View Poll Results: Do we make the playoffs?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, not even close.

32 64.00%
  • No, but we come close to make it (within 3 points).

14 28.00%
  • Yes, but we go out in the 1st round.

0 0%
  • Yes, and we go out in the 2nd round.

2 4.00%
  • Yes, and we do not go out in the first 2 rounds.

2 4.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Other than Bradley, which MF is materially overpaid? When Bradley re-signed we were all happy it was for TAM rather than DP. If you go back to the forums from that time, I think the signing was received relatively positively. Our use of international spots has also not limited any signings. If anything, we're in such a good position because many of our top players are domestic and as a Canadian club we don't need to use international slots on Canadians. You could argue TFC could have flipped an international spot for a small bit of GAM.

Lots of bad moves that Curtis has made - just want us to actually focus on those rather than call every single move he made wrong.
    the bradley signing was 2 and half years ago and not looking good now ,delgado and oso are overpaid.bottomline is highest payroll last place.he had sell intl spots for gam because his cap management has been so bad

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    the bradley signing was 2 and half years ago and not looking good now ,delgado and oso are overpaid.bottomline is highest payroll last place.he had sell intl spots for gam because his cap management has been so bad
    I think we dumped those spots because Armas didn't want internationals, just domestic scrubs to do his pressing, and most of that GAM was used to sign Dwyer & Lawrence. I am not stupid enough to think we're flush with cap space but we could free up a lot with a couple off season sensible moves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you take a look at other players making similar amounts to Delgado and Oso, I think they stack up fine.

I thought you just said that we were using international slots on players who don't deserve it, now you're saying we had to sell international slots? We sold two slots for $425k total. I just don't see how keeping them would have been preferable. Do you want us to sell Oso and bring in a comparable international player just for the sake of it?

Like I said, lots of moves to not like from Ali, but I don't think resigning Delgado or not transferring Oso should be high on that list.

Also the Bradley signing was ~1.5 years ago, not 2.5 (although at this point its close to 2 years ago now). At the time of the signing the reaction from our forum was overwhelmingly positive. We can certainly look back at it with hindsight and regret it, but it seemed like a good deal at the time. Just go back and look at the comments: http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...y-thread/page9 and http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...cussion/page15

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they sold the intl spots for gam because the cap management is so bad ie cbs goalies all overpaid .delgado is overpaid i rather have a 19 yr old make the same mistakes that a delgado makes for 400k less.plus im sure they could of sold delgado for some gam.wasting money on usl caliber players with intl spots,is a waste,could of used to get maybe another cb,there were signs the last 6 or 7 games last season that the middle of d was in shambles last season and he did nothing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never rated Bradley particularly highly, not a popular opinion I know, but the TAM deal at the time was a good one. You can't go back in tine and apply what we know now to then and say it was a bad decision - getting him back on TAM money, at the time, was the right call and a nice bonus for us

The Jozy re-up was an unmitigated disaster and that was true at the moment it happened, but I don't know of many people who said anything bad about the Bradley one at the time including myself that's never been a big fan of him

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they sold the intl spots for gam because the cap management is so bad ie cbs goalies all overpaid .delgado is overpaid i rather have a 19 yr old make the same mistakes that a delgado makes for 400k less.plus im sure they could of sold delgado for some gam.wasting money on usl caliber players with intl spots,is a waste,could of used to get maybe another cb,there were signs the last 6 or 7 games last season that the middle of d was in shambles last season and he did nothing
    Couple points here; first the GK position is a waste of money. No way else to describe paying almost $500k for a keeper of Bono's ability. He is a below average MLS GK in 2021 and not starter material. Westberg's money is ok for a starter but $800K for 3 GKs is terrible and that's all down to Bono.

CB position actually a bit better cap wise without Ciman and Zavaleta's 2021 pay cut. Mavinga is Mavinga and does Mavinga things here and there but he earned what he gets. However he is also getting older and will have to transition to the 3rd CB or moved along in a year or so. Omar is 100% a waste of max cap space. Even bought down to that number with TAM it's still too high. Hopefully sanity reigns and he is allowed to go this off season so we can retool.

