a tank.

I just don't see if Okello has a footy brain.

Q makes TFC so much better with distribution.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This team isn't making the playoffs because it cannot defend the long ball, and because it does not have a goal scorer. It is an unbalanced lineup with far too many midfielders and a strange construction - I love watching Soteldo but why was he the player we brought in this year? We have Osorio Bradley Priso Delgado Okello Pozuelo who are all midfield / possession players; our defence is the league worst and we have one striker (Jozy) and maybe a second (Ayo). Soteldo is essentially a possession midfielder. Strange priority.

This year, sadly, is done. For next year, we need a Drew Moor type and likely another as Mavinga is aging / injury prone now. Midfield OK but will need two starting strikers. Thats a tall ask and one that appears to be beyond this management team.

I like our subs - like Mullins - good for this league. its the starting quality scoring we need and it isnt Poz or Soteldo.

Essentially we will build the team around the two of them. Thats a strange way of building - normally it is through the middle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Laryea. Missing that little bit of cutting edge that made him so much more dangerous on attack.

This Atlanta team is basically another version of current TFC. While it's never easy playing away and on turf, but I thought TFC could have had at least a draw

Yes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    This team isn't making the playoffs because it cannot defend the long ball, and because it does not have a goal scorer. It is an unbalanced lineup with far too many midfielders and a strange construction - I love watching Soteldo but why was he the player we brought in this year? We have Osorio Bradley Priso Delgado Okello Pozuelo who are all midfield / possession players; our defence is the league worst and we have one striker (Jozy) and maybe a second (Ayo). Soteldo is essentially a possession midfielder. Strange priority.

This year, sadly, is done. For next year, we need a Drew Moor type and likely another as Mavinga is aging / injury prone now. Midfield OK but will need two starting strikers. Thats a tall ask and one that appears to be beyond this management team.

I like our subs - like Mullins - good for this league. its the starting quality scoring we need and it isnt Poz or Soteldo.

Essentially we will build the team around the two of them. Thats a strange way of building - normally it is through the middle.
    you lost me at mullins....we have too many mullins he is a warm body,there are 20 better strikers in usl than him.he is a striker with 0 goals this year in mls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

Can Achara play opposite Soteldo? Right now the team has no winger on the right and it would give the team width.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear you. The roster is missing a lot of pieces getting to the top of the heap is out. But I think we should still be able to show more competitiveness with what we have.

Completely agree on Soltedo. How much better is this team because of that signing? Certainly not at a level that justified the fee and salary, at least so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soteldo has been a big disappointment not worth the money , dribbles and dribbles but in the end has nothing to show for all his dribbling. A waste of a DP .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm more concerned with any potential talent atop the MLS draft, at this point. This team seems more likely to finish last than make the playoffs. Kinda hoping they do, unfortunately. I'll take the No. 2 or No. 3 pick (assuming Charlotte gets No. 1) - or any pick that sees Curtis/Manning pack their bags.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This team isn't making the playoffs because it cannot defend the long ball, and because it does not have a goal scorer. ....
    Yeh, pretty much and also the rest of what you said. Achara was going to be that goal scorer, or Jozy if fit. Defence, made some decisions in 2019 that have not panned out for 2021.

Cap space issues - stuck with this squad until next year.

To me, you get a healthy Achara along with a DP #9 (have to buy out Jozy, its time) & go find 2 decent CB's. What you dump is not the pluggers. Dump Mavinga (yes, its just not workig out anymore) & Gonzalez & Zavs and start that backline anew.

Good points - Okello is young & has some tools that need some work. Richie is dangerous (but is tired). Oso is always a hand full to be played against. Q is good. Our FB's are serviceable. Achara is a good wide forward. 2022 has some ups.

The braintrust made a mistake thinking 2018 was a glitch & reacting to the Seba loss - Jozy contract, etc. They then thought 2019 was a harbinger of future success when really it was a cup run by a bunch of vets. That run & the league run last year hid some serious flaws. This year, 2021, SHOULD have been a transition one, under a new coach able to create change & work with the youngsters & develop the team towards a good 2022-2023. Well,the braintrust bungled that.

Now, we got a decent coach, I think, to build towards 2022. The team doesn't need a complete overhaul - just really 2 areas, the CB's & the #9. The rest of the season is really all about who's going to be doing what next year.

