Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MLS Match Day 19 - NER @ TFC Saturday August 14 8:08pm - Come On People

You are letting me down

(Yes, counterpoint to the usual end of game winning song)

Have At It People

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess this should say Match 19 instead of 10?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup - coffee required

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I guess this should say Match 19 instead of 10?
    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yup - coffee required
    I dunno - I can think of at least 9 games that are readily forgettable...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fixed the header to read "19."
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched the Revs play Portland yesterday. The Revs will slice through our porous defense easily. Portland's defense is better than ours but gave up a goal within 10 minutes.

The Revs have a well-organized defense, but one that can be penetrated by accurate long passes - the kind Soteldo makes.

TFC will have to play with energy like the second half of last game and score more goals than the inevitable ones they give up. It's going to be a tough challenge.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I watched the Revs play Portland yesterday. The Revs will slice through our porous defense easily. Portland's defense is better than ours but gave up a goal within 10 minutes.

The Revs have a well-organized defense, but one that can be penetrated by accurate long passes - the kind Soteldo makes.

TFC will have to play with energy like the second half of last game and score more goals than the inevitable ones they give up. It's going to be a tough challenge.
    Yep, shootout.

Big plus: Carlos Gil is their team leader and was on pace to shatter the assist record for a season, but is out with a muscle strain.

They inverted Tajon on the right and had him come inside as the playmaker. If we're smart, we stick Ralph on him man-to-man instead of using the double pivot and use Delgado as a lone anchor. We need a young, fast player to keep up with him and force him into areas where they can double up on him.

Buksa requires service. Without Gil, his productivity has disappeared over the last three games and he's goalless. Bou is much more dangerous as he can create space very quickly and shoot from anywhere.
    Last edited by jloome; 08-09-2021 at 03:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bou is kind of fun to watch when the Revs play. He will legit shoot from anywhere but might strike the ball as hard as anyone in the world.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new england without gil are far more beatable than you'd think.

he's set up 15 of their 35 goals, scored a couple too.

their defense isn't strong, they rely on firepower, but will struggle to get service without gil.

they beat philly at home without him last week, but it was off a pk and the game could have gone either way truthfully.

that being said, if we come out and play as slowly as the first half against NYCFC, anyone could beat us, and comfortably.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    new england without gil are far more beatable than you'd think.

he's set up 15 of their 35 goals, scored a couple too.

their defense isn't strong, they rely on firepower, but will struggle to get service without gil.

they beat philly at home without him last week, but it was off a pk and the game could have gone either way truthfully.

that being said, if we come out and play as slowly as the first half against NYCFC, anyone could beat us, and comfortably.
    Buchanan is announcing who he'll sign with before Saturday, allegedly. Might be an additional distraction.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    I wouldn't assume Buffery understands the connotations, he's not really a football guy.

This is more likely an indication on injury, with them limiting his range of motion instead of full running.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This site is pretty good with tracking injuries. Before TFC he hasn't been injured since 2016. Now he has picked up multiple issues in the last 6 months, and he is only 29.

Is he breaking down or just further evidence that out fitness department is trash? Do they not know how to rehab injures? That seem like a very common theme the past few years.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/alejand...spieler/188853

Season Injury from until Days Games missed
    20/21 Mar 15, 2021 May 26, 2021 72 days
    16/17 Apr 27, 2017 Aug 12, 2017 107 days
    13/14 Feb 20, 2014 Jul 1, 2014 131 days
    Last edited by Richard; 08-12-2021 at 11:29 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    This site is pretty good with tracking injuries. Before TFC he hasn't been injured since 2016. Now he has picked up multiple issues in the last 6 months, and he is only 29.

Is he breaking down or just further evidence that out fitness department is trash? Do they not know how to rehab injures? That seem like a very common theme the past few years.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/alejand...spieler/188853

Season Injury from until Days Games missed
    20/21 Mar 15, 2021 May 26, 2021 72 days
    16/17 Apr 27, 2017 Aug 12, 2017 107 days
    13/14 Feb 20, 2014 Jul 1, 2014 131 days
    i'd imagine it's all connected to the injury he picked up under armas training.

a lengthy injury like that can easily lead to more niggles, especially when forced to come back in when not 100% due to team's struggles.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    This is a new team though that Armas brought in from LA. We basically traded our shitty fitness department for theirs. I asked some of their supporters back then about their fitness guys and the responses were pretty much what I have been saying about ours for a few years.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am determined no matter what to sit with my wine and watch this game with a mixture of passivity at anything that goes wrong & enjoyment at anything that goes well.

