Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I can’t imagine a world where someone can watch that and think “yeah that’s okay, I’ll take it”
    Games on that pitch are always crappy and a crapshoot. Thats where I am coming from. Still have a glow from Wednesday I guess.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this pitch is a goddamn joke, they should be forced to play somewhere with proper dimensions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My only gripe after this game is: what is our plan offensively? We can't create anything on the front foot right now. We got lucky to have a play break down, though all the credit to Mullins and Shaff for making something happen. Still with Solteldo, Richie, Ayo, Jozy, Lawrence out starting and there was almost no point where we threatened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After the Red Bulls game, I'd have taken four points from these last two games in a heartbeat. Maybe not so much in previous years, but certainly in this new reality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

33% out of total points is great?? how do you expect to get to the playoffs that way, we need to compete every game, and every point counts, this means out of 15 total points we left 10 points on the table, 33% wont get you in to the playoffs; and if we leave too many points back at the end of the season it will come and bite us on our rears

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    I'm not sure what to say, I don't feel connected to this team.

The beautiful possession build up is gone,

Bradley shouldn't be leading the teams in shots or goals, he proven he can't even hit the target his last goal he literally passed it into the net.

Bono should be done as a starter

Seems like no clear direction from the team, coach which I guess is a reflection on manning and Ali relying on friends/colleagues rather than doing their job.

I dont feel anything after this draw lol
    So I want to see a bit more bit in general, the performance of this team compared to its wage bill is very bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    this pitch is a goddamn joke, they should be forced to play somewhere with proper dimanesions.
    Loving that typo...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bizarrely, if Q had played in that game we probably would have won, despite everything.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Easy

2.75 days after the last game
    Away from home on that stupid pitch which doesn't allow you to do anything but hope for a bit of briallance
    Without our starting AM & our second best mid

There are issues, we all know them

But in a long season, I'll take that and move on
    Add in the fact that every game is an away game. This is not an excuse, but it is a factor. Staying mentally focused in these conditions is difficult, and mental health well being is a factor.

Considering all this, anytime TFC gets an away point this season I'm good with. Hopefully TFC can come back home to Toronto, and the team can fully concentrate on playing soccer.

Oh yeah, I think Armas is still finding about his team. Tried a few things again, didn't quite work, so made the right subs to get a point. But keep starting Bono... well, NYRB supporters say Armas makes quite a few bonehead decisions.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono didn’t do much to support Ensco’s argument today.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Bono didn’t do much to support Ensco’s argument today.
    No, I said seeing if giving Bono 10-15 games might work made sense to me. But I also said if/when Bono does sit, he will never see the pitch again here.

I also said that I think both Bono and Q may be gone by summer.

I think what you guys all think about what we saw today. I know he has shown flashes of who he was... but championship teams don’t have goaltending that looks like that.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easy

2.75 days after the last game
    Away from home on that stupid pitch which doesn't allow you to do anything but hope for a bit of briallance
    Without our starting AM & our second best mid

There are issues, we all know them

But in a long season, I'll take that and move on
    I’ll take that result away from home in a packed week every time.

But we all watched that game. Some of this has nothing to do with being on short rest, the pitch, or missing players. The side looked collectively disconnected and poor today. Tactical decisions were completely wacky. Bono, stubbornly picked by Armas, was a disaster. And we performed like this against a side which also looked incredibly poor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone:

Armas:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    No, I said seeing if giving Bono 10-15 games might work made sense to me. But I also said if/when Bono does sit, he will never see the pitch again here.

I also said that I think both Bono and Q may be gone by summer.

I think what you guys all think about what we saw today. I know he has shown flashes of who he was... but championship teams don’t have goaltending that looks like that.
    The wall didn’t do him any favours on that goal. Then again it’s really his responsibility to set it up and it was a disaster.

You might be right about both going. We feel really weak in that position all of a sudden. But time to start Q I think.
    Last edited by Canary10; 05-15-2021 at 03:00 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please don’t ever start Bono again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wall didn’t do him any favours on that goal. Then again it’s really his responsibility to set it up and it was a disaster.

You might be right about both going. We feel really weak in that position all of a sudden. But time to start Q I think.
    True about the wall but he still has to collect it. Then he almost scored on himself. This is after being a turnover machine anytime the defense sends a ball back his way. It's too much. All along people have been saying that we can't blame the poor results on the keeper. Ok acknowledged. Today was almost exclusively a loss due to the keeper but that will likely not factor in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GerMc View Post
    Please don’t ever start Bono again.
    I got killed by a bad hopper like that once in a college intramural game, so I have sympathy. But he did react very, very late to the bad skip. When you see it in slow mo, it's clear he's already gathered the ball in his head and is effectively not focusing on it, because the spot he's staring at doesn't shift, just his hands at the last second to bat it down.

