Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    A reminder that the salary difference, assuming a team spends to the cap, is dependent upon what we pay our DP's.

Orlando is better then us. I saw them as SS winners before the season started and see no reason to change my mind.

We are going to probably end up in 5th -7th. Given how much is going on with this team, I'll take that.

yes yes yes, but as a supporter i am expecting performance now, not 4 month from now

i want to enjoy some skill and some determination
    Last edited by alex andrew; 05-22-2021 at 08:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A reminder that the salary difference, assuming a team spends to the cap, is dependent upon what we pay our DP's.

Orlando is better then us. I saw them as SS winners before the season started and see no reason to change my mind.

We are going to probably end up in 5th -7th. Given how much is going on with this team, I'll take that.
    ORL is not better than us...other than on the sideline,they have are a manager we have a gym teacher

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they look bang average and we looked worse.

how are we playing a high line without proper pressure on the ball?

if that's the team expected to win the supporter's shield, then the league is there for the taking this year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alex andrew View Post
    yes yes yes, but as a supporter i am expecting now, not 4 month from now

i want to enjoy some skill and some determination

When Vanney left, something like this was inevitable, especially as we didn't make any changes to what has been our biggest weakness since Drew Moor got hurt in CCL in 2018.

Saw a LOT of determination there tonight - go back & compare it to the NYRB game where we gave up after them scoring a goal. Nobody gave up tonight.

But Gonzalez, who did really well in 2019, isn't the stud CB that we need anymore - I think there is a sunk costs thinking going on with him. The fact we can't seem to grow a decent CB from our academy is also hurting us big time.

I want to be #1. The day Vanney left, our chances of being so this season fell to almost nil.

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    they look bang average and we looked worse.

Its Seattle & Orlando. Somebody else might come out of the pack but defence wins supporters shield & those 2 teams have it.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 05-22-2021 at 08:58 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone wants to watch TFC2, they play at 10 pm game is on Youtube Live

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Vanney left, something like this was inevitable, especially as we didn't make any changes to what has been our biggest weakness since Drew Moor got hurt in CCL in 2018.

Saw a LOT of determination there tonight - go back & compare it to the NYRB game where we gave up after them scoring a goal. Nobody gave up tonight.

But Gonzalez, who did really well in 2019, isn't the stud CB that we need anymore - I think there is a sunk costs thinking going on with him. The fact we can't seem to grow a decent CB from our academy is also hurting us big time.

I want to be #1. The day Vanney left, our chances of being so this season fell to almost nil.
    determination without knowing how to distribute or stop the ball, run, dribble...is nothing

skate better, skate faster, fight harder...i know , i know...

on the other hand, vanney didn't do stellar today

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    ORL is not better than us...other than on the sideline,they have are a manager we have a gym teacher
    correct their are other things our club can spend money on besides players, for example, Coaches, Managers, Physio Therapists, Medical Teams, we need to look at using our money on this, i dont remember any other clubs missing so many players to start their seasons, whether that means getting more friendlies or leaving earlier to head south, as Canada has been dealing with the virus differently than the US; they are multiple poor choices selected by our front office, and they are coming back to bite us, i am more than certain our chances of going for the SS are all gone, but we should have a office especially due to our financial situation getting us the best off field team, whether that means, trading away excess players to loosen salary cap to spend in the next transfer window, or bringing in the proper players, maybe renegotiating contracts or finding other ways to improve flexibility, there are many things which i feel they are avoiding because they refuse to spend outside of the squad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they were the better team but a draw would not have been out of line for that game.

FWIW, we had more shots on target then them & did pretty good getting the ball into dangerous areas. I saw a lot of good interplay between the mids getting the ball forward. We also won the ball a lot. They didn't really have a period of sustained pressure apart from that 5 minutes or so after the goal & a bit around minute 80.

Our problem remains our defence - specifically the ability of people to get behind us, even in the short bursts that are situations like the one that led to their goal. Gonzalez is what we are stuck with this season & it is going to cause us problem every game. Mavinga can only do so much. Anybody but Tesho Akindele up front like that & we give up 3.

Assuming we can get Poz back, and I see no reason to doubt he will play a part in Columbus next week, I'm not worried about our offence.

I think we are a playoff team - I'm not worried about where we sit right now because I think we will get way better as the season goes forward - as did a lot of commentators when this season started, btw.

2 out of 6 was in the last 30 seconds

I'm thinking 5 out of 6 happened after the subs.

And shot on target for me right now is referring to players facing the net with their body and not hitting the net

De Leon,
    Shaffleburg

Or the fact when 2 out of 6 shots were from the goaline with not a single player crashing.

Ill also mention the confused look when laryea had no open players to throw the ball into and ended giving right to the other team

Unless this is tfc' s strategy, give the ball away in the middle third or final third of the field and then press ?

