Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MLS Match Day 10 - Cinci "@" TFC Saturday June 26 7:08pm - There is no guarantee

Have at It People

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonna be tough against a Cincinnati team that is above us in the standings...

Is a phrase I never thought I'd have to type.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They've had two morale-crushing losses in a row. We don't have enough data on how well Armas deals with adversity like this. I think they could make an inspired comeback, or completely implode and go into a death-spiral for the remaining games they are based in Florida. I can't help but think that their families are too happy being uprooted from Toronto, even if it makes the players happy. There's got to be a lot of domestic stress on the Canadian teams compared to their American counterparts.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    They've had two morale-crushing losses in a row. We don't have enough data on how well Armas deals with adversity like this. I think they could make an inspired comeback, or completely implode and go into a death-spiral for the remaining games they are based in Florida. I can't help but think that their families are too happy being uprooted from Toronto, even if it makes the players happy. There's got to be a lot of domestic stress on the Canadian teams compared to their American counterparts.
    I think it also varies between players. Some could bring their whole family to Orlando. Others have partners with jobs or other ties in Toronto. Plus some of the younger guys don't have their own family or kids yet, but they're also away from their extended family and friends in Toronto. And finally: Orlando in March is one thing, when the weather in Toronto is usually still crap. Many months later, Orlando in late June is different, with every day friggin hot and humid, every day high risk of thunderstorms, you know how that feels.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One step closer to equaling Winter's 2012 disasterous start coming up.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, team flew back to Orlando last night

Their recovery is going to be crud but so will Cinci who were in Chicago

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh wow, are they normally flying that late and getting in at 3am after a game? You're right I can't imagine it will be a great recovery.

Also do we think Poz and Oso are going to be good to go on Saturday? Subs?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    One step closer to equaling Winter's 2012 disasterous start coming up.
    This thread says "No guarantee," but I can pretty well guarantee TFC will not win. OK, not 100% but 95%+.

Will Curtis clean house? Montreal has a much better record and they have the same disadvantages in terms of playing in the US. This game could be the tipping point.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just want to see a tactical approach to attacking their weaknesses and breaking them down. We keep trying to impose rigidity on games where we need flexibility.

we can do that with our best players. Without them, we have to take the game to the other team by exploiting their weaknesses . “We,play our game” is beyond our roster depth right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I just want to see a tactical approach to attacking their weaknesses and breaking them down. We keep trying to impose rigidity on games where we need flexibility.

we can do that with our best players. Without them, we have to take the game to the other team by exploiting their weaknesses . “We,play our game” is beyond our roster depth right now.
    Very good point. At a minimum I think we need to tidy the defensive shape up. Throwing too many guys forward or pressing with Bradley / Delgado should be off the table for now.

Be shrewd, adjust for the other team. Plug some of the leaks in this boat.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Montreal has a much better record and they have the same disadvantages in terms of playing in the US. This game could be the tipping point.
    And a much shittier, cheaper roster even with our DPs out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I just want to see a tactical approach to attacking their weaknesses and breaking them down. We keep trying to impose rigidity on games where we need flexibility
    Oldtimer can't 100% say that we will not win but I can 100% say that we will show no new tactical approach, no flexibility, and no appearance of anything resembling a customized gameplan to address our opponent's strengths or weaknesses. We will do the exact same thing over and over and over and over until Armas is fired. This is our groundhog day.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 613reppingTFC View Post
    oh wow, are they normally flying that late and getting in at 3am after a game? You're right I can't imagine it will be a great recovery.

