Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two first team players in the 18 for TFC II today vs. Richmond. Jayden starting and Erickson on the bench. EG cant event crack the starting lineup at the L1 level.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Two first team players in the 18 for TFC II today vs. Richmond. Jayden starting and Erickson on the bench. EG cant event crack the starting lineup at the L1 level.

They're probably limiting his time due to coming back from an injury, and because he's going to be released in a few months anyway. THere's not much point taking ANY playing time away from guys who might stick, I suppose.

It's not like they can even put him in the shop window, as anyone interested can sign him on a free in four months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he missed on a breakway from center field,tfc 2 win 2-1

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    he missed on a breakway from center field,tfc 2 win 2-1
    How he shot wide on that I do not know, a head scratcher.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the miss. I've tried my best to be a Gallardo supporter, but I can't after that. Plus he came on as a sub in the 74th minute. Had he come on at half, I could try to justify it as a minutes restriction, but not at the 74th considering his first appearance with TFCII was a full one-half appearance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Here's the miss. I've tried my best to be a Gallardo supporter, but I can't after that. Plus he came on as a sub in the 74th minute. Had he come on at half, I could try to justify it as a minutes restriction, but not at the 74th considering his first appearance with TFCII was a full one-half appearance.

Jesus Christ.

It's the most basic premise: on a breakaway, you drift towards the spot if unchallenged, as it prevents the goalie from cutting off the angle and makes a low shot to the opposite corner basically impossible to reach.

You NEVER drift to the near post and try to tuck it by him. Not only is it a harder shot to hit accurately, it also gives the goalie the smallest angle to close off and a chance to save it with his feet.

Fuck me. This guy was TAM? This fucking guy?!?

Again, averaged three goals, three assists a season in Venezuela, in a league with even more talent divides than MLS.

Why he thought that production would increase here, with more competition and no obvious signs except wheels that he has something to offer, is a head scratcher.
    Last edited by jloome; 08-07-2021 at 12:02 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Result and details of USL League One game between Toronto FC II and North Carolina FC played at BMO Training Ground in Downsview. First game I've been able to attend there in 2 years! http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoront...1/21tfc257.htm

[COLOR=rgb( var(--theme-text_light) )]

[/COLOR]

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Robin View Post
    Result and details of USL League One game between Toronto FC II and North Carolina FC played at BMO Training Ground in Downsview. First game I've been able to attend there in 2 years! http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoront...1/21tfc257.htm

[/COLOR]
    Was this game actually open to the public , would like to attend one as TFC season ticket holder.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Was this game actually open to the public , would like to attend one as TFC season ticket holder.
    I'm still not sure of that. I received no reply to a question I sent to their twitter posting. I went through the gate before they had actually set up as I guy waved me through when I had some problems scanning a QR code they had on a poster. It was supposed to measure for Covid exposure. I had my vax papers in my pocket. No one did ever check them.

I have an idea that you'd do better as a SSH. Just wear a mask until you get inside and bring your vax papers or have them on your phone.
    Or call your ticket rep and ask.
    I was ready to be refused again then continue on to a League1 Ontario game in Oshawa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC II within a point of the playoffs now.

After watching their last few games and a few earlier this year, I definitely have to wonder why some of these guys haven't been given more time to impress with the first team. Kobe Franklin, Dante Campbell and Luca Petrasso have all looked pretty good to me, better than the average USL player.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Result and details of the Friday October 8/21 USL League One game between Toronto FC II and New England Revolution II played at BMO Training Ground in Downsview.

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoront...1/21tfc260.htm

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was up at the training grounds for the game today, the first one officially open to the public, TFC II lost 2-1 CF St. Lauderdale, doing damage to their chances at a playoff spot. It was quite a physical game at times, with the ref getting involved at times. Long time TFCII forward and Toronto had the brace for Ft. Lauderdale. It was also interesting to see both Romeo Beckham and Harvey Neville start for the visitors.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Result and details of the Friday October 22, 2021 USL game between Toronto FC II and Ft Lauderdale CF played at BMO Training Centre.

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoront...1/21tfc265.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awkward when the prospect you cast off (still only 22) scores a brace and you lose 2-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Awkward when the prospect you cast off (still only 22) scores a brace and you lose 2-1
    I’ve watched a bunch of their games
    due to Baby Becks interest (he has some skill but little read or athleticism, this was his best game). Hundal still looks a good prospect so no idea why we dropped him.

Mitchell Curry on that same Ft Lauderdale team could play in MLS now. He has eight goals playing wide (to Shaans 11 playing centrally) and plays and works at a different speed to the rest of USL. Former Sunderland and Middlesborough youth player who is way above that level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I’ve watched a bunch of their games
    due to Baby Becks interest (he has some skill but little read or athleticism, this was his best game). Hundal still looks a good prospect so no idea why we dropped him.