Intuiton not making me feel good

Worst part is after last week's non own goal, I had a feeling that Armas would put Bono back in as a way to support him, like in my mind I heard Armas said right then and there, well Bono definitely starting next week, all the goalie vs goalie talk, can't pull Bono now

Lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being a playoff team in this league really means close to nothing now. They need to start putting up results. We have the players to do it. 1 win from 6 MLS matches isn’t good enough. 2 wins from 10 overall is definitely not good enough.

Pozuelo is back next week and after the break there’s a good run of games for Armas to prove that he can make this team a contender (because that’s what the club believes it should be). The current run isn’t just “Vanney left” and growing pains, it’s straight up piss poor. We’ll see how things iron out in a month or so, but it’s not encouraging. Even when Soteldo and Poz are together it won’t solve the blatant (tactical) defensive issues this team has.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah that was bad. For a team as close to full strength as we were, we were so far from being a contender.

No tooth in the attack whatsoever. Defending shambolic on the goal. Frustrating team to watch.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its Seattle & Orlando. Somebody else might come out of the pack but defence wins supporters shield & those 2 teams have it.
    seattle are absolutely miles ahead of orlando. they will win it at a canter this season.

they havent had lodeiro yet and been winning virtually every game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there will be lots of kilopascals on alejandro pozuelo on his return

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Being a playoff team in this league really means close to nothing now. They need to start putting up results. We have the players to do it. 1 win from 6 MLS matches isn’t good enough. 2 wins from 10 overall is definitely not good enough.

Pozuelo is back next week and after the break there’s a good run of games for Armas to prove that he can make this team a contender (because that’s what the club believes it should be). The current run isn’t just “Vanney left” and growing pains, it’s straight up piss poor. We’ll see how things iron out in a month or so, but it’s not encouraging. Even when Soteldo and Poz are together it won’t solve the blatant (tactical) defensive issues this team has.
    Agreed.

Stepping back, how much acceptance should we have of Armas getting time to implement a new system?

Our roster has a better track record in MLS than Armas has as a coach. And it’s far more expensive. His job description should be make the most of what you have, not reinvent the wheel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given what we saw with the Raptors this season I can't see us doing very well until the team is back at BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    2 out of 6 was in the last 30 seconds

I'm thinking 5 out of 6 happened after the subs.

And shot on target for me right now is referring to players facing the net with their body and not hitting the net

De Leon,
    Shaffleburg

Or the fact when 2 out of 6 shots were from the goaline with not a single player crashing.

Ill also mention the confused look when laryea had no open players to throw the ball into and ended giving right to the other team

Unless this is tfc' s strategy, give the ball away in the middle third or final third of the field and then press ?

Intuiton not making me feel good

Worst part is after last week's non own goal, I had a feeling that Armas would put Bono back in as a way to support him, like in my mind I heard Armas said right then and there, well Bono definitely starting next week, all the goalie vs goalie talk, can't pull Bono now

Lol
    Three of our six shots on net were in the last six minutes of the game.

We worked hard, but we have no cohesive offence and our team does not know how to break another team down. All we're doing is building supporting triangles and trying to short pass our way to either a cross or a shot from six yards.

A team like Orlando has to be unbalanced. This is a big pitch and we have speed on both flanks; we should have set up in a defensive counter and then moved the ball diagonally quickly to pull their defenders out of position.

If everything you play is either a short pass or a deep cross, you're only predictable, you're always stuck with a man between you and the goal.

Their only goal was when we were unbalanced and Omar ran to his zonal "spot" rather than defending the only man going into the box, as he was the only defender near him. Rather than use his brain, he played totally zonally and the man was left unmarked.

We didn't unbalance them all night. Not once, not until late, when Shaffelburg game on.

His speed and trickiness made a huge difference tonight. If he plays that well on his right foot THEN WHY THE FUCK IS MARK DELGADO PLAYING AS A WINGER.

Our coach is setting us up to fail. We're not mediocre. We had a fucking nine game winning streak with essentially the same roster last year, and were one win off the supporter's shield.

Jury is still out, but so far he is failing. Given his performances in NY, this is so far par for the course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Their only goal was when we were unbalanced and Omar ran to his zonal "spot" rather than defending the only man going into the box, as he was the only defender near him. Rather than use his brain, he played totally zonally and the man was left unmarked.
    Whilst I think Omar has lost a step, the goal is all on Ritchie, both Mavinga and Omar played a line they expected Ritchie to step up, they left the players go put their hands up, of course it looks terrible. You can see as the header happen Omar look at Ritchie with a WTF.

But it is shambolic, I suspect Westberg is a keeper who would be sharply reminding Ritchie of the situation.

I am worried like most here that the team is not playing together with a plan. Each player just does a bit of his thing with no connection to the rest of the team, they are a really bad Jazz ensemble of great players.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What did people think about the yellow card to Soteldo? Especially on the replay, it looked like he touched the ball and not the player. He did dive in, and it didn't look great from a distance but the ref was close enough to see. To me he went in and touched the ball away parallel to the Orlando player, not through him. I thought it wasn't even a foul, let alone a yellow. Soteldo was more tentative on defence and on winning the ball back after that.

