Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I don’t know my own opinion of Perez. I just like his dignity and his backbone.

The roster is horribly unbalanced - one CB (Mavinga) and one injury prone elite striker (Jozy). Elite midfield. So we ship goals and don’t score, but pass the ball beautifully at times.

That’s a fact and the arguments above by JLoome and others completely persuasive about the roster.

So what do we do with Perez? Great start but now the team has reverted to the mean. He is brave - he did what many critics on here have been calling for by substituting Jozy and MB - and he seems to command the respect of the players.

We will know after the international break if , when he has the ability to work with the team over an extended period of time, if he is able to impose a tactical system that works for the team. If so, he is a keeper.
    I do mostly agree with this. He has the rest of the season to show something. But if we are still fighting for dead last then he isn’t our guy. Because this team is not a dead last team. Not a top of the table team, but definitely not dead last. I do still think Perez is a good coach most likely. Again not a manager though.

We have been given a one two punch by that clown Curtis. He hasn’t been forward thinking with the roster, and he gave us a coach that destroyed the winning mentality in 3 months that had a foundation of 5 years. I still very much agree with everyone that our roster has declined in quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    But on this theory you have mentioned, can you explain how it is the Jays went from winning the World Series in '93, to finishing 55-60 the following season (strike shortened), to finishing tied for last in '95? With some minor adjustments, it appears the roster was mainly intact through those seasons.

The one big possibility I can think of is that they are a year older the following season, and hence, are not as effective, especially for the veteran guys.
    I apologize, I don’t follow baseball at all so have no idea the details of that to analyze it with you. If you have a soccer playing team to compare the drop to, i most likely know enough to analyze it.

Another example comes to mind with David Moyes taking over at Man U. While I think he was/is a good coach, he didn’t have that winning mentality of a manager to take over a title chasing team. He got too used to man management of a team fighting for a Europa spot and not going for the title. Of course he was going to fail taking over Man U. You think Ferguson was out there teaching vidic and Ferdinand how to defend?? No, he was out there motivating them and dictating the general playing style.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our previous manager sucked?

ooookkkkk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they mean Armas

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh...yeah

I seem to have conveniently blocked him out of my memory as an actual coach...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    But on this theory you have mentioned, can you explain how it is the Jays went from winning the World Series in '93, to finishing 55-60 the following season (strike shortened), to finishing tied for last in '95? With some minor adjustments, it appears the roster was mainly intact through those seasons.

The one big possibility I can think of is that they are a year older the following season, and hence, are not as effective, especially for the veteran guys.
    The Jays gutted their roster, letting go lots of good players like Jimmy Key and not replacing with quality. Ownership went from win at all costs to “compete on a budget”. And they raised the price of beer.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 09-01-2021 at 09:55 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are symmetries between the 1992-95 Jays and the 2019-21 Raptors. There was no Kawhi in 1993 but both loaded up with rentals and hired guns, key veterans on expiring contracts that were all gone within a year or two.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    There are symmetries between the 1992-95 Jays and the 2019-21 Raptors. There was no Kawhi in 1993 but both loaded up with rentals and hired guns, key veterans on expiring contracts that were all gone within a year or two.
    Yes. They also let excellent long term players go. And raised the price of beer because of success. Went from 4 million attendance to 1.3 virtually overnight and took 25 years to recover. All the execs got a bonus though. And plaudits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The last five games have been a revelation for this team, and it seems like Perez may be a true pragmatist. When I first read his background it gave me great hope that he’d be a coach who would truly follow the data and not make all his decisions based on biases. The fact that he’s been able to find a winning setup in the midst of so many injuries, and has motivated the team to two comeback victories is very promising. I don’t think it’s time to renew him for next year yet, but if he continues like this until the end of the year, he definitely deserves a chance at a full season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree... I think the turnaround that he has performed is enough to give him a full year (Still sack Ali, tho). Look at it this way- When Vanney left, we lost arguably the best coach in MLS at the time, so the chances of replacing him with someone of like or greater talent was low because the bar was set so high (and our FO is crap). If we get rid of Perez, is it more or less likely that we will find someone who manages to get the team playing at their best potential?

