Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Some thoughts on whose next here.. all speculation of course

https://mlsmultiplex.com/2021/07/04/...xt-head-coach/
    That dude is not credible. Carl Robinson? Does he know Carl Robinson’s actual history and the things that went on in Vancouver? He is about as likely to get another shot as Mo Johnston.

Edit: He’s also on record saying Armas would be a great hire and win multiple trophies with TFC.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 07-05-2021 at 08:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Another role being exposed big time.
    Fake it til' you make it baby, just like the rest of us at our jobs lol

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    That dude is not credible. Carl Robinson? Does he know Carl Robinson’s actual history and the things that went on in Vancouver? He is about as likely to get another shot as Mo Johnston.

Edit: He’s also on record saying Armas would be a great hire and win multiple trophies with TFC.
    Anyone can pontificate on a random fan website, doesn't mean they are more knowledgeable than the people here. I'd rather read someone truly knowledgeable, looking forward to real journalists like Molinaro's take on things.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know.. i thought that one was funny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't Dyer actually break the Armas to Toronto stuff? Or am I getting him mixed up with someone else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Yeah. Rollins sometimes seem to throw stuff at the wall and hope it sticks. With Singh throwing out that Caldwell stuff I am all aboard the Munoz for interim coach train.
    Could not agree more. Absolute blow hard who runs into one occasionally, but gets 10 wrong for every one of those. Minimum.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't Dyer actually break the Armas to Toronto stuff? Or am I getting him mixed up with someone else?

Oh, it was him. His tweet about it got on the "MLS Images that Preceeded Unfortunate Events" TL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Klokes article in the Athletic is absolutely scathing towards Curtis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't read it, but the article title seems to indicate that Manning and Curtis share the blame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kloke goes in hard on 1) The roster not being set up to press 2) not getting in reinforcements quick enough and 3) management being too overconfident in their defensive options. Those are all things in Curtis's purview. And the kicker " multiple sources told the athletic that Curtis stuck his neck out to hire Armas, even if many otherS throughout the club were not completey on board with his underwhelming track record"

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was not a good presser yesterday for Curtis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Kloke goes in hard on 1) The roster not being set up to press 2) not getting in reinforcements quick enough and 3) management being too overconfident in their defensive options. Those are all things in Curtis's purview. And the kicker " multiple sources told the athletic that Curtis stuck his neck out to hire Armas, even if many otherS throughout the club were not completey on board with his underwhelming track record"
    God I want a townhall so badly, how hard is it to set up a zoom call

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the kicker " multiple sources told the athletic that Curtis stuck his neck out to hire Armas, even if many otherS throughout the club were not completey on board with his underwhelming track record"
    That’s pretty damning. We always look at Curtis and Manning as some sort of unified entity but this is the first sign of cracks forming. Those two did not look to be on the same page in yesterday’s presser.

I almost wonder if Bill Manning was concerned that if he let Ali handle it (the presser), the whole exercise would be even more of a tire fire than it already is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Can't read it, but the article title seems to indicate that Manning and Curtis share the blame.
    It's worth getting a subscription.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s pretty damning. We always look at Curtis and Manning as some sort of unified entity but this is the first sign of cracks forming. Those two did not look to be on the same page in yesterday’s presser.

I almost wonder if Bill Manning was concerned that if he let Ali handle it (the presser), the whole exercise would be even more of a tire fire than it already is.
    I never took them as a single entity or any of that. It seemed to me like Manning wanted Curtis to be like Bez and run the team on the day to day and be in control of the roster especially since MLSE expanded Manning's role. Since Manning has seen his realm of duties extended beyond TFC, things have somewhat come off the rails even if the results didn't until now. It's pretty commonplace to operate in that way when the president's role is convering two teams and who knows what else but it is his fault for choosing Curtis for this role and sticking with him even though there were signs of trouble (Poz deal hold up + more money paid, Gonzalez option, Jozy option, not targeting a CB, Jozy banishment, whatever happened with Borre, Armas hire).