Also do we think Poz and Oso are going to be good to go on Saturday? Subs?
    I believe due to COVID protocols MLS is generally trying to avoid overnight stays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see some people, including Chris Mavinga, using the relocation excuse. But this team relocated last year and still finished second in the race for the Shield. The only big difference is the guy running the squad. I will give the players some slack, just the results are unacceptable and someone is soon going to have to pay the price if we lose to Cinci.
    Last edited by MikeForbes; 06-24-2021 at 06:20 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I see some people, including Chris Mavinga, using the relocation excuse..
    Its his life

I tend to believe a guy actually living it

We all know of or have seen people who snapped in the last 4 months in one way shape or form after getting through last year - it happens. To expect a group of people to keep going like they did last year is just not realistic. As I have said, I have issues with Armas. But doubting in ANY WAY what Mavinga said. that to me is being unfair.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly, of course the situation will wear on people more over time, and especially in the second year. Plus last year they were competing against teams that were all facing disruptions, including the higher impact of the virus on a number of the US teams. This year most of the other teams are living quite normal lives.

Doesn’t mean Armas or Curtis or Manning is good at his job. Just something to consider.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hold up though. Are there not a lot of ex-pats, snowbirds in Florida? Surely with a full year of planning you could somehow arrange for at least a few hundred home supporters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I was probably being a bit harsh with my comment. My bad, guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MTL seem ok,new coach,half the budget tfc are and they are in every game and dont seem to allow the gaffs like tfc do every game,the no excuse armas has become the every excuse armas,he sort of blamed the loud crowd for the collapse the other night

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Its his life

I tend to believe a guy actually living it

We all know of or have seen people who snapped in the last 4 months in one way shape or form after getting through last year - it happens. To expect a group of people to keep going like they did last year is just not realistic. As I have said, I have issues with Armas. But doubting in ANY WAY what Mavinga said. that to me is being unfair.
    I agree that it must be tough to manage but if I was a manager or GM and in control of a group of players dealing with something like this the last thing I would do is throw a whole new system on them to figure out on top of dealing with temporarily living in another country. Vanney left and that is what it is but Curtis & Manning said they wanted continuity with the roster so why do things that make all this harder?

I assume they did this because the team is out of sight and out of mind and therefore have less media eyes on them, that coupled with their secrecy means we know much less that normal. Curtis knew he wanted to change to the RB style and it would be ugly so better to do it in in Florida in front of zero fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume they did this because the team is out of sight and out of mind
    More likely it was just stupid. Generally, when you have a choice between devious and stupid, assume stupid.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Yeah, I was probably being a bit harsh with my comment. My bad, guys.

This season suks man....we all are harsh at some point.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Molinaro saying Poz & Oso not listed as questionable for Saturday

Some wag asked why Armas wasn't....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if they are not listed as questionable does that mean we think Armas will make the same mistake? He plays both Oso and Poz until either they have more tightness or an injury. He realizes they need to come out early in the second half due to playing so much over the last few weeks and both coming off injury. I don't want to see either of them re-injured here, but we know what kind of a team we looked like without them on the field. Someone suggested putting Oso on in the second half and taking Poz off, that might be an option. I'm quite nervous about tomorrow and can see this game going either way, even though we should be the clear winners.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 613reppingTFC View Post
    I'm quite nervous about tomorrow and can see this game going either way, even though we should be the clear winners.
    Look at the brightside: the Union are visiting the Fire so we'll most likely not be in the wooden spoon spot tomorrow evening. We'll just be runners up.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look at the brightside: the Union are visiting the Fire so we'll most likely not be in the wooden spoon spot tomorrow evening. We'll just be runners up.
    yeah I suppose so..but still.

On a side note, (since you mentioned those teams) I've been checking out the Pro Line for this weekend and (I haven't played a lot of it before so maybe someone can help me understand) but why would there be such a close odds between union(2.5) and Fire (2.6) when they are dead last and union is in 3rd place. But then for Toronto it's cinci (5.0) vs Tor (1.5). Is it a home vs away thing? standings don't count or maybe they pull last season record to help out with this decision?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Poz is in doubt for tomorrow.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with a comment like that, Armas will be roasted (not that he isn't already) if he plays Poz and then he gets further injured.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where is jozy,,,6wks and counting.maybe 2 more weeks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    where is jozy,,,6wks and counting.maybe 2 more weeks
    Doubt we see Jozy again as a TFC player. A little info on the subject would be great though, wouldn't it?