Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Bradley has never said a word about his own playing time. He is the consumate team player and is having a resurgence this season that is more than welcome. You comments are beyond unfair. How about we focus on the problem. MANAGEMENT. Not our legends.
    He's worked really hard this year and played well. He wasn't great tonight and he should probably have come off late instead of Delgado, but there's not much percentage in knocking Bradley. He's not the problem.

Those quotes above are truly telling. Armas is Mariner redux, a good player but zero sense of the limitations, the risk management, the tactical consistency from playing one spot.

Just not ready to be a head coach, not even close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could only see a bit of the game, but the line up decisions and the inability / unwillingness to explain is shocking. The only conclusion I can draw is #Jozyisright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

These guys are starting to remind me of Paul Mariner. The more you hear them talk, the more you realize they have no clue.

Everything is done with an aura of “oh I’m so smart I don’t need to explain that to you, lonely peon”. And yet, when you press, it’s pretty clear the emperor has no clothes.

Whatever the reason for the change after 20 minutes, it was too embarrassing to mention to a journalist.

Edit: finally pasted the tweet properly.
    Don’t you get it? Pep started a game with no natural strikers therefore that is why auro continues to play as dm. Like seriously it makes sense.

Holly hell armas really is the new mariner. Dc fans panicked when he was linked to them. They have more sense then ali

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Invoking Pep on the same day Pep galaxy-brained his team to a CL final loss is a special level of awful timing.

Agreed with the Mariner comparisons. I never thought anyone would reach the levels of MoJo/Mariner but here we are

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did he just compare himself to Pep? Like you wouldn’t question Pep, why are you questioning me? Read the quote again, he really is…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These guys are starting to remind me of Paul Mariner. The more you hear them talk, the more you realize they have no clue.

Everything is done with an aura of “oh I’m so smart I don’t need to explain that to you, lonely peon”. And yet, when you press, it’s pretty clear the emperor has no clothes.

Whatever the reason for the change after 20 minutes, it was too embarrassing to mention to a journalist.

Armas is a moron and clueless. Football isn't that complicated, if takes you 30 min to explain that decision you got no business being in the game.

Stop overthinking and trying to reinvent the wheel.
    Last edited by Richard; 05-30-2021 at 12:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    When is enough enough??
    IMO just when Tannenbaum would kick Manning in the balls.

But for that TFC must have a horrible full season, missing the playoffs by a solid margin...
    I mean not even a serious contender for the last playoffs place. So the chances for this to happen are kinda slim.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 05-30-2021 at 03:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Those quotes above are truly telling. Armas is Mariner redux, a good player but zero sense of the limitations, the risk management, the tactical consistency from playing one spot.

Just not ready to be a head coach, not even close.
    Those quotes are shockingly telling about how much Armas is over his head at this level.
    Maybe he's not quite Mariner level bad, but honestly, I think his ceiling is to be a average head coach in the USL Championship or in the CPL, considering the actual level of those competitions. I accentuate "average", no way he would be even there one of the better coaches.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 05-30-2021 at 03:53 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those kits are terrible.

Congrats on the first trophy of the year, though.

I think we should celebrate the third in a row.

We won't be seeing another till Voyageurs Cup. And that's being hopeful.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After a day of reflection I'm more critical of Armas being goaded into defending his plan that way.

His tactics failed on the day so he lets someone get under his skin so much that he talks down to them and uses hyperbolic comparisons.

Look at us. We're more critical of his use of ridiculous comparisons than him avoiding the question.

Glad for the International break. The team could use some time apart.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 05-30-2021 at 06:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    After a day of reflection I'm more critical of Armas being goaded into defending his plan that way.

His tactics failed on the day so he lets someone get under his skin so much that he talks down to them and uses hyperbolic comparisons.

Look at us. We're more critical of his use of ridiculous comparisons than him avoiding the question.

Glad for the International break. The team could use some time apart.
    Goaded into defending his plan? I don’t know about that. If that was his interpretation of the situation, add it to the long list of reasons he’s not meant for management.