And as Og mentioned, he's done the "bat it down" thing more commonly than the norm in the past. There's usually no one there, although I think it has cost us a goal before. I swear, in his rookie season we discussed whether he had vision issues.

Either way, when a ball breaks hard like that off the bounce, goalie's supposed to knock it up and over, be sure and clear it if you can't hold it.

And we're very lucky on the second one that the guy hopped a foot.

Other than that, I thought we did okay. Auro played well centrally and forced Bradley to stay in position. I noticed as soon as Ralph came on, Bradley started drifting and running over him instead of trusting him to close down his zone. Shaffelburg looked terrifying and dynamic; he's a real late-game threat due to the speed and poise. He was at the same school at Jack Harrison and was considered by the staff there as good a player, so he has real upside.

Mullins with a great ball and some dynamic forward play. The two striker set was a bit naïve; the key on a small pitch isn't to further pack an already packed box, it's to shift the play and unbalance it from side to side on the diagonal, which is why NYFC generally plays with one up top.

Ayo looked a bit better today but still lacking energy somewhat. Jozy looked okay. Tough for a big forward to do much without service on a pitch that small. Dwyer looked good; feisty and involved. When we had him up top with Mullins and Shaffelburg, they were really creating some havoc just by having fresh legs and two of them being forwards rather than out-and-out-strikers.

Bono? I don't know. If it wasn't for his past gaffes, I wouldn't hold that one against him because the bounce was heinous. But then the late kick was really stupid and you only blow pawing that bouncer away if you catch it too late. It bounced three feet ahead of him, so he had time to make the right call. But he didn't.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a big field lad, consider going somewhere else then where their one player is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a big field lad, consider going somewhere else then where their one player is.
    I get that he was trying to start a play quickly, but what he easily could have noticed is Medina was standing right at the 18, so Bono could have easily booted the ball from the PK spot. You don't have to release the ball from the top of the 18 every time, especially if you can aim, then you know how to adjust power, so location of release can be modified

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya'll want to see some classic Bono?

https://youtu.be/VJ9EK4vyFOU?t=204

Get this clown off the team.
    Last edited by Richard; 05-15-2021 at 06:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Ya'll want to see some classic Bono?

https://youtu.be/VJ9EK4vyFOU?t=204

Get this clown off the team.
    That one might've been the one that prompted the "does he have eyesight problems?" conversation.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No hyperbole, I think that was the worst built wall I've ever seen. You could hear him on the broadcast screaming something at Yefe, the literal worst player on the field to have in any kind of wall, and I don't know if it was even to have him in or out of it but for whatever reason he ended up being neither somehow. It wasn't even just him, Akinola and Endoh I think were the other two and had broken apart well before the kick was even taken. That kick was pretty awful but it didn't matter when nobody in red (or GK yellow) had any idea what to do (to be clear, Ayo/Tsuba/Yefe have to take some blame for that too). I can give Bono a pass on the actual goal due to the freaky Yankee Stadium bounce and I can give him somewhat of a pass for the flukey nature of the Medina incident, but I'm not giving him any rope for the latest and most egregious example of his complete inability to organize his team. It's been 3 years since he let in that free kick against Chivas and he hasn't shown any sign of getting back to his form before that. He hasn't improved any aspects of his game, hasn't shown any kind of confidence or presence, and he doesn't have Drew Moor coaching him through games any more. He's not going to get any better at this point, at least not with TFC. I hope he proves me wrong but I don't think he will. If Westberg doesn't start either of our last two May games, I might already be firmly on the #ArmasOut train

It wasn't all bad today. I thought our left side looked great - Lawrence is a stud and Soteldo created our best chances again. I'm delighted super Shaffelburg got his first goal today, great finish and good set-up by Mullins - him and Dwyer were effective enough, despite being possibly the shithousiest two-forward setup we've ever had. That goal completely debilitated NYC - they totally lost their heads after and was no way back for them and I'll take an ugly draw on the road. Also Auro was a very pleasant surprise at CM, though I hope that doesn't become a regular thing.

As for the non-Bono negatives, I'm officially concerned about Akinola. He's nowhere near as sharp with his movement or anticipation in the box as he was last year, and he's not going to score or be especially useful without those qualities. Jozy may actually be above him on the depth chart now, despite not being much better today.