Part of the problem is the pundits & fans of this team have never experienced transitions from success towards the next stage. There is too much scrutiny of the minutae right now & relying upon past TFC events as the lens for what is happening.

What is happening is this team is in flux and teams in flux suk donkey testicles. And they are not easy to read, and they are not going to fit into nice neat boxes of "youth development vs. buying veterans".

And yet...there are glimmers of hope if you are interested in the long term project of supporting this team.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 08-18-2021 at 09:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with Og. This team has potential, some of which we've already seen, and I think this current squad also has the potential to perform better. There are definitely some players who need to move on (Jozy and Zavaleta to name two), but we can also build on top of most of the players who are already with us (Laryea, Osorio, Soteldo, Pozuelo, Akinola, Achara, etc.). Plus, our young players are actually showing a decent bit of promise (including some from TFC II). I think we've seen some glimpses of that potential against Atlanta tonight, and that's giving me some hope for next season and beyond.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    I'm with Og. This team has potential, some of which we've already seen, and I think this current squad also has the potential to perform better. There are definitely some players who need to move on (Jozy and Zavaleta to name two), but we can also build on top of most of the players who are already with us (Laryea, Osorio, Soteldo, Pozuelo, Akinola, Achara, etc.). Plus, our young players are actually showing a decent bit of promise (including some from TFC II). I think we've seen some glimpses of that potential against Atlanta tonight, and that's giving me some hope for next season and beyond.
    i agree.3 starters for sure.2 CBs and a #9,and a new gm and coach,i dont want curtis anywhere this club knowing him he will give new contracts to zava and gonzo

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all in all, a decent performance. freak goal to concede, created far more offensively than atlanta, but still not nearly enough. we look great in between the 18 yard boxes, in other words.

we really lack at CB and ST though, it's so obvious every game. that break with soteldo, laryea and poz, why was mullins 30 yards behind the play?

zavaleta can't play, this guy is costing us games every week now.

we have a real strong core with a lot of potential, especially with akinola and priso coming back, but they really need to be ruthless with some guys.

zavaleta, gonzalez, altidore, dwyer need to go, looks like deleon is going too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of these results are down to coaching too. We have tons of creators ... Soteldo, Pozuelo, Laryea, Osorio etc. We are swarming around the box quite a bit but we aren't scoring. Whether it's Mullins, Dwyer, Achara or even Jozy or Akinola, too often our creators get the ball down the wing or to the bye line but there's nobody open in the box/ Sometimes there's nobody even in the box. Somebody has to tell whoever is playing as our striker that they have one job. Get open in the box. Poach, get garbage goals. Get open and hit the net when the ball comes to you. With the talent we have supplying our striker he should be told to go stand on the penalty spot ffs and wait for your 20 goals to show up. Nobody is scared of us up front. We couldn't score in a whore house right now and while I'm at it, spots taken up by guys like Mullins or Dwyer have to be used to develop youth in a salary cap world. The young guys need minutes to improve. I can't for the life of me figure out a single situation this year where I'd rather see a zero goal striker like Mullins or Dwyer being called on rather than using their minutes to develop younger forwards like Achara, Perruza or even Nelson. They certainly wouldn't score any less. Unless you have a second tier striker in the mold of a Ricketts who actually came on and scored the odd goal for us when he played here ... those minutes have to be better spent on development.
    Last edited by buddies; 08-18-2021 at 11:08 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buddies View Post
    I can't for the life of me figure out a single situation this year where I'd rather see a zero goal striker like Mullins or Dwyer being called on rather than using their minutes to develop younger forwards like Achara, Perruza or even Nelson.
    This bothers me for sure. I would rather see a young gun in there who would run just as much or more and maybe even surprise us but also develop. Why did we even sign Dwyer when we had Mullins already on the roster to go run around out there late in the game if that is what they needed? Now we have two guys that do that and are not dangerous most times. I would still take Mullins over Dwyer. Dwyer signing is still puzzling me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately strikers cannot make runs off Soteldo because his service is too unpredictable. So the only way we can score is multiple excellent passes and without a natural striker on the pitch we are deficient.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We came in 2nd place in the league last year with basically the same squad. What is the difference. Not re signing Pablo Piatti. He was the one that made Pozzuello have the MVP season he had. As skilled as Solteldo is he is not clinical in his scoring or passing in the box. Piatti was. We played our best soccer last year when the midfield was Piatti, Pozuello, Degado and Osorio. Also, why is Mavinga missing so many games to personal reasons??