This isn’t the coach of Real Madrid facing down a blood thirsty El Marca. He was asked a logical question and basically responded he can’t answer it in less than 30 minutes then drew whimsical comparisons to one of the world’s best managers, all while his team has one win in six league games.

Leaving aside all the problems that are obvious on the field, he sunk his own credibility with a pretty dumb answer. How can he possibly be communicating with his own players effectively if that’s how he handles stuff like this? Who’s going to take personal accountability in the locker room when the coach hides from his own mistakes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO that response is fine. He does answer the question (trying to get two quality players of the same position in the starting line up) but rightfully alludes to there being a lot more to it which isn’t worth explaining to the media right after a game.

I get why everyone is heated but you gotta give some more leash here. Remember how frustratingly slow Vanney had the team playing last year? I’ll gladly give this coach and philosophy a little more time than have to watch that again. We do look like school kids chasing a ball sometimes and that’s leaving huge gaps on the flanks or centrally. Hopefully with stability in the roster guys will have better positional awareness and those issues will slowly fade out.

Also, on the injury front, most of these guys had lingering issues before Armas arrived so it’s unfair to blame him (Oso, Mavinga, Jozy, etc). We were just as bad last season. The sports science/medical team on the other hand might be a more appropriate target.

Everyone hates the excuses but they are relevant to our situation. Injuries, new key players getting bedded in, new system for most of the players, permanently away, and so on. A deep breath over this break and a bit more patience is what I’m focusing on.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stress View Post

Also, on the injury front, most of these guys had lingering issues before Armas arrived so it’s unfair to blame him (Oso, Mavinga, Jozy, etc). We were just as bad last season. The sports science/medical team on the other hand might be a more appropriate target.
    I get your position, why rush? Change takes time.

But who manages the the tactics, difference in lingering issues with what we are getting. Level 2 strains in practices, not even games. I had a feeling the transition was going to take time but now Soteldo is injured, Jozy banned, Osorio, OG, Ironman Poz's first game was yesterday. Should we continue, this is more than bad luck.

Wake up TFC, something on the practice field or conditioning has to be wrong. Whose job was it to put the sports science/medical team in place (do we even have one yet). "Ali"

THIS IS THE BIGGEST PAYROLL IN MLS and it is injured. Have some awareness on the coaching front (again how many muscle strains have we suffered, probably some we are not even aware of... lack of transparency )....

Most importantly they have three weeks, get healthy get focussed but if we lose the next two (One is Cinci - then it is not just Armas out, it is Ali and Armas out for not making the change right now).

As an aside, there is no transparency at all.... for example has anyone even heard how Achara is. Last I heard was on his own twitter feed was April 14 and it said Soon (very sad).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

at this point,other than armasout is 2 new cbs,the 2mil combo is jus not good enough,mavinga is always injured and omar is jus to slow in the tfc pep style,our shooting and our cb coverage is embarrassing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stress View Post
    which isn’t worth explaining to the media right after a game..
    Yeah, that right there demonstrates why he isn't ready for this job.

When Vanney left, the media treated him like a long-lost friend, because he respected them, and they respected him.

Armas does not respect them, or understand their role in communicating to the fans, to offer a lazy, patronizing answer like that.

The best football coaches of all time weren't all great football players. The vast majority of people with their FIFA and UEFA coaching badges aren't former pro players.

But I fucking guarantee you they all understood why that was a shitshow on the field yesterday, and judging by how long it took him to adjust, they recognized it about a time zone before Chris Armas did.

He is exhibiting the all-too-common belief among people who have excelled in one area that their success is equivalent to comprehension of circumstances and general superiority to others.

