Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Yeah, well....

I hate to tell you dude, but the Canadian print media has been utterly gutted in the last two decades. When I started at the Sun in Edmonton, we had eighteen reporters covering city news. When I left, they had four.

Broadcast had always been shit, rarely broke anything and mostly has been able to function by ripping-and-reading newspapers for years.

Toronto papers and outlets didn't fare any better. There's little profit incentive in media and most of the companies that put those debt-laden, slow-to-change companies into receivership have share value because of their capitalization, not their profit margins.

So basically the only healthy daily coverage left is CBC, which is funded (albeit at a rate below the public services of 20 other commonwealth nations).

Keep in mind that when I joined a city paper in '97, they were already egregiously poor at almost everything compared to twenty years before that, due to a lack of competition allowing owners to save costs via poorly trained staff, then using those savings to address heavy corporate debt.

Lineage ad rates were one-tenth of the U.S., and the quality was already suffering when Asper bought Canwest and began the trend of heavy bias and cuts to counter acquisition debt.

TFC's coverage was kind of shit even when there were multiple outlets doing the job. We've never had a Steve Goff here, a local guy who routinely breaks big stuff. It's all "I got the announcement first" crap, low hanging daily spot news fruit.
    I feel like all KJ has always been the most in the loop of anyone. He always speaks as if he understands a little more than he lets on and every now and then he'll drop a tidbit of info to prove it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    You have to remember Carlisle dropped the Jozy transfer interest story in January as well. Jozy disputed the report, so he likely didn't leak it.

Given he dropped this report as well, I'd hazard a guess that these leaks are either Manning/Curtis or both.
    Carlisle lives in LA and used to freelance for Sports Illustrated. My guess is he's buddies with Jeff Bradley.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, well....

I hate to tell you dude, but the Canadian print media has been utterly gutted in the last two decades. When I started at the Sun in Edmonton, we had eighteen reporters covering city news. When I left, they had four.

Broadcast had always been shit, rarely broke anything and mostly has been able to function by ripping-and-reading newspapers for years.

Toronto papers and outlets didn't fare any better. There's little profit incentive in media and most of the companies that put those debt-laden, slow-to-change companies into receivership have share value because of their capitalization, not their profit margins.

So basically the only healthy daily coverage left is CBC, which is funded (albeit at a rate below the public services of 20 other commonwealth nations).

Keep in mind that when I joined a city paper in '97, they were already egregiously poor at almost everything compared to twenty years before that, due to a lack of competition allowing owners to save costs via poorly trained staff, then using those savings to address heavy corporate debt.

Lineage ad rates were one-tenth of the U.S., and the quality was already suffering when Asper bought Canwest and began the trend of heavy bias and cuts to counter acquisition debt.

TFC's coverage was kind of shit even when there were multiple outlets doing the job. We've never had a Steve Goff here, a local guy who routinely breaks big stuff. It's all "I got the announcement first" crap, low hanging daily spot news fruit.
    If anyone at MLSE is reading this: if you all think that having a story of this magnitude go on for weeks without a word of it anywhere is good for you, you deserve the empty seats and low television ratings that you will receive for this.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    If anyone at MLSE is reading this: if you all think that having a story of this magnitude go on for weeks without a word of it anywhere is good for you, you deserve the empty seats and low television ratings that you will receive for this.
    Yeah, lessons never learned and all that. Corporate communication have backslid badly in the era of rarely having to answer hard questions or prepare for the worst.

They should be way ahead of this. Instead, Ali's sending out text's saying "dont' ask', which even in these blighted media times ain't going to fly.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KJ with a "we knew something was wrong back then" tweet. I also remember TSN openly indicating Cruz Azul was looking at Jozy and they were the team that almost grabbed him in January.

Frankly, Jozy leaving, in and of itself, doesn't move the needle either way for this team revenue wise. TFC is so out of people's radar in this town.

His replacement as a DP might but not at the Poz or Soteldo level. The only thing that gets interest back is a big name. Otherwise, they have to be fun and competitive again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carlisle lives in LA and used to freelance for Sports Illustrated. My guess is he's buddies with Jeff Bradley.
    But who's giving Jeff Bradley the green light for leaks of this magnitude?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    You have to remember Carlisle dropped the Jozy transfer interest story in January as well. Jozy disputed the report, so he likely didn't leak it.

