Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Soteldo had the most dangerous corner kicks we have had since Vasquez.

Seba wasn't all that good at them, to be honest.
    TFC actually scored 3 goals off corner kicks in the epic 5-2 playoff win over Montreal, 2 of them taken by Seba. I can think of at least 3 Seba - Jozy corner kick goals over the years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Seba - Jozy second goal in that game was epic, with Vanney screaming "dont change the play" and Jozy's Dunfield - esqe run up the touchline after scoring. Legend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Endoh is quite accomplished at dead ball situations, including corners.

Separately, he is tailor made for Armas' system, more so that DeLeon or an out of position Delgado. Can run all day long. But is little used.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post

Separately, he is tailor made for Armas' system, more so that DeLeon or an out of position Delgado. Can run all day long. But is little used.
    Have we ever scored off an Endoh corner kick (or free kick)? As Endoh has only had 3 assists since coming to TFC, I don't think that's the case.

Of course he hasn't had as many chances for assists off free kicks & corner kicks as Bradley, but still I haven't been impressed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Endoh is like a crappier version of Park Ji Sung.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking about corner kicks, something I see too many times in TFC matches, and it's total nonsense to me, is that another TFC player is stationed just 2-4 meters from the corner taking guy. Nobody from the opposing team is stationed even close! The corner taking guy then just fires in the corner kick.

Why this second TFC player isn't closer to the adverse goal line, in a let's say 22-25 m range? Or at least 10 meters far from the corner, 2-3 m inside the field?
    As it is played out, it's a totally wasted player for this sequence of play.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 06-17-2021 at 09:06 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I have noticed and mentioned that before. I don't understand why Bradley is standing right next to Soteldo, Practically holding his hand while he's taking the corner kick. We don't often play it short, so why not have Bradley stationed somewhere closer in on net or around the 18.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 613reppingTFC View Post
    Yeah I have noticed and mentioned that before. I don't understand why Bradley is standing right next to Soteldo, Practically holding his hand while he's taking the corner kick. We don't often play it short, so why not have Bradley stationed somewhere closer in on net or around the 18.
    Nearly all MLS teams play man coverage on corners. If you draw a guy who isn't great in the air (Bradley) out of the box, you draw one defensive body out of the zone they're trying to overload with offensive players to score.

That's the only reason, I think. If you have big bodies like Omar and Mavinga crashing the box, it's hard when it's congested to get space to attack the ball without fouling a defender. So you ease that by drawing Bradley's defender to the edge of the area, having one less attacker but not someone who's likely to win a header.

Also, if the guy next to the corner taker has a dominant opposite foot and the box looks better set for an attack at the back post, you might want one swung in versus out.

Probably a mix of both, more the former than the latter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We scored a great goal off just such a play in the epic Montréal match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We scored a great goal off just such a play in the epic Montréal match.
    Predictions for Orlando? I'm probably too cynical right now, but they've got Daryl Dike back this week, I think. I watched most of his Barnsley performances and that dude is a handful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Predictions for Orlando? I'm probably too cynical right now, but they've got Daryl Dike back this week, I think. I watched most of his Barnsley performances and that dude is a handful.
    At this point we'll be lucky to draw, probably.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we are going to win yhis 2-0 and look really good. Then lose the next two games and be bottom of the league.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The injury report - nothing unusual

But then again, they've not mentionned an injury before so who knows....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orlando have unknowns as backup GKs. They have a player on loan from Spurs but, outside of a few games on loan in Denmark, he has never played first division football anywhere. El Pulpo is at Copa America. So there is that.

Pato is supposed to be back for this came, or at least available. He was hurt in the opener.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My recollection of the last time we played Orlando was they rope-a-doped us pretty hard. Which is to say they invited us to press deep and looked for someone with just enough time on the ball to spring a runner in behind or in the gap between the CB’s and the midfielders.

That put a lot of pressure on our defenders to cover space fast and created 1v1 matchups with Gonzalez which they frequently won.

They were better organized, played more cohesively as a team, and were missing just as many DP’s as we were.

If Chris Armas can adapt, maybe we keep this one close. But my suspicion is we’ve learned nothing and having Poz healthy will be the false sense of security in Armas’s head why this time is different.

I’m not so optimistic. 2-0 Orlando

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    My recollection of the last time we played Orlando was they rope-a-doped us pretty hard. Which is to say they invited us to press deep and looked for someone with just enough time on the ball to spring a runner in behind or in the gap between the CB’s and the midfielders.

That put a lot of pressure on our defenders to cover space fast and created 1v1 matchups with Gonzalez which they frequently won.

They were better organized, played more cohesively as a team, and were missing just as many DP’s as we were.

If Chris Armas can adapt, maybe we keep this one close. But my suspicion is we’ve learned nothing and having Poz healthy will be the false sense of security in Armas’s head why this time is different.