I would quote Paul Mariner's many exhortations, as they were equivalently stupid.... and he was a much, much better footballer than Chris Armas. That kind of patronizing shit didn't make any sense when he said it, either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe Armas actually said "The first time we had to use Auro, there was almost like - necessity is the mother of invention - we needed someone in that part of the field that could play so he got the nod instead of Ralph Priso"

or in other words

We were forced to use Auro to play Priso's position instead of a healthy Priso. There was no other option, Priso was healthy. Auro played CM position as a child so that's a better option than Priso who currently plays CM and plays it well. We switched him to his normal position because I made a decision that's too advanced for you all. It had nothing to do with being down 2 goals in 15 minutes. It's because I'm coach and I'm starter than you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Yeah, that right there demonstrates why he isn't ready for this job.

When Vanney left, the media treated him like a long-lost friend, because he respected them, and they respected him.

Armas does not respect them, or understand their role in communicating to the fans, to offer a lazy, patronizing answer like that.

The best football coaches of all time weren't all great football players. The vast majority of people with their FIFA and UEFA coaching badges aren't former pro players.

But I fucking guarantee you they all understood why that was a shitshow on the field yesterday, and judging by how long it took him to adjust, they recognized it about a time zone before Chris Armas did.

He is exhibiting the all-too-common belief among people who have excelled in one area that their success is equivalent to comprehension of circumstances and general superiority to others.

I would quote Paul Mariner's many exhortations, as they were equivalently stupid.... and he was a much, much better footballer than Chris Armas. That kind of patronizing shit didn't make any sense when he said it, either.
    Agreed.

You know, a simple “we were down 2 goals in 20 minutes, something needed to change. We got it wrong initially so made the adjustment” would have done it. And of course this would have been a bit of an admission of fault but at least he’s taking responsibility and showing awareness. Doubt anyone would of had the guts to ask a follow up question and really stick him after that.

It’s this aura of superiority and/or secrecy that gets him in trouble (same with Curtis). We’re all frustrated by what we see on the field and I’m sure he is too.

Talk about something real, not Pep Guardiola.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He said around the time of the NYC game that he played Auro instead of Priso at CM because he needed someone who could play 90 minutes there, which Priso apparently can't (and hasn't so far). Still baffling that we haven't seen him at all for 3 straight gamess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed.

You know, a simple “we were down 2 goals in 20 minutes, something needed to change. We got it wrong initially so made the adjustment” would have done it. And of course this would have been a bit of an admission of fault but at least he’s taking responsibility and showing awareness. Doubt anyone would of had the guts to ask a follow up question and really stick him after that.

It’s this aura of superiority and/or secrecy that gets him in trouble (same with Curtis). We’re all frustrated by what we see on the field and I’m sure he is too.

Talk about something real, not Pep Guardiola.
    Literally this. Just say you’ve been making a mistake and that you made the required adjustment. Armas feels holier than thou and I do not appreciate him talking down to Singh, who is one of the first journos to finally ask a critical question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    He said around the time of the NYC game that he played Auro instead of Priso at CM because he needed someone who could play 90 minutes there, which Priso apparently can't (and hasn't so far). Still baffling that we haven't seen him at all for 3 straight gamess
    Need someone to play 90 minutes.... What's the point of having 5 substitutes. Is he trying to do the Vanney make 1 sub a game?

Priso must have nutmegged Armas in a scrimmage and is being punished.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I would say the odds are VERY high that Bradley is player-manager once Armas is fired
    Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Except Bradley is kinda shite, doesn't even really organize the midfield, already had a bunch of really bad plays today (like bad passes when TFC had excellent opportunities in front of net), and has long had too much to say anyway, especially concerning his own playing time.

I mean, he's far from the worst player out there, but I just don't see him being able to turn around anything or have a serious positive influence. Maybe in the locker room, but not on the field.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Bradley can't do 90 anymore - taking off Delgado was the wrong chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Yeah…Bradley gassed
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Bradley looked gassed in the last 10-15 mins. He gave the ball away too many times. Was hoping that he would be subbed off just to expedite Armas' firing. But I think he knows better.
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Bradley has never said a word about his own playing time. He is the consumate team player and is having a resurgence this season that is more than welcome. You comments are beyond unfair. How about we focus on the problem. MANAGEMENT. Not our legends.
    In response to MightyDM:

Actually your comments are unfair, because they ignore the context and reality of my comment. I didn't say that Bradley had publicly spoken about his playing time. Why should he, he basically plays 90 minutes of every game regardless of whether he's in great shape or gassed, both under this & under previous coaches.