Given he dropped this report as well, I'd hazard a guess that these leaks are either Manning/Curtis or both.
    I would agree... Two things jump out at me... "The sources added that Altidore was upset at being replaced by Ayo Akinola in the 70th minute of Saturday's 1-0 defeat to Orlando City, and confronted Armas over his decision to take him off with the Reds in need of a goal. The sources added that Altidore hasn't been fined." and "The development is the latest sign that Altidore wants out of Toronto". A guy wanting to stay in to win doesn't sound like a guy who wants out. AND Ali is quoted in the article.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Akinola has to be better if Jozy is done. You all know I love Mullinho, but he has been our best striker this year. That isn't good that he is out playing a DP and our breakout star from last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Akinola has to be better if Jozy is done. You all know I love Mullinho, but he has been our best striker this year. That isn't good that he is out playing a DP and our breakout star from last year.
    As shocking this may seem, but it's true!
    Mullinho had clearly more influence on the games played (per minute) than Jozy or Ayo.
    Now the sad thing is that IMO any MLS team which has a best forward like Mullinho, has no business being elsewhere other than the bottom 6 MLS teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

KJ with a "we knew something was wrong back then" tweet. I also remember TSN openly indicating Cruz Azul was looking at Jozy and they were the team that almost grabbed him in January.

Frankly, Jozy leaving, in and of itself, doesn't move the needle either way for this team revenue wise. TFC is so out of people's radar in this town.

His replacement as a DP might but not at the Poz or Soteldo level. The only thing that gets interest back is a big name. Otherwise, they have to be fun and competitive again.
    My bet is somebody knows somebody else and Cruz Azul did TFC brass a favour leaking a rumour they had no intention of acting on. Nobody is going to come for Altidore on his $3.5 million dollar salary at his current rate of performance.

More likely, the Cruz Azul “leak” was the advertisement that essentially said “player for sale”. And now? No takers, at least not at a level that doesn’t see TFC eat the cost. Hence the spilt milk and frustration.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 05-28-2021 at 07:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Completely agree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"The sources added that Altidore was upset at being replaced by Ayo Akinola in the 70th minute "

I find it hard to believe that this is the reason Jozy was upset. Jozy has been all about mentoring and supporting Ayo. I can't see him doing something that would blatantly set him back. I think that statement is more about the media making a guess at what's going on. I could see it being more likely that Jozy was upset with the tactics, like we're down a goal maybe we need two strikers or being upset that players are being played out of position and calling out Armas on it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My speculation: the problem started in MLS Cup 2019, Jozy has never gotten over being a sub in that game. But the bigger picture is, Altidore is upset for exactly the same reason Seba was upset. He is being asked to play out his final year, and thinks this is a sign of disrespect. Suspect this also has some symmetry with the Dero situation way back when, ie Jozy feels he has been told things verbally at some point that aren’t happening. So I think he is saying, if that is how you feel, move me, to a place I want to be.

Which is all complicated by the fact that TFC would have to eat dollars to move Jozy.

Not surprisingly, it may not get sorted until the summer window.

If I am wrong, and this is as reported, which I don't buy, ie a problem between Armas and Jozy, then Armas could really be gone soon. But that seems less likely to me.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-28-2021 at 08:31 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My speculation: the problem started in MLS Cup 2019, Jozy has never gotten over being a sub in that game. But the bigger picture is, Altidore is upset for exactly the same reason Seba was upset. He is being asked to play out his final year, and thinks this is a sign of disrespect. Suspect this also has some symmetry with the Dero situation way back when, ie Jozy feels he has been told things verbally at some point that aren’t happening. So I think he is saying, if that is how you feel, move me, to a place I want to be.

Which is all complicated by the fact that TFC would have to eat dollars to move Jozy.

If I am wrong, and this is as reported, which I don't buy, ie a problem between Armas and Jozy, then Armas could really be gone soon. But that seems less likely to me.
    I can see it being all those things at the same time. There's clearly been a rift between Jozy and the club for a while. I suspect Armas is also sending a message to the other players who is in charge here, so that's probably at play too.