I think Curtis is on incredibly thin ice now and judging by his look at that presser, he knows it too. I expect that the summer window and the rest of this season will decide Curtis' fate. I don't know if Manning would have told him playoffs or out but it wouldn't surprise me. Afterall, it'd be Manning having tough Fall meetings with the board if the highest payrolled team in MLS finished the year battling for the wooden spoon.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your last part makes me believe this firing never would have happened unless results were literally bottom of the barrel. Any glimmer of hope Ali would have kept Armas on as it meant he was also responsible for it. Kind of makes sense now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slightly OT but to expand on the comment above re: Borré.

I don’t fault Curtis for trying… or that it ultimately failed. But I do get the sneaking suspicion that he didn’t clue in fast enough that he was being used as a stalking horse to drive interest elsewhere. Hard to believe three player ever had any intention of signing here.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm no expert on the topic, but the body language of Manning during the presser (eg looking away when Curtis was speaking) seemed to me to indicate that Manning blames Curtis 100% for this fiasco and that Curtis is on thin ice. If I was Curtis, I'd make sure the resume is up to date.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I'm no expert on the topic, but the body language of Manning during the presser (eg looking away when Curtis was speaking) seemed to me to indicate that Manning blames Curtis 100% for this fiasco and that Curtis is on thin ice. If I was Curtis, I'd make sure the resume is up to date.
    that's my read as well.

Manning is going to do the next manager hiring. Curtis is just around to do admin until the next manager is hired, because Manning can't do Curtis's job with all his responsibilities
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure that if Curtis hadn't just signed an extension he would of been gone yesterday aswell.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheeler clarifies that Perez is not the interim coach, but will be overseeing the upcoming game(s). TFC is looking for an interim right now to take over for the rest of the season while they complete a full coaching search.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post

Wheeler clarifies that Perez is not the interim coach, but will be overseeing the upcoming game(s). TFC is looking for an interim right now to take over for the rest of the season while they complete a full coaching search.
    That obviously confirms that the press conference was a badly-prepared shit show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    That obviously confirms that the press conference was a badly-prepared shit show.
    Indeed. If they wanted to walk in there and portray the message this was an isolated problem with the coach, they did the exact opposite with their sloppy execution.

But maybe the good news is, these cockroaches aren’t as hidden from the sunlight as we maybe assumed. Both had the look on their face like they were on thin ice with their bosses.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post

This is how I took what they said in the presser. As I expected, Manning especially knows the ice has thinned and he isn't chancing his job on letting Curtis pick another manager, even an interim. This Perez guy looks like he ticks some boxes but he is a carry over from the Armas disaster so he is at least slightly culpable and since he was on that staff I am not sure how respected he will be in our locker room. I think we still need a guy with some gravitas to shake the players up a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonna end up taking a long break if the best this interim coaching search ends with Caldwell or something.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They didn't game out that presser - rushed. Probably didn't take time to breathe during the 2 hours after the announcement & that presser. That looked like they spent the intervening time talking through things with some stakeholders (staff or players).

To be fair, they had answers just no talking notes. Seen a lot worse, to be honest, but could have been better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a American who has played with either of them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, I think it's pretty evident that Armas was not remotely close to being fired until the 7-1 debacle. That happened and there was no choice. Normally, when they know they are close to firing their coach, they already have an interim manager prepared. They were prepared to ride out Armas, but after that shitshow, they knew they were well past the point-of-no-return. I wouldn't be surprised if Tannenbaum called them and said something needs to change now. Guarantee the original plan was ride out the Gold Cup break, use that as a chance to turn things around, but there's no riding out a franchise worst loss which was immediately preceded by a loss to Cincinnati.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonna end up taking a long break if the best this interim coaching search ends with Caldwell or something.
    And Olsen or Kreis.