Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It won't because each player has different strengths.

Some of the comments here have been like Bono has lost his way and is no longer a good keeper. Well, he's a keeper who brought us to an MLS Cup final and I don't see any regression in his abilities. What has happened is that the league has changed.

Bono is a much better shot-stopper, so against a team like Chicago where there is a lot of direct shooting, Bono is the better choice.
    For more technical teams, Q's strengths of better positioning and distribution shines.
    I don't see why we have to choose one over the other all of the time.

In MLS today there are more teams that play to Q's strengths than Bono's, but an astute coach will play each of them in the right situation.
    I agree with this analogy 100% and we haven't seen Westberg due to injury.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of the comments here have been like Bono has lost his way and is no longer a good keeper. Well, he's a keeper who brought us to an MLS Cup final and I don't see any regression in his abilities. What has happened is that the league has changed.

Bono is a much better shot-stopper, so against a team like Chicago where there is a lot of direct shooting, Bono is the better choice.
    For more technical teams, Q's strengths of better positioning and distribution shines.

In MLS today there are more teams that play to Q's strengths than Bono's, but an astute coach will play each of them in the right situation.
    I agree but it should be said that perhaps if Q was in and he was organizing the backline as he usually does then maybe there aren't 13 saves to be made.

On a side note, if Q is out or isn't doing it for whatever reason, maybe TFC should hire a new person in the Vanney role of spending 90 minutes per match yelling at Omar to be in the right position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I agree but it should be said that perhaps if Q was in and he was organizing the backline as he usually does then maybe there aren't 13 saves to be made.

On a side note, if Q is out or isn't doing it for whatever reason, maybe TFC should hire a new person in the Vanney role of spending 90 minutes per match yelling at Omar to be in the right position.
    At BMO you could have 20,000....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I'm not arguing the premise, we can't really tell if he was a good keeper in 2017. Our defense was so good he was barely tested compared to most keepers in the league.

Yeah, he faced more long shots back then, too... but it wasn't because the league was so dramatically different or weaker five seasons ago, it was because the Drew Moor-led backline rarely gave him a decision to make with respect to claiming a ball or leaving it.

Now, he has to come out a lot more, our backline is beaten for speed more, more crosses make it into the box.

It's the defence that's different, not the keeper. Even in that great season, he was slightly error prone, dropping balls occasionally, missing the odd take. But it had zero consquences because he was always protected by the backline.

I don't think Vanney made him the number two out of shortsightedness. He did it because we had an error-prone keeper. I'd LIKE to think that changed, that the other day was the turnaround, but it'll take more than one great performance to suggest that's true.

(None of which suggests Q is the guy either; he's a great keeper by MLS standards, but he's 35 and coming off injury. I know keepers play later, but everyone has a clock.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    While I'm not arguing the premise, we can't really tell if he was a good keeper in 2017. Our defense was so good he was barely tested compared to most keepers in the league.

Yeah, he faced more long shots back then, too... but it wasn't because the league was so dramatically different or weaker five seasons ago, it was because the Drew Moor-led backline rarely gave him a decision to make with respect to claiming a ball or leaving it.

Now, he has to come out a lot more, our backline is beaten for speed more, more crosses make it into the box.

It's the defence that's different, not the keeper. Even in that great season, he was slightly error prone, dropping balls occasionally, missing the odd take. But it had zero consquences because he was always protected by the backline.

I don't think Vanney made him the number two out of shortsightedness. He did it because we had an error-prone keeper. I'd LIKE to think that changed, that the other day was the turnaround, but it'll take more than one great performance to suggest that's true.

(None of which suggests Q is the guy either; he's a great keeper by MLS standards, but he's 35 and coming off injury. I know keepers play later, but everyone has a clock.)
    This might be Q's last season. Bono has good reactions and did well against Chicago but it played to his strengths - for example, he mostly stayed on his line and let people head the ball from the edge of the 6. it worked, but first class keepers command the six. And his distribution has improved very little. Maybe a touch but no more than that. I feel sorry for him to be honest. This match might give him his confidence back but thats it. And if Q is on the decline we certainly need a number 1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    This might be Q's last season. Bono has good reactions and did well against Chicago but it played to his strengths - for example, he mostly stayed on his line and let people head the ball from the edge of the 6. it worked, but first class keepers command the six. And his distribution has improved very little. Maybe a touch but no more than that. I feel sorry for him to be honest. This match might give him his confidence back but thats it. And if Q is on the decline we certainly need a number 1.
    Risk wise, if someone came in for him after a strong series of performances, I would take the money and run. It's not like he hasn't had plenty of chances to prove himself since 2017.

We're mostly hardcores from 2006 on here, so it's easy for us to see one outstanding performance and hope the guy has turned a corner, but I'm nto sure that's going to happen. Fingers crossed, but...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Agree. Personally I think Bono only excels in the one area and everything else is lagging. It just so happens shot stopping is what people notice. Retaining possession, gathering a cross rather than standing on your line and asking your CB’s to deal with it, and communication with CB’s, all goes unnoticed.

Maybe Bono is over his case of the yips at this point (I’m sure that last game was a confidence builder) but I remain unconvinced he’s what we need at this stage of MLS. Josh Saunders also won a cup with LA and he’s basically as journeyman as they come. It worked cause that’s what was required at the time. Similarly Bono might have won in 17 but it’s a different league today.

Maybe Westberg isn’t the long term plan, but I certainly would not pencil in Bono for anything but a backup roll.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    The thing that makes me feel okay about Singh is his composure and confidence. When he’s on the ball he’s picking out passes that he has no business seeing or delivering. He did it to kickstart the second goal. Just pure composure on the ball to be able to remain calm, see the play and pick a pass like he did. All the more during a tire fire of a game. Definitely the kind of player who will bend not break and learn from mistakes imo. Not sure Julian Dunn has ever recovered from being fed to the wolves in 2018.
    singh has been responsible for huge giveaways leading to chances and goals regardless of what position he's played.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Maybe Westberg isn’t the long term plan, but I certainly would not pencil in Bono for anything but a backup roll.
    I think if he was forced to do a Zavaleta and cut his salary to a bench level number he would be a fine back up. They say he is good in the locker room and is good enough to do spot duty if needed or for Voyageur's Cup matches. However, at a $500K salary any GK should be a lock as the #1 and not be a question ever. The fact that there's even a debate over which of him & Q should start whichever matches means we should be doing better with that money. Tying up $800K+ on GKs (I don't know Silva's salary) is poor use of the cap and it should be addressed by Curtis.

But it won't be addressed. Neither will Omar. We'll probably re-sign everybody to raises and be more up against the cap next year because it's easier than doing GM work.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 07-28-2021 at 11:22 AM.