RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yeh, I've seen enough

Until he's gone, we are not a playoff team
    I'm done too. Have Bradley coach the team until we bring in the next coach. This hasn't worked out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I'm done too. Have Bradley coach the team until we bring in the next coach. This hasn't worked out.
    I agree, time to move on

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Please not Bradley. Maybe Dichio would do it if it's clear that it's interim.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd take Ben Olsen as his way to play & practice & his mindset fits this team better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know the narrative on this game from the dopes in charge will be “we just need our best players back. Look how much better we play with Pozuelo on the field”

Never mind they are poorly organized and the coach is clearly adding no value.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    You know the narrative on this game from the dopes in charge will be “we just need our best players back. Look how much better we play with Pozuelo on the field”

Never mind they are poorly organized and the coach is clearly adding no value.
    Plus Pozuelo isn't in charge of the defence.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh, I've seen enough

Until he's gone, we are not a playoff team

That second half did not change my mind. Columbus played into our hands - Porter did not adjust when we stopped pressing & started everything going through Poz.

We got 3 weeks to figure this out & we will still be playing & thinking & training in Florida away from home. I don't think Armas is the man. Too many players playing in weird positions & too much inertia with players being kept going when they should be sat down. And the defence is just poor. Other teams can figure out how to play defence - we just can't. And the injuries are being caused for a reason. Not going to go down the Bono/Q thing because Armas isn't going to change that now out of stubborness.

We play Orlando in 3 weeks, in their house, but as a home match. That's a likely loss. Next game is against Cinci - we lose that too & Armas HAS to be fired.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What will end up happening is the Canadian Championship match will end up happening. TFC will beat Forge and Armas won't be fired because he won a trophy, a single game against a CPL team (or as I'd call it a $20 million payroll beats a $500,000 payroll).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC2 has looked good this season, apart from a 5 minute stint in Game 2 where they gave up 2 goals. They dominated possession with like 70% in their second game. Maybe we can call up the TFC2 coach. If he can coach a possession game, that meshes with our roster of Poz, Oso, Yeff, and co. Then Armas can teach the run and press all game to the teenager filled TFC2 who can handle running.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poz defends Armas.

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer...g-another-loss

I have sympathy if the players like him, but that doesn't explain the clearly daft tactical choices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just realized Armas is our very own Ted Lasso. 🤣

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#firearmas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People are complaining about our attack. And it is fair, clearly. But we are defending like its 2007.

So we have no idea going forward, but at least we are balanced because we also have no idea as to how to defend.

Both speak to a lack of organization and tactics.

And on top of that he has lost Jozy who has been our best 9 ever. And a key to our winning.

I have no idea why he was hired. But I sure know why he should be fired like today. Dichio as intern manager I would be with.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    What will end up happening is the Canadian Championship match will end up happening. TFC will beat Forge and Armas won't be fired because he won a trophy, a single game against a CPL team (or as I'd call it a $20 million payroll beats a $500,000 payroll).
    We won a trophy yesterday.

But I think you're not wrong that Armas is safe for the season but for Covid excuses.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 05-30-2021 at 06:46 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They may have that excuse.

But the problem is wasting this season will mean having to start a step behind next season.

With the international brake it is a perfect time to make a change. Unless they see something that no one else does.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    They may have that excuse.

But the problem is wasting this season will mean having to start a step behind next season.

With the international brake it is a perfect time to make a change. Unless they see something that no one else does.
    To be clear, I thought the team needed a change and will still say it was Vanney's time to move on or change tactics (he wouldn't do the latter so he did the former). I would normally be patient, but with this system, I find it impossible not to blame most of these thigh injuries on the coaching tactics, staff and organization not anticipating it (Solteldo has thrown me over the edge). Time to make another move. #outoftime

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And on top of that he has lost Jozy who has been our best 9 ever. And a key to our winning.

I have no idea why he was hired. But I sure know why he should be fired like today. Dichio as intern manager I would be with.
    Not anymore Jozy isn't. His days are done. We need him go e to get in a legit, healthy DP 9.

And no to Dichio. First, he has no experience, he wasn't interested in it, and the guy they should have hired in the first place never got a job. Go get Pinedo and get things back on track.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ElvistheEvilScotsman View Post
    Just realized Armas is our very own Ted Lasso. 藍

Ted does a way better job at actually coaching to success - and I assume also in making cookies.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to note something here.

Caleb Porter barely got his team 3 points yesterday. He put out the right approach to beat the way TFC was likely going to be set up. But, once again, Porter did not react to what was going on in game all that well. He has a history of that.

My issue with Armas is he does that lack of reaction for games on end & it will cost us points & likely mean we will not make the playoffs. And, I think most coaches in this league will, when confronted with us playing like we did in the second half yesterday, adjust and not let us win.

I can be convinced I am wrong by this team turning things around. Right now I'm not sure they can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ted does a way better job at actually coaching to success - and I assume also in making cookies.
    Ted Lasso does the most important part of coaching extremely well; social competence.

