Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    There is a chart somewhere in one of the threads that clearly shows this.
    Last edited by rydermike; 05-13-2021 at 03:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Yes that’s the one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgive my layman stupidity, but some aspects of that analysis goes completely over my head (and I generally like Platt).

It’s basically saying, well it doesn’t matter if Bono completes these passes , because the idea is to create 50/50 balls and recover? Good grief.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have always gone by the idea that when the keeper has the ability to throw the ball he should. It creates a much higher percentage chance of retaining the ball. Especially a guy like Bono who struggles distributing with his feet. Why not throw it to a full back or centerback if they are available unless it is the last minutes of the game and the ball needs to get up the field in a hurry?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Forgive my layman stupidity, but some aspects of that analysis goes completely over my head (and I generally like Platt).

It’s basically saying, well it doesn’t matter if Bono completes these passes , because the idea is to create 50/50 balls and recover? Good grief.
    Most goals are typically scored from turnovers in own third. The goal of counterpressing is to win the ball high up the pitch, which is the RB model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    Most goals are typically scored from turnovers in own third. The goal of counterpressing is to win the ball high up the pitch, which is the RB model.
    I get that. But wouldn’t the caveat be: under what conditions can you actually create enough turnovers in the final 3rd to make the tactic worthwhile?

My hunch is the turnovers that lead to goals are far more likely to be the type that involve a quick recovery after the end of an attacking sequence. Situations where you have numbers in the final 3rd and can quickly press the opposition into giving you the ball back.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Team brought Bono out for the presser today & did a tweet about not listening to "the noise" with Bono's picture.

I'd say somebody in management got steamed about all the questions on Bono/Q & communications, for some reason, is going along with it.
    Fans opinions are just "noise" now. They should put that in a marketing campaign to sell some tickets. Haha.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW - here's the tweet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I was really glad to see last night is Omar getting in on the set piece that set up Jozy's goal. We should be using his height better. He could be scoring 4-5 goals a year on set pieces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    One thing I was really glad to see last night is Omar getting in on the set piece that set up Jozy's goal. We should be using his height better. He could be scoring 4-5 goals a year on set pieces.
    Pretty sure we target him on almost every set piece (at least most corners into the box). It’s all about the quality of those balls and not the frequency IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An oddball request here...does anyone have any links/etc on how to re-watch the full game from last night?

Much thanks in advance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW - here's the tweet

That really bugs me. Makes it look like the social media team just laughs at all of us who invest so much time into this team because Bono got a fairly easy clean sheet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    That really bugs me. Makes it look like the social media team just laughs at all of us who invest so much time into this team because Bono got a fairly easy clean sheet.
    We’ll see how far this management group gets. At least they’re supporting the player as opposed to just outright being dismissive.

I don’t share their opinion but it’s sort of funny that one question from a reporter and dank chatter on the internet requires a snarky response.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We’ll see how far this management group gets. At least they’re supporting the player as opposed to just outright being dismissive.

I don’t share their opinion but it’s sort of funny that one question from a reporter and dank chatter on the internet requires a snarky response.
    Just seems overly combative from a channel that is supposed to be for us fans. Is it outside of our rights to want to see the guy who has been a rock for us the past two years over the guy who had only won a single game this season until last night?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I am fine with it. If it helps Alex, it’s OK.

Let's face it, being a GK is the hardest job in the world. I remember Gump Worsley (a guy 99% of you won’t know, an NHL goalie from long ago) saying, “how would you like a job where 18000 people scream and a red light goes on, every time you screw up?”
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ... I remember Gump Worsley (a guy 99% of you won’t know, an NHL goalie from long ago) saying, “how would you like a job where 18000 people scream and a red light goes on, every time you screw up?”

TIL through wikipedia the guy played soccer as well & played in the equivalent of the Voyageurs back in the 50's

https://news.google.com/newspapers?i...3963%2C2709073
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 05-13-2021 at 09:09 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i think the better conclusion is that Bono is still airing balls up the middle and off to the sides wildly like he was doing in 2018 before they went and got Westberg who distributes with purpose.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIL through wikipedia the guy played soccer as well & played in the equivalent of the Voyageurs back in the 50's

I read Gump's autobiography a few years back. Not only was he a serious soccer player, he played on a Saskatchewan Selects team that had a friendly in the 1950s against... Tottenham Hotspur!