If, as everyone is saying, TFC is open to offers for Jozy, the one thing that doesn't make sense to me is why leak that he's a troublesome player? Not sure that's helpful if you want to move him on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In fairness, Dero was playing well above the value of his contract and in Gio’s case, what he wanted didn’t seem terribly off market. For Altidore, it’s either buyout or extension at really low dollars (which in itself is dubious).

My guess is they both want a buyout but the sticking point is dollars. On the one side you’ve got Altidore who still wants to get paid. On the other, you’ve got Curtis who is trying not to look like an idiot for signing that contract in the first place.

So the situation continues to drag on and eventually frustrations have boiled over. Altidore probably is hearing from his agent there is interest but that can only happen if TFC essentially foots the bill.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW

Jozy's final year is 2022 - his contract was heavily front loaded, possibly to the point where he becomes easily tradeable next season within the league. That's why my spec is this is about playing time & being seen to be effective prior to the July trade window. Its in Jozy's best interest to get a trade in July based on being effective now rather then next based on his history.

I would note that Molinaro's source affirms he's not training with the team but doesn't say why.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy's final year is 2022 - his contract was heavily front loaded, possibly to the point where he becomes easily tradeable next season within the league. That's why my spec is this is about playing time & being seen to be effective prior to the July trade window. Its in Jozy's best interest to get a trade in July based on being effective now rather then next based on his history.
    This is how I see it as well and he was playing better of late for probably this exact reason. Hopefully it all ends soon and we can move on after his inevitable Twitter rant on how Armas & Curtis tried to sabotage him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regardless of who is at fault, it's sad to see the current state of affairs with Jozy. He's a TFC legend and I really hope things work out for him here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't know what this team is going to do at striker. If you looks at the stats between Jozy, Mullinho and Ayo so far this campaign they are horrendous.
    It seems like the system (if there is one) that Armas has put in place, really puts the striker on an island by himself with no support.
    The hope with Jozy up front would be if he can form a relationship with Soteldo and the Shaff to make something happen from crosses or slick through balls in to the box.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soteldo out now....funny because he's in the social media pics a lot this week

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soteldo out now....funny because he's in the social media pics a lot this week

Sigh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This team is a mess. I wish the All for One documentaries weren't propaganda pieces and could actually give us some insight to what's happening here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Armas needs to go for real. Everyone getting injured at PRACTICE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The injury isn't even the worst thing here - how are we so bad at communication that the first confirmation of this is from Venezuela? It's like the team have forgotten that supporters even exist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is it ALWAYS thigh injuries this season

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    The injury isn't even the worst thing here - how are we so bad at communication that the first confirmation of this is from Venezuela? It's like the team have forgotten that supporters even exist
    It would probably fall under the 'competitive strategy' line that Curtis dropped today when denying to comment on Jozy's availability tomorrow. I understood this type of thing when playing in the CCL as it was a real tourney but going all stealth for a May Saturday afternooner in Columbus?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what's worrying is that soteldo has basically not gotten injured up until now, missing under a month total in his entire career (according to transfermarkt).

https://www.transfermarkt.us/yeferso...spieler/312294

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    It would probably fall under the 'competitive strategy' line that Curtis dropped today when denying to comment on Jozy's availability tomorrow. I understood this type of thing when playing in the CCL as it was a real tourney but going all stealth for a May Saturday afternooner in Columbus?

To me this is the bunker mentality that is bred by not having journos face to face - we saw it a bit with other teams last year but we have it even worse being in a different country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Such an absurd, bullshit answer. More likely he didn't know yet and wanted to sound strategic in the moment.

Either we have the world's worst physio and training regimen, to be getting all these muscle problems, or some players are trying to make life very hard for a coach they'd like to jettison, double time. Probably not the latter; most pros I've talked to like winning too much to tank anything on purpose.

But it's odd that a guy who has basically never been injured long-term comes to us at 23 and is immediately out, at the same time as our other skilled playmakers.

Does Armas speak Spanish?
    Last edited by jloome; 05-28-2021 at 03:30 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might just keep reposting this for the next few weeks