In midfield I have no problem with Osorio making what he gets as he is useful in a few midfield positions and is showing some leadership ability. Delgado admittedly is higher paid than I expected but he does do a job. In a perfect world he stays but he does have interest around the league and if he could score a chunk of allocation money I would move him on and try to save a bit of cash in a congested midfield. I would let DeLeon go as well to free some space for younger players.

Forward has a lot of unmovable waste too. Jozy is a waste of max cap space. Even if he got paid $700K it would be too much just like Gonzalez. As mentioned before, we'll probably have to eat it and use him as the most expensive Rickett's type late game substitution for another season. Anything Curtis paid Dwyer is too much so that's a total waste.

If we had a smart GM that acted fast and was ruthless, the cap and roster situation could be turned around in one off season. We do not have that though so I expect one more year with our manager (whoever that is) forced to make the best with an unbalanced, slow & aging roster.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    I've never rated Bradley particularly highly, not a popular opinion I know, but the TAM deal at the time was a good one. You can't go back in tine and apply what we know now to then and say it was a bad decision - getting him back on TAM money, at the time, was the right call and a nice bonus for us

The Jozy re-up was an unmitigated disaster and that was true at the moment it happened, but I don't know of many people who said anything bad about the Bradley one at the time including myself that's never been a big fan of him
    Yeah I agree, at the time I thought the Bradley signing was a good call to go to TAM...I mean the only thing I can recall that they could have done differently was probably do the physical (i thought i heard somewhere that he didn't undergo one). Why would you since we knew him and he has been with the team for years at that point. However his injury that he sustained in the finals just prior to signing could have potentially affected how they re-signed him. Not sure it would have made much of a difference or would it have? Obviously we also didn't know a pandemic was going to hit (which actually ended up helping the fact since he only missed two games).

So I guess I'm asking, if we did that physical and we find out that he is injured and required surgery and would be out (in a regular season) from Feb to July (since he was back for the MLS is back tourney) would we have taken that deal and signed him for as much? He also suffered two injuries in a shortened season last year of only 23 games. So he's for sure been hampered last year with the injuries and he wasn't the same, but this year he looked better in a couple of games.
    Still looking back I think I was pretty happy he went down to the TAM deal. The alternative was winning MLS cup and he was auto re-signed to his DP deal in a year which he would have also been injured and only made 12 of 23 appearances.

I think what they failed to do was what Bradley requested and he said sign another top level DP player if I'm going to take a TAM deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Idc. We're making the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Agreed. This season is over.

All the more reason to give players like Priso as many minutes as possible to help development.
    Not to be the person who quotes their own post but my opinion hasn’t changed. While the form has been better the points are simply not there. Roster limitations are simply too much for any manager to deal with right now.

The outcome that has the most long run utility here is not focusing on playoffs and instead gearing the team for next year and giving youth players minutes, where appropriate. I’m not talking about a free-for-all where we send out Nelson to run in random directions but rather giving time to guys like Shaffleburg and Okello who may actually have breakthroughs and making sure they play inside a system. Maybe Singh too if he can give his mistakes to a level no worse than Omar / Zavs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0.7%

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/Toronto.html

I would like to find a bookie that paid 130 to 1 if they made it….
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was one of the few who voted playoffs. It all starts Wednesday!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since I have put up the poll, I voted first - "No, but we come close to make it (within 3 points)."

I think I was wrong, should have put "No, not even close.", lol...
    I just don't see it now how this team will have a lot better final third of season. Also, I think the last 4-5 games all will be "garbage games", because we'll have no chance for playoffs, and the whole team will play all those games totally soulless, even if maybe 3-5 younger players will be on the pitch just to get a runout.

But of course, as always ... because hope dies last:
    I hope I'm wrong, and TFC will be world beaters in the remaining of the season, and Perez will turn out to be a great coach, with TFC for the next 5 seasons.