Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Gonna end up taking a long break if the best this interim coaching search ends with Caldwell or something.
    I hate his commentating because it's just laden with Scottish angst and a willingness to be starkly tougher on the home side.

But I suspect he'd be a very good manager.

He's respected by peers, he's not rash to speak out, he has his UEFA 'A' license and he captained every team he was ever on.

The question with a guy like him -- and Carl Robinson before him -- is whether they have tactical nous. And we won't see that until someone gives him a gig.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I hate his commentating because it's just laden with Scottish angst and a willingness to be starkly tougher on the home side.

He's respected by peers, he's not rash to speak out, he has his UEFA 'A' license and he captained every team he was ever on.

The question with a guy like him -- and Carl Robinson before him -- is whether they have tactical nous. And we won't see that until someone gives him a gig.
    My worry is that he tries to play the football that they played on most of the sides he captained.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    And Olsen or Kreis.
    I’m guessing that most of us would agree that a coach for TFC should have a real pedigree or be a proven commodity from in-house. The problem is who is available and willing to come here. Either way, Manning better make sure the next hire is vetted properly and can stand behind their past results, not just be someone’s buddy or talk their way in, or firing Curtis might not save his job either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My worry is that he tries to play the football that they played on most of the sides he captained.
    Yeah, the route one hoof it 442 was Robbo's preference too. But Caldwell took his license at the end of his career, which was just a few years ago, and tactics and training changed pretty drastically over the last decade or so, so there's reason to think he may see it more as an application of your assets than trying to wedge players into systems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Yeah, he might have potential as a manager. I would just rather him manage an actual professional side before he is handed a job because of his ties to the team. As far as I can tell besides his license his only coaching experience comes from helping out Herdman with the MNT a handful of times. Munoz or Perez have far more reason and credentials to be given a shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The move here is you fire him Sunday, announce that and the interim within a press release. Have a proper presser on Monday Morning that gives you the time to tell a proper story and look like professionals. Honestly, I don’t see why that’s hard.

My $0.02 is they wanted to cram it in on the weekend under short notice to avoid headlining anybody’s news cycle with their failures. And yet, in doing so, they made themselves look even worse with a lack of preparedness and vague answers to softball questions. Their plan is stupid and only speaks to their continued lack of foresight. They have to run a process for a suitable interim, after giving Perez the reigns for as little as 4 days? Really? That person should have been on staff this entire time!

We should be thanking Armas for so readily exposing how incompetent his bosses are. Rarely do you see guys in these positions so readily exposed and face planting

Ali Curtis is the Rob Babcock of Toronto FC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Their plan is stupid and only speaks to their continued lack of foresight. They have to run a process for a suitable interim, after giving Perez the reigns for as little as 4 days? Really? That person should have been on staff this entire time!
    If they choose Perez then he already was. I'm not ruling out him getting the gig no matter what was said. Like I said before, they go for what's easiest and that's easy. Will all come down to how the team responds tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they choose Perez then he already was. I'm not ruling out him getting the gig no matter what was said. Like I said before, they go for what's easiest and that's easy. Will all come down to how the team responds tomorrow.
    But it’s the gig that’s not even a gig. This is like an episode of Seinfeld where everybody is floating in some weird state of ambiguity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But it’s the gig that’s not even a gig. This is like an episode of Seinfeld where everybody is floating in some weird state of ambiguity
    I'm all for hiring Bizzaro Vanney

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awkward, though. He's on Armas staff and was announced as a hire by Armas. If he does well, he's still not experienced enough to be given the main job... but the new coach is probably going to want his own staff, at which point you have to fire the guy who did well for you as interim manager.

They can't give Perez any real responsibility until a new long-term manager decides his fate as a coach.

More likely, they'll have a shortlist of "interims" who have potential to take the job full-time, guys who are out of work but have a pedigree like Onolfo and Alonso, then give them a trial run while widening the search for an offseason hire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The move here is you fire him Sunday, announce that and the interim within a press release. Have a proper presser on Monday Morning that gives you the time to tell a proper story and look like professionals. Honestly, I don’t see why that’s hard.
    They're both Americans. They figured that a 4pm presser would get buried under Fourth of July news stories.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found this little tidbit in the Power Rankings writeup for TFC this week:
    I remain convinced all you have to do to adequately manage a team like Toronto is put the extremely talented players out there in the positions they’re supposed to play and not actively have your tactics interfere with them being extremely talented. That can be harder to figure out than expected, but so far through their first two games without Chris Armas, they’ve taken four points against two of the league’s top teams.
    I don't if it's just me, but it sounds like this is the closest the writers could get to throwing shade at Armas' tactical acumen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Armas wants to be a coach, he should spend a couple of years getting his licenses, then go to USL 2 or something and try to work his way back up.

Or maybe he should just do something else completely different.