Mitchell Curry on that same Ft Lauderdale team could play in MLS now. He has eight goals playing wide (to Shaans 11 playing centrally) and plays and works at a different speed to the rest of USL. Former Sunderland and Middlesborough youth player who is way above that level.
    I agree with you and feel like MLS is too proud (and anti competitive) to mine the USL for the talent it actually has.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I agree with you and feel like MLS is too proud (and anti competitive) to mine the USL for the talent it actually has.
    There seem to be guys on both affiliates and unaffiliated teams who are brought into USL -1 as 'experience' for the younger players. But you do see two or three on every team who look no better or worse in terms of technique, movement, decisions to second-stringers and dev players in MLS.

Curry is interesting because he's being played out of position. They have him as a winger due to his speed and dribbling but his movement is very much that of a striker. He's wasted out wide, which is exemplified by the fact that he underlaps and cuts in the vast majority of the time. He's not a crosser or setup guy (although he's set up a bunch of Hundal's goals) but he has a cannon shot, good release, aim, cuts onto both feet really well, turns both ways really well. First touch is really solid.

I see a guy like Robbie Robertson at the parent club, Miami, and I can't see Curry being substantially less of a player. Might be more the mental side, perhaps, or he's just been overlooked up until now.

If you look at his playing record, he had appearances in 15 games in the Scottish Second Division (Championship) as an eighteen-year-old and scored two goals, then 12 games in the National League North where he scored two, and one League One appearance for Sunderland. (This story, his coach praises him and says he got that start after bagging a brace for Sunderland u-23 https://insidefutbol.com/2020/12/16/...talent/485912/)

So he didn't score prolifically as a teenage pro, but most at that age don't, and I imagine few of those were starts.

Middlesbrough signed him to pro terms at 16 and perhaps that hurt his work rate or attitude. But he's only 22. I suspect from how wanted he was and how many moves, he's either a problem child or he was under players he just couldn't beat for a roster spot (or a bit of both). But people mature later sometimes, it's just neurological reality.
    Last edited by jloome; 10-23-2021 at 12:37 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I’ve watched a bunch of their games due to Baby Becks interest ...
    WTAF ... never heard about this - and now I feel old.

Wait, he bombed out of football a few years ago, and daddy bought him a football team to play in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    WTAF ... never heard about this - and now I feel old.

Wait, he bombed out of football a few years ago, and daddy bought him a football team to play in?
    Nah, he left Arsenal academy of his own accord after deciding he didn't want to be a footballer, then changed his mind.

He's off the pace in terms of positioning, athleticism and determination, but I've watched the four or five games since he joined up and he's gotten better in each. He serves a mean cross and lead pass but often doesn't know where to be. Also looks like he's 16, not 19, and needs to bulk up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFCII has a shot at the playoffs with one game left. Currently in 8th (top 6 make the playoffs)

They play New England Revolution in the final game. FC Tucson plays Richmond. So if TFC2 wins and Tucson ties or loses, TFC2 will make the playoffs (1st tiebreaker is wins, second tiebreaker is +/-, so if Tucson ties, TFC2 will win the tiebreaker)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I highly recommend that anyone who can, come checkout TFC II’s match vs NE Revs II next Friday at the training ground. It is a highly enjoyable experience. Love standing field side hearing all the banter from the pitch no matter how colourful it gets. This should be a good match with a playoff spot on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    TFCII has a shot at the playoffs with one game left. Currently in 8th (top 6 make the playoffs)

They play New England Revolution in the final game. FC Tucson plays Richmond. So if TFC2 wins and Tucson ties or loses, TFC2 will make the playoffs (1st tiebreaker is wins, second tiebreaker is +/-, so if Tucson ties, TFC2 will win the tiebreaker)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC2 won their match vs New England. Now just need some help from the other match to clinch playoffs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Result and details of the USL League One game of Friday October 29/21 between Toronto FC II and New England Revolution 2 played at TFC Training Centre in Downsview.

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoront...1/21tfc267.htm

[/COLOR]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FC Tucson won, so TFC2 just missed the playoffs. I don't like how the league did not make all the final games at the same time. Some teams would've had unknown fates (like Richmond, Tucson's opponents) if all the games were at the same time. Instead, some teams knew their fates by the time they played. No idea if it had an impact on lineup choices, but for a pro league all games should've been at same time (even if it is tier 3)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally my year end summary of Rocket Robin Soccer in Toronto with personal comments on the teams/leagues I followed in 2021. York United FC, the Canadian Men's national team (when in Toronto), Toronto FC II, and League1 Ontario.

Rocket Robin Soccer In Toronto 2021 Season Review
    Last edited by Rocket Robin; 12-18-2021 at 07:15 PM.