I’m not so optimistic. 2-0 Orlando
    This comment applies to every game we have played this year, with the exception of the first
    Columbus game and the possible exception of our first two CCL games.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The injury report - nothing unusual

But then again, they've not mentionned an injury before so who knows....
    Wasn't Soteldo supposed to be playing with Venezuela if not for having a positive COVID test? If so weird to see him on the list with the thigh injury still. If anything I would think he would still be doing his 14 day quarantine from the COVID thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just read “TFC Focus on what lies ahead” article on the website. My two takeaways: they are trying to roll back the high press (Bradley and Armas talk about “evolution” “a little bit more aggressive” etc); and it’s full of excuses - injuries, playing away from home, etc etc. Glad about the first but the second is very worrying. It reads as if Armas actually believes our losses were due to the absence of Poz as opposites to being a disorganized shit show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This comment applies to every game we have played this year, with the exception of the first
    Columbus game and the possible exception of our first two CCL games.
    Yeah... but I thought the game in Orlando it was especially glaring. That 1-0 score was beyond flattering to TFC considering how we played.

I should be clear this is partially about how Orlando looks as a group and not just how poor TFC has been. They look like a top 3 Eastern Conference team at the moment, based on form.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Wasn't Soteldo supposed to be playing with Venezuela if not for having a positive COVID test? If so weird to see him on the list with the thigh injury still. If anything I would think he would still be doing his 14 day quarantine from the COVID thing.
    Wait this positive COVID test is news for me. I thought he had COVID when he was in South America before he signed with TFC and had travelled back to visit his family during the international break before returning.

Molinaro had tweeted out that Soteldo may play for Venezuela later in Copa but presumably is still out due to injury.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just read “TFC Focus on what lies ahead” article on the website. My two takeaways: they are trying to roll back the high press (Bradley and Armas talk about “evolution” “a little bit more aggressive” etc); and it’s full of excuses - injuries, playing away from home, etc etc. Glad about the first but the second is very worrying. It reads as if Armas actually believes our losses were due to the absence of Poz as opposites to being a disorganized shit show.
    Armas gives a ton of excuses for a guy who spent the first two months of his tenure talking about making no excuses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Armas gives a ton of excuses for a guy who spent the first two months of his tenure talking about making no excuses.

It really jumps out from that article. Worrying.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Jozy situation is such a joke. He either doesn't want to play or Ali/Armas don't want him to play. I think it has to be the latter or Jozy would have be fined and he would be in breech of his contract. If it is the latter, how do you not fire Ali for mis-management.

As an aside, 3 Weeks are Up, but I guess he really should have said two weeks because we know that means nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    The Jozy situation is such a joke. He either doesn't want to play or Ali/Armas don't want him to play. I think it has to be the latter or Jozy would have be fined and he would be in breech of his contract. If it is the latter, how do you not fire Ali for mis-management.

As an aside, 3 Weeks are Up, but I guess he really should have said two weeks because we know that means nothing.
    Appreciate the sentiment and am no fan of the management team, but if you’re trying to offload Altidore you don’t draw negative attention to his recent actions any more than you have to.

If we suspend him and he starts squawking, it potentially ends up with the players union and drives away potential suitors (not that he’ll have many to begin with).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Appreciate the sentiment and am no fan of the management team, but if you’re trying to offload Altidore you don’t draw negative attention to his recent actions any more than you have to.

If we suspend him and he starts squawking, it potentially ends up with the players union and drives away potential suitors (not that he’ll have many to begin with).
    The only way to solve that is to play him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Wait this positive COVID test is news for me. I thought he had COVID when he was in South America before he signed with TFC and had travelled back to visit his family during the international break before returning.

Molinaro had tweeted out that Soteldo may play for Venezuela later in Copa but presumably is still out due to injury.
    I think you've got it right

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was a COVID outbreak in the Venezuelan team, but no indication that Soteldo was infected this time. Maybe he was seen as a close contact & had to quarantine due to that, but nothing was reported like that. If anyone has more info let us know.

As Soteldo previously had COVID, and is likely fully immunized now, you gotta hope the risk for him was extremely low.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    There was a COVID outbreak in the Venezuelan team, but no indication that Soteldo was infected this time. Maybe he was seen as a close contact & had to quarantine due to that, but nothing was reported like that. If anyone has more info let us know.

As Soteldo previously had COVID, and is likely fully immunized now, you gotta hope the risk for him was extremely low.
    I watched the Venezuela/Brazil Copa game. They said he was one of the players showing positive and that was the reason he was not playing. Pretty bad if they specifically named him as COVID positive on the broadcast and he doesn't have it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched the Venezuela/Brazil Copa game. They said he was one of the players showing positive and that was the reason he was not playing. Pretty bad if they specifically named him as COVID positive on the broadcast and he doesn't have it.
    Oh wow, thanks for the info, I had no idea! Perhaps he only had one dose of the vaccine before he left; the 2nd wasn't confirmed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, TFC said he's in Florida