The Sask Selects lost 13-0.

EDIT: It was 18-1
    https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/new...-show-goes-on/
    Last edited by ensco; 05-13-2021 at 10:15 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read Gump's autobiography a few years back. Not only was he a serious soccer player, he played on a Saskatchewan Selects team that had a friendly in the 1950s against... Tottenham Hotspur!

The Sask Selects lost 13-0.
    I recently learned that Peter Zezel was another guy who played in the NHL and pro soccer. Played on Canada's U20 team, then had brief stint in the old NASL and the original CSL (not the current corrupt one - the original Canadian pro D1 league)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I recently learned that Peter Zezel was another guy who played in the NHL and pro soccer. Played on Canada's U20 team, then had brief stint in the old NASL and the original CSL (not the current corrupt one - the original Canadian pro D1 league)
    Zezel was good with his feet in hockey too - he was famous for a faceoff trick, tying guys up and using his feet to kick the puck to his teammates.

He had seats near me in TFC's early days at BMO. People were constantly coming up to him to say hi. Very sad, he had a rare disease and died young.

Only Gump ever played in both a Stanley Cup Final and the Canadian soccer championship final
    https://www.thestar.com/opinion/2007...2_leagues.html
    Last edited by ensco; 05-13-2021 at 10:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched Gump Worsley take a slapshot from Bobby Hull right off his forehead. No mask. On TV and might have been a highlight or replay, but I watched it. Almost killed him. Incredibly tough. Never knew that he played soccer. Wouldn’t be allowed nowadays. Which is sad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's face it, being a GK is the hardest job in the world. I remember Gump Worsley (a guy 99% of you won’t know, an NHL goalie from long ago) saying, “how would you like a job where 18000 people scream and a red light goes on, every time you screw up?”
    As an ex keeper myself, I do always have sympathy for no1's. Pretty much every mistake is punished to the full. But I don't see any of this "Noise" being a criticism of Bono, but directed at the coach's selection of Bono. I think it is fair to say that the general opinion of most on this board is that Q is the better all round keeper and therefore should be playing. I can't help but think that this tweet is pretty insulting to the views and knowledge of the majority of fans, and is very poorly done. A PR disaster, and probably just heaps more pressure on Bono.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Red View Post
    As an ex keeper myself, I do always have sympathy for no1's. Pretty much every mistake is punished to the full. But I don't see any of this "Noise" being a criticism of Bono, but directed at the coach's selection of Bono. I think it is fair to say that the general opinion of most on this board is that Q is the better all round keeper and therefore should be playing. I can't help but think that this tweet is pretty insulting to the views and knowledge of the majority of fans, and is very poorly done. A PR disaster, and probably just heaps more pressure on Bono.
    This is it for me. Nothing I have read or said myself is a direct hit on Bono but totally about the coaching decision on how to use him. I have nothing against Bono and I am sure he is doing the best he can and working hard and he seems like a nice guy and good teammate and all that. This is not about him personally at all and that is what Bono needs to realize if nothing else from the "noise" around this. We just want the team to win and majority of fans and pundits think that is with Q so we are entitled to our opinion. This is pro sports and not houseleague where everyone gets an equal chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fun fact: Our boy Gump was born on this day in 1929!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_S View Post
    Fun fact: Our boy Gump was born on this day in 1929!
    Haha.

OK one more Gump story.

When he was with the Rangers, who were the worst team in the NHL in the 1950s, he was asked by reporters: “which team gives you the most trouble?” Answer: “The Rangers”.

OK OK one more. He smoked 50 cigarettes a day, and smoked during intermission.

They don’t make them like this anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha.

OK one more Gump story.

When he was with the Rangers, who were the worst team in the NHL in the 1950s, he was asked by reporters: “which team gives you the most trouble?” Answer: “The Rangers”.

OK OK one more. He smoked 50 cigarettes a day, and smoked during intermission.

They don’t make them like this anymore.
    Lafleur was a smoker too. And that answer about the Rangers is hilarious