Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as someone else said earlier in this thread, we need to combine pressing and possession more the way Man City does - thats the way to connect the players we have with a new approach.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Yeah that's fair. I'm not about to contradict you given your name! I'm just saying the style can be done in a stylish way.
    definitely can.

all starts with having incredibly high fitness levels though, which i think it's clear we dont.

also unsure as to how this would work in many parts of the US over the summer where the temperature can reach 30 degrees +

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    definitely can.

all starts with having incredibly high fitness levels though, which i think it's clear we dont.

also unsure as to how this would work in many parts of the US over the summer where the temperature can reach 30 degrees +
    Definitely true (even altitude in some places). We don't have the fitness atm regardless, as you said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by smtavare View Post
    Did it mention anywhere about his professional licenses? anyways looks like all mentioned above is already happening with TFC - do not like direction we are going with all this Talent

If we have a Bad year with Pozuelo and Osario back, he has to go
    No licenses - plucked straight out of high school / collegiate system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    No licenses - plucked straight out of high school / collegiate system.

He had all the time in the world and a Red Bull system to start working on his UEFA licenses, and he didn't do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    He had all the time in the world and a Red Bull system to start working on his UEFA licenses, and he didn't do it.
    I’m not really one to care too much about these things, but I have to agree. Very little indication of any commitment to his professional development. Especially when you consider the resources available to him at RBNY and compared to Marsch.

Vanney felt like he was always trying to progress, even if it didn’t come off on the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, early on Vanney seemed to have a clear idea of what he wanted to do, even if it was not working. In the end we benefited.

I do have concerns about an all out pressing system for 90 minutes, in light of so many of our games being played in summer. It is not so easy to press, in 30 degree heat, not for 90.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC should have brought Robin Fraser back, but here we are. I don't know why I dislike Armas as our coach so much. I like that he's playing the kids and I like the players we've signed, but something about him I just don't have faith in.

I suspect we are going to be a top 4 team in the east this year and he will survive as our coach for several years, while underperforming season after season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought you need to have professional licenses in order to coach professionally? Or is that just in Europe ?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Yeah, early on Vanney seemed to have a clear idea of what he wanted to do, even if it was not working. In the end we benefited.

I do have concerns about an all out pressing system for 90 minutes, in light of so many of our games being played in summer. It is not so easy to press, in 30 degree heat, not for 90.

Well is it all out pressing for 90?
    I thought the goal was press hard on defence to win the ball back - rest when in possession - move the ball forward

Vanney was definitely more:
    Win the ball in Key Areas - possession until the opportunity presents itself to move forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just think the TFC no POZZ excuse is rubbish and childish

Seattle missing Nicolás Lodeiro & Jack Morris but are still best team in MLS with 16 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Call me crazy but I’m 99.99% sure that previous Saturday vs NYCFC we saw TFC play VANNEY BALL at moments instead of ARMAS BALL

You definitely can’t win a 🏆 early on but certainly can loose it early on -as they’ve already lost supporter 🛡

I’m not bashing Armas but it’s unacceptable to have 5 points in 5 games with the players that he has

But as long they beat LEON and BONO is his #1

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KULA10 View Post
    Call me crazy but I’m 99.99% sure that previous Saturday vs NYCFC we saw TFC play VANNEY BALL at moments instead of ARMAS BALL
    I feel this. Lots of times the pressing seems to work and the ball is won in a dangerous part of the pitch, but then the old habits kick in and things slow down enough for the opposition to catch back up and get into position. Need to make those turnovers more punishing.

Big system overhaul for sure so I can be patient but team doesn't seem to have their new attacking identity quite figured out yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Armas deserves until July 7 (12 MLS Matches; 16 Total) before people start forming very firm opinions. He's got a significant break to work with the play players after next week and then there's a rush of games. If we're playing as poorly as we have been and the results match then I think it's hard not to be Armas out. This team thinks it’s good enough to win, it should be evaluated against that standard.
    Last edited by portu; 05-21-2021 at 08:34 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Armas is not going to get fired mid season.

