Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why am I imagining Curtis phoning his buddies seeing if any of them want to be interim, with Perez being a backup choice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Yeah, ballsy move.

My experience in getting promoted repeatedly despite being kind of nuts at the time is they don't care as long as you come good; but ballsy and speaking your mind when it really matters pretty much always beats staying quiet and taking it up the rump. Nobody ever got anywhere by not doing anything (okay, completely untrue in business where quiet easy going guys are peter princpled all the fucking time. But it sounded good).
    I like it. He is basically telling management he wants a shot or fire me too, maybe tired of being second fiddle.

I don't see why he shouldn't get a shot, he has got experience as an assistant, can work with youth, he really has nothing to loose form his perspective.

Is TFC going to find a better interim on such short notice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    "Permanent Interim". Nice.
    Yeah I liked that too.

Also the timeline. The goal is Monday, maybe before that. It could conceivably take longer too, but Monday was just the goal, not a hard deadline.
    Last edited by Canary10; 07-08-2021 at 03:46 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    As someone who works in government, I have to really appreciate this quote from Curtis in all its non-sensical and ambiguous glory:

"(The) goal is to name a permanent interim (coach) prior to Monday training, likely before that.”
    Totally private sector - didn't use the word "stakeholder" or "consultation"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I like it. He is basically telling management he wants a shot or fire me too, maybe tired of being second fiddle.

I don't see why he shouldn't get a shot, he has got experience as an assistant, can work with youth, he really has nothing to loose form his perspective.

Is TFC going to find a better interim on such short notice?
    I don't know how much coaching it takes to say "keep it simple, move in triangles, maintain your defensive shape and zone."

I seriously think that's all we did differently last night. We overlapped when it was there, we tried to break through the lines methodically with short, quick passes. Fewer mistakes equals fewer mistakes to be capitalized on.

But either way, he said the right things. I figure they should give him at least a couple more but with the Gold Cup break here, if they're going another way it will be now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knowing Curtis it will be an MLS 1.0 panic interim, Curt Onalfo or Dominic Kinnear. Terrible move, probably, but it would be par for the course for him to not even consider the dude who just won a game against the east leaders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Totally private sector - didn't use the word "stakeholder" or "consultation"
    Ha, fair. Although we don't consult, we engage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knowing Curtis it will be an MLS 1.0 panic interim, Curt Onalfo or Dominic Kinnear. Terrible move, probably, but it would be par for the course for him to not even consider the dude who just won a game against the east leaders.
    I don't know how much coaching it takes to say "keep it simple, move in triangles, maintain your defensive shape and zone."

I seriously think that's all we did differently last night. We overlapped when it was there, we tried to break through the lines methodically with short, quick passes. Fewer mistakes equals fewer mistakes to be capitalized on.

But either way, he said the right things. I figure they should give him at least a couple more but with the Gold Cup break here, if they're going another way it will be now.
    Yeah I know it's way to soon to judge, the coach, and the team as well given he was given it was like two days.

If we need someone to steady the ship I think you look at some like Schellas Hyndman. Not sure if he is up for this generation of MLS, but he fits into Mannings rolodex I think. Currently coaching NCAA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schellas_Hyndman
    Last edited by Richard; 07-08-2021 at 04:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope you're wrong because Hyndman is the epitome of MLS 1.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found this part of the article astonishing; I think it means that if they dont name a "Permanent Interim" Javier will be an "Interim interim": A source, granted anonymity because they were not authorized to speak on the matter, said TFC does not plan an official announcement extending Perez's interim role. Instead , Perez will just be allowed to continue in the job.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WTF now, I think Curtis might be looking for someone who will implement his plan. Cant have Perez because he actually won, keeping it simple. #secretNYRBplot #curtisout
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 07-09-2021 at 01:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Why am I imagining Curtis phoning his buddies seeing if any of them want to be interim, with Perez being a backup choice?
    Because it's exactly what he's doing right now...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I found this part of the article astonishing; I think it means that if they dont name a "Permanent Interim" Javier will be an "Interim interim": A source, granted anonymity because they were not authorized to speak on the matter, said TFC does not plan an official announcement extending Perez's interim role. Instead , Perez will just be allowed to continue in the job.

There's no point in bringing anyone in at this point to just be a caretaker. We have one, stick with him until you can find the right guy.

And there's no need to make grand announcements about extending Perez as the caretaker.

These were bills exact words:

"...Look to have an interm in place for the time being and then as we move forward see how that goes and then make a longer term decision as we see how it plays out..."

Javier IMO is that interm. I would hate to see an outsider brought in to see out the season. It's a waste of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm actually starting to feel angry now at Armas being hired when I look at Perez's CV - the guy is fucking light years more qualified than Armas to be coach ... what the hell is he doing only as an assistant?

This reeks to me of a guy who has just never been given a chance for whatever reason even though he deserves it. Maybe he's always been too sanguine.

I think he should realize this is finally his chance, grab it by the balls and make it his job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    There's no point in bringing anyone in at this point to just be a caretaker. We have one, stick with him until you can find the right guy.

And there's no need to make grand announcements about extending Perez as the caretaker.

These were bills exact words:

"...Look to have an interm in place for the time being and then as we move forward see how that goes and then make a longer term decision as we see how it plays out..."

Javier IMO is that interm. I would hate to see an outsider brought in to see out the season. It's a waste of time.
    I agree with you.