Baring vaccine certifications becoming mandatory at BMO, this will likely be my last game this season so I am not going to have cruddy play destroy my mood. I'm at a game, my team...going to soak it in while I can. Whatever annoyance Omar serves up will be suppressed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    This is a new team though that Armas brought in from LA. We basically traded our shitty fitness department for theirs. I asked some of their supporters back then about their fitness guys and the responses were pretty much what I have been saying about ours for a few years.
    Are you sure about that? Checking https://www.torontofc.ca/club/staff -- Medical/Player Performance near the bottom:

And googling elsewhere, starting with: "Dr. Ira Smith is a practicing Primary Care Sport Medicine Physician in Toronto and has been the Head Team Physician with the Toronto FC since the team’s inception in 2007."

All 7 staff members on that "Medical/Player Performance" list seem to have been with Toronto FC for a long time. I can't find anyone on the complete staff list (incl. assistant coaches etc.) that came from LA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.torontofc.ca/news/toront...gh-performance Here's where we hired a former LAG person as our director of high performance.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't LAG take our guy first - basically this was a swap in all but name.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Didn't LAG take our guy first - basically this was a swap in all but name.
    Yeah, Vanney took our guy with him so we took theirs.

Reeks of Ali Curtis. Something happens unexpected so instead of doing his job and finding the best candidate, he just grabs the guy that got replaced because it's easier.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW

NER travelled up here this afternoon

My dog remains unimpressed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we get a different angle of your "dog".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    https://www.torontofc.ca/news/toront...gh-performance Here's where we hired a former LAG person as our director of high performance.
    Changes jobs really frequently. Yes, they are high level, but it makes me wonder. And most of his career was with a National team - quite a different role than for a club.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 08-14-2021 at 05:20 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Isn't very strange that Pierre Barrieu isn't listed anywhere on the TFC staff lists, 6 months later?

And the 7 guys on the "Medical/Player Performance" staff list have all been here much longer, and we've had problems for a number of years. Somehow the combo of old guys and new guys aren't getting it done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m a season ticket holder , I’m sure this has been discussed already many times, but too lazy to scroll through the forums. If I want to purchase tickets to a game I can only purchase within a certain time frame in my account manager? After that time frame is over I can’t purchase tickets for that particular game? I went in today but was unable to purchase tickets even though I have a full season ticket amount of money in my account for my single season ticket I own. I only own one SST but can I purchase two tickets for a particular game and then TFC just debits my balance for whatever those two tickets cost? Also as a SSTH do I get a discount on tickets purchased?
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 08-14-2021 at 11:30 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A reminder there is no GO Train service between Danforth and Union today (riders are being told to transfer to the subway at Danforth/Main Street station and take the TTC.

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    I’m a season ticket holder , I’m sure this has been discussed already many times, but too lazy to scroll through the forums. If I want to purchase tickets to a game I can only purchase within a certain time frame in my account manager? After that time frame is over I can’t purchase tickets for that particular game? I went in today but was unable to purchase tickets even though I have a full season ticket amount of money in my account for my single season ticket I own. I only own one SST but can I purchase two tickets for a particular game and then TFC just debits my balance for whatever those two tickets cost? Also as a SSTH do I get a discount on tickets purchased?
    No restriction to the time-frame.

Use the link in the email they sent at 9 AM on July 26 - it still works. I don't see anything cheaper than $33 though - though some decent pairs in the second deck on the west side.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So for me this is the big test for the season. We have had a full week to train, no internationals preceding. We were fortunate last time we played them (3 really fast goals). They will be ready, will have Buchanan but we are home and have our fans, and relatively healthy. Crossing fingers for POZ. To me this is the playoffs make or break game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very interested to see the starting lineup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Very interested to see the starting lineup.
    I'm randomly guessing both Bradley and Altidore start, but no Poz.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    I'm randomly guessing both Bradley and Altidore start, but no Poz.
    i'm guessing bradley and poz start, altidore from the bench