Like everyone else, he gets at least two transfer windows. I hate the Serie A/Brazilian ridiculous firing a manager every couple of weeks
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am very interested to see what Armas is gonna do with a healthy lineup. A lot of the youth Armas promised to play have already seen their minutes cut and it is probably gonna continue that way with Osorio and Pozuelo returning soon. Shaffelburg and Priso are likely the only guys who will continue to see regular-ish minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im okay with Armas, we are in the transition stage, I honestly believe TFC will be a force to reckon with next season . right now this team kind of reminds me of the 2015 team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lads, he's fucking shite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Lads, he's fucking shite
    Starting to look that way. No offence, little tactical inspiration, poor lineup choices.

We won every statistical battle tonight except total tackles and yet never looked like an offensive threat until we threw everything at them in the last five.

Our attacking strategy seems to be "pump it into the corner, hope someone picks up junk in the box."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wonder where this club would be with vanney at the helm with these players

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still makes no sense why Curtis and Manning picked a manager that did not fit the group of players we have. I know the press is all the rage right now, especially because of the success of Leeds. But, a coach of a similar philosophy to Vanney should of been the move.

The makeup of this team is to maintain possession and create chances. The midfield of Bradley/Osorio/Delgado worked so well because each had a clearly defined role, now they are all running around trying to cover for each other when the press is broken.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another note, sure seems like Armas has gone away from playing the 'Young Gunz'. Shaffelburg is really the only one who has taken his chance and turned it into something. Priso shows flashes. The rest of the kids really need to log heavy minutes somewhere. Especially Nelson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t think Auro has been poor at DM, but he definitely looks out of position in the middle of the pitch. How is Priso still not picking up games? He was decent enough for sure. Now we’ve got a right back playing DM for the first time since his academy days because “he said he played there before”. Delgado, who’s also “played there before” for maybe 100 MLS games is meanwhile sitting on the right wing when Shaff has been playing very well. I’m honestly sure that Delgado playing on the right is related to him playing right back for Chivas USA when he was 18 for a few matches and the very brief experiment Vanney had playing him as a right midfielder about 6 years ago. Bono said in an interview last week that he played a bit of striker in high school - I hope Armas isn’t too tempted by that prospect.

Play the kids right? Wrong.
    Last edited by portu; 05-23-2021 at 04:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the next five games we have: Columbus, Orlando, Nashville, Cinci, and DC.

The first two games are tougher but the last three are against what I would describe as true bottom half teams. If we don’t pick up a win in that 5-game stretch, I would fire him.

Nobody survives a run of form like that, going 11 league games with only one win. It more or less indicatives you’ve got a flawed approach as a manager.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Still makes no sense why Curtis and Manning picked a manager that did not fit the group of players we have. ...
    I still think Armas was the 3rd or 4th choice. DCU was all in on Armas & starting to negotiate terms - then we swooped in late. Something changed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    In the next five games we have: Columbus, Orlando, Nashville, Cinci, and DC.

The first two games are tougher but the last three are against what I would describe as true bottom half teams. If we don’t pick up a win in that 5-game stretch, I would fire him.

Nobody survives a run of form like that, going 11 league games with only one win. It more or less indicatives you’ve got a flawed approach as a manager.
    yefe will probs miss 3 or 4 of those games and who knows how many more friday morning injuries we will get?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    I thought you need to have professional licenses in order to coach professionally? Or is that just in Europe ?
    CONCACAF doesn't have any such requirements, and it would be implausible to implement any, given the presence in CONCACAF of nations for which such requirements would be a huge barrier.

MLS could require it but they have had a tradition of having coaches from the collegiate system. So it's up to the club.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 05-23-2021 at 02:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PRO came out last week and said NYC should have been awarded a goal off Bono’s error. We’re lucky to not be on 4 losses. Haven’t seen it anywhere here, so I thought I’d point it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    PRO came out last week and said NYC should have been awarded a goal off Bono’s error. We’re lucky to not be on 4 losses. Haven’t seen it anywhere here, so I thought I’d point it out.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Here's the article for those who want to see https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/pro-e...uld-have-stood

https://proreferees.com/2021/05/22/t...-distribution/

I forgot about the Vancouver play. Even more inexcusable that Bono let it happen again
    Last edited by rydermike; 05-24-2021 at 06:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The team under Armas has shown glimpses of what might be, like in the Columbus game and Club Leon. Those glimpses are a reason for optimism. But he is an experienced MLS coach, so for me he doesnt get time to settle in the way Vanney did - he needs to hit the ground running. Having a goalie make the same mistake twice isnt acceptable - will be a test of him responding to this.