I’ve yet to see this with Armas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The more I hear Armas justify his thinking in the media the more I am siding with Altidore. If I'm this disgusted by his rational sitting on my couch I can only imagine how mad I'd be if this man was about to end my career.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    The more I hear Armas justify his thinking in the media the more I am siding with Altidore. If I'm this disgusted by his rational sitting on my couch I can only imagine how mad I'd be if this man was about to end my career.
    Exactly this, maybe Jozy has been a prick but let one of your legends then go in good grace. Putting him in the penalty box is pathetic. If Jozy has been really bad, then be transparent to the supporters. A bust up in practice is not enough... there is way too much speculation, either way. And if I saw another star player injured, I would be pretty pissed as well. Does anyone know if the bust up was before or after Sotledo's injury.

The BS is that the front office is just letting this simmer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to note something here.

Caleb Porter barely got his team 3 points yesterday. He put out the right approach to beat the way TFC was likely going to be set up. But, once again, Porter did not react to what was going on in game all that well. He has a history of that.

My issue with Armas is he does that lack of reaction for games on end & it will cost us points & likely mean we will not make the playoffs. And, I think most coaches in this league will, when confronted with us playing like we did in the second half yesterday, adjust and not let us win.

I can be convinced I am wrong by this team turning things around. Right now I'm not sure they can.
    I'd hasten to say the laissez-faire tactical approaches of players and coaches who came up in MLS 1.0 is becoming more and more apparent. It's very MLS 1.0 to think players can play anywhere, because back then they often had to. In the U.S. college system they often have to play more than one role.

Olsen did it in D.C., Marriner did it with us, Porter has both used guys out of position and habitually doesn't adapt. Maybe Im seeing a pattern that isn't really there, but coaches who came up in this league and the NCAA generally seem to be a step behind. I'd say Bruce Arena is the big exception, although he a) weirdly started as a lacrosse coach and did that for years before soccer, so maybe he's just a brilliant motivator and b) had most of his success in the first generation.

When Bob Bradley was at Swansea, fans there were perplexed by why he kept switching formations and positions. He was obviously a strong character and good motivator, but his team had no consistency.

I just refuse to look at the cohort example of world football, where players rarely switch positions -- but usually do so permanently to stave off a shortcoming -- and think "they've got it all wrong. It doesn't matter if a player is so grooved in his position that it's second nature; he can think his way through it all at game speed, without recent experience factoring."

Fucking bollocks. Total bollocks. It's just arrogance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's one thing to use players out of position mid-game in an emergency when there's injuries/red cards etc and no readily available sub for that spot. It's another thing when you have better options and ignore them.

If we were in a situation where there was three subs (not five like now), Delgado had already been subbed out, and then Bradley gets injured in the 70th and on your bench you only have Zavaleta, Morrow, Auro, and Westberg left, then sure throw Auro on as DM. That's the only time Auro should be playing CM over RB, even though he's done a decent job there. When you do it as the starting lineup with Delgado/Priso/Okello/Osorio/Bradley all available for multiple games, it makes zero sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A note about switching positions. Sure some players and some positions can be switched, because of the commonalities or roles and/ the individual characteristics of a player. Like a Dm to a CB or a hard tackling defensively responsible CM ti DM. But putting a small speedy player used to running up the wings, to DM does not seem a natural switch. I guess is that he wanted him for his speed and stamina, and auro is a defensive player, but it does not seem to fit and there has been no growth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A note about switching positions. Sure some players and some positions can be switched, because of the commonalities or roles and/ the individual characteristics of a player. Like a Dm to a CB or a hard tackling defensively responsible CM ti DM. But putting a small speedy player used to running up the wings, to DM does not seem a natural switch. I guess is that he wanted him for his speed and stamina, and auro is a defensive player, but it does not seem to fit and there has been no growth.
    i suspect his motives Are deeper but still flawed. They want a defensive high player on that side to imbalance the other team. If you cough the ball up wide on a press, it forces central players to come over and help.

Problematically, it’s far too one dimensional and robs you of a key point of attack. It’s an occasional strategy, if that’s the aim, not something that can underpin a team’s offensive approach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ At least you saw a deeper logic. You are probably right, but as you said that is an occasional strategy.

I was also going to note, in my other comment, even if he proves adequate defensively at DM spot, once he gets the ball being in the middle of the park having to distribute is again a very different position then being on the wing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ At least you saw a deeper logic. You are probably right, but as you said that is an occasional strategy.

I was also going to note, in my other comment, even if he proves adequate defensively at DM spot, once he gets the ball being in the middle of the park having to distribute is again a very different position then being on the wing.
    good point.

Mark Delgado is a top notch distributor but it’s clear his comfort zone is so much greater centrally, when he has options in all directions rather than working in from the sideline.

Plus it’s just limiting his skill set to use him there, while forcing him into speed and offensive roles he has hardly touched during his career. It’s just not sensible, not in-season.

It’s like they think fans have no nuance to their positions. Of course most of these guys are talented enough to retrain or move to another spot, but that doesn’t make it the percentage move.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=rydermike;1935927]It's one thing to use players out of position mid-game in an emergency when there's injuries/red cards etc and no readily available sub for that spot. It's another thing when you have better options and ignore them.

If we were in a situation where there was three subs (not five like now), Delgado had already been subbed out, and then Bradley gets injured in the 70th and on your bench you only have Zavaleta, Morrow, Auro, and Westberg left, then sure throw Auro on as DM. That's the only time Auro should be playing CM over RB, even though he's done a decent job there. When you do it as the starting lineup with Delgado/Priso/Okello/Osorio/Bradley all available for multiple games, it makes zero sense.[/QUOTE}

It seems intuitively obvious.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto