View Poll Results: How You Feeling About Home Games & Covid?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Got No Problem - Going

27 54.00%
  • Feeling a Little Unsafe but Still Going

10 20.00%
  • Seems Safe from watching it - will go soon

3 6.00%
  • Seems Safe from watching it - can't go due to family though

3 6.00%
  • Been - Feeling unsafe so not going back for a few months

4 8.00%
  • Been - Feeling unsafe - not going back this year

0 0%
  • Feels Unsafe from watching it - might go back in a few weeks

1 2.00%
  • Feels Unsafe from watching it - might go back later in the year

2 4.00%
  • Are You Crazy? That's a Toxic Delta Variant Soup - NO Freaking Way

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default So...Home Games are Back - Are People Feeling Safe About All This?

As the boxtop says

Yes, I'm a little over the top on the last option but people get the gist

Full disclosure - I picked the Seems Safe from watching it - will go soon

Just wondering what people are thinking...
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 07-22-2021 at 11:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was at the game yesterday and generally felt fine. It did get a bit crowded after the game in the concourse, particularly in some of the bathroom lineup areas. Next time I may just stay in my seats for a bit longer to avoid those crowds.

RPB Member
    Banners Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to the first game. I was comfortable around RBP members I know personally since they are all vax'd, comfortable walking and lining up around the venue because I could keep my distance from others and they were masked.

Situation changed in the stands. Once in my assigned seats I was very uncomfortable with people standing immediately behind me and unmasked, and the constant flow of people in and out of the row who were unmasked.

With lower than usual attendance my group simply shifted so we had space behind us, in front, and next to us - but people exiting the row constantly and always unmasked was too close for comfort without knowing their vax status.

I have a kid at home who is not eligible for a vax so even tho I am double vax'd it comes down to having confidence in at least 1 of these for me - masks, known vax status, or physical distancing. Right now BMO isn't offering or enforcing any of these once you are in the stands so I'll be staying away for now or I'll be wearing an N95 throughout the match if I do go and I can't shift a spot where I can distance properly.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love to attend a home game. But I'd rather wait until sometime when it's deemed safe to go maskless. I'll more than likely take a booster shot before that!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say if you are not comfortable being around unmasked people don't go yet. The mandatory mask policy unless eating or drinking doesn't exist in practice. South end was also more crowded than the ticket seating plan indicated but none of that was unexpected. Its outdoors and there was a breeze so the air circulation was good. The person I was with didn't feel comfortable eating at the seats due to the number of unmasked people nearby but felt fine doing so on the concourse. I've been fully vaxed for a while and double masked throughout and felt comfortable going and being there but living with immune compromised people I will defo be careful at home the next few weeks by masking and isolating more than I did before going to BMO. It did feel fantastic to get out though and see a game in person just be prepared to be more exposed than you might expect

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I've felt really safe. Everyone in my household's double-vaxxed (including me), and I keep my mask on whenever I don't eat. At this time, the mRNA vaccines are pretty good with the variants, so unless there's some bad news coming up, I'm not too concerned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thought of concern never even crossed my mind. Felt comfortable before during and after

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am doing the wait and see approach with this just like I am being careful with all other things opening back up and not going anywhere just yet. On TV at BMO Field it looked like more people were wearing masks compared to the US or Europe crowds at footy matches recently but that is just with the shots they used on TV so best info still comes from the people who were actually there. I would love to go to a live game but currently in no rush just yet but may go later in the year depending on how the case rates are after the reopening. Too early to tell yet for me. I also have a wife that immune compromised at home so I always have to be careful of that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
    I went to the first game. I was comfortable around RBP members I know personally since they are all vax'd, comfortable walking and lining up around the venue because I could keep my distance from others and they were masked.

Situation changed in the stands. Once in my assigned seats I was very uncomfortable with people standing immediately behind me and unmasked, and the constant flow of people in and out of the row who were unmasked.

With lower than usual attendance my group simply shifted so we had space behind us, in front, and next to us - but people exiting the row constantly and always unmasked was too close for comfort without knowing their vax status.

I have a kid at home who is not eligible for a vax so even tho I am double vax'd it comes down to having confidence in at least 1 of these for me - masks, known vax status, or physical distancing. Right now BMO isn't offering or enforcing any of these once you are in the stands so I'll be staying away for now or I'll be wearing an N95 throughout the match if I do go and I can't shift a spot where I can distance properly.
    I appreciate this feedback.

I hadn't thought about what I'd feel like with people standing behind me on a raised platform. I too have a young one who can't get vaxxed yet.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

double vaxxed, took in both games in 113.

crowd is sparse enough that you can always find a pretty free space to be with the people you came with (in your bubble).

felt very comfortable, felt very well organized.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have not been to a game yet, was away on holidays at the cottage when this all opened up and the Reds could host us. It is all very interesting reading the different perspectives. I am sure it was quite different with 7K there than the bigger crowd on Wednesday. To be honest I have been to TFC games with less, yes there were 5,324 at one of the Champions League matches back in the day. I am looking forward to August 1st and will compare it to the Jays game the next day. I have a feeling as I know from past experience 15K in the dome is not much. I actually bought social distanced seats for the Jays Cleveland next Tuesday too.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Have not been to a game yet, was away on holidays at the cottage when this all opened up and the Reds could host us. It is all very interesting reading the different perspectives. I am sure it was quite different with 7K there than the bigger crowd on Wednesday. To be honest I have been to TFC games with less, yes there were 5,324 at one of the Champions League matches back in the day. I am looking forward to August 1st and will compare it to the Jays game the next day. I have a feeling as I know from past experience 15K in the dome is not much. I actually bought social distanced seats for the Jays Cleveland next Tuesday too.
    I don't actually think the Wednesday crowd was that much bigger than Saturday, despite the official capacity being different for the two games. They had trouble getting rid of tickets for Wednesday. There seemed to be a ton of space open when watching on TV, for example in the upper east & west stands. North end seats still empty as well. That was nowhere close to 50% of capacity.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 07-22-2021 at 11:59 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding the poll, I did respond although it really depends; I'm more in a wait & see mood, and things could go either way.

Normally I'm only in the south end about every 3rd game because my regular seats are elsewhere. So I really don't have much to say. But could RPB perhaps support and encourage better mask wearing in the sections they currently control? I know not everyone there is RPB, but I feel the group has some sway. If not, that's fine, I'll just stay away for now.

I agree with some of what was written above. I went to the first game / July 17th and it was awesome. I specifically wanted to go to that game with 7k capacity (rather than the later games with up to 15k). Spacing was good on Saturday; we were in the first row so fresh air from in front of us; and it was just amazing to be back at BMO, with a good mask, have a fair bit of alcohol, cheering for the boys, and to be doing something completely different than the past 16 months.

But partway through the game, less than 25% were wearing their masks, regardless of whether they were eating or drinking. I was still very comfortable that day due to the space we had, but it definitely made me question going to games again.

I'm sitting out the 15k games for now until I see more how things go. Wednesday was so empty it would have been fine as well. I don't know how strict they're being with assigned seating, but it seems like if I had ended up in a spot on Wednesday where it's a bit crowded or annoying people close by, I could easily have moved to another spot where it was totally empty.

But what will it be like in the next games especially on weekends? Will it really be 15k i.e. more than every 2nd seat in use (considering not all sections of the stadium are open)? Will it continue to be less than 1/2 wearing a mask, even when not eating or drinking? Might Ontario opt for vaccine certificates after all? Where will Ontario's case, hospital & vaccination numbers head in the next few weeks? Are they going to allow 100% capacity at BMO in August? If we're going the way of the UK or the Netherlands, then I don't want to support that or be part of it, even if I'm personally not really concerned.

I'll keep an eye on the next games from home. I would attend mid-week games if they continue to be quiet, but it looks like the next mid-week home game won't be until mid-September (unless there are some Cdn Championship games added in the meantime). I might even attend weekend games if they don't reach 15k in the summer.

As an aside: after the Saturday game, I was getting ready to go home. There were a bunch guys there from the mosh pit two sections over in the south end. A number of them were mentioning that they really should get vaccinated soon, some with first shots some with second. That's the kind of stuff I don't want to remotely be associated with.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 07-23-2021 at 01:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    As an aside: after the Saturday game, I was getting ready to go home. There were a bunch guys there from the mosh pit two sections over in the south end. A number of them were mentioning that they really should get vaccinated soon, some with first shots some with second. That's the kind of stuff I don't want to remotely be associated with.
    What?! They were packed up real tight, too! In contrast, U-Sector's section was looking quite empty for much of the match, though I don't remember if it started to get filled up as the match went on.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All three scheduled Home August games remain at BMO with a 15,000 capacity. (TFC is not at home again for about a month after that).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my question is - if we've got season seats, are the tickets already in there?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    my question is - if we've got season seats, are the tickets already in there?
    No one is being given their specific seats - STH have the option of buying seats (anywhere in the stadium that they are being offered) in a presale at STH prices, and using the credit in their account manager to pay for it, or to pay with a CC and leave the $ in their account towards 2022 ST. No ST is under an obligation to buy any tickets for this year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Side note - you might be able to get pretty close to your actual seats though as I saw basically my seats (off by 1 seat number due to distancing) available when the Weds game went on sale — frankly I could have bought better ones for the same amount of money too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't actually think the Wednesday crowd was that much bigger than Saturday, despite the official capacity being different for the two games. They had trouble getting rid of tickets for Wednesday. There seemed to be a ton of space open when watching on TV, for example in the upper east & west stands. North end seats still empty as well. That was nowhere close to 50% of capacity.
    I think you are right about this. Looking at the seat map now and the upper east side is available. For last Wednesday's game, the lower awning area was the only section available up there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm fine for me, but a bit concerned for my 8-year old.

I'd assumed though that masks were still mandatory. They are optional? Given the transmission from singing being so much higher than everything else, I'm surprised.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    I'm fine for me, but a bit concerned for my 8-year old.

I'd assumed though that masks were still mandatory. They are optional? Given the transmission from singing being so much higher than everything else, I'm surprised.
    Masks are theoretically mandatory. But you can take them off to eat and drink. Towards the end of the game, less than 25% were wearing masks, regardless of whether they were eating or drinking.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last match didn't look much more than 7k. I know...midweek etc but I would expect closer to 15k tonight.

If not...long weekend cottagers I guess.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking forward to being back for the first time today. Will be interesting, hopefully its not too wet, but then again the Reds do well when it rains. Going to the Jays tomorrow and Tuesday so will be interested to compare.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually felt OK. Not much stupidity going on.

Yes, not in the South (did Innebratti all show up late cause I swear I didn't see them until 50 minutes in)

But only about 5% not wearing masks.

One thing though - bought a beer and felt self conscious drinking it. If I'm all by myself next game, MIGHT get a wine & sip it but still want to be careful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Inebriatti were there all game but seemed to have been doing some sort of sit down protest? until the 70th minute when they brought the place to life. I kept seeing the capo trying to make a move for the stand, and every time his group mates would grab him and have him sit back down.

They were MIA the game prior.

I've been to every game and it's fair to say that standing sections (not just the south) are pretty light on mask wearers. In fairness those areas are also heavier on beverage consumption so not trying to say anyone is being an asshole.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first game back at BMO was last game and have been to two Jays since. Mask wearing seems to be a little bit more compliant there. The Jays are also not socially distancing the infield seats, its shoulder to shoulder from third base around to first. I had outfield tickets that were distanced.