I think we have seen that JP can do that, and with some replacements for Omar, Morrow and possibly Mavinga and Poz I think we can safely say that he can coach the team to a contention spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    The last five games have been a revelation for this team, and it seems like Perez may be a true pragmatist. When I first read his background it gave me great hope that he’d be a coach who would truly follow the data and not make all his decisions based on biases. The fact that he’s been able to find a winning setup in the midst of so many injuries, and has motivated the team to two comeback victories is very promising. I don’t think it’s time to renew him for next year yet, but if he continues like this until the end of the year, he definitely deserves a chance at a full season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Agree on everything you said, but the last two home wins must be taken with a big grain of salt, because we played two very bad teams, with very bad away stats (I would say same kind of bad teams like TFC per whole season so far).
    Yes, Perez is promising so far, but let's see how we do at home with 2 middle-pack teams (at least that good), and I would be sold only after that on him, if TFC's results would be still OK.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 10-05-2021 at 05:43 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coaching/playing tests left would be every game but Miami

Atlanta, Philly, DCU & Montreal are all well coached playoff hunting teams in need of points

Nashville & Colorado played down to us - lets see what happens when teams fighting for their playoff lives go up against us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Past experiences tell us Manning and Curtis are debilitatingly slow and resistant to change. If current form continues Perez likely stays, this roster will be tweaked rather than get the overhaul it needs and we will continue to lose. Maybe we’ll be mid table, but overall we’ll still lose. This club just wreaks of corporate rot right now, and the fact that Perez might actually keep this job is proof enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaving aside anything merit based, I have two ideas of how Curtis (if he survives) and Manning might think of this:

1) this is my last chance to get it right, better to go out on a name brand coach than trust the current guy

2) avoid a high priced signing because that just further serves to point out the mistake of hiring Armas (who is likely still being paid severance). Perez is a known quantity in terms of interactions. Ali’s already been eaten by one subordinate already, doubt he takes that chance again, although given the limited options here he might have no choice but to bring in someone and hope they aren’t overly aggressive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    Agree on everything you said, but the last two home wins must be taken with a big grain of salt, because we played two very bad teams, with very bad away stats (I would say same kind of bad teams like TFC per whole season so far).
    Yes, Perez is promising so far, but let's see how we do at home with 2 middle-pack teams (at least that good), and I would be sold only after that on him, if TFC's results would be still OK.
    Yes, fair. We looked good but those two teams are terrible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Past experiences tell us Manning and Curtis are debilitatingly slow and resistant to change. If current form continues Perez likely stays, this roster will be tweaked rather than get the overhaul it needs and we will continue to lose. Maybe we’ll be mid table, but overall we’ll still lose. This club just wreaks of corporate rot right now, and the fact that Perez might actually keep this job is proof enough.
    Agree with all of this except last point. Perez might (might) be the accidental coach we need. Every thing else is corporate rot - inheriting the best team ever assembled in this league and messing it up completely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with all of this except last point. Perez might (might) be the accidental coach we need. Every thing else is corporate rot - inheriting the best team ever assembled in this league and messing it up completely.
    Doesn’t it just say all sorts of wrong things about the league the way it selects its coaches? Way too much nepotism.

And I think about Frank Klopas coaching the Fire on the weekend. Even as an interim, is there really nobody better? He’s garbage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, fair. We looked good but those two teams are terrible.
    We would have lost them both a few months ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Doesn’t it just say all sorts of wrong things about the league the way it selects its coaches? Way too much nepotism.