On attack, his ability to play through tackles and fouls is pretty amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've only got one thing,

"If it ain't broke don't fix it"

Too late

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CorrwgBach View Post
    Whilst I think Omar has lost a step, the goal is all on Ritchie, both Mavinga and Omar played a line they expected Ritchie to step up, they left the players go put their hands up, of course it looks terrible. You can see as the header happen Omar look at Ritchie with a WTF.

But it is shambolic, I suspect Westberg is a keeper who would be sharply reminding Ritchie of the situation.

I am worried like most here that the team is not playing together with a plan. Each player just does a bit of his thing with no connection to the rest of the team, they are a really bad Jazz ensemble of great players.
    I just re-watched the goal. Richie screwed up a bit but he was far from the only one. First of all Mavinga is the only one attacking the guy who crossed, so he's pulled way to the side, at the side of the 18-yard box. I don't like that anyway, TFC does it far too often this season. But even worse nobody else made it back far enough to cover for him in the middle.

Omar & Mavinga actually were nowhere close to a line. At the moment of the cross Omar was even farther back than Richie and keeping 2 Orlando players on-side. (Actually one of them, #9 was also kept onside by the ball.) Plus when the guy putting in a cross is already inside the 18 and four Orlando players are crashing the goal, you cannot ever play for offside. Those attacking the goal will run onto a cross or pass and not be offside, it's way too risky. I'll try to upload a screenshot.

Omar also pulled toward Mavinga's side and then stopped cold on the cross. Plus three TFC midfielders were running back staring at the ball and also heading in that direction, Bradley even made a last-minute sprint towards Omar and the nearside of the goal but also suddenly stopped. None of our MFs noticed the 4 Orlando players crashing the goal, nor did they try to cover a player or that zone. Delgado was the closest to being in a useful position, but even he stopped cold when the cross was hit. I don't know if guys took their queue from Omar or just gave up, but you can't play for offside when the cross has already been kicked.

In the end you had 4 Orlando players in a potential scoring position and only Richie covering near our goal. Two of them were much taller than Richie, and it didn't matter what he did, one of them would have scored. Richie heading towards the far post instead of into the middle was also silly, but far from the only problem here. Compare Orlando when TFC was attacking. They always had a bunch of guys in front of their own net and making life difficult for our attackers. Partly because they are way better organized on defence; partly because TFC hardly ever manages to attack as quickly as Orlando on this goal and to flood the box to gain a numerical advantage.

Here's the moment of the cross, it's not looking pretty:

Last edited by Auzzy; 05-23-2021 at 07:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ You’re right, quite a bit going on here.

Multiple breakdowns and always a tough situation because we didn’t have the necessary numbers back.

In Omar’s case he has a lot to deal with. In a situation where everybody is back defending, it makes sense for him to focus on that space in front of the near post like he is during this play. But that’s not what’s happening here, they are countering and we’re scrambling to get things under control. The danger is with Akindele who is tracking down the middle. Now that said, Omar is so slow, if he marks Akindele tightly he probably gets beat to the near post anyway.

An exceptional CB might find a way to sort that out but most wouldn’t. Then again you could argue on Omar’s salary we pay him to be exceptional, not average

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    ^ You’re right, quite a bit going on here.

Multiple breakdowns and always a tough situation because we didn’t have the necessary numbers back.

In Omar’s case he has a lot to deal with. In a situation where everybody is back defending, it makes sense for him to focus on that space in front of the near post like he is during this play. But that’s not what’s happening here, they are countering and we’re scrambling to get things under control. The danger is with Akindele who is tracking down the middle. Now that said, Omar is so slow, if he marks Akindele tightly he probably gets beat to the near post anyway.

An exceptional CB might find a way to sort that out but most wouldn’t. Then again you could argue on Omar’s salary we pay him to be exceptional, not average
    I agree. I think Omar carries some extra responsibility as a defensive leader, but he is also far from the only problem. You have to watch the whole highlight to see everything that is happening; the screenshot is just at the time of the cross. There is a failure of individuals and the whole system. There have been MANY situations this year where Richie or another FB was totally alone in front of net with a bunch of attackers; we were only lucky to not get scored on more often. I would also argue that once van der Water stops and pulls back, it was clear it would be a cross and not a direct attack on goal. Maybe Bono should have moved in anticipation and collected the looping cross in the box. (Not to put too much blame on Bono either; he's just one cog in a machine that wasn't functioning.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A breakdown or two a game is pretty much the price of eggs for any pressing system (if you are not Man City).

The problem for me is that we are not generating nearly the chances that a press should be creating. Outside of the Leon games, it hasn’t worked at all. We are scaring nobody when we press, so Orlando can cheat forward. That is the root cause of the mismatch on the goal. You watch the beginning of that goal, Orlando is under pressure at the back but the MFs take off forward, they are not worried about a turnover. That's how they flood the zone.

Our biggest problems are in the opposing end, with the press and on offence. I think you fix that and the defence will snap back.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-23-2021 at 08:52 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”