But if they are going with Javier they should say it. Incredibly disrespectful to him, to the club, and to the supporters not to confirm it. Imagine Man U or Chelsea behaving that way - oh yea, “Giggs is taking the club for today’s match” and then silence? And what message does it send to the players if you don’t actually say “this guy is the one”. It’s bizarre and unprofessional.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you.

But if they are going with Javier they should say it. Incredibly disrespectful to him, to the club, and to the supporters not to confirm it. Imagine Man U or Chelsea behaving that way - oh yea, “Giggs is taking the club for today’s match” and then silence? And what message does it send to the players if you don’t actually say “this guy is the one”. It’s bizarre and unprofessional.
    Yeah the presser was sloppy, nothing was prepared in regards to statements. It took John Molinaro and like 10 minutes into the overall presser to have Perez confirmed as interim. Should that not be the second item on your list of things to talk about?

It's like they begrudgingly gave him the job because they realized no-one wants to come into the shit show.

Now we got Perez showing them two up by talking about "no-one has told me otherwise" regarding coaching the next game.

I think Ensco is right about Manning and Curtis being in a weak position. Lets just hope this Perez guy isn't going to get all egotistical.

Strange all around.
    Last edited by Richard; 07-10-2021 at 11:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Yeah the presser was sloppy, nothing was prepared in regards to statements. It took John Molinaro and like 10 minutes into the overall presser to have Perez confirmed as interim. Should that not be the second item on your list of things to talk about?

It's like they begrudgingly gave him the job because they realized no-one wants to come into the shit show.

Now we got Perez showing them two up by talking about "no-one has told me otherwise" regarding coaching the next game.

I think Ensco is right about Manning and Curtis being in a weak position. Lets just hope this Perez guy isn't going to get all egotistical.

Strange all around.
    Yes. We don’t know Perez or much about him, except he won his first game with excellent football in the first half and he has a pretty impressive background.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. We don’t know Perez or much about him, except he won his first game with excellent football in the first half and he has a pretty impressive background.
    Excited to see what he can do with some actual prep time.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perez was named to MLS team of the week, along with Soteldo

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/team-...ash-in-week-12

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://as.com/futbol/2021/07/26/mig...79_266794.html

Making the papers in Spain. Nothing we don't know already, but some notable attention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://as.com/futbol/2021/07/26/mig...79_266794.html

Making the papers in Spain. Nothing we don't know already, but some notable attention.
    Thanks.

Google translate of the last paragraph:

The Valladolid man has a great advantage: he has known many of his footballers for almost a decade. He managed Delgado on the US Youth national team and coincided with Bradley and Altidore, two of the locker room's heavyweights, in the senior team. "It is something that, as a coach, I must take advantage of," said Javier Pérez who was forced to, at least, bring Toronto FC closer to the play-off positions for the MLS Cup. After 15 matches played and with eight still ahead , the 'reds' occupy the 11th position in the Eastern Conference and are nine points behind the seventh place. They will fight. And they will do it accompanied by their fans because, after several months settled in the United States due to travel restrictions due to the pandemic, they were able to return to Toronto and play at their stadium, BMO Field. Good news never comes by itself.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perez, while better than Armas, doesn't seem to be our long term solution.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Perez, while better than Armas, doesn't seem to be our long term solution.
    It's a bit unfair on him to judge but that's probably the case.

The roster situation right now is a serious problem. But it's clear from player statements (Omar thinks they've been 'naive', which is what arrogance looks like to the arrogant) that they think it's bad luck or 'naivete' or some other factor than talent.

It's not. It's talent, or inability brought on by age. We were already unbalanced, now even our better players are older and slower and can't accept it.

I don't think there's much he can do to influence a group so deluded by its own largesse. Once the initial bounce was over, they lost the "urgency" we saw early in the win and draws and went back to the "swagger" of thinking they can dictate the speed of the game.

That's not going to change until the personnel changes. But if they clean house, the new GM will want to hire his own guy, and why wouldn't he, given how little actual managing experience Perez has.

This just isn't the "first shot" for anyone.

What they probably should do is throw enough money at Jim Curtin to be GM and head coach that he can't turn it down. I don't imagine Philly is paying him what he's worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a bit unfair on him to judge but that's probably the case.

The roster situation right now is a serious problem. But it's clear from player statements (Omar thinks they've been 'naive', which is what arrogance looks like to the arrogant) that they think it's bad luck or 'naivete' or some other factor than talent.

It's not. It's talent, or inability brought on by age. We were already unbalanced, now even our better players are older and slower and can't accept it.

I don't think there's much he can do to influence a group so deluded by its own largesse. Once the initial bounce was over, they lost the "urgency" we saw early in the win and draws and went back to the "swagger" of thinking they can dictate the speed of the game.

That's not going to change until the personnel changes. But if they clean house, the new GM will want to hire his own guy, and why wouldn't he, given how little actual managing experience Perez has.

This just isn't the "first shot" for anyone.

What they probably should do is throw enough money at Jim Curtin to be GM and head coach that he can't turn it down. I don't imagine Philly is paying him what he's worth.
    How long did it take Jim Curtin to build up Philadelphia's academy into an Ajax of North America? Might be too long for the fans to be patient for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are definitely leading into a world wide search that ends with Ben Olsen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

18% Perez compared to 13% Armas of total points, Perez is just Armas Jr.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob Bradley as coach and GM.

Not sure I like it but....its the most likely outcome right now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could definitely see it happening.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First thing that comes to mind is... dour.