I'm also worried Armas isn't ever going to let Soteldo play 90 minutes. He was up against a rookie at RWB who was getting destroyed and was on a yellow - why weren't we trying to get him isolated against Jasson all game, and especially in the second half? You would think Yefe's match fitness shouldn't be an issue at this point and he is already our most dangerous creative player, so why is he still getting subbed out early? Maybe he shouldn't be pressing so hard and so constantly so we can actually use him for a full game, or at least most of it. This despite his replacement looking good as well and getting a goal. I can see us getting into the playoffs through sheer talent, but that doesn't mean Armas will have done a good job. He still makes baffling tactical and substitution decisions and there's no evidence he's better than that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Akinola has been dreadful to start the year and might see his minutes reduced if Altidore is healthy and he keeps being outplayed by the Bash Brothers of Dwyer and Mullinho.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    I'm also worried Armas isn't ever going to let Soteldo play 90 minutes. He was up against a rookie at RWB who was getting destroyed and was on a yellow - why weren't we trying to get him isolated against Jasson all game, and especially in the second half? You would think Yefe's match fitness shouldn't be an issue at this point and he is already our most dangerous creative player, so why is he still getting subbed out early? Maybe he shouldn't be pressing so hard and so constantly so we can actually use him for a full game, or at least most of it. This despite his replacement looking good as well and getting a goal. I can see us getting into the playoffs through sheer talent, but that doesn't mean Armas will have done a good job. He still makes baffling tactical and substitution decisions and there's no evidence he's better than that
    Yefe faded away hard and was not effective in 2nd half. I don't know what's up, but first half he was good, and the NYCFC adjusted a bit, and Yefe had little effect in 2nd half before subbed out

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone explain to me why Bradley, while facing goal and not a defender near him, he opts to pass the ball to no one, shoot the fucking ball, we would have won the game even with Bono's flubs. Lareya is a one trick pony whom has been figured out, and Akinola has been, dreadful. he is looking like he has been eating all the pies!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Armas has to change his plan now. I think that really was it for Bono.

That disallowed goal, that just couldn’t happen after the first one. Even though it got called back, it crushed Bono in the eyes of his teammates.

Guys have to believe their GK is together and lucky, not fragile and accident prone.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we were not that bad today... 2-1/2 days rest,i didnt hate auro at DM today.once we get oso and poz back,i think you will only see one up front,i think we can play with anybody in the east,nobody really scares me,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    No hyperbole, I think that was the worst built wall I've ever seen. You could hear him on the broadcast screaming something at Yefe, the literal worst player on the field to have in any kind of wall, and I don't know if it was even to have him in or out of it but for whatever reason he ended up being neither somehow. It wasn't even just him, Akinola and Endoh I think were the other two and had broken apart well before the kick was even taken. That kick was pretty awful but it didn't matter when nobody in red (or GK yellow) had any idea what to do (to be clear, Ayo/Tsuba/Yefe have to take some blame for that too). I can give Bono a pass on the actual goal due to the freaky Yankee Stadium bounce and I can give him somewhat of a pass for the flukey nature of the Medina incident, but I'm not giving him any rope for the latest and most egregious example of his complete inability to organize his team. It's been 3 years since he let in that free kick against Chivas and he hasn't shown any sign of getting back to his form before that. He hasn't improved any aspects of his game, hasn't shown any kind of confidence or presence, and he doesn't have Drew Moor coaching him through games any more. He's not going to get any better at this point, at least not with TFC. I hope he proves me wrong but I don't think he will. If Westberg doesn't start either of our last two May games, I might already be firmly on the #ArmasOut train

It wasn't all bad today. I thought our left side looked great - Lawrence is a stud and Soteldo created our best chances again. I'm delighted super Shaffelburg got his first goal today, great finish and good set-up by Mullins - him and Dwyer were effective enough, despite being possibly the shithousiest two-forward setup we've ever had. That goal completely debilitated NYC - they totally lost their heads after and was no way back for them and I'll take an ugly draw on the road. Also Auro was a very pleasant surprise at CM, though I hope that doesn't become a regular thing.

As for the non-Bono negatives, I'm officially concerned about Akinola. He's nowhere near as sharp with his movement or anticipation in the box as he was last year, and he's not going to score or be especially useful without those qualities. Jozy may actually be above him on the depth chart now, despite not being much better today.

Love all of this analysis. particularly the bold parts. Thoughtful and fair to Bono.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Akinola has been dreadful to start the year and might see his minutes reduced if Altidore is healthy and he keeps being outplayed by the Bash Brothers of Dwyer and Mullinho.
    we have a nickname...
    Last edited by MightyDM; 05-15-2021 at 10:40 PM.