And I think about Frank Klopas coaching the Fire on the weekend. Even as an interim, is there really nobody better? He’s garbage.
    Yes. The league is explicitly set up to train American coaches. Huge bias to hire retreads for that reason. I actually feel bad for Chris Armas - how is he ever going to work again? Exposed badly by this job. By all accounts a decent person just clearly out of his depth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    We would have lost them both a few months ago.
    Yes. True.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. The league is explicitly set up to train American coaches. Huge bias to hire retreads for that reason. I actually feel bad for Chris Armas - how is he ever going to work again? Exposed badly by this job. By all accounts a decent person just clearly out of his depth.
    I hold not malice against the guy personally but clearly being a head coach I was not his ticket. I’m sure there is something else around the game he can be provided an opportunity to do.

I heck if Klopas is still working and Fernando Clavijo somehow found work after being an epic failure for years in Colorado, there’s hope for old Armas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hold not malice against the guy personally but clearly being a head coach I was not his ticket. I’m sure there is something else around the game he can be provided an opportunity to do.

I heck if Klopas is still working and Fernando Clavijo somehow found work after being an epic failure for years in Colorado, there’s hope for old Armas.
    True and for his sake I hope so. Suspect it will be college coaching.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perez should be given next year imo.

has shown more than enough, some of the attacking play in the last month has been incredible, and with so many players out too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    Perez should be given next year imo.

has shown more than enough, some of the attacking play in the last month has been incredible, and with so many players out too.
    No. This is something important.

The board make the call on Manning/Curtis, and then they or their successors make the call on the manager.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The board make the call on Manning/Curtis, and then they or their successors make the call on the manager.
    This is the way these things should always be handled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In an ideal world yes but judging by public appearances, it seems at least Manning’s job is safe.

Once again, our overlords asleep at the wheel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In an ideal world yes but judging by public appearances, it seems at least Manning’s job is safe.

Once again, our overlords asleep at the wheel.
    If he can win consistently with this broken roster -- as in, most of the rest of our games, not just this short stretch against other bottom feeders -- then I think we'd be mad not consider him. He's taken a broken dressing room and turned it around, moulded Shaff into a tier better player than he was, has Omar playing less like a chicken with his head cut off than any time since right after we signed him.

But so far, the only difficult team we've beaten is Nashville. If we keep beating or tying top teams and collect most of the rest of the points on hand, that says an awful lot about his abilities, because from the way players were talking and performing, this was a broken, demoralized team. And it doesn't look like one now.

If he can do that with major pieces missing and no future guarantees, he surely can do more with a competitive roster.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    But so far, the only difficult team we've beaten is Nashville. If we keep beating or tying top teams and collect most of the rest of the points on hand, that says an awful lot about his abilities, because from the way players were talking and performing, this was a broken, demoralized team. And it doesn't look like one now.
    I was 100% against Perez being re-hired at first and still think the final decision should be whoever the new GM perfers but Perez has shown something. So far he is clearly better than Armas but that's not saying much and managed a few things Vanney hadn't (keeping Omar in position, changing the game through subs). Down the stretch we're playing a lot of on the bubble and jockeying for position teams so if we can pull a decent run out with our current squad then that should at least put him in the mix for the full time gig.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of the best managers look at our roster situation and see a complete overhaul is needed, bad contracts and potentially no DP option for next year is not an attraction. They want long term garuntees.

Does anyone of note want to actually work with Manning? Lets not even talk about Ali, no one of any experience wants to work with him, he needs to go full stop.

We are not a prime destination at the moment. Perez gets the job by default.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say the grade on the manager for last night had to be an F.

Started players who played CONCACAF & they suffered.

Subbed in JMR for Achara in order to maintain the shape but then decided at minute 50 (when Jozy & Poz got up) to change the shape anyways & thus causing JMR to have to leave. Should have changed the shape after the Achara injury with Mullins in the middle (who would have done better against their defence) & then if need be, take him out.

If this team is trying to get set up for the Voyageurs, last night did not help.

Miami sets up really well for our team & is in a big funk right now so that game should go well. But Montreal next Saturday, beyond being a derby against the rivals, is a much tougher match.