All in all I felt save.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    ^Inebriatti were there all game but seemed to have been doing some sort of sit down protest? until the 70th minute when they brought the place to life. I kept seeing the capo trying to make a move for the stand, and every time his group mates would grab him and have him sit back down.

They were MIA the game prior.

I've been to every game and it's fair to say that standing sections (not just the south) are pretty light on mask wearers. In fairness those areas are also heavier on beverage consumption so not trying to say anyone is being an asshole.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I've felt safe the last 2 games & will be going on Saturday

&

the way cases are going, I would be VERY surprised if we have fans in stands for all of September without a certificate system.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    OK, I've felt safe the last 2 games & will be going on Saturday

&

the way cases are going, I would be VERY surprised if we have fans in stands for all of September without a certificate system.
    Having attended the last two TFC games and pair of Jays games during their first homestead I felt safe at both. I actually saw a member of BMO Field security yell some one "If I see you with you mask off one more time, you are out of here". That was good to see.

I am really hoping we see with all the pressure that is coming his way Doug Ford will cave and move forward with a passport of some sort. With Quebec moving forward with one, I hope Ontario does too. It could really be a catalyst in getting some of the holdouts to get their shots if some activity is restricted.

Has it been established if a bar, restaurant in Ontario can ask for proof of vaccination and only serve those that have it? The passport could really help with keeping things in check as case numbers go back up. I know some are getting a shot due to health reasons etc but some of the unvaccinated really need to be protected from themselves.

On the essential side of things I am really taken back by the fact that being vaccinated will not be mandated for teachers in the province, especially considering the U11 crowd still can't event get a shot, really hope this changes. I am sure it holding some parents back from sending their kids to school come the fall.
    Last edited by Red CB Toronto; 08-10-2021 at 08:34 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After attending the first 7k game (which I thought was great) I said I would keep an eye on things before returning with the higher numbers of fans allowed. I’ve watched every game live on TV plus highlights since then. Every time I see a ton of people w/o masks, most of them obviously not eating or drinking, and many very close together. I’m surprised to hear that stadium security is monitoring this, because it doesn’t seem to be working. It’s probably too hard to monitor masking if many aren’t being compliant. Plus if somebody takes a sip of their beer every 3 minutes, maybe that’s enough to keep the mask off for the whole game w/o any complaints.

I also see some areas of the stadium very full, and some very empty. For those that have been to the last few games: if I ended up in an area that’s quite full, do you think I could move to an area that’s higher up and empty, or is stadium staff monitoring exactly where you sit?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the issue of finding wide open space, the east upper deck is the place to be. It's open and very sparse in terms of the number of people up there. Even the top of few rows of say 113 is not full at all. The are places to go if you want distanced space. For the upper deck you could enter BMO in the southeast corner and go straight up the strairs, thus having limited interaction with people if thats what you want. Mask enforcement in such an environment that BMO Field is, I think is a lost cause for the most part.

I see Quebec is implementing a vaccine passport as of Sept. 1 that will be required for all non-essential public space. Restaurants, Bars, gyms, concerts , sporting events etc. I really do hope the Ford government gives into the mounting pressure. Having only the vaccinated in the environments for the time being I will would have a positive effect on the rising numbers. I would also think it would be a major incentive for those that have not as of yet to get their shots.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...port-1.6136031

After attending the first 7k game (which I thought was great) I said I would keep an eye on things before returning with the higher numbers of fans allowed. I’ve watched every game live on TV plus highlights since then. Every time I see a ton of people w/o masks, most of them obviously not eating or drinking, and many very close together. I’m surprised to hear that stadium security is monitoring this, because it doesn’t seem to be working. It’s probably too hard to monitor masking if many aren’t being compliant. Plus if somebody takes a sip of their beer every 3 minutes, maybe that’s enough to keep the mask off for the whole game w/o any complaints.

I also see some areas of the stadium very full, and some very empty. For those that have been to the last few games: if I ended up in an area that’s quite full, do you think I could move to an area that’s higher up and empty, or is stadium staff monitoring exactly where you sit?