Based on significant evidence, it has long been speculated here and elsewhere that coaches don't have full say over Bradley, especially over his playing time. It's been less of an issue this season so far, as Bradley came back very fit. But look at the number of comments above noting that Bradley looked gassed towards the end of yesterday's game, that different subs might have been better -- but that never seems to be an option with Bradley. Last year, and a couple of times in earlier years, there were situations where Bradley was clearly not fit for a full 90, other options were available, but never taken. That's where I believe he may have too much say already.

It can be an issue with somewhat aging stars, especially the captain. If they start to ignore their own limitations, they are actually no longer the consummate team players. It's a very tough transition. Some really great captains are fine with getting subbed off and handing over the armband for the last 10-15 minutes, in situations when they realize it's better for the team. A couple of times towards the end of the game, Bradley pushed far forward on very promising attacks, but killed them with really bad final passes, and with one really sad shot towards goal. Armas actually said he wants Bradley attacking more, but I'm not sure if he's the right guy for it, especially past the 70th minute.

But that wasn't really the point of my post. For the majority of yesterday's game, Bradley played quite well, although I still think he doesn't organize the midfield enough, and jogs in certain situations when he needs to sprint. His head is rarely on a swivel, and sometimes he lets himself get pulled into certain areas when he is needed elsewhere -- and he doesn't direct other midfielders to cover those spots either.

No, my post was mostly about the idea of making Bradley a player-manager if Armas is fired; see portu's comment above that I was actually responding to. [EDIT this idea also came up in the Armas evaluation thread.] I don't think that would be a good idea. It is always extremely tricky to have a player in that dual role. Plus with Bradley I'm concerned he doesn't always see his own limitations, and isn't great at directing things in game / on the field (even if he may be a great locker-room influence). Plus others have hinted that Bradley can be quite acerbic and may not be universally liked, so perhaps can't play the "good buddy" player/coach role -- but that's really speculating.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 05-30-2021 at 02:29 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Did he just compare himself to Pep? Like you wouldn’t question Pep, why are you questioning me? Read the quote again, he really is…
    Tactical genius never should be questioned.

What an idiotic comparison. If he's so great, he needs to prove it by his record.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t really understand comments about Bradley being gassed in general. I do think he has a poor performance here or there where perhaps it would be best to sub him. Similarly, sometimes we may be better off without him starting tactically. The problem with this is that it is impossible for Bradley to be a sub or get subbed. Whether that’s because we’ve always had a manager who rates him that highly or because Bradley refuses to rest or accept that sometimes he should take a seat is unknown. This is an aspect of the internal workings of the club we’ll likely never be privy to and for that reason makes speculation a useless exercise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to actually see him say those words, here is the link. Starts at 9:45.
    https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2021/0...as-may-29-2021

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goaded into defending his plan? I don’t know about that. If that was his interpretation of the situation, add it to the long list of reasons he’s not meant for management.

This isn’t the coach of Real Madrid facing down a blood thirsty El Marca. He was asked a logical question and basically responded he can’t answer it in less than 30 minutes then drew whimsical comparisons to one of the world’s best managers, all while his team has one win in six league games.

Leaving aside all the problems that are obvious on the field, he sunk his own credibility with a pretty dumb answer. How can he possibly be communicating with his own players effectively if that’s how he handles stuff like this? Who’s going to take personal accountability in the locker room when the coach hides from his own mistakes?
    Jloome addresses what I saw far batter than I. It's a poor showing for a coach to answer such a criticizing but honest question with redirection instead of generalization.

And i agree it gives us warning bells on other possible failings in his communication.

We know both Westberg and Jozy were not handled very diplomatically so far by their omissions from lineups or training sessions.

Really glad for the Canada match tonight

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last necro of the night I promise.

This manufactured rivalry is all time all tied up.

Finally